• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
Don't want him in unless the alternates are the other Bomberman Bros from Super Bomberman R.

D

Deleted member

If they are going to add a guest character, Bomberman is by far the best choice. He hits a lot of the points that makes him a great character
  • Long history
  • Started on Nintendo and has a long history with the company
  • Just had a Switch exclusive that has done very well (500K, will likely break 1 million)
My only criticism is that he's not a culturally prominent as other characters in Smash, but I think his longevity, Nintendo history and Switch exclusive make him a solid choice. I remember PushDustin thought he had a good shot. Didn't agree at the time, but I'd say he is a perfect choice now.
We should remember that Nintendo did not say that Super Bomberman R sold 500K but that they shipped over 500K in less than a month. It does not reflect the actual amount of copies sold of the game. The closest thing we know for certainty is that Game Data Library, which tracks Famitsu's sales data, currently reports that Super Bomberman R has sold 83K copies (skip to week 19 to get results) in Japan.

I don't think Super Bomberman R bombed and there is a good chance the game will ship out more copies (as I see this game selling more copies over the long-term rather than almost all of the sales front-loaded on launch), but it is important to remember the distinction between sold and shipped when discussing sales.
Don't want him in unless the alternates are the other Bomberman Bros from Super Bomberman R.
I think there's a good chance of that happening, at least if we see a strong emphasis on recency like last game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Now E3 is approaching very soon.
I doubt we will hear Smash news, but I like to entertain the fact that we could get more Bomberman news. I can see them announcing brand new content for Super Bomberman R, maybe bringing over Bombergirl, and perhaps a new game for the next year.

We should remember that Nintendo did not say that Super Bomberman R sold 500K but that they shipped over 500K in less than a month. It does not reflect the actual amount of copies sold of the game. The closest thing we know for certainty is that Game Data Library, which tracks Famitsu's sales data, currently reports that Super Bomberman R has sold 83K copies (skip to week 19 to get results) in Japan.

I don't think Super Bomberman R bombed and there is a good chance the game will ship out more copies (as I see this game selling more copies over the long-term rather than almost all of the sales front-loaded on launch), but it is important to remember the distinction between sold and shipped when discussing sales.
I do see Super Bomberman R selling more copies over time. I think it's getting better reception thanks to the patches fixing crucial issues, such as the laggy Wi-Fi and making the PvP AI boss fights easier.
The game definitely didn't bomb (heh), and I honestly think it might be too early to think that, but I can see the game crack over 1 million copies sold.

I think this will happen if Bomberman is in Smash. Recent game and all.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It seems that Super Bomberman R has already reached a wide audience, too - enough for Konami to make a note of it recently;

Konami says Super Bomberman R reached a “wide range of customers”

Super Bomberman R seems to be the boost the franchise needed to reclaim some of its former glory. Last we heard from Nintendo, they confirmed that Konami's title shipped 500k. Now in Konami's fiscal report, the company chimed in to say the game has reached a wide range of customers. Let's hope there's both old and new Bomberman fans alike still having fun with the game, and eager to see where things go next.

Source: Link

It's certainly nice to see that Konami felt this noteworthy enough to give it a specific mention in their financial results.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As a quick heads up, there will be another maintenance patch coming shortly.

Though we probably have to wait much longer for the free DLC (1.4).

D

Deleted member

Now E3 is approaching very soon.
I doubt we will hear Smash news, but I like to entertain the fact that we could get more Bomberman news. I can see them announcing brand new content for Super Bomberman R, maybe bringing over Bombergirl, and perhaps a new game for the next year.
I do not think we will see a new game next year, at least if we want a game that has better reception upon release. Obviously the Hudson Soft team that remains with Konami care about the game and probably had a limited time frame to make Super Bomberman R. If we see a new Bomberman game that is not rushed, it will come out in 2019, especially with an adventure mode.
I do see Super Bomberman R selling more copies over time. I think it's getting better reception thanks to the patches fixing crucial issues, such as the laggy Wi-Fi and making the PvP AI boss fights easier.
The game definitely didn't bomb (heh), and I honestly think it might be too early to think that, but I can see the game crack over 1 million copies sold.
The word of mouth upon the improvements the games receives does help sales but the game still costs $49.99 and remember that the game was criticized for the high price. We're in a situation where many potential buyers are holding off until it reaches a cheaper price -- not the least of which are Nintendo's more well-known multi-player offers in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2) -- so improving the game can only do so much and Konami can only fix so much with this game. By then, there will be even more multi-player options available and shipping out more copies of Super Bomberman R may no longer be viable.

