• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I really like the Skull Kids as a species, so I would be thrilled to see them come back. And if we can add a third (or possibly fourth, if you count TP) appearance to the boy from Majora's Mask, all the better!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That would be cool, though I'd want MM Skull Kid in particular to make an appearance as well.
That depends if Majora's Mask itself can reincarnate in BOTW's timeline. Then again, it is in its own one from any existing timeline and the DLC kind of breaks the canon in some ways.

I wouldn't mind Skull Kid back as the villain again with the mask back with a stronger form.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Man, the more I think about it, the more I think Skull Kid becomes my favorite Zelda villain.

(This is going to be a big post. Oops.)

Most of them are one-offs with little personality or true motivation besides "bad." Agahnim is barely a character. As much as I love the Oracle games, Veran and Onox aren't particularly interesting. Bellum has a neat design but not much beyond that, and Malladus, while extremely cool, is basically just Ganon 2.

Zant actually has a pretty interesting story with some understandable and relatable motivations, and a really cool design. Ghirahim is obviously bursting with personality, and while I don't love him the way some people do, I certainly think he's fun. (Though when we first saw him, I thought he might be Vaati, and I kind of wish he had been.) Demise is interesting, in that he's honorable in his conduct, but ultimately I think he could've used more development. Yuga is fine, but is in many ways just Ghirahim 2. Then there's Hilda, who I actually think is a pretty good villain. It's obvious that she doesn't want to be, but she's at her wit's end and is just desperately trying to save her dying kingdom. Special mention goes to the Nightmares, who aren't that interesting except in what they show us about Link himself.

So we come to the returning villains, Vaati and Ganon. I think Vaati has a decent design, but a fairly weak backstory and not enough character. I think there's a lot of potential for him to be more interesting than he is, but he sadly seems to have been abandoned. As for Ganon...

Sadly, for the main villain of the franchise, there's a woeful amount of character. In most games, he's just a bad dude who wants to rule the world. Sometimes he doesn't even have a personality. And there's so much potential there. He's stuck in the same cycle as Link and Zelda, but it's never talked about. He never acknowledges it or brings it up, and it's a shame, because I think some recognition that they're stuck endlessly--maybe some introspection into his motivations and what it is he hopes to gain--would be very good for his character.

The best incarnation of Ganon, in my opinion, is in The Wind Waker. Sure, he spends a large portion of the game just being bad, but before your final confrontation, he talks to you about why he so desperately wants Hyrule. He even says he won't kill you, and just requires your Triforce. It really humanizes him to see him talking about how he just wanted the best for his people, even if his methods for acquiring it were extreme. And it frames him as almost tragic, seeing the way he holds on to the one thing he can: the land beneath the waves. Everything else is gone, so he clings to the past because it's all he has left.

All this to say: I think the Skull Kid has the most interesting history and character arc in the whole series. A childish imp who made friends with the gods of Termina, who started acting up when he thought they had abandoned him. Eventually they returned only to rebuke him and the way he had been acting. The boy went on to meet and befriend a Hylian child, who vanished from his life as well. Feeling abandoned by all his friends, he was reduced to shaking and whimpering from cold and loneliness until he became friends with a pair of fairies, with whom he continued playing tricks.

But one day he bit off much more than he could chew by attacking the Happy Mask Salesman. He stole one of the most powerful artifacts in the world without realizing what it could do and what he was getting himself into, and the mask preyed on his insecurities. At first they seemed to get along, but his mostly harmless pranks began to take on a more sinister bent as the mask warped his personality more and more. He must have felt so lost in his own head, watching himself do despicable things he didn't really want to do. And there was no fighting back against a mind as powerful as the mask's.

Then, when he has outlived his usefulness, the mask casts him aside like mere garbage, showing him exactly how used he has been. How must he feel, in those first moments of clarity? Completely worthless, I would think. Alone and despised and terrified, yet again. Especially if he hears one of his fairy friends laying into him about how weak he is.

