• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness: Championship Edition - $200 Pot Bonus - August 24th, 2013 - Framingham, MA

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
The NESS Circuit is once again coming to a close with the largest Melee event in New England - It's Mass Madness! To spice things up we've added a $200 pot bonus this year!

Live Streaming will be brought to you by VGBootCamp. Follow them on www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp!

Stay up to date with our community by becoming a member of New England Melee Facebook Group.

August 24th
Mass Madness:Championship Edition
1251 Worcester Road​
Framingham, MA​

Circuit Info & Ruleset
We will be tallying results for the top8 per Qualifying Tournament (5 total, see bottom of post for more info on the individual events), so the more you attend the more points you can potentially accumulate.

Point system for Singles:
1st - 40
2nd - 30
3rd - 20
4th - 10
5/5th - 5
7/7th – 2

10% of the Singles Pot from each of the qualifiers will be added in to the Mass Madness singles pot.

The 4 players with the highest amount of points in attendance at Mass Madness Finale will bypass pools and the Prelim Bracket to wait in the 8-man Pro Bracket.

Ruleset
1. 4 stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Pause Is Turned Off
If a player requests pause off it will be turned off for that set.
If a player pauses, the person pausing will lose a stock if the opponent requests it.
If it is a teams match, both players on the pausing team will lose a stock if the opponent requests it.
4. Items set to “Off” and “None”
5. Wobbling / Blizzobbling is legal.
6. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., Ice Climbers’ Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner., etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
7. The act of stalling is banned. Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable, such as continuing infinite’s (wobbling/blizzobbling) past 300%, or reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Peach’s wall-bombing, or Jigglypuff’s rising pound can be used as long as it is not for the purpose of stalling for a period greater than 30 seconds. The same goes for any other similar tactics.
8. In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined in the following order:
More remaining stock.
Less percentage.
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal stock and percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters, and same stage.
9. Match sets in both pools and Prelim bracket are 2/3 games. Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals in singles and doubles are played 3/5 games.
10. Pools placement is determined first by game win percentage. In the event of a tie it then goes to set win percentage, then head to head matchup.
11. The TO reserves the right to over-ride or reinterpret any rule if absolutely necessary. Another TO must be present and agreeing at the ruling.

Set Procedure Advanced Slob Picks
1. Port Priority is determined. If it can not be agreed on you may rocks, paper, scissors for it.
2. Each Player/Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Player/Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the 5(five) Neutral Stage List by the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1. The player/team with higher port priority strikes first. (Player/Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Player/Team 2 striking two stages, with Player/Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The Player/Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
7. The Player/Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Neutral Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Player/Team may not be selected.
8. The Player/Team that won the previous match chooses their character(s).
9. The Player/Team that lost the previous match chooses their character(s).
10. The next match is played.
11. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches until a winner is determined.
12. Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick the stage he or she last won on unless agreed upon by both players.

Doubles Modified Rules
1. Team Attack set to “On”
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by which ever team has more remaining stock.
4. In the event of a game going to time and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner. In the event of same stock equal combined percent, the match is replayed with the same stage and characters.

Conduct
1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
4. You are responsible for your own equipment Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable as seen fit by the tournament organizer.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the tournament organizer discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first game. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the match. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
9a. The m2k Rule - By entering the tournament you agree to play your matches on the setup requested by a tournament organizer whether it be a stream, recording, or non-recording setup.
10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player’s ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
11. Although a rarity in melee (regarding textures and other game hacks):
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as model or physics modifications for tournament play.

Schedule
11:00 am | Venue Opens
11:30 am | Doubles & Singles Registration begins
12:45 pm | Doubles Registration Last Calls
1:00 pm | Doubles Bracket Begin
3:30 pm | Singles Registration Last Call
4:00 pm | Singles Pools Begin
11:00 pm | Venue Closes

Entry Fees
$5 Venue Fee
$5 Per Player for Doubles
$10 Singles Entry

Players bringing a TV will have their venue fee waived - Bringing 2 TVs does not mean you will receive $10, but you will receive a smile and a thank you. We will have a check-in & check-out for systems and TVs.

