• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export - Mario

Jet300

Smash Ace
Jiggs vs Mario IMO 0 even.
Jiggs can get pass Mario fire balls very easy. And she's whoops mario's *** off the the stage of his horrible recovery. She can combo well and set up for a rest (That happen to me before). Her problems in this MU is dying to ****ing early. She dies in 70% with poor DI.

Rainbow criuse and Brian star are good counter pick stages against Mario. Those stages are good for Air characters like Jiggs.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
It's our disadvantage. We lost due to fireballs and kill power.
We can space easily but mario wins.

Discuss how this MU should be played!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Since Mario weighs more than Jigglypuff, trades go in Mario's favor. And the only thing that isn't in Mario's favor or is a tie is the fact that Jigglypuff can gimp Mario.

So you have three choices,
A. Outplay the Mario and be more of a skilled player than he is
B. Learn to effectivly gimp him.
C. Time him out

Now, I personally I would treat this matchup the same as fighting Diddy Kong. You need to play time out Jigglypuff by air camping. There's not a whole Mario can do to stop this. So start the match out by trading hits with him, get the % lead and start running away. Wait for Mario to get anxious and lure him to the edge, thats where you want to be playing this match and since you're the one who can time him out you get to pick what part of the stage you get to fight at. Then fight him at the ledge and try to gimp him. The only real difference between fighting Diddy or Mario is that Diddy has better ground pressure and can cause much more damage while against Mario you don't have banana's to throw back at him.

Even if you don't have the % lead, stay calm and continue to air camp. People will get annoyed quickly and will approach even if they are winning. In my matches against Player-1's Diddy I actually was losing for the majority of the match. It wasn't until the last 20 seconds did I start to catch up and get the lead in the last 3 seconds of the game.

He had a stock lead against me with less than a minute left, he got too anxious and because of that I was able to gimp him. Then with a series of failed drill rest attempts in the last 20 seconds I actually started to catch up % wise. Then with a final back air I was able to get a 1% lead right before the time was over.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The good thing with Mario is that save for his Fsmash he has no disjoint, which means that you can beat pretty much anything he has with Pound. It can even beat a fireball then hit Mario afterwards, inducing tons of rage.

He also has no way to force Jiggs to approach. His fireballs are annoying until you learn the timing to PS them, then you can just walk+PS into mid range where he'll get punished for fireballing and face the Pound wall if he approaches.

The gimp isn't hard to pull of since you don't have to push him far offstage for him to die.

That's it for the good part, now he lives longer, kills faster and has a faster moveset overall.
He can kill with all of his smashes (Usmash OOS makes Pound unsafe on shield) and his Bthrow.

-1 seems legit to me.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Approach with nair. It's out for a long time and goes trough fireballs. It's pretty safe and your best options against fireball spammy marios.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
His fireballs, I find, aren't that big a deal in the MU as long as you air camp.

The key here is not being greedy and going for followups, since they can lead to trades.

I like running a lot here and seeing how fsmash happy they are. I find that average to above-average Marios have a habit of thinking fsmash is safe for some reason. If you find a Mario like this, the move's pretty easy to bait and punish.

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I actually use Mario a lot (lol at all the MU discussions just happening to be about characters I play) and from Ive seen, Mario has a solid +1 advantage. His bair keeps you out all day, his uair is great when Puff is above him, his dair racks up damage like a boss, and almost nothing is safe on shield due to his Up B OoS and it's ridiculous speed and disjoint (seriously, just look at dat disjoint) The only reason I would say it isnt any harder than -1 for Jiggs, is, tbh, Mario has a hard tim killing jiggs. Sure, he can get the damage, keep her out, etc, but Mario really doesnt have anything to kill with so long as you watch for that usmash. His bthrow eventually kills around 150%, but good luck grabbing Jiggs with Mario, his fsmash is hard as hell to land on Puff due to her air speed, bair and uair are gonna be stale up the butt so good luck killing with those, really, Mario will only be killing with usmash and utilt to punish your spacing.

Now, from Jiggs' point of view, Mario is going to Wall you balls out. His bair/uair will keep you from getting in on him, and his fireballs will slightly disrupt your landing to refresh jumps (they arent a big deal, but youll still be annoyed by them, just bair/fair them to land over them if need be). Just keep the pressure on and do your best to out space him, and eventually you'll get him, and when you do, try to get him above you cuz Mario has nothing that protects him from below. Dont beat on his shield cuz his OoS options are legit, and gimp him HARD. Be careful Mario is near the ledge however, as his SJP is stupid fast, reaches hella far, and has massive priority (and it would suck to be stage spiked by it), so once he's in Up B range from the ledge, just let him grab it (or edge hog him if you are positive it will work) cuz you dont wanna take a shoryuken to the dong. Once he does hit the ledge, pressure him as hard as you can so he cant get back on stage, and punish that RCO lag with whatever you can, and try to force him back offstage again.

Would say more, but im tired, might add more later if I feel the need.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I highly doubt that, the separate hits are really close to each other (MK's Nado status, only you can DI it) and the hitboxes are huge, so there arent any hurtboxes from Mario hanging out there.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I actually love this matchup! Mostly because there are many tools that each can counter against. For example, the fireball can easily be avoided and cancelled, but get too close and Mario and either bair or uair you. Mario does beat a lot of puff's ground game, like the jab cancel smash shenanigans, but Jiggs can just float and stay off the ground. As soon as you get Mario off the stage, he's gimp city. A lot of Mario's I've played throw up bair walls, uair, or try to catch jiggs off guard with a timed smash. Ways I encounter this are: 1) just fly on the other side of him and bair him back. 2) bait a bair and as soon as Mario pulls in the legs, punish. 3) Attack towards the angle. Jigg's bair is janky enough that it would hit at a diagonal. To counter the uair, I just do a well-timed DACUS or do a well-timed dash attack . Most importantly, save your dash attack and fair untill they're in killing range (Mario is at like 90 on edge and dash is about the same)

How you play against Mario?

1) Bait and punish
2) throw off the edge and gimp
3) Stay off the ground
4) Mostly throw out bairs and pounds to rack up damage.

My Verdict: If it's just the characters, like just picking up, I think it's -1 (-.5 if there is one) Jiggs
If Jiggs knows what she's doing and so does the Mario, I think it's +0 even

Top Bottom