• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Bomberman R really reminded me how much I use to love this character and his games.

I'd definitely be down for him in Smash Brothers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Funished with Super Bomberman R's story. There some things that I've liked and things I hope are fixed in a possible sequel (given it had the best launch sales of any Bomberman game in Japan).

For starters, the Gem system is broken. You need up to 5,000 of them if you want any of the unlockable fighters. The worst part is that you get the most of them in Story Mode and you get 300 at most per round depending on lives left and the power-ups you get. I hope we get some less obnoxious for the next game.

Then there's the level design. The camera would bode well for the levels if it were far less angeled and gave you more freedom. Levels with a lot of blocks can make things too tight and the ones with infinite spawning enemies are a nightmare to get through (especially if they are "Get the Keys" missions). Also, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit more color. Bomberman is known for being a colorful franchise and the Unity engine makes the levels look dull.

And if I want to be honest, the voice acting just needs more improvement. Sure they were going for a cheesy Saturday morning approach, but that type of voice acting isn't passable with today's standards. Even moments that were meant to be sad or serious were ruining because of this "forced cheesiness".

Lastky, there's the boss fights themselves. You can barely deal hits on the more active ones without losing too many lives. The final boss is far too claustrophobic where you can die many times because of his hands or projectiles. Hell, even the Bomber vs Bomber matches are a pain because of how smart the AI is. Don't get me started on the damn Fort Walker and how hard it a to maneuver around it's massive body

Super Bomberman R is alright, but far from the best Bomberman game of all time. Even when compared to the original four games. A 6/10 seems like the best score I can give it. Apologies for the wall of text.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Count me in as well. Bomberman was and still at this day stands as one of my favorite video game series. Also, its getting a new game in the Switch? Time to go check that out!
Super Bomberman R is great fun, and is everything that it needed to be for a big comeback, I feel. That said, it isn't a perfect game - Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan sums up the game's issues well.

Funished with Super Bomberman R's story. There some things that I've liked and things I hope are fixed in a possible sequel (given it had the best launch sales of any Bomberman game in Japan).

For starters, the Gem system is broken. You need up to 5,000 of them if you want any of the unlockable fighters. The worst part is that you get the most of them in Story Mode and you get 300 at most per round depending on lives left and the power-ups you get. I hope we get some less obnoxious for the next game.

Then there's the level design. The camera would bode well for the levels if it were far less angeled and gave you more freedom. Levels with a lot of blocks can make things too tight and the ones with infinite spawning enemies are a nightmare to get through (especially if they are "Get the Keys" missions). Also, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit more color. Bomberman is known for being a colorful franchise and the Unity engine makes the levels look dull.

And if I want to be honest, the voice acting just needs more improvement. Sure they were going for a cheesy Saturday morning approach, but that type of voice acting isn't passable with today's standards. Even moments that were meant to be sad or serious were ruining because of this "forced cheesiness".

Lastky, there's the boss fights themselves. You can barely deal hits on the more active ones without losing too many lives. The final boss is far too claustrophobic where you can die many times because of his hands or projectiles. Hell, even the Bomber vs Bomber matches are a pain because of how smart the AI is. Don't get me started on the damn Fort Walker and how hard it a to maneuver around it's massive body

Super Bomberman R is alright, but far from the best Bomberman game of all time. Even when compared to the original four games. A 6/10 seems like the best score I can give it. Apologies for the wall of text.
I don't really term experiences with games with a number, but I think I'd give it a little higher personally, as the multi-player is very good (even if the League system in online play is ludicrously harsh, much like the in-game Gem currency is). That said, you've summed up the few issues that I've had with the game perfectly fairly.

The Bomber vs. Bomber bosses, in particular, all too often devolve into spamming a lot of bombs in the hope of tripping up the too-perfect AI, and you're likely to lose a bunch of lives yourself in the process. :laugh: I thought the bigger bosses in the open arenas were much more fun - though you're right about the Fort Walker, it's a little too big!