Payouts
Pro Bracket Payout
1st: 45%
2nd: 22.5%
3rd: 12.5%
4th: 8%
5th: 5%
6th: 3%
7th: 2.5%
8th: 1.5%

Doubles Payout
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Stage List
Singles
Neutral : Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick : Pokemom Stadium

Doubles
Neutral : Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
Counterpick : Kongo Jungle 64

How does this work?
We will be running a round of elimination pools, followed by a Prelim Bracket. The Top8 from Prelim Bracket will be seeded into Pro Bracket as 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds.
If any players already in Pro Bracket do not show up the player in 5th place for points (or further if need be) will be placed into the Pro Bracket in their places.

Pro Bracket finals are 4/7, and semi finals are 3/5. Those who tie in placement play a head to head to determine results (5th and 7th place after the bracket).

Due to recent events at major tournaments:
Any competitors that are found by the Mass Madness staff (MattDotZeb, KevinM, Swiftbass) to be willfully manipulating match results will be disqualified from the event and in turn forfeit to prizes they would have otherwise earned. Refunds will not be issued, and any further action is at the discretion of the TO.
This is a competitive event, and it is expected of the players in attendance to be playing to win.

Final Standings:
1. Zoso - 80 points
2. MattDotZeb - 70 points
3. Hax - 60 points
4. Sai - 52 points
5. Mafia - 50 points
6. wWw Darc - 42 points
7. CT|EMP Mew2King - 40 points
8. Swift - 35 points
9. Th0rn - 30 points
10. Spawn - 20 points
11. AwsmSean - 15 points
12. The Moon - 10 points
12. KoreanDJ - 10 points
12. Crush - 10 points
15. WeaponX - 7 points
16. Andy - 5 points
16. KevinM - 5 points
16. Meta - 5 points
16. Mr Lemon - 5 points
16. Tian - 5 points
21. Kyu Puff - 2 points
21. SOLAR - 2 points
21. Trademark - 2 points
21. Slox - 2 points
21. PSI - 2 points
21. Nardis - 2 points
21. East Coast Jeff - 2 points

Qualifier Results and Past standings

1st Qualifier:
June 15th
GUTS 2 - Facebook
MIT, Cambridge, MA
Result thread

Standings:
1. CT|EMP Mew2King - 40 points
2. Th0rn - 30 points
3. Hax - 20 points
4. KoreanDJ - 10 points
5. Swift - 5 points
5. Zoso - 5 points
7. Dudutsai - 2 points
7. wWw Darc - 2 points

2nd Qualifier:
June 22nd
Smash in Cumberland 3 - Facebook Event
Amateur Bracket
30A Martin St, Cumberland, RI

Standings:
1. Zoso - 45 points
2. CT|EMP Mew2King - 40 points
3. Th0rn - 30 points
3. MattDotZeb - 30 points
5. Dudutsai - 22 points
6. Hax - 20 points
7. AwsmSean - 10 points
7. KoreanDJ - 10 points
9. Swift - 5 points
9. Andy - 5 points
9. Mr Lemon - 5 points
12. wWw Darc - 2 points
12. WeaponX - 2 points
12. Kyu Puff - 2 points

3rd Qualifier:
July 6th
Mass Madness 7A - Facebook Event
1251 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA
Results thread

Standings:
1. Zoso - 75 points
2. MattDotZeb - 50 points
3. wWw Darc - 42 points
4. CT|EMP Mew2King - 40 points
5. Th0rn - 30 points
6. Dudutsai - 22 points
7. Hax - 20 points
8. AwsmSean - 10 points
8. KoreanDJ - 10 points
8. Mafia - 10 points
11. Swift - 5 points
11. Andy - 5 points
11. KevinM - 5 points
11. Meta - 5 points
11. Mr Lemon - 5 points
16. WeaponX - 2 points
16. Kyu Puff - 2 points
16. SOLAR - 2 points
16. Trademark - 2 points

4th Qualifier:
July 27th
Hall of Gaming 16 - Facebook Event
220 North Colony St, Wallingford, CT
Results Thread

Standings:
1. Zoso - 80 points
2. Hax - 60 points
3. MattDotZeb - 50 points
4. wWw Darc - 42 points
5. CT|EMP Mew2King - 40 points
6. Swift - 35 points
7. Th0rn - 30 points
8. Dudutsai - 22 points
9. Spawn - 20 points
13. The Moon - 10 points
13. AwsmSean - 10 points
13. KoreanDJ - 10 points
13. Mafia - 10 points
18. Andy - 5 points
18. KevinM - 5 points
18. Meta - 5 points
18. Mr Lemon - 5 points
18. Tian - 5 points
24. WeaponX - 2 points
24. Kyu Puff - 2 points
24. SOLAR - 2 points
24. Trademark - 2 points
24. Slox - 2 points
24. PSI - 2 points

5th Qualifier:
August 3rd
Seven Years 4
99 Market St, Lowell, MA

MattDotZeb - 617-347-9686
mattdotzeb@gmail.com

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Any possibility of 64 on the side?
No, unfortunately not.

