• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Matchup Breakdown: Chillin vs. Leffen Salty Suite

Who will win this salty match?

• Liquid'Chillin

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Leffen

Votes: 51 65.4%

• Total voters

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's called THE SALTY SUITE for a reason.

Besides that, all this heat got attention on both guys. Chillin and Leffen both got a ton of new Twitch subs, Twitch followers, fans overall, YouTube views, sponsorship interest, Twitter followers, etc.

Dude LEFFEN IS TRENDING ON TWITTER IN AMERICA AND EUROPE!!! So it the Salty Suite!!!
Also PC Chris vs Ken was too sweet

Leffen brought the salty for his match AND the previous one as well.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
You just feel awful about this, like Leffen is a damn good player but I feel like Chillin knew this would happen and he just did it anyways cuz the hype, despite throwing everything out in the process.

Like, it was dumb but it was bold. He didn't back out.....eugh, I feel bad. When Chillin said "My B" I like, felt it, man. My heart.

Last edited:

IvanTehFennec

FenFox.tk (FNFX)
NNID
IvanTehFennec
Chillin got decimated. Also, why didn't he run that rap ****eo by anyone else first? That thing was so awful.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Leffen/Mango is now the #1 topic on Reddit and has been for about an hour.

WE MADE IT MELEEHEADS!!!
Also PC Chris vs Ken was too sweet

Leffen brought the salty for his match AND the previous one as well.
Yeah PC Chris vs. Ken was more like "friendlies with stakes" lol.

Leffen brought literally everything salty. He sandbagged so Chillin could catch up and seem like he's gonna win, then he'd murder his soul. It was a beautiful piece of psychological destruction on the behalf of Leffen. He truly is the greatest heel in competitive Smash Bros. history.

As a smark, I gotta mark out for him! :rotfl:

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Indeed. I'm not going to pretend that it was a close set, because it wasn't. But this match was not about the result. Yes, Leffen beat Chillin five games to zero. That does not matter. What matters is the player's reactions to the game. Chillin responded responsibly and gracefully. He tweeted after the match:

"Really need to work on my composure in high pressure situations. Lost momentum way too easily. Good **** to @L3ff3n for backing up his talk."

I think we all can agree that is a fair, peaceful and mature reaction to the game. Leffen on the other hand, had other ideas.

After the match, Leffen tweeted out the following:

"Well, that was free as ****, just as expected."

"I feel really really bad for all the people who were stupid enough to bet on @LiquidChillin. He was even worse than I though LOL"

and,

"With that said, back to being a has-been you go.
Take that cringey ass diss track on the way out, and don't you ever touch my color again."

And with that, Leffen tipped his hand. Leffen truly showed the world what he was. He showed that he is one hell of a smasher, amazing, and his work ethic and level of talent warrant nothing but respect. While what he displayed on the CRT was impressive, what he displayed in his words, emotions and actions could not have been a more different story. Leffen proved to everyone that he can win, and win in style, but while doing that, he put on center stage, that he was a rotten human being. He won the hundred dollars and original Fox color, but absolutely lost every single person's respect. Honor is not a word Leffen recognizes. When Prog and D1 said that the match was about pride, they were wrong. In the end, the match was about how big of an ass Leffen could make himself out to be. The responsibility was Leffen's, to handle his victory with grace and maturity, but he could not have handled the situation worse. Leffen does not deserve yours, or anybody's respect as a human being. He more than proved that to us after the match.

If Leffen is content with being a walking piece of trash, but a walking piece of trash that is an excellent smash player, that is his choice, and he is allowed to make that choice. I just want to make sure that everyone can formulate their own opinions of the situation with the information I provided. I have never met Leffen in person, and do not know for a fact that he is a douche, but from what I've observed, I feel like I have enough data, and I'm comfortable making the assumption that he is in fact, a douche.

I'm looking forward to Mango teaching Leffen a lesson if they meet in bracket.

TL;DR - Leffen's a douche.

Oobz

Smash Rookie
Salty Suite seems like a lot of hyped up drama. I saw a lot of awkward cringe worthy moments thanks to scars questions. It's way too WWE to me. If I was a top player I wouldn't bother getting involved in manufactured hyped up nerd rage.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
I didnt care for Leffen before this match, but i like him after tonight. I dont care that Leffen was still talking trash after the game was over via twitter. Just because the match ended should the anger/trash talk go away? I don't think so. I cant blame Leffen for still being hype after the match and thinking all that "drama" for a 5-0 beatdown.

Hope we see Mango vs Leffen

Last edited:

MasterTK

Smash Apprentice
Indeed. I'm not going to pretend that it was a close set, because it wasn't. But this match was not about the result. Yes, Leffen beat Chillin five games to zero. That does not matter. What matters is the player's reactions to the game. Chillin responded responsibly and gracefully.
Just stop that bull****. Chillin lost his fight and of course he is trying to save his face after that. What else he could do? If Chillin had won the set, it would be the other way around.

