• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up Export #19: Toon Link| Stage Discussion

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Toon Link

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* How Do We Judge Ratios?

To assign ratios, one must know what each ratio mean.

50:50 - Neutral/Even. Both characters have an equal amount of advantages and disadvantages against each other. The degrees of punishment and tactical efficiency are accurately similar on both sides.

60:40 - Advantage/Disadvantage. One character has something over the other character that puts him/her in a bad position, be it long range, fast speed, high juggle ability, etc. While the lesser character can get around it, it'll often be a nuisance to get around.

70:30 - Heavy Advantage/Disadvantage. The winning character capitalizes on the losing character quite hard. Usually in these cases, it's the winning character has a strength, that directly goes against the character's weakness. For instance X Character is fast and has long range, while Y character is slow and has short range.

80:20 - Extreme Advantage/Disadvantage. Winning Character has something so huge over the losing character that it over-centralizes the match-up(DDD vs DK comes to mind). This starts to enter the realm of unwinnable, though not quite there.

I won't go any higher/lower than that. I also didn't do anything in-between because it's far too specific to go into, though that doesn't mean the ratios can't be used. It mainly pertains to varying degrees when looking at advantages/disadvantages.

When that understood, the rest is easy(not really). Compare and Contrast all advantages and disadvantages of each character, and see which character has the better advantage.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:toonlink: Toon Link :toonlink:

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game:
Ground Game:
Approach:
Defense:
Camping Game:
Edge Game:
Surviving:
Killing:
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible Toon Link Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
* Possible Toon Link Bans
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
* Possible Toon Link Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Possible Secondaries

Videos & Other Outside Resources

VERDICT :fox: ??:?? :toonlink:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

Jash

Smash Lord
I <3 any player who would pick up Fox in this game and use him for competition, I shall help the best way I can. :)

I think this matchup is 50/50 because both characters can do really well against each other with their traits. Fox has a lot of dash speed which can allow him to approach pretty well, not only that he can pressure Toon Link when he does get in that close range. The problem Fox may have is if the Toon Link spaces his aerials well then Fox would have a hard time approaching. Zair is most likely your worst problem in this matchup because it out spaces pretty much everything Fox has. They both kill at pretty much the same percents with Up smash and they both have tough pressure game that can cause a lot of concern between characters. I believe this is 50/50.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
50-50 sounds good, I would argue 55:45 Fox but, I can't focus on this right now. I'm gonna let another Fox talk for the moment.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
i really hate this match up lol, even tho we have refelctor, toon links projectiles can still be a problem. we can fight them at close quaters combat quite well but they can do just as well.

i would add more but maybe ill do it later lol
50-50 sounds about right

MJG

Smash Hero
50:50

^The stage choices can tip the favor in Fox's or Toon Link's favor just by a little.

Its important for Toon Link to play the MU at mid range and to try and keep fox at Mid Range throughout the match

Asce

Smash Apprentice
sorry i have to disagree about that Iblis. If we dont get in close and pressure TL its a problem. It takes a lot to handle his projectile game and he does actually outcamp us regardless of the reflector. we can laser definitely but not play a prolonged projectile war. once fox gets in its in his best interest to keep the pressure on.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
tl;dr, Fox beat TL at long range and at close range. Do not get zoned into mid-range, you lose the game there.

It's even, but I think this matchup is really stage dependent. Platforms do weird things for camping/counter-camping and zoning.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
We outcamp TL defiantly....
We don't need reflector. TL's camping is only useful for mid-range like Zhamy said.

MJG

Smash Hero
tl;dr, Fox beat TL at long range and at close range. Do not get zoned into mid-range, you lose the game there.

It's even, but I think this matchup is really stage dependent. Platforms do weird things for camping/counter-camping and zoning.
We outcamp TL defiantly....
We don't need reflector. TL's camping is only useful for mid-range like Zhamy said.
As I stated earlier >_>

Should probably move on to stages. Everything is pretty straight forward...I really wish Zeton would come in here though and give his input on the MU.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm sorry and I know you stated that earlier but he must overlooked your post and we were re-stating it.

Also 50:50 or 55:45?