The lack of colour isn't down to the engine, since there are multi-player arenas that are plenty colourful. That's just a poor art-direction choice. They need to address it in a sequel, for sure.

As for the voice-acting, it's not that the acting is bad - on the contrary, the casting and acting are good, and I really like the voice-work for White in particular - it's that the direction doesn't put it in the best light because of the early-1990s dubbed anime shown on Saturday mornings feel that they strongly went for. In and of itself that's no bad thing, as it works with the series' aesthetic, but you're right, it does put a damper on the more serious moments. Which is kind of a shame, because actual TV shows that had those traits in the 1990s (I'm thinking of stuff like Noozles, here, if you know it) managed their serious moments better. I think they just took that schtick a bit too far and would do fine with just toning it down next time.

Still, the SNES got five Super Bomberman games - with any luck, it won't be any great stretch for the Switch to get a second later on, if Super Bomberman R does well. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Bomberman is my most-wanted third party character. He'll get all of my support!
Count me in as well. Bomberman was and still at this day stands as one of my favorite video game series. Also, its getting a new game in the Switch? Time to go check that out!
Bomberman R really reminded me how much I use to love this character and his games.

I'd definitely be down for him in Smash Brothers.
Thanks for the support!
Remember to click either option on the poll and you will automatically be a supporter!

Or, better yet, I hope that gets patched. I heard that fighters are way too expensive and you don't get a lot for clearing each level. I hope this is something they will fix soon, because it will be a nightmare if they didn't.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Or, better yet, I hope that gets patched. I heard that fighters are way too expensive and you don't get a lot for clearing each level. I hope this is something they will fix soon, because it will be a nightmare if they didn't.
Yeah, they really need to tweak this, and the online League system. It's damn near impossible to get enough Gems for things - it stuns me when I see people in the online mode who scroll through all of the unlockable characters and are high-ranking in the League setup. :laugh: They must have a hell of a lot of time to put into the game, because that's really the only way to manage that.

I don't care about the unlockable characters, but there are extra multi-player stages to be unlocked too, and they're too expensive as well.

With any luck, the upcoming free update will take care of at least some of this.

EDIT: And speaking of the upcoming free update, it's been announced that it will be out this Friday! :grin:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really glad Konami is giving free DLC to Bomberman. Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Gradius all deserve some recognition. The best way they could do that is with the newly released costumes. Still gonna wait on a Snake costume though.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
What I want now is for Bonk, Professor Higgins, and any other Hudson characters to get costumes. Also Snake and Goemon costumes would be nice.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see that SBR is getting more DLC, especially Konami related DLC because I love crossovers.

Seems as though the new update is fixing some issues the game had, such as lowering the boss AI and making the game run at 60 FPS.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Seems as though the new update is fixing some issues the game had, such as lowering the boss AI and making the game run at 60 FPS.
And making the online "League" ranking system less brutal, and providing a signal-strength indicator so you can see how good opponents' internet connections are before a match starts, and greying-out the icons of players who have been knocked out of a multi-player match, and... Best of all... More hats! :grin:

I'm quite fond of the crowns, myself.

Also;

I don't know if this is new or not, because this was the first time that this had happened to me, but you don't get awarded any points for winning if an opponent leaves when a match has ended but before the game can move to the results screen. Unfortunate. (I assume it is new, though, because previously this sort of thing would just freeze everything up for ages.)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seems like this title has proven successful enough that Konami probably won't keep the Bomberman IP dormant following this. :)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Seems like this title has proven successful enough that Konami probably won't keep the Bomberman IP dormant following this. :)
It's refreshing to see! It was definitely the right time for it.

I think people forget that there was a long run of less-than-well-received games during the period when Konami hadn't yet become Hudsonsoft's parent-company, and didn't yet have any say in what they did.

Granted, that doesn't excuse the absence for being as long as it was, but it was the unfortunate consequence of too much meddling with the formula that went on for way too long, and got ran into the ground. (I learned recently that Bomberman: Act Zero had a Japan-only twin for the PSP, modelled after Japanese live-action superhero TV shows. Man, that was something I'd rather not have seen. :laugh:)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just unlocked Peridot's boyfriend.