I can see the game reaching 500,000 in sales but 1,000,000 is stretching it and would only happen with an unprecedented length of sales life. That said, this could justify a sequel.
It seems that Super Bomberman R has already reached a wide audience, too - enough for Konami to make a note of it recently;

It's certainly nice to see that Konami felt this noteworthy enough to give it a specific mention in their financial results.
It's not like Konami has much else to show on the gaming front aside from Yu-Gi-Oh! and we're not even talking about video games. But a mention is still a good thing as it shows Konami believes that Super Bomberman R reached a positive sales milestone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Just a few of Bomberman's moves in Smash could be subtle "Mr. Konami & Watch" kinds of moves. Like how Pac-Man did for other Namco games.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Just a few of Bomberman's moves in Smash could be subtle "Mr. Konami & Watch" kinds of moves. Like how Pac-Man did for other Namco games.
Wouldn't that be a bit out-of-character, considering that Konami didn't create Bomberman, and only acquired him through a buyout? :confused:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Technically, Konami was always a parent company of Hudson. Doesn't help that Super Bomberman R is filled with more Konami references than you'd expect.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Technically, Konami was always a parent company of Hudson.
They weren't. Konami only became Hudson's parent-company 32 years after Hudson was founded. ;)

Hudsonsoft were founded in 1973, but were entirely their own company until their bank went bust in 1997, at which point they became a publically-traded company.

Konami bought shares in Hudson in 2001, making Konami Hudson's main shareholder at the time, but Konami didn't own a controlling stake. Konami didn't become Hudson's parent-company until they bought enough shares to make their stake just under 54%, in 2005. This granted them a say in Hudson's business decisions, but Hudson was still a separate company.

Hudsonsoft became a subsidiary of Konami in 2011, and was later fully merged into Konami itself in 2012, and it was at this point that Bomberman became fully owned by Konami, who haven't really done much of note with him until recently, with their biggest moves before Super Bomberman R being cancelling Bomberman 3DS, and relegating Bomberman to Japan-only phone games. (I think we can all be glad that that era is over with. :laugh:)

Doesn't help that Super Bomberman R is filled with more Konami references than you'd expect.
Those only appear to have been done as a nod to the way that Hudson, when independent, used to feature guest-characters in some Bomberman titles in the mid-to-late 1990s, though.

I still don't think that those references would justify sacrificing moves based on Bomberman's own traits in order to include Easter Eggs representing a company that bought him from someone else, personally. It'd be kind of like giving Sonic moves representing Sammy's pachinko operations, because they bought out Sega so as to salvage them and their assets. :p

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Well, Bomberman's under Konami now, so deal with it. Surprisingly, there's a boss in SBR called Judge Gwinbee.

But if he were in any Smash games before, then that may not have been possible.

Besides, doesn't Sonic have a few Virtua Fighter moves?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well, Bomberman's under Konami now, so deal with it.
Don't worry - I have nothing that I need to deal with. ;) I have no issue with that fact, and I haven't for the many years that it has been the case. I even knew that, one day, they'd bring him back.

I still see no reason why they would make him "Mr. Konami & Watch" for the reasons already stated, and "so deal with it" is simply not a convincing argument.

EDIT: I apologise, I loaded the page prior to your edit regarding Sonic;

Besides, doesn't Sonic have a few Virtua Fighter moves?
No, he doesn't. All of his moves are from his own games, and the one I think you're referencing here was from Sonic The Fighters, which was based on the engine for Fighting Vipers.

