• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up disscussion: Mr.Game & Watch

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hello my fellow mario bros.

This here is my first ever thread. (yay me) xD

Since calebyte hasn't been in awhile, i though why not help out on continuing
the character matchup thread until caleb comes back.

Hopefully we'll get some knowledgeable G&W mains in here to disscuss the matchup with us. :cool:

So, let's get started!

Remember....."Knowledge is power"

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Well I don't know this MU too well but:

Try to Kill him horizontally

You can't cape his Up B

FLUDD sometimes messes up with his Up B

You can Combo him easily

Fireballs don't work cuz of his Bucket

Anddd thats about as much I can say

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You just have to be super patient in this match-up...just like every other high tier match-up.

If you're constantly trying to approach, you'll get wrecked. He can only threaten you from mid-range, not close or long range because he doesn't really have the tools for it. His game-plan is to unmercifully poke you to death.

Just remember your OOS game, know when it's safe to try approaching. Don't fireball unless you're prepared to camp heavily. All he needs to land oil panic is a dthrow and a read. Don't let him have that.

With bucket full, he cannot bucket brake, you gain a long-range advantage, you gain more approach versatility, and you're more formidable at mid-range.

It's pretty difficult to open up G&W without fireballs...so I definitely suggest trying to find a way to use them without getting wrecked by oil panic.

:phone:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Fighting G&W can be -__- sometimes.

I'll say close kombat is pretty good to rack up damage.
Jab cancle & boxing. Yeah, mario can box. xD
Smash DI out of g&w's nair/bair.
DON'T try to ledge trap g&w, his up-b will get you gimp.
Mindgame mario fireballs

EDIT: Add the f-tilts. Good for the reach since mario jabs gives some knockback

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUqDex6tevw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0kEjZaLK6M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwN5rjpAA4 <--Mad old. Like 2008 old. xD

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Oh boy, this can be a fun MU, I play 2Fast in it a bunch.

First and foremost, all of our aerials will beat fireballs, including the windbox for uair. Luckily for you guys, fireball up close is a bad idea for us at close to mid range to bucket, so if for some reason we decide to suck up the fireballs, you can run in and punish. However, if we do manage to fill the bucket up, the damage on hit is 33% and it kills pretty well, so be on the look out. An aggro mario will get dominated in this matchup, so you should look for openings rather than rushing in and attacking. Cape has zero effect on our recovery, don't waste your time (the first time 2Fast did this to me...Looooool) one cape won't do anything nor will three. Don't go offstage and spike too low, as UpB will beat it every time. Despite being lighter than Mario, with bucket braking and DI, we outlive Mairo, so keep that in mind and keep your kill moves fresh.

Not sure how you guys do with platforms, but G&W excels with platforms, as being under an opponent can wrack up some mean damage as well as uair shenanigans. Good stages for us include Frigate, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar. Decent to bad stages are Final Destination and Yoshi's island.

This matchup actually isn't too bad for Mario, once he learns the match-up, it becomes much more even, though, still in Game and Watch's favor.

Quick note, even though G&W's don't utilize it enough (in my opinion) watch out for Chef off stage, It WILL gimp you.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Not sure how you guys do with platforms, but G&W excels with platforms, as being under an opponent can wrack up some mean damage as well as uair shenanigans. Good stages for us include Frigate, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar. Decent to bad stages are Final Destination and Yoshi's island.

We can Cape Glide/Dash to either rush in for in for an attack, or just run away to reset
the situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saMMhe4oGKc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_790928

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlWDM_xdk1I&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_160846

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The best way to beat G&W is learn how to use your shield to stuff his approaches.

Also, never try to edge-guard him.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's easier to make a list of moves that beat fireballs than moves that don't. They get beaten out by everything.

It's a good thing that doesn't hamper their purpose all that much.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Which is why I'm not just listing moves that do. I specifically mentioned two that had range and including one that is commonly used as a poke.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The bigger threats are the aerials. The pokes prevent us from approaching via SH fireballs, but you can actually punish Mario for fireballing too close AND approach at the same time with aerials.

SH fireballing is actually unsafe at certain distances vs G&W due to his aerials beating fireballs, and it's also the reason why G&W edgeguards Mario so hard.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
SH fireballing is actually unsafe at certain distances vs G&W due to his aerials beating fireballs, and it's also the reason why G&W edgeguards Mario so hard.
I like what i've read here, matador.

I'll like to see more G&W mains in here, like vinne c for starters

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Nah I understand, just messin with ya.

To my knowledge I think I've only played against two different Mario players. One was Blue J and the other, dont remember.

My mindset in the matchup is to space bair and throw out random dsmashes

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'll see if I can't get any videos this weekend, not that I'm an amazing Game and Watch...But still.

Also, another note, OOS UpB beats pretty much everything, and is probably (one of) the best combo breaking moves ever. So this just reiterates the whole, "Don't do anything unless you have a good opening" part of the MU.

Fun fact in case Marios didn't know... If G&W doesn't use his second jump, he can use it after using UpB.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
"If G&W doesn't use his second jump, he can use it after using UpB."

Yeah, i pretty much read g&w's mid-air jump so i can get ready to fludd.
But i don't think fludd works all the time against his up-b

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I didn't know that g&w can up-b again after getting hit by mario's fludd.
I though that fludd would cancel it the first time & prevent him from using it again.
Like how snake's up-b can get cancel. (Only if you grab him.)
Come to think of it, i think mario can grab g&w when he up-b back on the stage.
It's pretty much all about timing though. :(

I haven't played much g&w players, bear with me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hate playing this matchup as Mario.

As G&W, I just D-tilt and F-air a lot. I don't need to worry about kills when it's easy for G&W to edgeguard Mario.

As Mario, you're just like...running away a lot. Angling shield correctly is mandatory or you lose. He's not hard to combo due to his weight and floatiness. Jabs -> D-smash isn't too hard to do on him. U-smash oos is really good in this matchup used carefully.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dude hilarious story actually that happened to me recently. I was playing a ranked Mario in my state and he tried to fludd my chute and it literally just lifted me vertically onto smashville's platform.

Twas Glorious.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, generally Mario shouldn't fludd recovering G&Ws, Peaches, Jiggz, or basically anyone that rises from it.

Unless you're trying to catch them attacking. In which case, good ****, lol.

steep

Smash Lord
Don't think this was mentioned yet, but Mario can sdi G&W's turtle (sdi towards them) and punish it before the move ends. Really hard to sdi through them on reaction though. you have to be ready for it!

Watch out for their smashes as they last forever (fsmash!!!!). NEVER try to land next to G&W when coming from above. Even if you try to airdodge, his upsmash will still hit and it kills at a very early %. If they land while doing a Fair, can we punish with a longer ranged move (i.e. ftilt, fsmash, ssfsmash), since it has a lot of ending lag?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
SWF is having some problems. Everyone's randomly double posting...don't worry about it.

Top Bottom