Can imagine how much more grinding I'll do to get the others. Three entire story playthroughs.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just unlocked Peridot's boyfriend.

Can imagine how much more grinding I'll do to get the others. Three entire story playthroughs.
If only there were easier ways to unlock the characters than grinding for gems. And I just love how the update made playing the game so much better (60 frames had never looked so beautiful for Bomberman).

And please don't say that. People would start shipping her with Magnet Bomber.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Man, the Bomberman news lately has been so encouraging. Even if he doesn't make it into Smash it's done pretty great for a $50 Bomberman game in 2017 in both the US and Japan at least and that bodes well for the future of the franchise. After the initial reception I worried that Konami's response would be "well, we can just release any garbage game and still make money!" rather than "imagine how well a good Bomberman game would have sold!" but it actually seems like they're taking the time to fix up some of the common issues people have with it.

Konami might have my favorite library of IPs outside of Nintendo themselves so the prospect that the success of this could inspire them to look into more modestly budgeted quality retro revivals is pretty exciting. And yeah, its pretty gratifying seeing Bomberman Smash speculation even outside of speculation circles when I felt kinda crazy thinking that Bomberman was a perfect choice just a few months ago.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Bomberman has had a place in mine heart since childhood; I have vague memories of playing it on the Sega Genesis. I became obsessed with the series after I got into the 64 games. I really liked Bomberman Generation for the GameCube, because its multiplayer mode went back to its 2D Roots. Once I buy the Switch (don't know when; it's sold out everywhere!!), Super Bomberman R will be one of the first games I buy.

With Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man out of the way, I fancy Bomberman is the most likely 3rd party newcomer. He's got the popularity, seniority, and uniqueness.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
You have my support. I won't deny that I'd probably have more fun with bomberman than any of the previous set of newcomers from smash 4. Just thinking of the amount of explosions he'd be packing is enough to excite me.

D

Deleted member

If you asked me which are the most plausible 3rd parties for Smash Switch as of now (that is not Snake) are:

-Rayman
-a Tecmo Koei character
-this guy

Key word beign plausible, not likely. Bomberman now is on the map, and the way that Konami is using Bomberman right now (capitalizing on the nostalgia factor by putting "Super" in the title like the Snes games, giving a retail release with a high price rather than just beign a small download-only title with a small price, the fact the Konami actually hears the complaints of the fans and fixes them with a patch and even releases FREE DLC based on characters of other franchises in a similar manner to Mario Kart 8's DLC) makes me think that they are really pushing for this game, up to the point that i kinda want to get the game now if only because i want to support the franchise.

Not to mention i always felt Bomberman was a recognizable character , more so than other characters in Smash. Not super iconic, but defintely easily recognizable.

Is Bomberman likely? ehh don't know, but he is definetly possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Key word beign plausible, not likely. Bomberman now is on the map, and the way that Konami is using Bomberman right now (capitalizing on the nostalgia factor by putting "Super" in the title like the Snes games, giving a retail release with a high price rather than just beign a small download-only title with a small price, the fact the Konami actually hears the complaints of the fans and fixes them with a patch and even releases FREE DLC based on characters of other franchises in a similar manner to Mario Kart 8's DLC) makes me think that they are really pushing for this game, up to the point that i kinda want to get the game now if only because i want to support the franchise.
You're forgetting a key point: Nintendo funded Super Bomberman R.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Big if true
The game is Switch-exclusive, and Nintendo is listed in the credits. It's been said that the game wouldn't have happened without them.

Clearly, Nintendo felt that Bomberman was worth investing in for their new console. And that's pretty big.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Throwing in my hat as a supporter. Super Bomberman R proved that the Bomberman fanbase is still as loyal as ever and the general game is still fun. If Nintendo sees enough support for the newest franchise entry, it's definitely plausible.

