• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Hi fellow Bombers! Here's something different I bring you; --I tried my best to make this conversation more natural possible (even if I'm not native in english xP; forgive my typos); That's how Bomber and the other two (likely) candidates for guest character in Smash discuss about the possibility to be called to the casting!

Hope you enjoy! It was very hard to make this alone ^^'

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman will be dupe for smash he looks a Nintendo character. I'll be honest use to think was dumb character and his game is a hardcore RPG. When I look up who Bomberman series. Bomberman got so much Nintendo games and I was like wow he shouldn't been playable in Brawl. Even know I suck at Bomberman R I still love the game. Bomberman will be a dream come true if Bomberman is announce for smash 5.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The drawing that I used for the thumbnail of the video I posted above I was actually working on something else. A concept for alt. colors and alt. costumes for the three big candidates for 3rd Party guests in Smash (hope you guys don't mind me sharing this)

Raybox! I'd also love to see that Splinter Cell Ray as a costume even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Nintendo. Also that red Bomberman needs green hands and feet.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Raybox! I'd also love to see that Splinter Cell Ray as a costume even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Nintendo. Also that red Bomberman needs green hands and feet.
Glad you liked it! ^-^ on Red Bomber's case (staying on topic), I used the Super Bomberman R color scheme (as for every brother and sister). I liked when they had different colors for hands and feet, but now barely the skin color changes a bit between them <=P

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Glad you liked it! ^-^ on Red Bomber's case (staying on topic), I used the Super Bomberman R color scheme (as for every brother and sister). I liked when they had different colors for hands and feet, but now barely the skin color changes a bit between them <=P
True

Rumors are starting to point to a different Konami character making it. How does that make everyone feel

Last edited:

M_Patch

Smash Rookie
True

Rumors are starting to point to a different Konami character making it. How does that make everyone feel
Heh, Simon supporters seem to be popping out of the woodwork more than ever since that leak, with many adopting the role of Bomberman-detractors...
Even so, I will not give up hope until the final moment.

M_Patch

Smash Rookie
I made a thing
A good summary of the little fellow's value and situation.

I have made a thing as well, as it were.
This image expresses my feelings in the past, present and future... It will never change, and never be solved until he is included.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What's the point of that? Going through all that effort to get a 3rd party character and putting him as an AT?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Dropping by here to say that it sucks that Bomberman is an assist trophy. A real shame. However, let's hope he gets his chance another day.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What's the point of that? Going through all that effort to get a 3rd party character and putting him as an AT?
Snake and Bomberman are both Konami right? I feel like as soon as the relationship was formed it was probably trivial to get Bomberman.

There's also the possibility that Bomberman performed well in the ballot, but not enough to justify a spot on the roster. So they were bringing Snake back and thought "hey lets get Bomberman and add him as an assist".

It is pretty sucky though. So close and yet so far.

Edit: This actually gives me hope that we could get someone like Phoenix Wright as an assist if he can't be playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is unfortunate. I remember getting very hyped seeing literally everyone returning, but Bomberman as an Assist Trophy bummed me out...
I've wanted him since Smash 64, so this was pretty deflating.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For me the fact that bomberman got to even be an assist trophy is a good sign for the future. Perhaps another day we will get bomberman.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
For me the fact that bomberman got to even be an assist trophy is a good sign for the future. Perhaps another day we will get bomberman.
No offense but I'm getting tired of looking towards the future.

Eygus64

Smash Rookie
I was hoping for Bomberman being a playable character.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Seriously, with the news of the Bomberman character designer passing away and Bomberman being only an Assist Trophy my day couldnt go worse. I'm really sad and dissapointed. I won't buy this Smash. I'm really sad that i even Made a video of my dissapointment. Rest in Peace Shoji Mizuno (1960 - 2018).

I was hoping for Bomberman being a playable character.

I would thank anybody that shares my video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSz-UOlOcM
I feel you, but I'm pretty sure the guy was aware of it. It's still really disappointing all around

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I know you got terrible news these days. I do feel bad with all of you Bomberman did not got in playable. Odd, I wonder if he is Snake´s AT and GreyFox is gone? Why place a main third party character as an AT?