At least he gets to make amends with Link and the giants. I like to think he did his best to help out around Termina in the coming years, doing his best to make up for everything he did under the mask's influence.

But it gets even more tragic if you think of the Skull Kid from Twilight Princess as the same one. After reconnecting with his Hylian friend, he is left alone again when Link eventually passes away. Maybe that's why he turns to making puppets, just to have somebody to play with again. But does he feel guilty about them, remembering how it felt being Majora's puppet? How does he reconcile what he's doing with the way he himself was treated?

Eventually he finds that a wolf has made its way into his forest, but it's not just any wolf. It reminds him of his old friend, the one who taught him that song. And not only that, this wolf has a masked imp on its back! He decides to have some fun with them. Later on, a Hylian comes to the forest, looking so much like his old friend and even wearing his same clothes. Does he try to become friends with this Hylian? I like to think they do become friends. I would love it if that same Skull Kid was friends with each of Link's descendants throughout the ages. I also enjoy the image of the Skull Kid and the Hero's Shade hanging out in the forest. Though as fun as that image is, it's also tinged with sadness, because the Skull Kid is helplessly watching Link go through the same grief that he cured so many other spirits of back in Termina.

I'm definitely rambling at this point, because I've basically been writing this for an hour now, but my point is, I think the Skull Kid is a tragic, fascinating character, and my appreciation for him has only grown since I joined this thread. I know not too many of us are sticking around nowadays, but to everyone who still checks the thread, thank you very much for your undying support, and for helping me to realize how phenomenal of a character our masked boy really is.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hey guys, if you have a Twitter account, follow this page

Take a look at Night of the Moon Rising #AssistAlliance (@NightoftheMoon1): https://twitter.com/NightoftheMoon1?s=09

Especially because
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I suggest spreading the love (pun kinda intended) everywhere, if you have an account elsewhere. Post about Skull Kid!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I can't believe it's already been 4 years. I still remember Operation Moonfall which started sometime after OOT3D came out which was almost 8 years ago. I feel older everyday.
Jeez, that's nuts. I remember signing it! Where did all the time go?

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I feel tempted to actually get MM 3D now. I know that it's not as good as the original MM, but the 3DS is on its last legs (if not completely devoid of new games from now on thanks to the Switch) and I need to use my DS eshop funds on something.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Do it. You might even like it more, despite what everyone says. I do, after all!

You'll never know for sure unless you play it.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Let's just say that, with all of these ports, if they decided to just port OoT and MM 3D wholesale to Switch...I'd but those games again. I think I already have four ports of OoT - the N64, the two for Game Cube (one with Master Quest, the other with MM), and the 3DS one.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Let's just say that, with all of these ports, if they decided to just port OoT and MM 3D wholesale to Switch...I'd but those games again. I think I already have four ports of OoT - the N64, the two for Game Cube (one with Master Quest, the other with MM), and the 3DS one.
Right there with you. I'm actively hoping they port them, because I don't want to look at my 3DS anymore. :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Agreed. I want to play these classic on a console again.

The 3DS is just irrelevant now.

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
I'm playing BoTW right now. Does anyone know a sort of costume combination that looks similar to Skull Kid? Some armor can also be dyed, so I want to look as similar to Skull Kid as possible.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Just got to the second map in World of Light yesterday. First thing I did is beeline for the Zelda section of the map there, and solve the time puzzle to get Mii Brawler, so then I could play as Skull Kid in that section.

Got to say running around as Skull Kid in that section, solving the puzzles, and pulling the master sword out to unlock the third area of the Zelda section, really felt like I was playing a Skull Kid-centered top-down RPG, which I found totally awesome,

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just got to the second area in World of Light yesterday. First thing I did is beeline for the Zelda section of the map there, and solve the time puzzle to get Mii Brawler, so then I could play as Skull Kid in that section.

Got to say running around as Skull Kid in that section, solving the puzzles, and pulling the master sword out to unlock the third area of the Zelda section, really felt like I was playing a Skull Kid-centered top-down RPG, which I found totally awesome,
That sounds nice. It really does sound like you are playable a Skull Kid centric spinoff. I did like that section of WOL.

