• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export - Captain Falcon

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
This is my old information. So it may be outdated.

Neutral
---Summary---
**Low Tier

I would say that we have an advantage on Captain Falcon. His recovery really isn’t that good and his moves aren’t too deadly. Off the edge is where we reign once again. You’ll notice one of the biggest places I’ll always discuss about Jigglypuff is off of the edge and that’s because a good Jigglypuff player always gets their opponent off the side of the stage. Captain Falcon’s ground game isn’t too much better than ours if at all. Hit best kill moves are in the air.

The only main advantages I see is his speed. Besides that we have more priority in air and we can put up a good fight on the ground. Our grab game is far superior to his. There are a few ground attacks he has that can do some damage but those can be spaced or shielded for a shield grab. Below I will have the main attacks you’ll see in the air and on the ground along with what you can do to avoid it or counter it.

---Moves to look out for---​

Jab​
The jab comes out on frame 3.
Captain Falcon’s jab can be jab cancelled and can be very annoying to rack up damage. Good CF’s will use this jab to refresh their KO moves as well. This jab can work similarly to Falco’s jab in that a Jab -> Grab is possible. The jab infinite (holding down jab) is used primarily at lower percents and won’t be seen very often when you’re at higher percents. Remember that CF’s grab is one of, if not, the worst in the game. The jab can be punished with a shield grab or a OOS Dair. If you see the jab cancel start to come out, just get out of jabs range and then reapproach.

Fsmash
The hitbox hits on frame 19.
The Fsmash is used for punishing bad rolls and can be used as a kill move. The cool down lag is pretty horrific on this attack so once you shield it you are open to do most attacks. Your best options are to SH fair or OOS Dair after the attack. However this attack can be stutterstepped which gives the attack a little bit more range. This isn’t necessarily a move to be scared of, just be aware of making bad rolls and being predictable.​

Dsmash​
The attack hits on frame 19/29.
This attack is also used for punishing spot dodges or bad rolls. It has kill potential as well. Try not to be in CF’s grill when you’re fighting him because his up-close on ground game is superior to ours. As with fighting most characters, stay in the air above him. Don’t be scared to space retreating B/F/Nairs because captain falcon’s grab isn’t going to be able to getcha unless you really can’t space well. You could always try to bait the Dsmash and punish with OOS Dair. If you see the opponent prat fall during the Dair you can know that if you push your momentum onto the opponent you can try to land a rest. If you do this even once, whenever a Dair is done to your opponent it will make them want to shield when the attack is done, setting you up for a grab.

DownB, SideB(grounded) and Dash Attack
Frame data doesn’t matter.
These attacks will hit your shield and give you 90 minutes of lag time to punish. Just punish the normal Jigglypuff way and Shield Grab and choose the throw of your choice. Short hop N/B/Fair to punish. The only exception to these is the side B. The side B on the ground has less ending lag then the others and may be harder to punish. He’s too far away to grab unless you time it to make sure his fist is completely in the air. But even then it’s safer to punish with a dash attack, or back up and reapproach.​

Usmash
Hit comes out on frame 22/28
This attack is used commonly as a hyphen smash so if you see the falcon sprinting towards you and you are hovering in the air down towards him don’t be scared to throw out pound. One of the best ways to hit pound is having your opponent run into you. This works well for DACUS’ such as mortar slides. Regardless, if both hits hit you then it’ll rack up some damage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The Knee (Fair) and Bair
The knee hits on frame 14 and bair hits on frame 10.
This move will KO pretty early as compared to the rest of his moveset. The sweetspot makes time stop and rockets you offstage after any percent past 85% (with DI). Pound will beat this since the opening frames are the sweet spotted ones. Though watch out for the back air as well for it can kill at the 100%+. In the air try to Wall Of Pain with back air or nair to stop his recovery. Try to bait him to attack you offstage and then punish for them for coming out and trying jigglypuff in the air.​

Uair and Dair
Uair hits on frame 6 and Dair hits on 16.
Uair is Captain Falcon's fastest aerial to come out. It's pretty good at juggling in the air and getting the opponent offstage. It has a surprising amount of kill power, so be careful​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
---Moves that kill---
Usmash will kill at 83% without DI.
The Knee will kill at 65% without DI

Fsmash will kill at 90%

Uair will kill at 125% from mid final D but will kill at 100% offstage.

Falcon Punch will kill at 45% without DI. (You can duck) --- Depressing

Bair will kill at 90% offstage without DI.​

---Moves that kill---

Rest will kill at 79%

Rollout will kill at 85%

Fair will kill at 90+ off the edge

Utilt will kill at 140%

Usmash will kill at 135%

---Jigglypuff’s Advantages---
1. As with most characters her gimping abilities make her have an upper hand. Cap’n Falcon’s recovery isn’t that good and has very awkward trajectory. If he attempts to recover using the side B in the air and spikes you, you might still be able to recover. If he goes for the UpB you can air dodge or even Dair and follow up.

2. Jigglypuff’s pound has a great priority over a lot of grounded and aerial attacks falcon throws out. Use that and grabs a lot when on the ground. Grabs are one of jigglypuff’s best characteristics in her moveset. She has great grab range and with a guaranteed 13% per pummel->throw that’s pretty nice. Just think…. Dair -> Grab - > Two pummels - > Fresh throw. That’s a maximum of 32%. That’s crazy.