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
All I can see for his special moveset is throwing, kicking and dropping bombs. And Louie as his up special.

His Smash Attacks would be strong punches and kicks with explosions appearing where he lands them.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
All I can see for his special moveset is throwing, kicking and dropping bombs. And Louie as his up special.

His Smash Attacks would be strong punches and kicks with explosions appearing where he lands them.
I can see dropping and throwing standard bombs as normals, myself (drop would be down, throw would be side)*, with smash attacks being used to create explosions that are a block or two longer, or to set the throw distance, depending on how long they're charged. I picture these as having explosions that only travel horizontally, since Smash doesn't share the same perspective as Bomberman, and it also frees up multi-directional explosions to be a trait for one or two of his specials.

*EDIT: I forgot to add, neutral normal would be a punch, to reference the Bomb Punch, and neutral aerial would be a kick, in reference to the Bomb Kick, not surprisingly. :laugh:

For his specials, I imagine Bomberman using various different types of bombs that originate from power-ups in his home-series - for example, he could drop a Pierce Bomb (which could have its explosion travel through scenery, and explode vertically as well as horizontally in order to show its extra power and dangerousness over a regular bomb), and he could throw a Rubber Bomb (which would bounce around chaotically, just as it does in his home-games - perhaps the way this bounces could be affected by which direction, if any, you input when you use the attack, for extra unpredictability for opponents to deal with).

If those don't suit, he could also lay Remote Control bombs, or perhaps have the ability to combine bombs from his specials into a Dangerous Bomb, with the latter move's power being balanced out by the fact that Bomberman would first have to be quickly shown holding the two bombs that will be combined, in order to create a good reason for the start-up lag that would help to balance the move during gameplay and set the risk/reward balance.

Alternatively, the Dangerous Bomb could instead be used as a specific mechanic when multiple Bomberman players are fighting each other, which would be a cute Easter Egg.

I totally agree with Louie for the up-special - it fits perfectly, and makes sense for a recovery move.

EDIT: Of course, for all we know, they might just bring over Bomberman's moveset (but hopefully not the earsplitting yelling he emits every time he jumps) wholesale from DreamMix TV World Fighters, which was the 2003 Smash knock-off that he appeared in alongside Snake - though I honestly have no idea if that was what they did when they brought Snake over to Smash from there, that said. Who knows?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think it would make sense for Bomberman to use moves or make references from other Konami and Hudson properties.
Bomberman is the former mascot for Hudson yes, but it doesn't match what is the core of his character: creating bombs. I mean it wouldn't make sense for Mega Man to use moves from other Capcom characters (such as Chun-Li's lightning kicks for example) because it doesn't match his character; using weapons from other robot masters makes more sense.

Pac-Man works because his design was to represent the old Namco arcade games and not just Pac-Man as a whole. This is why we see Pac-Man have taunts and specials from other Namco properties.

I believe that Sonic did take something from Virtua Fighter... I forgot which move, but Sakurai did say that in an interview if I recall correctly, but a lot of his other moves come from Sonic the Fighters.

All in all, I don't think that referencing other properties isn't necessarily a bad thing with a move or two (I mean, some newcomers in Smash 4 have moves that represent games outside their own, like Villager's Ballon Trip), but I don't think Bomberman should have a ton of moves like that akin to Mr. Game & Watch.
I mean, his name is Bomberman. I expect some to a lot of bomb usage in his moveset.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't think it would make sense for Bomberman to use moves or make references from other Konami and Hudson properties.
Bomberman is the former mascot for Hudson yes, but it doesn't match what is the core of his character: creating bombs. I mean it wouldn't make sense for Mega Man to use moves from other Capcom characters (such as Chun-Li's lightning kicks for example) because it doesn't match his character; using weapons from other robot masters makes more sense.

Pac-Man works because his design was to represent the old Namco arcade games and not just Pac-Man as a whole. This is why we see Pac-Man have taunts and specials from other Namco properties.