Grats and mad respects for Leffen. My new favourite Smash player.. gave me some good laughs. lol. Keep that attitude and don't be an another boring "yes yes - let's hug" -player.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Salty Suite= WWE

Even had Mang0 callin out Leffen to avenge his country.

That's not an excuse to be a douche.
I see nothing wrong with Leffen. Chillin was talkin crap too, but what's he gonna say now? He just got FLOORED by Leffen. And if you see his interview at BEAST 5, he says he WISHES Chillin was better, so he would be a goal to strive for, to practice for, but that's not the reality.

Besides, Leffen is like an anime antagonist, yo, I love that sh*t :3

I truly do wanna see Leffen overthrow the gods.

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Just stop that bull****. Chillin lost his fight and of course he is trying to save his face after that. What else he could do? If Chillin had won the set, it would be the other way around.
I think you're partially right. Chillin lost pretty bad, and I agree with you in the fact that he was trying to save his ass, but he did it well. When Leffen won, he directly chose to be as disrespectful and grimy as possible. When Chillin lost, he basically said: "Yeah I lost. I buckled under the pressure. Leffen backed up his talk." When Leffen won, he basically said: "**** you Chillin, you suck. Just give up." And I don't know how anyone could possibly respect that.

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
I see nothing wrong with Leffen. Chillin was talkin crap too, but what's he gonna say now? He just got FLOORED by Leffen. And if you see his interview at BEAST 5, he says he WISHES Chillin was better, so he would be a goal to strive for, to practice for, but that's not the reality.
Wait, you see NOTHING wrong with Leffen? Yes, Chillin was talking trash too, they were caught up in the Salty Suite hype. When Chillin lost, he didn't blow up and act childishly. Leffen did exactly that. Do people really think that winning gives you a free pass to be a douche?

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm not going to say the way Leffen acted was right, but it's necessary I think. Every community needs a villain and I think Leffen is definitely shaping up to be one, and this makes people who would normally not care just gun for him or work harder vs. him to get the crowd hype and the idea that they just beat the villain.

Whatever excites the crowd, it's like what Liquid Ken said, "Melee is some WWE **** now"

MegaShuckle

Smash Rookie
This is my B. There are many like it but this one is mine -Chillin

Last edited:

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to say the way Leffen acted was right, but it's necessary I think. Every community needs a villain and I think Leffen is definitely shaping up to be one, and this makes people who would normally not care just gun for him or work harder vs. him to get the crowd hype and the idea that they just beat the villain.

Whatever excites the crowd, it's like what Liquid Ken said, "Melee is some WWE **** now"
Y'know what? I agree with you, but I just really don't want Leffen to spread his disease and turn the smash community into a community centered around disrespect.

And yeah, there were moments at the salty suite that oddly seemed fake and produced. I hope that doesn't continue as well.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wait, you see NOTHING wrong with Leffen? Yes, Chillin was talking trash too, they were caught up in the Salty Suite hype. When Chillin lost, he didn't blow up and act childishly. Leffen did exactly that. Do people really think that winning gives you a free pass to be a douche?
Let's be honest, here. If Chillin won, he wouldn't be all carefree and not actin childishly, yo he'd be LIVIN IT UP.

Besides, I see no reason to NOT be smug, he wanted to prove a point. He proved it. Should all of smash community be like that? no.

But the fact we have one guy like that, and he's THIS good, it's awesome.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
After Chillin released the cringe-inducing diss track I kind of decided I didn't care who won. Yeah Leffen is an ass but I couldn't make it through one minute of the video before I had to close it.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
LMAO Yeah I think Chillin shouldn't have released that diss track. I honestly think he should've been a suave gentleman the whole way through just to induce more crowd feels, ya know? IDK LOL the track was just like, if Chillin WON it would've gone down in history but obviously....

I did like the Leffen controller toss remix that dropped the beat though.

Last edited:

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Let's be honest, here. If Chillin won, he wouldn't be all carefree and not actin childishly, yo he'd be LIVIN IT UP.

Besides, I see no reason to NOT be smug, he wanted to prove a point. He proved it. Should all of smash community be like that? no.

But the fact we have one guy like that, and he's THIS good, it's awesome.
You're right, if Chillin won, he'd be ecstatic, because it would be a massive upset. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be deliberately degrading Leffen the way Leffen did to him. I know I've said it a lot at this point, but winning does not give you a free pass to act like a douche. And everyone realizes that Leffen is the villain of the community. Of course I expected Leffen to make a few comments. But he took disrespect to a new level, and that is not acceptable.

Neil.

Smash Rookie
Why are people downplaying the annihilation that took place because of Leffen's actions after he won?? We all knew that Leffen is an as***le and it was to be expected lol

Both players talked mad **** before the match (I'd even argue that Chillin was far more cocky than Leffen after that rap video he made lololol but that's besides the point) and only 1 player backed up his **** talking and that was Leffen. PERIOD

#My B

Last edited:

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
LMAO Yeah I think Chillin shouldn't have released that diss track. I honestly think he should've been a suave gentleman the whole way through just to induce more crowd feels, ya know? IDK LOL the track was just like, if Chillin WON it would've gone down in history but obviously....

I did like the Leffen controller toss remix that dropped the beat though.
Yeah... the diss track didn't make anything any better. But yeah, Chillin probably should have acted more humble, he did know that he was the underdog by a large margin.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Why are people downplaying the annihilation that took place because of Leffen's actions after he won?? We all knew that Leffen is an as***le and it was to be expected when he won lol

Both players talked mad **** before the match (I'd even argue that Chillin was far more cocky than Leffen after that rap video he made lololol but that's besides the point) and only 1 player backed up his **** talking and that was Leffen. PERIOD

#My B
Exactly. If you're going to talk, you might as well back it up. See Richard Sherman in the NFL, Conor McGregor in the UFC, etc. You can call Leffen all sorts of names if you want, but you can't say he's bad.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You're right, if Chillin won, he'd be ecstatic, because it would be a massive upset. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be deliberately degrading Leffen the way Leffen did to him. I know I've said it a lot at this point, but winning does not give you a free pass to act like a douche. And everyone realizes that Leffen is the villain of the community. Of course I expected Leffen to make a few comments. But he took disrespect to a new level, and that is not acceptable.
I'll just leave you with some food for thought.

The internet is ripping Chillin a new one far better than Leffen ever could.

#MyB

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Good to see other people on here that aren't being little girls about this. I'm honestly confused by the people claiming "disrespect". Have you never played a pick up game or sports of any kind (those can get way more disrespectful and even physical) and most times its still in good fun. Its a video game I never get mad when my boys or people online talk trash when their winning. I'd do and do the same thing. The better play can talk all the smack they want its part of the fun and fuels competition. If you let someone trolling you in a video game get under your skin your a man child and need to get out more. That said chillin set himself up for all the salt he got because so much of his ego was being put on the line and all in front of the community/game he loves. Add his **** talking and antics (diss track lol) before the matches even came into play and after the first two games he was sitting there with egg on his face. With that "damn I ****ed up look". If you have to say it out loud then it probably isn't true. Chillin hold this massive L and frame it on your wall lol. All that said I was highly entertained and you could taste the salt through the screen. Smack talking is fun and smash could use more if it being a fighting game.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's not an excuse to be a douche.
Look at it more as theater than actual reality. Like a scripted drama. Literally pro wrestling status.

Sure, they meant it by stating their points and defending their egos, but they brought their personalities from a 5 to a 10. They went overboard because that's how you promote things.

It's the classic wrestling heel vs. face program, which always draws eyes. That's why everything adapts it. Movies, boxing Muhammad Ali anyone?), football (Richard Sherman anyone? Tom Brady anyone?), TV shows, etc. etc. etc.

Nearly all rivalries to some extent fabricated with the intensity, and it's okay to admit that and still enjoy it. It's called "suspension of disbelief," which is why pro wrestling, science fiction, and fantasy elements are still accepted in modern civilized society. We recognize it is real, but are willing to pretend like it isn't. Think of it like that, but on a scale from 1 to 10 a 2 at the highest, but more likely a 1.

Both of them made a lot of money out of it via Twitch subscriptions, and VGBootCamp likely did as well (if I were GimR, I'd send Leffen a love letter on Valentine's Day, lol). Leffen partially got a sponsor out of it. Both got eyes on them, and the viewership for all of their matches shot up. This match had an insane amount of viewers (again GimR, send Leffen a love letter), and pushed Mango vs. Leffen to peak out at over 116,000 concurrent viewers live as it happened, which was at like 3 in the morning ON THE EAST COAST!!!

Those numbers, that attention, that stuff... that's good for competitive Smash. It brought eyes to not just those matches but other matches as well, and heck, other games. Melee players should be lining up and thanking them for that exposure, because that's gonna get some people some free looks from potential sponsored eSports team. Heck, even Smash Wii U players will benefit from this. Bringing eyes to the product except in the case of scandals is always a good thing. Competitive smash enthusiasts need to think of ways to do this, and Leffen and Chillin found a way by being themselves, all while bringing their personalities and egos up from a 5 to a 10.

If you want competitive Smash to grow, you need stuff that brings eyes to the table. Good feuds, great heels to boo against, great faces to cheer, rivalries, stakes, a reason to care, all those things bring eyes, and all those things were big draws at APEX 2015 and were a reason why everyone benefited from Leffen vs. Chillindude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom