• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. R.O.B.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4rob:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]

***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
In my experience playing against my brothers ROB, I have found the best place to be below, or right next to him. ROB doesn't have the greatest tilts, and Gyro/Laser aren't safe at close range. Thus, it is pretty good. Clarification, not right next to him, but like a Dtilt's distance. He can't zone Mewtwo out, but he can stuff out SB with Gyro. also, Usmash goes through Nair and can catch Ledge-Jump. Mewtwo's throw is horrendous, so it is almost better to throw it up in order to gain a few seconds. Just a few quick thoughts.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
As a mid-level player who mainly plays on for glory, ROB has to be my favorite matchup. I have never come across a ROB player that I couldn't at least go toe-to-toe with. His projectiles are pretty easy to reflect, and you can also reflect a gyro thats on the ground to pick it up more easily. You can also nullify robs edge trap where he leaves his gyro at the ledge while you are recovering. You can get some crazy combos by using his gyro against him. Really, the only thing about ROB that you need to be really afraid of is his dthrow upair, and even that can be avoided a lot of the time. Rob has a nice weight to him that lets him be comboed pretty hard, and he has a slow and vulnerable recovery that makes it really fun to chase after him offstage.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
(Usually I don't post here in fear that I don't have enough to say. Well, I'm finally posting and I'll edit when I think of more.)

I like to use my real life tourney experience to gauge. I've versed two ROBS. One I destroyed after they beat my Luigi, the other destroyed me. So I want to intertwine both experiences into one summary.

The good here is that Mewtwo's reflector really stuffs lasers and less so gyro. Mewtwo also boasts superior mobility, and can airdodge a lot of Rob's stuff if predicted. Mewtwo has similar range, his bair and uair challenging Rob's grounded moveset and fair. Watch out for bair, nair, and dair though, as the flames are not part of his hitbox. I dont think Rob can reflect a full charged shadow ball, not certain. As for gimps, Mewtwo has dair that Rob can predict and use uair, but nair stage spike does wonders (also on a lot of characters ahem nair is god like) I destroyed my 1st Rob on Dreamland with a lot of keep away, falling nair to put them in front of me, and approaching fair chains. Take that as you will.

What is bad is Mewtwo of course is lighter. Against my second ROB, I died to D throw to uair at 67%. Sigh. I was on Town and City, I would avoid that stage as Rob has elevation to camp with gyro from above, along with angle lasers. Mewtwo does not have that luxury. Watch out for falling uair and nair off stage from ROB. Try holding your shield after a laser, gyro usually follows suit. Hard to commit to muscle memory, but yeah.

I want to say this matchup is in Mewtwo's favor. The 2nd ROB I versed is notabl more skilled than me so I fell it's harder to gauge with varying skill levels. Try going dreamland, avoid town and city. That's all I got so far.

xMeowMC

Smash Rookie
NNID
MeowMC
Mewtwo Bodies R.O.B. for sure. A lot of robs try to bait reflectors but mewtwo's reflector lasts weirdly long and can throw them off. Rob is also the perfect weight for all combos to work, robs like to land with nair a lot and mewtwo's up smash will catch him on most landings

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
What's the best punish if you shield R.O.B.'s dsmash? I tried watching some matches to find out but Abadango would always just get hit by dsmash in the vids I watched...

Top Bottom