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
I want to remind you guys that not all hope is lost for Bomberman. Hey may be in as an assist trophy, which definitely lowers his chances, but I honestly can see him getting in as a DLC character if there's enough demand for it. Plus, if that were to happen, it would be easy to reskin the Bomberman assist trophy to be a different bomber when playing as Bomberman, similar to Alfonzo. This would nullify any possible confusion between the players and assist trophies. So don't give up hope just yet, everyone! Let's at least be happy he's finally getting acknowledged within the Smash universe.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As someone who doesn't play with items (power creep has rendered them too game determining in more recent games), I disagree. An assist trophy is the same as nothing, except that the nothing you get is being blatantly advertised.

D

Deleted member

No offense but I'm getting tired of looking towards the future.
I honestly have to agree. I admire anyone with the "if not now than then" mentality for having the patience, but that's several years from now for when the next system drops. I won't rule out the possibility of Assist Trophies becoming playable through DLC, but I am having massive doubts this will happen.

As someone who doesn't play with items (power creep has rendered them too game determining in more recent games), I disagree. An assist trophy is the same as nothing, except that the nothing you get is being blatantly advertised.
I never play with items either because they are so game altering. Assist Trophies are better than nothing, but if I don't use them it might as well be nothing.

Seems like my initial disappointment is turning into salt. I will say that I am happy Bomberman is in the game in some form, but I wish it wasn't like this. I honestly would have been fine with just a trophy of him.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I wonder if he wasn't included partially because his bomb based gameplay might overlap with Link and returning Snake both having the remote bombs (though apparently Snake has lost his mines). That said he'd certainly be the only 'bomb chain' or rather 'trap chain' character.

D

Deleted member

Hello everyone. I was the OP of the thread for a few months although I did not do anything with it like I promised. I figure that I may as well give a statement on this.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't disappoint me as he was my most wanted newcomer for this game. I'm surprised that the AT role was even a possibility, something I never seriously considered.

However, I will not dwell on this, and neither should anyone here. Something to remember is that as Super Bomberman R was developed within a matter of a few months, Sakurai may not have caught wind of the existence of this game when going to Konami and as such, assumed that it was a dead franchise. Given this, he gave Bomberman an AT role as a complimentary prize for being a long-running series. The best thing we as fans can take from this is that he has not been forgotten and that we have another opportunity to get him in the next Smash game.

Never falter Bomberman fans. One day, we too will blast into the stratosphere.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
As much as I'm saddened with you all that Bomberman isn't playable, I am at least happy that we're going to be able to see him in Smash at all. This is much better than not having him in the game in any form.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm not one to attempt call people into action, but I feel like we're so close to having Bomberman as a character that we need to make it known he's as wanted as he is. I mean, look at it this way, the biggest hurdle for him is already out of the way, he IS in the game. Nintendo got permission to get him from Konami. The hardest part is done.

His introduction in Smash isn't some half-assed trophy either like Rayman in SSB4. We got a working model, animations, he has attacks, and a hurtbox. He's honestly so close building a playable character from Bomberman right now should be easier than doing it for another character from the ground up.

I'm not saying to petition, or try and shame Sakurai; I just want us to put together our support, maybe write a little about why he should make that next leap, kinda like how the ballot worked, and let it be known ASAP. It's not likely anything will change, but there's no chance of anything changing if we stay content. I want to try and give the guy a chance.

I'm not saying for us to get our hopes up, but right now I'm believe the team just doesn't know he much he's loved, so let's let them know.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm firmly in the camp that Sakurai is looking at additions to this game based on fan support. It could be clunky to implement if it doesn;t alreayd work this way but all that we'd need would something in the code to prevent a bomberman AT when bomberman is picked and he could be made playable. If Sakurai is breaking his rules for fan demand then we need to make sure he knows that Bomberman has fans. FunAtParties FunAtParties is right, it doesn't need to be in the form of a petition or directed straight at him, but if we make it visible then it only raises his chances.

Top Bottom