I believe that Sonic did take something from Virtua Fighter... I forgot which move, but Sakurai did say that in an interview if I recall correctly, but a lot of his other moves come from Sonic the Fighters.

All in all, I don't think that referencing other properties isn't necessarily a bad thing with a move or two (I mean, some newcomers in Smash 4 have moves that represent games outside their own, like Villager's Ballon Trip), but I don't think Bomberman should have a ton of moves like that akin to Mr. Game & Watch.
I mean, his name is Bomberman. I expect some to a lot of bomb usage in his moveset.
To play devil's advocate, Mega Man does do a Shoryuken which tmk he never does in his games.

I agree with your point though

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Actually, that's based on a special move he uses in one of the arcade games.

...which in turn was ultimately based on the Shoryuken.

D

Deleted member

Magaman feels like a bad example when his entire schtick is beating people up and taking their moves.
I suppose, but I can't see him reference other moves from other Capcom characters.
But you are right.

To play devil's advocate, Mega Man does do a Shoryuken which tmk he never does in his games.

I agree with your point though
Actually, the Mega Upper was from Marvel vs. Capcom and it's the only original move from those games that Mega Man uses to my knowledge.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
So how would a Bomberman stage work?

A "Bomber Maze"? It would probably have to be repurposed into a Smash stage like Pac-Maze. But what could its "gimmick" be?

The power-up system can be used here? Players can use bombs that appear on the stage and throw them as they make cross-shaped explosions? (Some stages have their own items) And use things like fire-up and speed-up?

D

Deleted member

Also, I'm hoping that Bomberman has no voice.

Mega Man didn't have one. And for the best, at that.
I hope for the same, but I think they would give him his Super Bomberman R voice (which I don't think is *too* bad).
If Bomberman had a voice, I prefer the one he had during the N64 days.

A "Bomber Maze"? It would probably have to be repurposed into a Smash stage like Pac-Maze. But what could its "gimmick" be?

The power-up system can be used here? Players can use bombs that appear on the stage and throw them as they make cross-shaped explosions? (Some stages have their own items) And use things like fire-up and speed-up?
I think the Bomber Maze is the best option and most recognizable option for him, but there could be an oddball choice for a stage... I mean Pac-Man's stage on the Wii U is from Pac-Land of all things.

As for how it would work, I would incorporate power-ups and have them provide temporary buffs to the players. For example, grabbing a speed up item would make your character move faster, more bombs would make attacks faster, and fire power-ups would make your character deal more damage and knockback for example. Bombs would be incorporated into the map in some way, possibly as a stage hazard.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think the Bomber Maze is the best option and most recognizable option for him, but there could be an oddball choice for a stage...
As long as it's not as plain as the iteration of it that appeared in DreamMix TV World Fighters, I think we'll be ok. :laugh:

I mean Pac-Man's stage on the Wii U is from Pac-Land of all things.
I'm still surprised that they didn't include the iconic maze in both versions of the game...

As for how it would work, I would incorporate power-ups and have them provide temporary buffs to the players. For example, grabbing a speed up item would make your character move faster, more bombs would make attacks faster, and fire power-ups would make your character deal more damage and knockback for example. Bombs would be incorporated into the map in some way, possibly as a stage hazard.
I like all of this, and I can easily picture playing on such a stage.

Maybe there could be higher odds of Bob-ombs and other explosive items spawning and appearing from crates and the Party Ball, too?

Well, they used it in Smash Flash 2 (although it is called Bomb Factory). This video shows how it works in that game:

I'm still surprised that they didn't include the iconic maze in both versions of the game...
I wish they had, I don't like Pac-Land at all.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
A second stage for Bomberman would be the Starry Sky Solar System, a Mushroom Kingdom U-style romp through the many planets of Super Bomberman R's story mode.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
While Super Bomberman R is a nice game, I don't want all of the tracks to be from that single game (as good as some are like Eternal Dream and Technolopolis).

Have some classic tracks at least, from the classic Super series or even the original.