I feel Fox has just a tiny lead on TL but not huge enough to be a counter. The long range camping can be annoying for you guys.

Stages for Fox: Halberd,FD,PS1,PS2(We are going by MLG rules now right?),BF

Asce

Smash Apprentice

Ok thats true i should have stated it better mid range is our worst position, far or close we have advantage. stage wise, im not sure although halberd is ****. How far does gimping go on each side?

M@v

Subarashii!
My fox has been ***** by Jash's TL before </3

But yeah, I haven't played a serious Fox vs TL OFFLINE in a long time.

I still feel its 55:45 to 60:40 fox. Its easy to force approaches on him, our kill options are better and harder to block.

Both TL and Fox use upsmash as their number 1 kill move. Toon's is very easy to see coming since many toon links use it as a follow up from several things(zair, bair, or even nair->zair->upsmash if your not careful).

More on this later, I got work tomorrow ):

NAKAT

Smash Champion
It's about time I get in these boards and pitch in some help. I am NAKAT by the way so hi everyone. From what I have read and from my own personal experiences I believe this matchup is in fact 50:50. Fox has the reflector and TL has various types of projectiles you can reflect Bombs, but what you should try to do is Z catch them and use them against TL as if you were facing Diddy. Even though we have reflector TL can still approach and use his projectiles at the same time and close in on Fox. They both can kill one another pretty early and can combo as well. Both have ways to gimp eachother too.

MJG

Smash Hero
It's about time I get in these boards and pitch in some help. I am NAKAT by the way so hi everyone. From what I have read and from my own personal experiences I believe this matchup is in fact 50:50. Fox has the reflector and TL has various types of projectiles you can reflect Bombs, but what you should try to do is Z catch them and use them against TL as if you were facing Diddy. Even though we have reflector TL can still approach and use his projectiles at the same time and close in on Fox. They both can kill one another pretty early and can combo as well. Both have ways to gimp eachother too.
This describe a good part of the match up.

I remember playing zeton in my set and that he kept reflecting the boomerang on its return. So, I would throw it out, wait for its return and throw out Zair, which hit both the boomerang and zeton (while he was still in his reflector). Just watch the reflector usage.

Also, You can punish our nair with an Up Smash Oos (I learned that the hard way :()

NAKAT

Smash Champion
It's nice to see TL mains coming in here giving advice on how to be their character. It just shows how strong of a player they are and how much they want to see everyone grow in this game. They are also receiving advice as well lol.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wait I'm not exactly sure wait you are talking about but a spaced Zair shouldn't get punished unless you above the TL

JNB328522

Smash Apprentice
I feel that these are the options we have (in theory anyways) after sh airdodging zair maybe even if zair laggless but Im not sure though:
pivate grab
upsmash
dash attack to uptilt
or maybe rolldodge behind tink

correct me if Im wrong im just throwing my ideas to try to help with the matchup

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
You're both going to land without lag, it helps you get closer but nothing is guaranteed (and never roll behind TL when he has all of the frames available to punish you).

Doing something too many times is punishable regardless, so don't rely on this for approaching.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yea but remember he will land laglessly too so make sure you go in there with a plan.
Already said that. Maybe I wasn't clear enough and should have metioned Fox will too.

Either way though he is right you can use it as a mix-up. Nothing to relie on. Just remember his Zair is useless if you get above him when he is about to use it.

TKD

Smash Lord
Ask Rockan. He's played against me.
As for my own opinion, it's 6/4 Fox's favor simply because of his speed, blaster, punishment avoidance, blah blah blah it's just Fox. Oh yeah, watch out for zair. It's the move that separates him from most of the cast. I would keep getting hit by it because of forgetting he can do that.

Variable

Smash Ace
Ask Rockan. He's played against me.
As for my own opinion, it's 6/4 Fox's favor simply because of his speed, blaster, punishment avoidance, blah blah blah it's just Fox. Oh yeah, watch out for zair. It's the move that separates him from most of the cast. I would keep getting hit by it because of forgetting he can do that.
Not to mention he has a reflector which can reflect all of TL's projectiles.

Top Bottom