• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Lucas

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4lucas:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]

***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I actually have alot of trouble in this match-up.

His down special is can be instantly canceled while absorbing our shadowball effectively shutting one of our best tools down except at 0% or a very good read.

His Zair and PK fire combo is surprisingly difficult to get by. We can reflect the PK fire sure but Lucas can easily avoid it.

He also combos us to oblivion. Most of his combos are DI dependent though so we do have the ability to avoid some of them.

Our main advantage is our kill power and our offstage game, unfortunately Lucas easily beats those with his ability to both force us to approach and wall us by shutting down our projectile at long range.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
If you get the read on his absorb, it should still leave him rather negative. Mewtwo should be able to catch him in a vortex situation at the very least.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If you get the read on his absorb, it should still leave him rather negative. Mewtwo should be able to catch him in a vortex situation at the very least.
I always seem to eat the hit after Lucas' absorber when I go for the fair.

A matchup I need to work on but I still think its even at best.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I don't play this too much but imo this is about even.... ish?
I don't see anybody with an overall advantage in particular.... if anyone then perhaps mewtwo.
Killpower is evenish, Mewtwo has a slightly better offstage game and has a range advantage over anything that's not Zair, but Lucas can get good comboes on Mewtwo's larger frame and can zone him in the first place.

I won't say "impossible", but it'll have to be a very, very good read, since he has many options out of magnet cancel, including non-binary ones like jumps.
I actually have alot of trouble in this match-up.
His Zair and PK fire combo is surprisingly difficult to get by. We can reflect the PK fire sure but Lucas can in turn absorb it or jump over and space a Zair.
PKF should be too laggy for that. any non-retreating PKF should be reflectable (i.e. it hits him), except maybe one in which he SHPKFs towards you, you reflect it, and it goes over his head.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
This is in mewtwos favor by a small bit because of the off stage game and grab kills. Lucas recovery can easily be stopped with a bair,fair, or dair. Mewtwo has two grab kills and thats back throw and up throw. Lucas can combo mewtwo for having a bigger hitbox but mewtwo can get out of combos with his light weight. With range mewtwo wins because of his tail but lucas does have pk-fire so it can trouble mewtwo in finding a way in. Over all Its in mewtwos favor because of off stage game. But thats personal thought

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is in mewtwos favor by a small bit because of the off stage game and grab kills. Lucas recovery can easily be stopped with a bair,fair, or dair. Mewtwo has two grab kills and thats back throw and up throw. Lucas can combo mewtwo for having a bigger hitbox but mewtwo can get out of combos with his light weight. With range mewtwo wins because of his tail but lucas does have pk-fire so it can trouble mewtwo in finding a way in. Over all Its in mewtwos favor because of off stage game. But thats personal thought
I doubt Mewtwo will be escaping much of Lucas's combos unless he keeps failing to follow DI after dthrow, Mewtwo is too large and not floaty enough to do that. Lucas's kill throws are also just as efficient as Mewtwo's given his weight.

Both can nullify each other's general attempts at zoning and mess each other up on mistakes, making this generally a very long-drawn out battle.

Top Bottom