• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Massive Amounts of Little Macs in 1v1 For Glory

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
Is it just me or are there lots of Little Macs in For Glory mode?
I seem to run into them all the time, I might even go so far as to say 70% of the players I run into play Little Mac, and the remaining 30% play any other character. I don't have a particular problem dealing with Little Mac, I usually play Robin and his projectiles can deal with him quite well, I was just wondering if I could get any insight into this trend.

Last edited:

Pokemon1982

Smash Rookie
I was playing Little Mac against a really good Robin a while ago. I also used Greninja and Pac-man. Was that you?

And yeah, there are a TON of little macs (myself included). Some thread on reddit said that Dedede can KO Mac by inhaling and shooting Mac off the edge.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I've seen a fair amount of Macs as well. They're pretty annoying as most I've fought only spam their jab and dash attack. And then they all try and K.O me with their K.O punch, but they all always miss me.

They're easy to counter as with Rosalina I keep my distance and attack them with Luma. If they get too close, I grab and throw them off the edge. With Ness, I combo them in the air and back air them. If they try to get back up, I PK Fire them and they fall to their doom.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Mac's easily my most encountered character online with varies degrees of skill. He probably popular cause even if theyre bad they're still really scary cause he hits like a monster.

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
I was playing Little Mac against a really good Robin a while ago. I also used Greninja and Pac-man. Was that you?

And yeah, there are a TON of little macs (myself included). Some thread on reddit said that Dedede can KO Mac by inhaling and shooting Mac off the edge.
It might have been me, I just got off before posting this.

Mac's easily my most encountered character online with varies degrees of skill. He probably popular cause even if theyre bad they're still really scary cause he hits like a monster.
True enough, even though I usually win against them, Little Mac deals the damage. I suppose since it's a flat stage it's easy for them to do so.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
@ xXShadeXx xXShadeXx : @ ChikoLad ChikoLad mentioned that he had a hard time fighting against Little Mac with Rosalina while on Final Destination or any Omega Mode stage.
I have a fairly easy time fighting Little Mac with Rosalina. I've even fought fairly decent Little Mac's and I'd usually 2 stock them. I usually tend to keep them at a distance, or just juggle them in the air.

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
I havent encountered all that many...I wonder if its because I am one XD I also play pac man a lot too so idk.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I've run into a bunch of LMs, but they've all been complete trash so far. It seems like Bowser and Little Mac are the first pick for bad players, because they've heard they're OP.

Oh well. At least I'm learning what can and can't work as a combo against them. (b-throw little mac into walk off f-air with Ike = win)

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I have a fairly easy time fighting Little Mac with Rosalina. I've even fought fairly decent Little Mac's and I'd usually 2 stock them. I usually tend to keep them at a distance, or just juggle them in the air.
If you're one of the Rosalinas that took games off me online....I hate you :(

Seriously, as a Mac players i've only had two Mac dittos so far....Rosalina counters all Macs pretty easily, I have a terrible matchup with her thus far. Nothing I do gets by Luma, slip counter does nothing but dispatch the dumb star, then the Rosalina grabs the hell out of me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have not encountered many in For Glory, and the ones I have were not much trouble.

However, I just got off playing some matches with a friend online, and he had another friend there, who mained Little Mac.

And he was bloody amazing. He could totally rep him in the tournament scene if he wanted. He gave my Rosalina a lot of trouble, something none of the other Liitle Mac's I have faced were able to do.

I still won some matches as her against his Mac, but it was tough for the most part.

For reference, it was a 5 stock scenario, and my friend who invited me was present to, alternating between Pac Man and Sonic.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Little Mac IS "For Glory" mode. I have also run into Little Mac a lot in my limited experience with online. He is obviously quite the popular character. I was trying a FFA and two of the other players were Little Mac.

So it is not just one versus one. :4littlemac:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah everyone CPs my little mac with little after I 2 stock them repeatedly. Then I 2 stock their trash little mac.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, he's a new character and compared to others he really has a unique style that's easy to play as. So, I guess he's the Ike of SSB4.

Rosalina & Luma introduces the puppeteer play style and for those who know characters who fight alongside puppets, summons, etc., it's difficult to master. So, not many are going to go for her like Little Mac.

Shulk introduces a stance system, but he's not well-known so I don't expect many to see him and say, "Cool! Let's play as this guy", and like Rosy, he's kind of difficult since to master him is to master the Monado Arts which is like mastering Dante in Devil May Cry 4 - the enemies being designed for Nero didn't help out either.

Then there's Mega Man. He's interesting to say the least and I think you have to put more time into him then picking up Mario, Little Mac, Ike, etc. and going to town. Mega Man doesn't have a standard move set; his combo, nair, and side tilts are all ranged moves. His side smash is a ranged move, so is his neutral special, side special, down special, uair, and dair. Up tilt's (Shoryuken) is a good kill move, can act as a hop, and down tilt is a slide that you'd expect to be a dash attack, but that's the spinning tornado. He's the epitome of a ranger.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I am having a problem fighting Little Mac with my Mario, because I have to get close up on him and dance. This opens up the available tools that little mac has at his disposal, I tried using my fire balls to keep him at bay but he is too fast. I can always get Little Mac players down to 1 stock but I cannot seal the deal and win with Mario. My Link on the other hand, I can control the match a bit better, but yea I am still not use to fighting most of the newcomers yet and Little Mac is a beast. I will get him down to a science the more I fight him.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
If you're one of the Rosalinas that took games off me online....I hate you :(

Seriously, as a Mac players i've only had two Mac dittos so far....Rosalina counters all Macs pretty easily, I have a terrible matchup with her thus far. Nothing I do gets by Luma, slip counter does nothing but dispatch the dumb star, then the Rosalina grabs the hell out of me.
You'll know if it's me as I sport the black dress Rosa and sometimes switch to white and red. Occasionally I'll switch to saturn shirt Ness. I also sport the name "Shania`".

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
hes not only new flavor but hes strong as hell flavor that cant be fought like everyone else, so he wins a LOT just by spamming A.
Its rather annoying. he wouldnt be as bad if he didnt have priority over every single attack. Bowser/Dedede were prized in Brawl because they had verrry strong moves that almost nothing took priority over save a full charge smash or falcon punch - Mac's flippin A attacks counter their moves.
I suspect once people learn how to face him he wont be so common. Not sure how many people will get the reference but its the same as phoenix in dota2. people cry he's op purely because they face him like they do any other hero and he preys upon people that do that soooo hard.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I don't mean to say this like a prick, but every Little Mac I play is pretty rough, yet when I play as him, I hardly lose.

I think once you understand how to properly space Little Mac outside of his obvious noob tendencies (Jab spam and dash attack), he can easily dominate on flat stages. And since they are all flat stages, that's why he does so well and shows up so much.

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I have encountered a grand total of 3 Mac's in For Glory, and I trashed them all.
Then I started playing Little Mac and was shocked that I took them down because he's such a brain dead great character. I think it has to do with them just spamming dash, side smash and only going for KOs with KO punch.

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
I don't mean to say this like a prick, but every Little Mac I play is pretty rough, yet when I play as him, I hardly lose.

I think once you understand how to properly space Little Mac outside of his obvious noob tendencies (Jab spam and dash attack), he can easily dominate on flat stages. And since they are all flat stages, that's why he does so well and shows up so much.
Yeah, I think I've only lost 1 of the 8 most recent games I played against little mac. The flat stage does make a lot of sense for picking him. Maybe a lot of people are losing to LM and then picking him up once they've lost enough times? I'm not sure but LM is starting to feel like the 'default' character I fight against.

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
I've run into a just a few really but they've all been pretty bad. Little mac is easy if you can just throw him off the stage at a decent percentage

Rylos

Smash Rookie
I ran into a couple Little Macs in 1vs1 but all they do is hold A Neutral, Dash Attack and Spam Side A Smash. It's what most of them do so handling Liitle Mac online is easy.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had this experience. I've fought more Megamen (Megamans sounds ridiculous, however proper it may be) than LMs. Like, 80% of my fights have been against (apparently) Japanese players, and I've basically seen mostly Megaman, a handful of LMs and as many Greninja(ja-ja-ja-ja-ja)s, a few ZZSs, and then like 1 of each of Villager, Sonic, Lucario, and even a Roy interestingly enough. And that's really it.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Little Mac IS "For Glory" mode. I have also run into Little Mac a lot in my limited experience with online. He is obviously quite the popular character. I was trying a FFA and two of the other players were Little Mac.

So it is not just one versus one. :4littlemac:
Final Destination/For Glory is a perfect field for Mac. Luckily, if you manage to get him in the air, he's usually done unless he does some counter shenanigans.

Also Morbid, change your dang avatar. :scared:

I've noticed that there's either bad Macs or good Macs. Good Macs stay in the center of the stage. Bad Macs are aggressive and spammy, and usually side-B off the stage.

Last edited:

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
Yep, Little Mac is common in the For Glory matches because the stages are flat. I have been wrecked beyond numerous times by him. I'm still n00b so I'm still learning. But still, I want to beat him so bad.