3. Aerial game with jigglypuff is superior to falcons as well. Of course remember, priority is nothing more than who spaces their move better. So when you do your attacks remember that Bair and Fair will kill you at high percents… Keep your distance and Bair the hell out of falcon. He has no projectiles. So don’t be scared.​

Lets start!​

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is IMO Puffs advantage but it's a close fight anyways.

Do not go above him much, his fast ground speed combined with a great uair is not a joke.
Puff has an easy time avoiding his bread and butter jab to grab combo since we can pretty much just DI away and he'll miss. Do not underrate his jab though, there are other awesome things he can do with it.
From my experience this is a fight between ground and aerial mobility. Puff and Falcon are both polar opposite in that regard.
He is very easy to gimp compared to many characters and it's very risky for them to attempt to gimp us since we can mixup so well.
Don't miss your spacing, he can combat us with his bair if we make a mistake, otherwise I think we can kinda stop him from approaching, which he already sucks at.
Pivot grab grounded approaches and be careful about his nair.
If you get really predictable a knee WILL hurt you, but you shouldn't get hit at all unless you get careless. Watch out for walljump -> knee on YI, it might surprise you.
He is very easy to combo with his limited aerials from proper angles. I probably get the most WoPs and stuff on Falcons.
He doesn't really have much advantage over us really, he can antiair with his uair and he obviously has more range than us, but we can easily combat it and it calls for an even MU.

For stages I would avoid platforms, they are pretty good for him.
I would pick stuff like FD against him personally.

Kaptain

Smash Ace
For me I say this is one of the few fights to stay grounded for. He is deadlier in the air than he is on the ground. And since were tiny, its hard for him to land that knee. Or that bair. The only thing is see we need to really watch for is that falcon kick. It can cover alot of ground on us and were not that fast while on the ground. Most times if spaced correctly we either get hit or we cannot punish.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Dead even IMO.

• Falcon lives much longer and KOs earlier.
  • Falcon outranges Jiggz.
  • Falcon has far superior ground speed.
  • Neither character can force an approach.
  • Jiggz has better juggling/comboing options.
  • Jiggz has slightly better air mobility (Falcon is 5th best, mind you).
  • Jiggly can gimp us (it's not that easy with out Up-B though).

Slightly biased reasoning, but I have to in order to show Falcon's point of view.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Helmet, i appreciate that.
Does Cap'n Falcon truly have a GR to Up+B? I was doing testing and i didn't see it actually working.

Do you know the answer? I may be buffering it wrong.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Falcon doesn't KO much earlier, we have gimps, Fsmash is relatively easy to hit with when Falcon is landing and there is always Rest.

Falcon only outranges Jiggs vertically, horizontally (where it matters most), we take the cake.
ima disagree with you on this one. Falcon's Uair, knee and Fsmash are dirty. The hitbox on Dsmash is retardedly big, and utilt can kill too. Falcon has more kill potential than we have. Even though we have gimps, good falcon's won't go offstage enough to die from it.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Are you serious? Falcon's DI and Momentum Cancelling is alot better than ours. If they're any good at DI then we should have a decently hard time killing them.

insert Ally and Reflex videos here.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
When Falcon is offstage I think I have never experienced such great edgeguarding against anyone with Puff.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The OP is misguiding on many things.
First is talking about Falcon's ground game without talking of Utilt and Dtilt.
Those 2 moves are way better than any of our smashes (which are just here to punish stupid mistakes btw).

Then about your gimping ability, I don't think Jiggs has anything that beats Falcon Dive's hitbox (disjoint + grab armor). That and Uair are pretty viable as defensive options offstage.
From then it's a mixup between getting under you and abusing the position or recovering from above.
So yeah, unless we lost our second jump I don't think gimping is as easy as you make it to be.

Also about KO, the things that'll kill you should be Bair, Uair and Utilt (and Dsmash/Fsmash for heavy punishment).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Our dair will beat your UpB when it's well spaced and puts you into a really bad position.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
This MU scares me.

- He lives forever with his amazing DI, I have seen him live until around 180%
- His uair is awful, will kill absurdly early
- ^B can kill us if we're too high, relatively early
- His air speed is intimidating, he'll dthrow and then chase you with an aerial a lot
- Not exclusive to this MU, but against Falcon it's incredibly important to keep our fair fresh

I know I need tons of practice against Falcon because everyone says we have the advantage. This is definitely NOT nearly as "easy" as Link or Ganon, which we also "counter".

lordhelmet

Smash Master
We don't have any true GR followups.

The things you should be worrying about is uair/utilt/bair stopping your approaches.

A fresh up tilt will KO Jiggz around 100%, and its disjoint will go through about everything you have. Same story with sweetspotted bair.

And in agree-ance will Teluo, if we have our double jump, you won't be gimping us.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I've played against M. Lorenzo multiple times. He usually goes for the TO. If this happens, would you agree that Jigglypuff has the advantage? If so, would that force you to be the aggressive player?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Lol.

I'm currently discussing this with the CF's in the back room.
I'm fighting for a -1 if possible.

Tune in and we'll see.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Falcon can keep us off his **** with SH uairs and bairs.

Alot of his moves are really fast and we can't always keep him out.

A good falcon is hard for us. But a bad falcon is easy.

He can time us out like we can him.

Top Bottom