Like it’s the perfect Zelda fanservice in Smash we’ve ever gotten. Even down to the Lost Woods.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That sounds nice. It really does sound like you are playable a Skull Kid centric spinoff. I did like that section of WOL.

Like it’s the perfect Zelda fanservice in Smash we’ve ever gotten. Even down to the Lost Woods.
Actually, it was in the WOD. But just imagine had Skull Kid been playable in the game, there probably would have been a Moon area or Clock Town area in the Zelda section of WOD. It would have been so awesome.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Actually, it was in the WOD. But just imagine had Skull Kid been playable in the game, there probably would have been a Moon area or Clock Town area in the Zelda section of WOD. It would have been so awesome.
Yeah, there would had been much more to that Zelda area had we gotten a playable Skull Kid.

Moon and Clock Town actually would be great to see in WOL. Especially with the final hours theme when he appears for a fight.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Majora's Mask is my all time favourite Zelda game, so I will support.
Welcome, this place has kinda died since Skull Kid was deconfirmed, but there are those who hope for wave 2 that will feature assists trophies as playable characters

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Welcome, this place has kinda died since Skull Kid was deconfirmed, but there are those who hope for wave 2 that will feature assists trophies as playable characters
I'm thinking it would be good if we got conversation going again here somehow. The Isaac fans are in the same "Assist Trophy and Mii Costume" boat as us, and they're thread is getting posts rather frequently.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm thinking it would be good if we got conversation going again here somehow. The Isaac fans are in the same "Assist Trophy and Mii Costume" boat as us, and they're thread is getting posts rather frequently.
I would bring up something big that's happening. There will be a big community project that is a Smash tournament between Midna and Skull Kid fans that is happen soon. At least that's a fun thing both communities are doing together to have fun and stay occupied. I know I will join and will support Team Skull Kid.

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
I would bring up something big that's happening. There will be a big community project that is a Smash tournament between Midna and Skull Kid fans that is happen soon. At least that's a fun thing both communities are doing together to have fun and stay occupied. I know I will join and will support Team Skull Kid.
Oh yeah, that's happening between mine and someone else's Midna server.

ALSO, I have some news for you! I made a petition for Skull Kid to become a DLC fighter for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! http://chng.it/B7nSjvn6k2

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
That feeling when Skull Kid was an assist trophy

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/endoskull/art/Lost-Kid-365241270

Thanks to PushDustIn PushDustIn , I always feel the need to share a source of I can.
Or the feeling when Skull Kid gets a lot of popularity and attention and ends up not even being mentioned in the Final Direct and it takes a week for you to recover from the pain inside your heart and then taking one more week to recover after realizing a plant got in before him. That was my feeling of it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My main issue is the popularity drop, people are talking a lot less about him now. I don't want him to be some fad. I want him to be a part of the highest requested characters.

Even I admit I'm guilty of it. I just felt a lot less enthusiastic about talking smash after the recent events. My least favourite Pokemon. Joker who is like a bad omen of what to come and pretty much everyone talking almost exclusively on third party characters being dlc.

It's tough, I like Smash because it's a NINTENDO cross over. And it feels like all the Nintendo love is over now. The only character I want who I have any hope for is Banjo (who I grew up with as a Nintendo character), and it seems he's probably going to be pushed aside for 6 connected blocks.

I just have no hope left. I don't think Smash speculation will ever be the same. And honestly I doubt we'll get season 2.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
My main issue is the popularity drop, people are talking a lot less about him now. I don't want him to be some fad. I want him to be a part of the highest requested characters.

Even I admit I'm guilty of it. I just felt a lot less enthusiastic about talking smash after the recent events. My least favourite Pokemon. Joker who is like a bad omen of what to come and pretty much everyone talking almost exclusively on third party characters being dlc.

It's tough, I like Smash because it's a NINTENDO cross over. And it feels like all the Nintendo love is over now. The only character I want who I have any hope for is Banjo (who I grew up with as a Nintendo character), and it seems he's probably going to be pushed aside for 6 connected blocks.