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
Yep, Little Mac is common in the For Glory matches because the stages are flat. I have been wrecked beyond numerous times by him. I'm still n00b so I'm still learning. But still, I want to beat him so bad.
You might have trouble with Captain Falcon, but perhaps this advice from reddit could help:

"Tether Grab. Regular Grab. Just grab him. Seriously just constantly grab him. Little Mac players depend way too much on super armor and the counter right now. Just walk right up, grab them, and throw them off the stage.

If you need to, footstool them. They CANNOT recover from this."

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
I got the game today and got schooled by this one player with LM. He killed my Fox, Megaman and Mario. I felt outclassed in speed but then I picked up ZSS(which I never use, not even Brawl or PM) and promptly outranged him. After that he switched to Shulk so it's all good. I also tried playing LM but could not do anything meaningful.

Michael4thewin

Smash Rookie
Little Macs are every where in "For Glory", and i see why. FD and its versions are a home to little mac, unless you have someone to counter him (Rosalina), he has the best chances of winning from what I've seen. I hope in the future there is a button that lets you find matches that have Little Mac allowed and disallowed :p. I had Mac go through Doctor Mario was his Down smash and Wario's Bike with his foward. Man that super armor.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
(Ironically, as I typed this message I ran into a Little Mac..)

I've ran into a lot of Little Macs, and playing against him his pretty hard as Zelda but it's definitely possible. Basically playing very defensively and forcing him to come to you helps deal with him as Zelda. Spot dodging and anticipating his attacks helps fight against him a lot. Also, grabbing. Every throw forces someone into the air, which is where Mac hates to be. So forcing some air game onto him is also helpful.

As for Lucina, it's all about spacing with her sword, countering the dash attacks, spot dodging and throws. Keeping on him also helps at times when they're flustered.

But of course this is all my opinion and how I've done against them so far.

Shookie

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-4834-0579
I loved playing Punch Out, so of course my first choice was Little Mac when they released him. I've only played a couple matches in For Glory, but so far I've been beaten by a Link. Very badly. He constantly countered me by keeping me at range and keeping me guessing with arrows, boomerangs and bombs. Also had a couple close calls with ZSS because of her range and grabs.

I really wanted to main Little Mac, but with so many people playing him, I may end up switching to another character.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
To add to the grab thing, against rushdown happy Little Macs, you can also opt to retreating Pivot Grab.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I just got finished playing for a couple more hours and I've still hardly encounter any LMs. My very first match was a LM and not one single one afterward. Wit
To add to the grab thing, against rushdown happy Little Macs, you can also opt to retreating Pivot Grab.
It's so difficult on the 3ds stick though :/ Maybe it's just me, but the way my thumb is angled while holding the 3ds just does not allow for that quick back-forth motion. I literally can't even dashdance with my left thumb... at all DX I'm experimenting with using my right hand to shake the system while I simply hold the left stick with my other thumb, but I'm afraid I'll end up being one of those sorry saps with a broken stick. It's such a loss either way, until I figure it out.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
It's so difficult on the 3ds stick though :/ Maybe it's just me, but the way my thumb is angled while holding the 3ds just does not allow for that quick back-forth motion. I literally can't even dashdance with my left thumb... at all DX I'm experimenting with using my right hand to shake the system while I simply hold the left stick with my other thumb, but I'm afraid I'll end up being one of those sorry saps with a broken stick. It's such a loss either way, until I figure it out.
Really, it just takes practice. As for the broken stick, I've had mine since 2011(original), and it's survived hours on end of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. As long as you don't go ham on your stick(....that sounded wrong), it should be fine.

I haven't even spent that much time with For Glory but I've encountered a good number of Little Macs. Some of them knew what they were doing, some well.... they didn't play him right (Probably trying him out for the first time). I got no complaints

The guy excels in flat stages so I can't do anything about that. For Glory is set up that way anyway

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think it's a phase. People heard that Little Mac is OP with flat stages, so people are trying to raise their For Glory rank. Once people become better, they will start to diversify their mains a little more. I get connected to mostly Japanese players and I see a wide range of characters in For Glory now.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a phase. People heard that Little Mac is OP with flat stages, so people are trying to raise their For Glory rank. Once people become better, they will start to diversify their mains a little more. I get connected to mostly Japanese players and I see a wide range of characters in For Glory now.
What's funny is that there doesn't seem to be any rankings of anysort associated with online mode/for glory. It only applies to the games in the vault and perhaps smash run (not certain about that one).

Top Bottom