Well, they used it in Smash Flash 2 (although it is called Bomb Factory). This video shows how it works in that game:
I can see the real version being like this or something that's feasible instead of fighting in one part of the maze.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is what the music lineup for that SBR stage would be:

(The first two for "Bomber Maze" though)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just saying, if BomberMan does come to Smash he better bring the Bomber King theme with him.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd feel a little weird fighting to Green Garden. It's just so peaceful. Perhaps the Bomberman 64 Opening theme instead?

Also, given how much of the same classic Bomberman piece is in those first three, perhaps we could see theme (and some of the stuff from Hero) in one long mix?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If we're going to get a Bomberman stage, I hope they use the boss theme from Super Bomberman - that song is just catchy.

D

Deleted member

I'd feel a little weird fighting to Green Garden. It's just so peaceful. Perhaps the Bomberman 64 Opening theme instead?

Also, given how much of the same classic Bomberman piece is in those first three, perhaps we could see theme (and some of the stuff from Hero) in one long mix?
There have been odder songs that we've heard in Smash games, the ones that come to mind are the vocal Pikmin tracks in Brawl and Midna's Lament in both Brawl and 4.
It could work depending on the stage. I modded Blue Resort into Delfino Plaza and it fits surprisingly well.

I support bomberman! We need to have all the mans in this game now. lol. A Bomberman stage boggles me though.
If Pac-Maze could work, a Bomberman stage could work.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remember back in the days of the Brawl Hype, Bomberman support was nearly as high as Mega Man support. Of course, both series were still going strong back then. Still, nice to see Bomberman making a comeback in some measure, even if half of it is an echei arcade game.

Strange to think he's a Konami character now... Nintendo dropped the ball on that, they should have bought Hudson. Maybe if they hadn't let that pass we'd have had Bomberman wiiU and Mario Party without CAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRSSSSSS!!!

D

Deleted member

I remember back in the days of the Brawl Hype, Bomberman support was nearly as high as Mega Man support. Of course, both series were still going strong back then. Still, nice to see Bomberman making a comeback in some measure, even if half of it is an echei arcade game.

Strange to think he's a Konami character now... Nintendo dropped the ball on that, they should have bought Hudson. Maybe if they hadn't let that pass we'd have had Bomberman wiiU and Mario Party without CAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRSSSSSS!!!
I doubted that there would be another third party character after Sonic, but I held onto my hopes that Bomberman was going to somehow make it in.

I wish Nintendo bought Hudson too, or at least bought some of their IPs before they went bankrupt. However, I think Konami had some stake in the company, so I think they were going to own their IPs when they went bankrupt.
Though, speaking of Mario Party 9 and 10, ND Cube (the developer of those games) has some former Hudson employees. I dunno whose idea it was to replace the classic MP gameplay for cars, but yeah...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I doubted that there would be another third party character after Sonic, but I held onto my hopes that Bomberman was going to somehow make it in.

I wish Nintendo bought Hudson too, or at least bought some of their IPs before they went bankrupt. However, I think Konami had some stake in the company, so I think they were going to own their IPs when they went bankrupt.
Though, speaking of Mario Party 9 and 10, ND Cube (the developer of those games) has some former Hudson employees. I dunno whose idea it was to replace the classic MP gameplay for cars, but yeah...
Maybe they lost all the people who thought it was a bad idea. Like how George Lucas lost all the people willing to tell him to cut the politics out.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
There have been odder songs that we've heard in Smash games, the ones that come to mind are the vocal Pikmin tracks in Brawl and Midna's Lament in both Brawl and 4.
Don't forget the bathtime theme from Nintendogs, which has a made-for-Smash vocal version.

Fighting to tunes like that tends to come off as comical - it's great. :laugh:

Nintendo never would've had any chance to buy Hudson, and Hudson never went bankrupt, though. ;)

To cut a long story short, Hudson's bank went bankrupt in 1997, Hudson turned to floating their company on the stock-market in order to secure funds that way, and Konami gradually bought more and more shares until they ultimately bought and absorbed the company many years later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom