• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up #6 King DeDeDe

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
King DeDeDe

Bio:

King Dedede (also spelled King DDD) is a major recurring antagonist (and anti-hero) to Kirby in Nintendo and HAL Labs' long-running Kirby video game series, appearing in every game except the game Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, making him the most recurring major character of the series besides Kirby and his Waddle Dees. He is the greedy king of the Dream Land, which is located on the quaint planet Pop Star. In many ways, King Dedede serves as the Bowser to Kirby's Mario and the King K. Rool to Kirby's Donkey Kong.

Due to an ambiguous description of the geography of Pop Star, it is never made entirely clear how much of the planet King Dedede assumes rulership of, though he seems to have castles and fortresses all across the planet. Even so, he seems to perform no administrative functions, and for the most part, the planet seems to ignore any edicts that are issued by him.
Summary:
*Coming soon*

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I will start off by saying this MU is very hard, at least for me.

Link does better with platforms but it doesn't matter while King DDD, has a lot going for him. King DDD can live a very long time in this MU. We can outcamp him and run a lot, but a grab is still a lot of damage and off stage bair can be very brutal.

Zair is a great spacing tool, but don't do it while advancing, King DDD can grab you on landing if you do it into him. Do it while retreating or in a neutral position. Bombs are great as usually when you hoping on platform drop bombs so they will poke his shield is he is low a bit. Be careful with landing on platform if he is under then, try and land on a different one or somewhere else if he is sitting under them, he sometimes is looking for an Utilt if he is sitting under it.

Now the CG, if he CGs you to the edge, do not mash out or jump if he holds you there, this will force an air release and you will have no jumps, King DDD can edge hog or bair if he does this right. If you do just work on maneuvering yourself, you should be able to make it back, but if you make a wrong move King DDD can edge guard Link well.

Also avoid a grab around 140%, King DDD can jump cancel his Usmash out of a Dthrow which I think can kill Link around 140-160% even with good DI, I'm most likely wrong about this but I think it's somewhere around there.

Stages:
On neutrals, strike FD any other stage should be fine after that point. Preferably aim for BF and PS1, more room to move around on those stages.

On CPs, let them have FD. Ban Cruise, or Delfino both are really bad for Link and great for King DDD in this MU. Frigate is fine as long as you don't get sent off the left side on the first transformation. If Frigate flips it's fine for Link.

I would say go BF as a CP, Link has more room to move around. If they ban that try PS1 or SV.

Using the new MU chart ratings, I would put this as a +2/+3 for King DDD. It's hard for Link. :(

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Never played the MU before but it has the makings of being brutal. Possibly going to a GA tourney in a couple weeks, 4GOD's got a pretty good D3 from what I hear but I haven't really seen much of him in the tourney scene. If I play him I'll try to leave some thoughts here.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
This matchup...

Important points:

-Link wants to stay out of F-tilt range at all times, as it stuffs a good amount of his moves (stupid bombs going through everything) Unless he's in the air, than we have to deal with Z-air

-Bombs bombs bombs bombs. Bombs interrupt inhale, blow us up during chain grab (Port priority is something Links will want) and go through pretty much everything.

-Link offstage is pretty much bad news, but even more so with the King. Avoid inhale near the edge as it spits you out pretty far

-Arrows and the Boomerang are easily destroyed by Ftilt, don't just throw these out, which I'm sure you wouldn't do anyway

-Delfino is a god stage for Dedede, you definitely want to ban this one

Basically everything Red Ryu said. :v
This is an awful matchup for Link, easily. I'd go with +2 Dedede. I wouldn't say +3 because it could easily be worse.

Rizen

Smash Legend
3/7 Dedede.

Brinstar is Link's best bet in my opinion. It allows great platform camping and Dair bounces of stage elements. Bombs set up Dair kills.
Other stage picks include BF, PS1, and maybe Lylat. Anything that helps platform camping/spamming.

Bombs will cancel with Gordos.

Space farther than normal, DDD's grab is the biggest non-tether grab range in the game and he can CG. If you're CGed on bad wifi or vs a scrub spot dodge repeatedly.

Everything's basically been said. This MU massacres Link. Especially on Delfino and RC and only one can be banned.
/Fun MU but I hate this in serious play.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Basically, be a bomb *****. Hold them, cook them, etc. They are your best friend eva in this MU. Zair great as well but can be countered if use in a pattern or whatnot. This match will be long as hell since no one will die but you have the camping. Don't worry about killing him, just tack on damage. The more you strive to kill, the faster you will be killed. Platform camp whenever possible. Even if he has options against it, it is better to deal with them than get chaingrabbed. You pretty much have to play the gay turtle style as much as possible to win this MU. It will be boring but thats how you got to do it.

Delfino sucks, always ban it first. RC is better for Link than Delfino anyways because at least you can space control with projectiles and take advantage of his garbage mobility by running and pressuring his approach options with projectile traps where he can't powershield or Ftilt them since he is airbourne.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I don't think it's too bad from the DDD's I've played, but all of the people I played used him as a secondary. But I've seen in some vids how DDD can harass Link offstage. You gotta space your landings so that your outside his grab range. I find that projectile spam works pretty well against DDD.

This vid is of Legan and it should link to more vids of this matchup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viHhBsN5Lc

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I still think this MU can be bad when the DDD knows what he is doing, another thing is a lot of DDD's I've played against don't gimp me correctly or know how to Dthrow to jump canceled Usmash. :/

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
This MU. Is terribad. Just camp/space/run and hope the Dedede doesn't know how to powershield and edge-guard properly. That's all you can hope for; I recommend a secondary. Platforms are good to avoid Dedede. You can get away with some grab attempts if the Dedede is shield-approach happy.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Faced the best D3 main in memphis last weekend and lost two games by two stock which was partially my fault because i tried to act cool and CP him on FD. Dumb, right? Anyway, bombing alot of the area works, mainly z dropped ones. Links in general need to upgrade their bomb game to keep him away as long as possible in this one. Zair is great as well but you need to time it properly according to the distance but it works regardless of how close he is. Bombslides help alot in this MU well at least for me anyways. D3 is terribly vulnerable to Link's jab lock set ups from 0% to 135% if you replace the Nair in the bombstool combo with a fastfall arrow cancel. Not to mention Link's other set ups as well. I think i done it on him or another D3 but i'm certain that i set it up with relative ease due to his size and the opponent's aggresive approach. I can stay away and spam him for quite a while and reluctantly shield pressure him with mix ups and whatnot. My only problem comes when i have to recover against him. I'm bad at doing that. I know D3 has an advantage in that area but i know for a fact that i was making it too easy for him due to my lack of knowledge of how to recover against him. If i knew, I'm sure i would have took him down to his last stock and maybe even win a game. I just couldn't make those stocks last long enough becuase of it. Otherwise, i'm very comfortable with this MU until that happens.

As for stages, Avoid delfino always and try to avoid FD maybe frigate, and yoshi' island IMO
Take him to BF, PS1 and PS2, Brinstar, and if your man enough, RC. Lylat might help but i'm not so confident with working around those stage tlits in a MU where recovery is emphasized so greatly. The platforms look promising tho.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Best thing to do in this matchup:

Switch characters. You're far better off.

If you go offstage against a good D3, you're going to die, or take a ****load of damage. We powershield bombs and bair air approaches.

Just my two cents.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Best thing to do in this matchup:

Switch characters. You're far better off.

If you go offstage against a good D3, you're going to die, or take a ****load of damage. We powershield bombs and bair air approaches.

Just my two cents.
True but statments like those are usaully exaggerated. One of Link's main strongpoints along with Toon Link is his ability to get multiple attacks from different angles out on the screen at once without putting himself in too much danger. The only problem is that it takes a little time for him to do that because of his start up. But it can be hard to powershield multiple attacks while catching Link at the same time. Powershileding is a very legit option tho. Link aerials may not have enough speed but Zair definately stuffs Bair from a distance . So do bombs. The recovering part well you got me on that one.

As for picking another character, no i would never. It wouldn't make any sense for me to pick anyone else if I've already pledged my aligence to Link by maining him. If i had srsly wanted a good chance competitivly, I would not have even looked at Link. But he's too fun so I play him anyways. The respect you get for being good with him is hella legit. :cool:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dair bounces shields and Link can bounce to safety. 'Good to know if you're going for a KO and DDD's used to PSing attacks.

Link's Dtilt spike is more useful in this MU than most.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'm pretty sure I'm pulling my Wario (or maybe even Peach) out if I ever face a D3 in tournament. I love Link and rep him every chance I get, but running into a 30-70 brick wall MU just isn't fun. Quite frankly, a D3 close to as good as you is going to be able to beat you down. Watch the Legan/Tmacc matches from Tmacc's point of view. No offense to Tmacc at all, but it's very clear that Legan is the superior player.

I dunno if zair really beats bair. Bair's got nasty range and does more damage, and can kinda go through zair because of disjoint; unless you get the second hit alone you're probably going to have to get closer than I feel comfortable against D3. At the very least don't use zair while advancing. D3's amazing OoS game is something that scares me. I don't know if dtilt is really gonna be useful against a good D3.

Granted, I've never played this MU against a legit D3 main, but I'm confident he beats Link pretty solidly.

Top Bottom