The only glaring obstacle I see is that if Konami has to choose between characters to represent them in Sm4sh, they'd almost certainly choose Snake over Bomberman because he already has a moveset. I'd love to be proven wrong as we've seen the lengths Nintendo will go to (looking at you, Bayonetta), but this invariably requires me to have faith that Konami won't screw it up horribly, and I simply... well, don't.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The only glaring obstacle I see is that if Konami has to choose between characters to represent them in Sm4sh, they'd almost certainly choose Snake over Bomberman because he already has a moveset.
I could well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work that way. Nintendo is the one seeking out and paying licensing fees for these third-party inclusions to appear in their game, after all - I expect that Nintendo would be the ones choosing what they're spending their money on.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You're forgetting a key point: Nintendo funded Super Bomberman R.
You gotta link to that? I 100% believe that that is fully possible but I haven't seen it stated a single time. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
Throwing in my hat as a supporter. Super Bomberman R proved that the Bomberman fanbase is still as loyal as ever and the general game is still fun. If Nintendo sees enough support for the newest franchise entry, it's definitely plausible.

The only glaring obstacle I see is that if Konami has to choose between characters to represent them in Sm4sh, they'd almost certainly choose Snake over Bomberman because he already has a moveset. I'd love to be proven wrong as we've seen the lengths Nintendo will go to (looking at you, Bayonetta), but this invariably requires me to have faith that Konami won't screw it up horribly, and I simply... well, don't.
If they indeed try to get Bomberman I have no doubt they'll try to get Snake as well because he is a really popular character and could boost sales in his own way. The other way around where they go to them to get Snake? Not a guarantee they'll go for Bomberman as well but if Tortilla is right about Nintendo helping fund Super Bomberman R then it is definitely a possibility. Either way, I don't think Bomberman is getting in without Snake and if Tortilla's claims stand true then it's more likely they'll go after the Bomber and Snake along with him.
I could well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work that way. Nintendo is the one seeking out and paying licensing fees for these third-party inclusions to appear in their game, after all - I expect that Nintendo would be the ones choosing what they're spending their money on.
Sakurai WAS the deciding factor in terms of third-parties that will change if he's not directing this time around. Sakurai would always go after who he wanted to go after with Nintendo's approval. Even when it came to Snake and Cloud Nintendo backed him in his decisions. Maybe if he isn't director though Nintendo will have more of a pick and choose but yeah, I don't think Konami would go to them and choose the character.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that this is how it worked for Sonic, Cloud, Megaman, Bayonetta and Ryu. Snake was by request from his creator though and Pacman is a whole 'nother story due to being owned by the game's subcontractor.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You gotta link to that? I 100% believe that that is fully possible but I haven't seen it stated a single time. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
Try as I might, I can no longer find where I heard this, either.

I can only assume that I misremembered something, and it got combined with the fact that exclusivity implies payment for it and the fact that Nintendo is credited as the game's development partner.

I sincerely apologise for the incorrect information!

EDIT: Aha! I found where it must have originated from: This bit of behind-the-scenes talk, in which a Konami representative revealed that the game was a result of Nintendo and Konami coming together to make it happen. So, by that logic, it's definitely at least been part-funded by Nintendo.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Today's Nintendo Dream with the Super Bomberman R producer Noriaki Okamura was interesting. Okamura talks about things like the decision for a photorealistic look because he wanted to be true to the fine details Super Bomberman had, an anime is possible if there's enough fan demand for it (which he is also interested in it happening), Bomberman was given a family since 8 players were intended in the game from the start and he wanted to give the Bomberman Brothers personality as a weird colorful one (citing Super Sentai as an inspiration), he felt the Switch was the perfect platform for Bomberman fans to play on the go or outside with friends and family, he stressed that the game must capture that classic Bombrman feel for the fans while modernizing it a bit, there's also some cut content like scrapped items (maybe they were the remote control bombs) and stages that would have multiple floors like a building, and how making the game too 3D wouldn't make the game feel like Super Bomberman (Sorry Bomberman 64 fans).

