• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Massing a Force For Oncoming Onslaught: The New Pit Doubles Discussion

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Alright guys, you all have probably seen me making those character doubles threads. My goal should be obvious, to further pit's double's metagame. here is a list of those who i have gotten information out of that is actually worth looking at.

Donkey Kong http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298283

Kirby http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298282

Lucario http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298368

Luigi http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298286

Marth http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298316

Now the most detailed ones are DK>Marth>Kirby. do not post in any of these threads as they are not in our boards and don't need uneccessary bumping. please list all of your thoughts and opinions about team specifics here. also if you have any specific partner research requests, please state them here and i will look into it myself.

"all men, move out!" aka start giving me input to add.

Also @Roxy:

don't lock this or move it to the guide as i need it in the open and active and such. when it is complete, then yes i will ask you to lock and add it.

fUddO

Smash Ace
MK, Lucario, and GaW all seem like the best partners for Pit. Kill power seems like the #1 qualifier for a good Pit partner, unless there's some gimmick going on, like bucket, aura, or being the best character in the game.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
im saving the ones every1 knows about already for the end. everyone knows that mk, snake, DDD, g&w are all great partners. that's because they are universal good partners. im looking for the under rated and less popular combinations that still make for an equally awesome team outside of the normal partners.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
So anyone witch a jab lock would be a good pit partner IMO :D You can WoI them to really make it inf.
But I would probably choose as char like Ike to be my partner since Pit can rack up damage nice while Ike can just kill them or snake.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
Lucairio and pit make a scary combo. Something to keep in mind is that while Double Team(down-b) is normaly useless, if lucario does his counter animation and pit sets it off with an arrow it will have the same power as if he had been hit by any other move since lucario's counter is dependant on his aura not the amount of damage taken. This means that the knockback and damage will be the same if you hit him with an arrow or ike's f-smash. Situational in singles, but a meanace in doubles as he can fake them out, making them think he's vunerable to a grab or a well times smash but then randomly come down with a slide tackle.. Also there are a few lucario AT to change the direction his counter goes so he can be more unpredictable. Pit can stock tank/camp and let luke get up to insane aura. Luke has the kill power that Pit lacks. IMO this and a few other things make Luke my favorite doubles partner. MK can go **** off.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i couldn't get any good info off the ike boards. but still abel im glad we are on the same page.

@xcallion
i did not know that about double team. based off of aura not damage. that does make it scary in doubles

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Pit's partner in 2v2's needs 2 things imo.

- Ability to 2v1
- Killing potential

Pit can be overwhelmed by certain characters and is best playing a supporting role. This means the partner must handle the majority of the action while Pit stock tanks.

Lucario is one of my favorite partners for this <3. Wario and MK do well too.

I like it when Maharba actually uses captial letters. My eyes don't burn so much

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Lucario is a definite yes.

Wario is good but bad at the same time since he likes the air and your arrows might hit him, since he's so zany in the air ( just be careful )

Zelda is a decent partner, and you can save her better than most people can when she's falling to her death off stage from an edgeguard (use an arrow)

My favorite team idea for Pit + anyone is Marth, he has such range and tracking, and great kill potential, on top of really reliable on his own.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
guys don't just say that you like this team or that team. say WHY you like besides the obvious "kill power and 2v1. go into detail on how the team works or how you think it should work.

however i am digging the activity thus far. good job on the random tid bits here and there. now lets get specific so that i can make this thread matter

Xcallion

Smash Ace
an interesting combo to try with marth might be (from zero %): marth d-throw to fsmash which is already a true combo, but then while the target is being knocked back hit them with an arrow(while they're still in hitstun) to give marth a few frames to recover from fsmash lag and follow up with an aerial of his choice. I havent tested this, but it seems like a reliable way to get about 30+ damage in a couple seconds(assuming the victim's partner doesnt interfere).

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I know everyone knows mk is broken, but I love teaming with mk. Arrow+Tornado spam is sooooooo safe. Like there is no way to punish nado and block/dodge arrows at the same time and our arrows don't pierce nado so it's win-win. :awesome:

Xcallion

Smash Ace
i think that there still might be more to this thread. if you disagree, just ignore me

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I like King DDD as a teamate because his throws lead to lots of combos. Hmm, I wonder if you could d-throw lock w/ Pit's WOI cancel. Someone test this!

Also, I think Pit can team w/ basically any character that has some sort of fear stature(D3, Lucario, Snake, Wario) or have fast movements(MK, Diddy, Pika, etc..)

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
Pit's partner in 2v2's needs 2 things imo.