I just have no hope left. I don't think Smash speculation will ever be the same. And honestly I doubt we'll get season 2.
Well, that's kinda what happened to the Midna community past the August Direct, we were kinda killed of right off the bat ... so it was a big blow on the fan base, Skull Kid at least had his moment to shine within the month of speculation, the Midna community is getting back up now, so just give it a few month for Skull Kid, and well, they'll be back too, I'm sure of it, don't give up hope !

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
Well, that's kinda what happened to the Midna community past the August Direct, we were kinda killed of right off the bat ... so it was a big blow on the fan base, Skull Kid at least had his moment to shine within the month of speculation, the Midna community is getting back up now, so just give it a few month for Skull Kid, and well, they'll be back too, I'm sure of it, don't give up hope !
Oh, hello Violet. Fancy seeing you here. And I sure won't lose hope for the character/characters I love! I'm determined to make the dream possible for DLC!

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Oh, hello Violet. Fancy seeing you here. And I sure won't lose hope for the character/characters I love! I'm determined to make the dream possible for DLC!
Hey Dual! And yeah hehe, that's the Spirit! Our fan bases are strong and the characters we want are amazing additions! Now we just need to push a bit so that our voices can be heard! We can do this! I know it!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I use to dream that the big 3 franchises would all have 8 characters each (well before "everyone is here") I'd imagine Skull Kid, Midna and Ghirahim all getting in

Now with young link back, I want Skull Kid more than ever (my dream is every Hyrule Warriors character, and every Kirby dream friend but that's some else) now to be reasonable, I'd probably be Skull Kid and Midna with Impa as a Sheik echo.

I'm still surprised Impa wasn't an echo. She and Daisy I thought was a no brainer. At least one of them happened.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I somehow forgot to talk about it here ...

We are officially organising an event in the Midna support server ! A ZeldaFest will take place between the Midna server, and the Skull Kid one, the rules are simple, join the Discord, Pick a Team, and from Saturday 00:00 CTM to Sunday 23:59 CTM, special Matchup for Smash Ultimate will be in place, find a match against a member of the opposite Team, and then battle against him in the glory of your favorite character ! Each 3 battles earn one point to the Winner's team, the Team with the most point at the end of the event win ! So which one of those Masked Tricksters will win ? It's only up to you guys !

The event is starting in only 5 hours, but you can join mid way without problem if you are interested ! Sorry again for forgetting to talk about it here, links to the Discord are in the Original Post of this Thread (Midna Thread) and in my Sig ! Good luck to everyone participating !
I think it's also a good thing to post that here since this first event is made with the Skull Kid support Server, so yeah, join in if you're interested Skull Kid fans ! And Show us the power of your Masked Marauders ! (Hope it's no problem to you TC that I post that here)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think it's also a good thing to post that here since this first event is made with the Skull Kid support Server, so yeah, join in if you're interested Skull Kid fans ! And Show us the power of your Masked Marauders ! (Hope it's no problem to you TC that I post that here)
Of course not! I'd probably participate too if I was more into playing online (which is kinda hard when you went without internet for a long time and then when you got internet it wasn't that good)

I encourage all talk! But when it comes to Zelda characters, my focus is pretty much Skull Kid

UserKev

Smash Champion
Skull Kid is one of the least hopeful characters, honestly. I wouldn't expect the character to be heavily discussed until his fate is unknown. I wouldn't focus too much on the Assist Trophy movement, also.

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid is one of the least hopeful characters, honestly. I wouldn't expect the character to be heavily discussed until his fate is unknown. I wouldn't focus too much on the Assist Trophy movement, also.
So you're telling me that you'd rather just watch how things played out, instead of being the part of the action and try to change something? This may be our only hope for getting Skull Kid in Smash and you'd throw it all away? Nothing is going to happen if we just stand here and watch, we need the do something about this, all of us! Even if there is little hope for the character it shouldn't stop us from pushing for him and supporting him!

Top Bottom