Also, there were some genuine things that Okamura answered like Bombergirl existing doesn't mean Konami is trying to push Bomberman this year (which is no surprise since it's an unrelated project anyway) and he wishes for the franchise to live on for the future after he was giving the task to revive the series (talking about how his love for Bomberman is why this game came to be). For his sake, I sure wish we can see more of Bomebrman in the future instead of him being deader than his fellow Konami pals.

http://nintendoeverything.com/super...r-switch-anime-interest-cut-stages-much-more/

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll only accept a Bomberman anime if they use the game's ending Hero for it. Then again, the game already feels like an anime on its own. They can even hire the same actors if it were to happen.

Very interesting to here how very passionate he felt about the production of the game, even if some aspects of were rushed. If those scrapped items were things like Rooeys and such, I would like them to return in a sequel. I'm not seeing how a multi-floor stage would have worked. However, I would mind seeing them tackle a possible successor to the 3D exploration Bomberman titles like 64.

I feel that it's suspicious that no one asked him about Bomberman and Smash. But then again, he wouldn't want to give us an answer for that either. That being said, I do hope this isn't the last of Bomberman. R was off to a rocky start, but I would like to see more ideas like that later down the Switch's lifetime.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I didn't even know Bombergirl was a thing. Either way, be it R, Bombergirl, an interest in a Bomberman anime, etc., even if unrelated, I hope these projects are a sign of things to come. Hopefully R and maybe even Bombergirl do well enough to garner enough attention in Konami's eyes so that they don't abandon the series again.

And with Super Bomberman R doing pretty alright, I hope they take note and actually try to bring back some other series too.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Very interesting to here how very
abortions he felt about the production of the game, even if some aspects of were rushed.
Im assuming this was auto correct shenanigans, but I can't figure it out. What was supposed to be here?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Today's Nintendo Dream with the Super Bomberman R producer Noriaki Okamura was interesting. Okamura talks about things like the decision for a photorealistic look because he wanted to be true to the fine details Super Bomberman had, an anime is possible if there's enough fan demand for it (which he is also interested in it happening), Bomberman was given a family since 8 players were intended in the game from the start and he wanted to give the Bomberman Brothers personality as a weird colorful one (citing Super Sentai as an inspiration), he felt the Switch was the perfect platform for Bomberman fans to play on the go or outside with friends and family, he stressed that the game must capture that classic Bombrman feel for the fans while modernizing it a bit, there's also some cut content like scrapped items (maybe they were the remote control bombs) and stages that would have multiple floors like a building, and how making the game too 3D wouldn't make the game feel like Super Bomberman (Sorry Bomberman 64 fans).

Also, there were some genuine things that Okamura answered like Bombergirl existing doesn't mean Konami is trying to push Bomberman this year (which is no surprise since it's an unrelated project anyway) and he wishes for the franchise to live on for the future after he was giving the task to revive the series (talking about how his love for Bomberman is why this game came to be). For his sake, I sure wish we can see more of Bomebrman in the future instead of him being deader than his fellow Konami pals.

http://nintendoeverything.com/super...r-switch-anime-interest-cut-stages-much-more/
It would be interesting to see a Super Bomberman R anime, which would make it the second time Bomberman had an anime. (in case you don't know, Bomberman had an anime called Bomberman Jetters and there was a game based on the anime) It's a shame that we won't be getting a 3D game for a while... I would love to see another Bomberman 64 game to come out (just... don't make the bosses RNG based).

I just hope that they continue the franchise after SBR's all done with its DLC. I would hate to see him be put on the back burner for god knows how many years.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It would be interesting to see a Super Bomberman R anime, which would make it the second time Bomberman had an anime. (in case you don't know, Bomberman had an anime called Bomberman Jetters and there was a game based on the anime) It's a shame that we won't be getting a 3D game for a while... I would love to see another Bomberman 64 game to come out (just... don't make the bosses RNG based).

I just hope that they continue the franchise after SBR's all done with its DLC. I would hate to see him be put on the back burner for god knows how many years.
I've seen Jetters before a long time ago. It's was an interesting and fairly serious adaption to the Bomberman we knew and love without being too edgy like Act Zero. I liked Buggler's portrayal in the same show too, as if he's less than a generic evil dude like his game appearances. I've heard the game had notoriously bad acting however, but the same can be said for other Bomberman titles.