- Ability to 2v1
- Killing potential

Pit can be overwhelmed by certain characters and is best playing a supporting role. This means the partner must handle the majority of the action while Pit stock tanks.
I support this. From my experience Snake followed by MK, Wario and GnW are Pit best partners. I don't know about Lucario simply because I haven't teamed with any good yet.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Can I see some of this footage. I want to team with my peach friend this weekend, and he thinks the team lacks kill power so if there's good footage maybe I can convince him.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
A good, but debatable team would be Pit vs. Kirby. Although it might not be the best combo you could go for, but Kirby does have some neat tricks up his sleeve. Since Kirby is small, it'll also be harder to accidentally hit Kirby with an Arrow, but you still have to be careful. Also, Kirby's good K.O power with his Hammer, Bair, and some Smash Attacks make Kirby a great combination to go with Pit's quick damage wracking skills.

A cool strategy would be for Kirby to swallow Pit to create a double Pit Arrow type play style, which could be useful against Characters who are vulnerable to projectiles. And this way, both characters can help each other with extending combos a little bit, and can have more stage control with their Arrows. 2v1, this move can be extremely useful for extending character combos. For example (although I'm not 100% sure this will work), Kirby can use Down throw on an opponent at low percent, or an opponent that is a fast faller. As soon as Kirby is done with Dthrow, Pit can fire an Arrow and allow Kirby some time to regrab his opponent. This could work to extend Dthrow or any other of Kirby's throws further to cause more damage, as Kirby has some interesting set ups off of his throws.

Kirby can also help Pit in the same way if he copies Pit's ability. Pit, for example, could start his Fthrow CG, but Kirby can add more damage by Firing an Arrow after each throw, and maybe even extend the combo and allow Pit more time to grab his opponent. Also, if Kirby has a reflector as a copy ability, Pit could fire an Arrow and potentially perform some cool reflector tricks with the Arrow.

Even though Kirby has advantages to use as a partner, there's also the sad disadvantage that Kirby is very easy to knock out. Although Kirby has more attack Power than Pit, he can be knocked out easily and could cause trouble if Kirby runs out of stocks early. If Kirby is Pit's partner, Pit should stock tank since he can survive for a longer period of time, and has more options to dodge and outrun his opponents attacks and stay at a distance. Still, it is a bit of a gamble since Kirby can run out of stocks quickly, especially if Kirby is facing heavy hitters like DDD or Snake.

Kirby and Pit is a good team to wrack up damage and get KO's, but will run into trouble once the team starts facing heavy hitters and high level characters, such as DDD, Snake, or MK. With this team, I think Kirby should focus on pestering his opponents and causing damage, while Pit should, hang back, stock tank, and prolong combos when he can. Kirby should be extra careful so the team doesn't start losing stocks too early due to his lightweight. I think this team could be good as long as both players know what they're doing, but, it does not mean that this team is the best, and is a bit risky to use compared to other teams like Pit and Lucario, or Pit and Snake.

Well, that's my opinion on Pit and Kirby. I might post a bit more about Pit and Marth, as I think they can also be a very good team.

EDIT: I would like to add a useful tip I've used in team battles before I forget. If you curve arrows downwards or upwards, as if you were shooting a character with a reflector, it will greatly lower your chance of accidentally hitting your partner. For example, lets say you've partnered with Peach, and Fox is on the stage. You are on one end, Peach is on the other, and Fox is in the middle. If you plan to fire an Arrow, you should curve it downwards or upwards, as if you were safeguarding yourself in case Fox reflected it. This way, even if Fox spot dodges, the Arrow will just hit the ground, or keep rising to the air, and won't hit your partner. If Fox reflects it, the Arrow won't hit you either. I think this is a useful technique to avoid hitting your partner in these types of situations. Although, there might be better methods, so keep experimenting ^__^.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i whole heartedly agree that kirby pit kicks ***.

fun fact
when kirb has an arrow and pulls back on the bow, pit can shoot straight arrows over him. this creates the ultimate camping tactic. read my posts in the kirby pit thread or somethin

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Pit+Kirby will be hard countered by a team with gaw.

Random idea in 2v1, have kirby uthrow and Pit shoot an arrow in the sky potentially hitting them while offscreen. Omnigay sniper style?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i've tried this but haven't gotten it to work yet. i think the arrow needs some charge tho. but at high percents it might not. but i've haven't been able to test this since i moved out here. good job thinking of that xcallion because i never would have remembered. credit to you sir

EDIT:
it wouldn't be a "cide" of any kind. it's an arrow. you HAVE to hit the enemy or else it would just hit kirby. mayb something like this combined with the uthrow could work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq3tveXGP74&feature=player_detailpage#t=79s

Xcallion

Smash Ace
@maharba my kirbycide statement was meant in a joking manner; hence the "xD"

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
It would be an awesome way to KO an opponent, though XD. Although, it'd be really hard to set up, let alone hit Kirby during his Uthrow. I think the best way is to be directly under Kirby, then fire the Arrow. I would love to see if this works, though XD.

Top Bottom