• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Chart Project 2015 - Calling Captain Falcon Mains!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Hello Captain Falcon boards,

I'm Zareidriel. Over in this thread a guy called Assassannerr made a matchup chart, and asked people to help fill it out. It seems like it would be a cool thing to have. With once glance you could have a rough idea of a matchup. It won't be perfect, but for our first go at it in 2015 we're aiming for "somewhat functional."

So here's what I'm going to do. Go to every Character Discussion board, and ask the folks there if they wouldn't mind contributing. To submit one vote, you'll have to fill out one of these:

////////////******
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Greninja
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Luigi
Mario
Dr. Mario
Marth
Lucina
Metaknight
Ness
Olimar
Palutena
Pikachu
Pit
Dark Pit
Peach
Zelda
R.O.B.
Robin
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zero Suit Samus
Megaman
Pacman
Sonic
Ryu
Roy
Mewtwo
Lucas
Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner
******//////////

Mark each character with a + for a match where Captain Falcon HAS THE ADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a - for a match where Captain Falcon HAS THE DISADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a number 0 for a match you feel is very even.

NOTE THAT I AM ONLY TAKING VOTES FROM MEMBERS WITH Captain Falcon IN THEIR PROFILE BAR. It can be as either "Wii U Main" or "3DS Main". But if Captain Falcon is is neither one of those slots when I count the votes on Friday, Nov 13, it won't be counted.

(Yes, for the avid democrats out there, that means you can vote for one other character as well.)

Like I said, they won't be perfect, and each board will probably be a little biased toward their own respective character. But the results should be interesting regardless.

If this thing is successful maybe we'll do a revised version in 2016.

Thanks very much for participating! We need as many votes as possible for each character so please submit a ballot!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Voting closes tomorrow at midnight. Get those ballots in!

...wow, none, Captain Falcon boards? I didn't notice that until just now lol. I could really use some votes if anyone's got the time.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's because Falcons don't theory craft. this initiative might be interesting but it being a vote completely nullifies its value. The fact that the majority of players isn't good either at playing or understanding the game is going to make the results more of a popularity contest than anything else.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
That's because Falcons don't theory craft. this initiative might be interesting but it being a vote completely nullifies its value. The fact that the majority of players isn't good either at playing or understanding the game is going to make the results more of a popularity contest than anything else.
You're not the first person that brought up these problems with my project, and you won't be the last. The phrase "Popularity Contest" wouldn't really apply since that would imply more votes = better matchup spread results. I'm not sure I agree that it being a vote "nullifies" its value, though you could certainly say it's not the optimum method. Check out what this guy said:

I find it really annoying that a bunch of character boards keep bringing up whats wrong with this idea and things like: match up charts dont work, just look at our 2000 pages of matchup discussion, this games too young, other peoples votes are stupid, etc. These comments are all ridiculous, these are the main reason we havent had any progress towards making a matchup chart, everyone just puts down the idea right away. Its actually very simple, we just need to do something like this to take a first step towards having a general matchup chart. It may not be anywhere near perfect and it may change with updates, but we will simply just update this match up chart and fix it up as necessary. People need to stop commenting on why it wont work and just give it a try or dont comply. Say nothing or just stick to the rules that the topic says and the person organizing this is approaching with. If there are flaws with this matchup chart, we can deal with them when the time comes but something is better than nothing.
I love the last thing he said. "Something is better than nothing." Sure, my methods aren't perfect. And maybe Falcons don't like to theorycraft. But the fact is, this project is ending tonight, it's basically complete, and the fact also remains that Falcon is currently the only character board with no votes. If you don't want to participate, that's fine, I can't force you. But I would really appreciate a vote or two, and so would Smashboards.

C'mon, won't you...show...me your moves? :crying:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Okay let me add some more to my previous post, and take that from someone who has been part of the discussion panel for the two last matchup charts for Brawl : even amongst the most knowledgeable brawl players there were only are a few that knew how to analyze and discuss a matchup 5 years into the game. Why do you expect a vote that takes into account the opinion of everyone to have any meaning ? This system already exists on eventhubs and everyone agrees the results are a joke. This might sound elitist but really nobody has a clue of what they are talking about, matchups are supposed to take the highest competitive level into account and 95% of the playerbase doesn't know that (and those who do don't know how to put it into words).

Wanting votes just for the sake of the chart not being empty is ridiculous too. What you're trying to make isn't a comparison tool but a work of abstract art.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
So then I am an artist? You are too kind. :colorful:

I believe this system is, with all its many flaws, still vastly superior to Eventhubs. The former is on a smash-only dedicated site. The voters must be at least somewhat dedicated to their main, at the very least enough to edit their profile to include the one (or two) character(s) they choose to vote for. They then have to post non-Anonymously with their character's complete matchup spread.

On the latter, some random Mortal Combat player can log in and say that Little Mac beats Sheik.

But obviously you won't be convinced, so I'm not going to try. Instead, let me say, like I said in the original Matchup Chart thread, I will be continuing to take votes for characters with less than 5 votes, so until the chart is released, if there are any Falcons that would like to submit one, feel free. If not, that's fine, I'll just talk to some Falcons I know and get the matchups that way.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
You can just use all the matchups the other way around as well can't you? Like for example if 3 people on the rosalina say the mu is even, and no one says anything here, then in the chart just put rosalina vs falcon down as an even matchup. And do that for the rest of the falcon mus, obviously not preferred but best we can do

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Nah, part of the cool thing of this whole chart is finding out what the boards say about each other. Regurgitating the matchups the other way around takes all the zazz out of it for me.

Sooooo in this case I just got the votes from elsewhere, so

Zareidriel Zareidriel Falcon votes tallied

Top Bottom