I'm with you on that one, they need to continue the franchise instead of leaving him behind again, especially after those 500k sales since launch. The launch sales did better than most Bomberman games in existence except Bomberman World. There's so much ripe potential with the series since it was fully rebooted, they can even focus on bringing back some fan favorite items too. Bomberman going back into the shadows would be the worst thing to imagine.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm not seeing how a multi-floor stage would have worked.
I'm having difficulty picturing something workable, too. But then again, I'd imagine that that's why it was scrapped. :laugh:

I've heard the game had notoriously bad acting however, but the same can be said for other Bomberman titles.
The worst acting in the whole series, if you ask me, is that of the UK release of Bomberman World for the PlayStation. Whilst the UK magazine demo retained the madcap Japanese voice-clips, the final UK version had these re-dubbed by what sounded like a schoolteacher or someone's middle-aged mother putting on a less-than-convincing high-pitched "crazy" shouty voice.

It was obviously bad direction, as opposed to bad acting, but it really took a lot of the manic atmosphere out of the game.

I'd honestly be amazed if there was something worse. :laugh:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just got Super Bomberman R (I remembered I had a gift card for EB Games with $15 on it, which was roughly the amount that I was waiting for the game's price to go down by), and while I've only played a bit of it, it reminds me a lot of Super Bomberman for the Super NES, which is a huge plus. Even the power-ups look the exact same!

The game's fun, but hard (at least on Normal/Veteran difficulty - I got up to World 1-8 before I ran out of lives!) - I feel like it will take practice, but it's pretty enjoyable.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just got Super Bomberman R (I remembered I had a gift card for EB Games with $15 on it, which was roughly the amount that I was waiting for the game's price to go down by), and while I've only played a bit of it, it reminds me a lot of Super Bomberman for the Super NES, which is a huge plus. Even the power-ups look the exact same!

The game's fun, but hard (at least on Normal/Veteran difficulty - I got up to World 1-8 before I ran out of lives!) - I feel like it will take practice, but it's pretty enjoyable.
As someone who doesn't have a long history with Bomberman, I agree it's hard. Hearing that stupid sleepy one beat me constantly will give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

D

Deleted member

I would definitely watch a Bomberman anime provided it actually gets a translation in English.

(still waiting to earn enough money to buy a Switch and Bomberman).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If they are going to add a guest character, Bomberman is by far the best choice. He hits a lot of the points that makes him a great character
  • Long history
  • Started on Nintendo and has a long history with the company
  • Just had a Switch exclusive that has done very well (500K, will likely break 1 million)
My only criticism is that he's not a culturally prominent as other characters in Smash, but I think his longevity, Nintendo history and Switch exclusive make him a solid choice. I remember PushDustin thought he had a good shot. Didn't agree at the time, but I'd say he is a perfect choice now.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If they are going to add a guest character, Bomberman is by far the best choice. He hits a lot of the points that makes him a great character
  • Long history
  • Started on Nintendo and has a long history with the company
  • Just had a Switch exclusive that has done very well (500K, will likely break 1 million)
And he was the first third-party character to ever have a canonical crossover with the Nintendoverse, too, thanks to the first Bomberman Game Boy title being reworked into Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman for its Western release. :4wario:

My only criticism is that he's not a culturally prominent as other characters in Smash
Heheh, this makes me feel a little bit old. :laugh: I can still remember when Bomberman was every bit as culturally-relevant as the likes of Mario, Sonic, Ryu, so on. People would even scramble to import those awesome Bomberman-face multi-taps from Japan, and that went on for years - and this was in spite of the fact that importing stuff was incredibly difficult and expensive back then (thankfully times have since changed).

(Source.)

Still, that's an inevitable consequence of a long absence that was preceded by years of mismanagement. Hopefully Bomberman will be able to begin rebuilding his prestige, now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom