• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I admit I've never played Persona 5, but appearance-wise Joker reminds me of Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon and he looks so cool!

I didn't think I would get any of the DLC unless there's a second wave of Assist Trophy upgrades, but dang I might actually get him.

Also on another note, since I'm not getting Smash til Christmas in all likelihood, would someone here be able to confirm if it's only Mii Brawler that can use the Skull Kid Costume, or if all of them can? Also we seriously need a Mii Mage.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Also on another note, since I'm not getting Smash til Christmas in all likelihood, would someone here be able to confirm if it's only Mii Brawler that can use the Skull Kid Costume, or if all of them can? Also we seriously need a Mii Mage.
I'm in the same boat. 18 more days to wait, and where's my Mii Wizard?!

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Skull Kid is Brawler only.

My personal version of him is equipped with Shotput (to represent the moon), Soaring Axe Kick (up and back down, like the moon), Feint Jump (a tricky move for our trickster), and Burning Dropkick (not really a reference, but it felt more like him than Onslaught or Suplex). For his voice, I chose voice 8, normal.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid is Brawler only.

My personal version of him is equipped with Shotput (to represent the moon), Soaring Axe Kick (up and back down, like the moon), Feint Jump (a tricky move for our trickster), and Burning Dropkick (not really a reference, but it felt more like him than Onslaught or Suplex).
Definitely making a note of those to equip mine with 18 days from now! XD Even though he's not going to have Skull Kid's moves, he still sounds like he'll be fun to use.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Definitely making a note of those to equip mine with 18 days from now! XD Even though he's not going to have Skull Kid's moves as of now, he still sounds like he'll be fun to use.
One thing I only just got to check again: I gave him voice 8, normal. There are twelve voice options, with a high, normal, and low variation of each, which means a lot of customizability for voices! None of them are perfect, none of them have the laugh, but I think voice 8, normal, is a decent approximation. I'll edit this into my other post too, so you can find it all in one place.

I'm curious to see what everyone else does with him! And if there's a better voice I just didn't find at the time.

The biggest downside of the Miis is that you can't use them in Classic. But they are in WoL at least!

Someone posted this cool fanart on the discussion thread yesterday:
There's more smash characters in the same artstyle here, they were all made a while ago. Let's just say that the 'Persona 5 x Smash' concept that the artist was going for aged pretty well considering yesterday's reveal.

Speaking of the reveal, Reggie himself made some clarifications about the next DLC characters, here's the video:
"these are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

What do you guys think of this?

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Someone posted this cool fanart on the discussion thread yesterday:

There's more smash characters in the same artstyle here, they were all made a while ago. Let's just say that the 'Persona 5 x Smash' concept that the artist was going for aged pretty well considering yesterday's reveal.

Speaking of the reveal, Reggie himself made some clarifications about the next DLC characters, here's the video:

"these are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Daanngg, Link looks awesome in that Persona style! I'm guessing maybe something like a form of The Hero's Shade would be his Persona? That would fulfill that "I am thou, thou art I" thing... I kind of wonder how Skull Kid would look in that style.

As for what Reggie meant, I'm pretty sure he meant that this wave of DLC they're including characters who aren't Assists, Costumes, or Spirits. Not necessarily from new series as I see a lot of people claiming, just characters who aren't in Smash in some form yet.

Last edited:
Daanngg, Skull Kid looks awesome in that humanized Persona style! I'm guessing maybe something like a form of Majora's Incarnation would be his Persona? Then again Majora definitely doesn't fulfill that "I am thou, thou art I" thing...
That's Link btw :p

As for what Reggie meant, I'm pretty sure he meant that this wave of DLC they're including characters who aren't Assists, Costumes, or Spirits. Not necessarily from new series as I see a lot of people claiming, just characters who aren't in Smash in some form yet.
That's my interpretation as well.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think the circumstances look weirdly good for Porky to be one of the DLC characters. I'm not opposed to that at all, more Mother is fine by me, I just...well, like Reggie said, I wouldn't have expected him!

I realized that before you posted and thought I could change it before anyone noticed. You beat me to it.
:chuckle:
I think the circumstances look weirdly good for Porky to be one of the DLC characters. I'm not opposed to that at all, more Mother is fine by me, I just...well, like Reggie said, I wouldn't have expected him!
Agreed, Porky would be a great choice. Tho i wonder if by ''these are going to be characters that are new to the series'' Reggie means 'character that never appeared in a smash game'.

That could hurt Porky's chances since he was a Boss in Brawl iirc. I guess it's open to interpretation, same goes for 'characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate', it depends on what you're personally anticipating...

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
:chuckle:

Agreed, Porky would be a great choice. Tho i wonder if by ''these are going to be characters that are new to the series'' Reggie means 'character that never appeared in a smash game'.

That could hurt Porky's chances since he was a Boss in Brawl iirc. I guess it's open to interpretation, same goes for 'characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate', it depends on what you're personally anticipating...
I mean, it wouldn't be so notable that his spirit was missing were it not for the very fact that he was a boss in Brawl. Every other boss has a spirit, and he's the only exception. It's very odd.

Honestly, I think we fans are looking too deeply into something without enough context when it comes to Reggie's words. But that's what we do best on this website!

I couldn't agree more, overthinking details and vague statements, that's smashboards bread and butter ;) I just wanted to point out the possibility.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
One thing I only just got to check again: I gave him voice 8, normal. There are twelve voice options, with a high, normal, and low variation of each, which means a lot of customizability for voices! None of them are perfect, none of them have the laugh, but I think voice 8, normal, is a decent approximation. I'll edit this into my other post too, so you can find it all in one place.

I'm curious to see what everyone else does with him! And if there's a better voice I just didn't find at the time.

The biggest downside of the Miis is that you can't use them in Classic. But they are in WoL at least!
If you have a Mii with a costume, do they walk around in that costume in World of Light after you can use them?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If you have a Mii with a costume, do they walk around in that costume in World of Light after you can use them?
I don't actually know, I haven't unlocked any of them in WoL yet. I just know they're there somewhere!

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure you got this notification. I just unlocked the Swordfighter, and yes, your Mii and their costume show up on the world map. Now I just gotta find the Brawler...:surprised:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure you got this notification. I just unlocked the Swordfighter, and yes, your Mii and their costume show up on the world map. Now I just gotta find the Brawler...:surprised:
Oh HECK yeah! Skull Kid (sort of) walking around World of Light is going to be sooo cool! Once I unlock him I'm probably going to use him for all the following battles. And if I encounter the Moon, Skull Kid, and Majora's Mask spirits after that I'm going to have a field day. XD

(Granted that won't be til Christmas but still)

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice

It just means that since all veterans were in Ultimate at launch, all of the added DLC characters will be completely new characters. I'm almost certain we're getting Edelgard or someone else from Three Houses around when it launches next year, and it seems like Sylux (no Spirit, while Trace and Kanden did get Spirits) might be likely to promote Prime 4. So there will still be reps from already represented series like Fire Emblem and Metroid. I do think we will get at least one more 3rd party, though, hopefully, Banjo and Geno.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It just means that since all veterans were in Ultimate at launch, all of the added DLC characters will be completely new characters. I'm almost certain we're getting Edelgard or someone else from Three Houses around when it launches next year, and it seems like Sylux (no Spirit, while Trace and Kanden did get Spirits) might be likely to promote Prime 4. So there will still be reps from already represented series like Fire Emblem and Metroid. I do think we will get at least one more 3rd party, though, hopefully, Banjo and Geno.
I'm not positive about FE, considering the reaction to Corrin and the general grousing about FE in these games, but it's a possibility? I find Porky's absence even more notable than Sylux's though. Banjo would be great, Lloyd would be great. I can't imagine Joker and an SE character will be the only third-parties we get, considering we got three last time.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I just finished the Skull Kid costume this morning and started using him online. Would you believe the first character I ran into was Young Link?! Wish I could upload the match since I saved it, but Nintendo... You know, lol.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I just finished the Skull Kid costume this morning and started using him online. Would you believe the first character I ran into was Young Link?! Wish I could upload the match since I saved it, but Nintendo... You know, lol.
What moves and voice did you give him? We should start a list or come up with an official moveset for the Mii costume in the first post or something. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
What moves and voice did you give him? We should start a list or come up with an official moveset for the Mii costume in the first post or something. :laugh:
I actually used almost the same setup as you did; same voice and everything.

What struck me about that particular voice when I was sifting through them yesterday was how it tends to stutter a bit when he exerts himself almost like it's cackling. His "launched to the stars" voice is also pretty cool, since it's a long, drawn-out scream kind of like when he screams at the moon in MM. I imagine Skull Kid doing something similar. It is also incredibly high-pitched to a point where it's unnatural and a bit disturbing, which also really suits him. Literally the only difference between mine and yours is the Side Special, but after trying the Flaming Kick, I actually think I prefer that as well.

Also, that sounds like a great idea :)

Last edited:
Another drop of Reggie talking on the topic of DLC following Joker's reveal:
Nintendo of America COO Reggie Fils-Aime says this reveal should prime fans for the type of characters to expect from the rest of the DLC.

“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

“I hope the fans are excited by the announcement of Joker. I hope they're looking forward to the future announcements," he added. "I hope it gives them confidence to just go buy the Fighter Pass. That way they can get the latest fighter as soon as it's available and continue building out their roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”
Source: interview with IGN

Again, it's still pretty vague and open to interpretation but i thought i'd share it anyway.

Great idea, tbh i had little to no interest for using the Mii costume until i read your ideas. Now i really want to use it. As a bonus, if it gets more people to play with it online it's one way to show the world our love for the Imp. Unless people are opposed to the idea, we should definitely do it.

Tagging the thread mastermind, NintenRob NintenRob for his thoughts on this initiative.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
What struck me about that particular voice when I was sifting through them yesterday was how it tends to stutter a bit when he exerts himself almost like it's cackling. His "launched to the stars" voice is also pretty cool, since it's a long, drawn-out scream kind of like when he screams at the moon in MM. I imagine Skull Kid doing something similar. It is also incredibly high-pitched to a point where it's unnatural and a bit disturbing, which also really suits him. Literally the only difference between mine and yours is the Side Special, but after trying the Flaming Kick, I actually think I prefer that as well.
The Final Smash scream with that voice is pretty damn good too!

Did you use Onslaught originally? I was a little torn between that and the one I went with. I like the flames because they remind me of the moon as it's crushing the Clock Tower.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I love that idea!

Also I have a headcanon now regarding Skull Kid's moveset in this case: normal Skull Kid, where he'd have magic and all, is him with the dark powers of Majora at his disposal. This Skull Kid moveset is him after the events of MM, just keeping the Mask after it's lost its dark magic.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
still havent unlocked the costume yet! It has not popped up for me in the store.
Keep plugging away at it! The store updates more quickly than you might think if you're buying stuff from it. Plus I think some things are cheaper on Sundays!

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
Is there a time on the store? I usually do classic and then check again. I've got the suit so now I just need the mask.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Is there a time on the store? I usually do classic and then check again. I've got the suit so now I just need the mask.
That's exactly what I was doing when I was looking for them. The ten minutes or whatever it takes is definitely long enough to reset it, at least as long as you buy stuff to clear up the slots.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who are playing as Skull Kid now online or offline, have you battled some friends with him? Is he fun to play as? Does he look cool in WoL?

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone’s posted this or something equivalent, but for those of us still saving up for a Switch, I found a rather good quality video with about ten minutes of Skull Kid in action.

The more I watch, the more I’m pleased with this. While it goes without saying I’d prefer him to be a full character, this is an impressive model and really makes it look like you’re playing Skull Kid. I’m also excited for modding potential, which is a first for me, especially since we got a whole new slate of Skull Kid sound material since last game with Hyrule Warriors. Ideally it would be cool if Skull Kid could bodyswap with Rosalina (and Tael with Luma); owing to her general floatiness and magic-based combat style, she seems the best fit to me. Those two are shaped pretty differently though, so someone like Ness might be a slightly better fit. Full disclosure: I know nothing about modding. What do you all think?

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone’s posted this or something equivalent, but for those of us still saving up for a Switch, I found a rather good quality video with about ten minutes of Skull Kid in action.

The more I watch, the more I’m pleased with this. While it goes without saying I’d prefer him to be a full character, this is an impressive model and really makes it look like you’re playing Skull Kid. I’m also excited for modding potential, which is a first for me, especially since we got a whole new slate of Skull Kid sound material since last game with Hyrule Warriors. Ideally it would be cool if Skull Kid could bodyswap with Rosalina (and Tael with Luma); owing to her general floatiness and magic-based combat style, she seems the best fit to me. Those two are shaped pretty differently though, so someone like Ness might be a slightly better fit. Full disclosure: I know nothing about modding. What do you all think?
Not to mention Skull Kid in that looks amazing even without our moveset being demonstrated—as far as I've gathered I think only Exploding Side Kick might have been showcased? (I'm not familiar with the appearance of Mii Brawlers attacks), and I'm not sure what voice was used either. It will probably seem even more like Skull Kid once the moveset with Shotput and the like is implemented.

I don't really know much about modding either, but maybe some people who are really skilled with it could alter Mii Brawler's moveset to be more magic-based? Or something similar to what was done for the Skull Kid Mod for Wii U.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I must admit, it is pretty great to play as Skull Kid Mii, and they do keep the costume in World of Light (unfortunately Brawler will generally be the last Mii unlocked)

I use

Shotput
Helicopter kick
Burning dropkick
And the head slam down move

Haven't given him a voice yet

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
In terms of mods, I think the best we can hope for, at least early on, is voice imports for the Miis to replace one of the voice options. That way he at least sounds correct while we're using him! Moveset hacking is probably going to take a while and adding truly new characters may never be possible. It took years for Brawl and I don't think it ever happened for Smash 4. That being said, the costume really does look great and if we all settle on voice and moves, we can present a unified Skull Kid front!

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
In terms of mods, I think the best we can hope for, at least early on, is voice imports for the Miis to replace one of the voice options. That way he at least sounds correct while we're using him! Moveset hacking is probably going to take a while and adding truly new characters may never be possible. It took years for Brawl and I don't think it ever happened for Smash 4. That being said, the costume really does look great and if we all settle on voice and moves, we can present a unified Skull Kid front!
I love the idea of potentially modding Mii Brawler's voice to sound more like Skull Kid! Not sure how mod installation even works but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out! And at least for right now we have the costume and some moves that are kind of Skull Kid-ish.

Either way I know I'll be having a ton of fun with Skull Kid. :)

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I love the idea of potentially modding Mii Brawler's voice to sound more like Skull Kid! Not sure how mod installation even works but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out! And at least for right now we have the costume and some moves that are kind of Skull Kid-ish.

Either way I know I'll be having a ton of fun with Skull Kid. :)
I'm not gonna get into it due to its questionable legality, but you'll need a way to install what's called a custom firmware on the console. You can go searching for how to install Switch mods on your own; I don't know if I'm even allowed to talk about it here. :roll:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna get into it due to its questionable legality, but you'll need a way to install what's called a custom firmware on the console. You can go searching for how to install Switch mods on your own; I don't know if I'm even allowed to talk about it here. :roll:

Oh, ha ha. Well I can't even concern myself with it until I get a Switch anyway and people mod Smash, lol.

I'll be content with base Smash for the time being, lol.

Top Bottom