• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Re-Discussion: Kirby

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We really need to start getting videos of Yoshi Vs Kirby/everyone else in the other threads as well. Have any Kewkky in the Kirby boards video thread? I'm gonna check the Yoshi boards video thread just in case, but I won't be able to watch the matches due to bad internet.
So I need another Yoshi main who'll vote between it being a good example of the MU or not.

Frankly, I have no Kirby videos since I've never played one that had A Set or Match recorded.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sadly, only Yoshi videos I have are from over two years ago, from when I started using Kirby in Brawl. Neither me or my friend were any good at that time, we sucked pretty freakin' bad. As for the Kirby boards, nope. It's a rare sight to see any Yoshi players fighting Kirby players, considering the large amount of high-tier and top-tier character mainers. :/

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yeah, this MU is really uncommon. I've been like, a nazi as far as getting my vids recently. I keep track of people's Wiis and I bring my own card around and everything. No more crap reasons for missing stuff.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I have some videos against Kirby, but they're fairly old. Bundtcake used to use his Kirby along with his ROB against me, but he hasn't used anybody other than ROB against me in quite a while. -.-

:005:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I had some exp on the matchup. Played against an AL Kirby named george during MLG Columbus. Problem was, there was no videos to save :(

D

Deleted member

Kewwky, the reason yoshis camping works against kirby is because while kirby is certainly mobile in the air, he is a slow type of mobile, if u get what im saying. His airspeed is slow, his jumps are slow, and eggs are perfectly suited for catching a jumping kirby, just based on their overall speed. TL and snake and falco all have much different methods of camping which are not quite as effective against kirbys jumping, because they cant hit those angles that kirby exploits while hes jumping. Kirby is also not a strong ground approacher.

ZSS has a much easier time dealing with eggs, because her speed in the air and on the ground is much better, despite not being as versitile in the air. She can simply out maneuver eggs in a way that kirby cannot.

Id say its even, i dont think we win, and if we do, not by much.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
The only real good player that I play mains kirby and I'd say the matchup is pretty even. We usually always get above 100% on our last lives but he usually wins. I'm not sure if it is simply because we've been playing together for 2 years, so we know the others tricks, or if it is the MU.

My usually plan of attack is to try to camp out and not do anything risky until I'm above 40%, mostly because of his kirby grab combos. I can usually bait him into approaching, but his bair is pretty fast and has good range so he sometimes can hit me with it as I'm releasing an egg. If you are getting back to the stage, do not try to attack him, he should beat our attacks every time. If you attack him offstage at all, only do it when your chasing him, never when he's chasing you. He can also duck grabs so never run grab him only pivot. Also, to make sure he doesn't miss our second grab, you can always do a down tilt after your first jab and it will always hit, usually causing more damage and cause a possible trip. You can try to throw eggs on the ledge but be careful because he can easily kirbycide you from that position. Also, when approaching with our bair, it can stab if their shield doesn't start close to fresh but, if they are able to shield it all, they can get an easy grab on you or counter attack. Egg lay is not too effective because it is hard to grab him and his lightness usually allows him to fly away, making it hard to hit him while he is in the egg.

To kill him is usually the hardest part. Though he is light, he can usually dodge most of our killing attacks. Some of the ways I usually kill him is with uair, u-smash , and down b. With u-smash and uair, the easiest way is to hit him with an egg when he is close and the hit him with either while in hitstun. However, because the distance is so close, if the egg misses, kirby can start hitting you, making it very risky. Also, down-b is also very effective becuase if you can spot dodge a grab you are able to do a down-b and start killing him somewhere around 125% to 150%. Lastly, with him being so light, a dash attack can kill him, depending on stage location, from about 150% on, though it is also risky. I'm not saying those are the only ways to kill him, those are just the most effective I've found.

In conclusion, I believe that, in a best case senario, it is a 50:50 matchup, but I don't think it will ever be in yoshi's favor and can get worst from there, such as a 55:45 with the advantage to kirby.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
*comes in like a ****ing hero* I might be able to get some kirby vids recorded. There is a decent Kirby main around my area and there will probably be a smashfest this weekend. If we can contact him (my phone asploded so i would need someone else to do it for me) he'll probably go, he's really good about making it to stuff if he's informed, which he usually isnt lol.

As for how the MU works, run away and watch for his grabs at low %, and his smashes at high/medium %. Watch for kirbycides and camp dat mofo. Pivot grab beats out his bair, so if he commits, down throw dat puffball and try to read his landing to build damage. Camp him and play it safe as much as possible. Egg lay can wall him really well as he lacks speed and range, but when he gets in, he can wreck you. He's basically (MU wise, not character wise) like a much better Luigi.

Top Bottom