• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match openers & life reset moves

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
What are your go-to moves at the beginning of the match, after you have died and are coming back with invincibility, and after the opponent has died?

I typically do the following... let me know what you think of these..

Match start:
-Battlefield: blunderbuss + hold down to fall through. Good especially for rushdown opponents
-final destination: jump backwards and throw the krown forward

After I die:
- drop to bottom row and go for a grab. Opponent tends to run to the edge and shield

After opponent dies:
- jump off the cliff and then Bair. This is probably a bad idea to voluntarily be offstage with no ledge invulnerability. What are other good ideas here?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Match Start
On flat stages, I sometimes like to open a match with a forward air. I know that may sound a little odd, but it's because a lot of opponents may expect a crown or blunderbuss at the start of a match, meaning they may do a running jump towards you. By also jumping and stuffing them out with a forward air, it nulifies their attempt at starting a combo. Otherwise, playing general footsies is good, like throwing out jabs or running back and using forward tilt.

After King K. Rool Dies
You need to make sure you can get stage control once you respawn. In order to do so, try landing towards the center of the stage and make sure you aren't vulnerable. If they run to the edge and shield, keep pressure up and create walls with moves like the blunderbuss or forward air. This will make it hard for them to approach if you can maintain center stage. If the opponent is maintaining stage control upon respawn, try to armor through their aggressive pressure, or fish for openings and punish accordingly.

After Opponent Dies
Once again, maintain stage control by heading towards center stage. Try to play a little defensive as you wait for the invincibility to wear off if you want to. If King K. Rool is fighting an aggressive character like Roy or Joker, try to avoid getting into a combo as you wait for their invincibility to wear off.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
really helpful -- interesting how much you think about stage control / framed the answer to this question around stage control. thanks!

Top Bottom