GTZ, your event does not have a guaranteed venue - we've built this event up for 2 months with qualifying events across New England. No date changes on our end will occur. Additionally, I hadn't realized our events were on the same date until today. I strongly suggest having a guaranteed venue before you announce a tournament in the future and having increased involvement with the New England TO Community.

If you'd like to talk at length with regards to what could have been improved in the many months leading up to Smashachusetts IV please PM me.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If there's enough space for more games at this venue, is there a possibility of Brawl (not PM)? Would alternative games not follow a tournament structure?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If there's enough space for more games at this venue, is there a possibility of Brawl (not PM)? Would alternative games not follow a tournament structure?
There is no possibility of Brawl. We are expecting 50+ Melee players, as Mass Madness is a Melee event.

Mega Mass Madness, run by Dazwa in this same venue, is the Brawl variant. Perhaps in the future a Melee/Brawl Mass Madness is possible, but it is not this one.

Morgue207

Smash Rookie
God been so long that I've been on here that I forgot my old account info :ohwell:

Anyways I've been kneeding to come to one of these events, it has been way too long. So Maine brothers hit me up for some smash sessions, I've been itching for some moonwalking action.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I'm really hoping to attend this event since it's only like an hour away from me. I'll ask KDJ if he wants to come too.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So, I'm pretty much confirmed for this. 99% confirmed, I'll be there. But who's all going to be there? I don't get to go out of state a whole lot, so I'd love to level up as much as possible. Will all the Mass, Maine, NE people be there? And how many from the rest of EC? Just curious.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
So, I'm pretty much confirmed for this. 99% confirmed, I'll be there. But who's all going to be there? I don't get to go out of state a whole lot, so I'd love to level up as much as possible. Will all the Mass, Maine, NE people be there? And how many from the rest of EC? Just curious.
MA, ME, NH, CT, RI, NY all have players planning attendance

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Update:

As opposed to the Top4 in the Pre-Lim Bracket advancing, it will be the top8!

We will now have a 12 man bracket, where the 4 seeded players receive Byes.

With such a diverse regional attendance it is only fair that more players are allowed a shot to the top!

gravy

Smash Ace
Eh, sure, why not?
Prog do you like Campbell products? Because I'm bringing a goofy lanky one with me. ALSO, WNY is showing up in full strength, is anyone down for a 5v5 crew battle?

Meccs

@Meccs_
Yeah any idea of the expected turnout? Not that an hour and a half is really that far but it'd just be nice to know there'll be at least like 20 other people there.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yeah any idea of the expected turnout? Not that an hour and a half is really that far but it'd just be nice to know there'll be at least like 20 other people there.
I'm anticipating 70+ entrants. Definitely more than 20.

We have 20 guaranteed Melee setups so playing wont be hard for anyone.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I heard people still play melee. I don't much anymore, but will probably be fun to show up anyway :)

POOB

Smash Journeyman
if i show up at like 3:45 will i be able to sign up for singles? i know it says 3:30 last call but i can't be there any earlier than 3:45 and maybe a little later depending on traffic

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
if i show up at like 3:45 will i be able to sign up for singles? i know it says 3:30 last call but i can't be there any earlier than 3:45 and maybe a little later depending on traffic
Give me notice of when you will arrive. 617 347 9686

Inform me during the day tomorrow when you plan to arrive.
But 3:45pm is acceptable as a last minute.

th0rn

Smash Lord
ok soo, I think Hax is 'trading me' for m2k so I am in need of a teammate now. Any1 from NY/NJ? swift? tope? koreandj?

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
would it be worth showing up around 4 with a cube to play friendlies? it seems like singles will already be going on by then

CyanNY

Smash Cadet
Hi, I know this thread is sort of dead but are there any players from the Boston area going to Apex who would be able to give me a ride if I end up going? I would be more than happy to chip in gas money. Please inbox me, I would really like to be able to make it this year.

Top Bottom