• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Masqueraders!

Masquerade Ballers!

Also I'm mad my Stalfolks suggestion wasn't put in the poll. It's kind of funny I think.
Ehh, didn't think the stal were relevant enough to Skull Kid. I know it's mentioned that people who get lost in the forest turn into Stalfos but aside from that small side comment, the two don't really have much in common.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ehh, didn't think the stal were relevant enough to Skull Kid. I know it's mentioned that people who get lost in the forest turn into Stalfos but aside from that small side comment, the two don't really have much in common.
In the Japanese, they are called Stal Kids (well, Sutaru Kiddo).

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
If I had to pick one Zelda newcomer, Skull Kid would definitely be my first choice. I love Majora's Mask! (though ideally we would get more than one)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Guess what I picked up today!!

I'd share a picture but apparently the size is too big >_>

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to share this
Wanted to get others opinions on it.

Also really enjoying Hyrule Warriors, it's great playing Skull Kid in HD, which I didn't really do much of before since there wasn't much to do in the Wii U version for Legends characters.

Can't wait until E3, here's hoping we get some glimmer of hope there. I really hope we get a Zelda newcomer and I really hope it's Skull Kid.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I support this, with my life. Tbh i kinda gave up on him already but having played HW recently he’s all i think about when it comes to smash and he definitely deserves a spot. Imagining his Final Smash gives me goosebumpbs!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, this isn't my own idea, i heard this on Youtube xD But what if for Skull Kid's final smash, He would crash down the moon, and it starts messing up with gravity, characters get all floaty, and anyone who touches the moon takes damage, and then, the guardian things (I always forget their name) appear and push the moon back up then the Final Smash ends.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Smash is almost upon us and Majora's Mask is once more proving how iconic it is. So many people are using "24 hours remain" to hype the build up to E3

So it seems so far we able to get through E3 mostly unscathed. Few things to take note of.

1. Midna has been deconfirmed and was one of our biggest competitions from the Zelda series. Ganon may as well be deconfirmed too with Ganondorfs Final Smash now being the bipedal beast. This leaves Impa, Tingle and the Champions

2. Great Bay is double edged sword. It looks amazing and Skull Kid would now have a stage to strongly associate with. However the moon being present here could affect Skull Kids chances, it was the obvious choice for his Final Smash. Although I see no reason why it couldn't be both. Tingle also doesn't seem to be present. Is this because he's still an assist trophy? We just haven't seen him yet or something much worst?

3. Young Link also acts as a bit a double edged sword. On one hand, He's strongly associated with Majora's Mask and perhaps making Skull Kid less appealing of an addition. But if he was still an assist trophy, why not show him off? It would be perfect to pose him alongside Young Link. Maybe they're saving him for a big reveal? Maybe they're removed the assist trophy entirely? Maybe they just don't care?

4. Don't expect many newcomers. This makes room tight. Skull Kid is not exactly someone you'd think of as high priority.

On another note, we seem to be getting a Termina Field remix. Although I could be wrong. Sorry for double post

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think that we might be getting a new Zelda rep, doubt Sakurai is super psyched to have half the Zelda cast be Link. With both Skull Kid and Tingle so far absent we'll just have to wait and see for more disconfirmations.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Yep, so far no Skull Kid in sight anywhere on the official site. HNRRRRRGH

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Add me to that supporters list. Majora’s Mask is my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games in general, and Skull Kid is my favorite Zelda villain and one of my favorite villains in general.

Don’t tease me with this lack of assist Sakurai.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, I will be shocked if Skull Kid does not get in. Skull Kid is one of the most requested characters of all time, even trumping the VGTribune poll that was sent to Sakurai during Smash 4 Project Planning. If demand is going to make exceptions to flaws, like how demand made Sakurai get over the fact that modifying his size would be a major issue, I am sure he will find an exception for Skull Kid's lack of major appearances, with immense demand and move-set potential making up for the problem. I will not believe Sakurai's dreamy Ultimate roster until I see both him and Geno in.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Honestly, I will be shocked if Skull Kid does not get in. Skull Kid is one of the most requested characters of all time, even trumping the VGTribune poll that was sent to Sakurai during Smash 4 Project Planning. If demand is going to make exceptions to flaws, like how demand made Sakurai get over the fact that modifying his size would be a major issue, I am sure he will find an exception for Skull Kid's lack of major appearances, with immense demand and move-set potential making up for the problem. I will not believe Sakurai's dreamy Ultimate roster until I see both him and Geno in.
It's great to have your support! But did you really have to compare my most wanted to one of my least wanted? :p

Despite his only true major role being Majora's Mask. He is actually quite relevant this time around thanks to Majora's Mask remake and good promotion in Hyrule Warriors Legends. He and the mask have constantly been referenced.

Unlike Geno. Who since his debut has only ever been referenced twice. And isn't iconic. And not even main series. Or even owned by Nintendo

I'm sorry, I just get riled up about Geno. He just makes no sense to me. At all. The only thing he has going for him, is something many characters have going for them and so much more. And I mean a lot more......

I'll just stop.

Still, good to see Skull Kid perform so well in that old poll. And over a hundred thousand votes it's a surprisingly large sample size.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
There is a new theme with Smash Ultimate where the impossible is now possible. At this point I'm convinced that Sakurai wants to push everybody's hype buttons regardless of previously relevant barriers for certain characters. Geno would certainly do that. But we're also not supposed to be expecting too many newcomers. So it really is coming down to the wire here.

One thing I'm concerned about is the fact that the Zelda series has already received tons of tender loving care in its alterations to the characters. It might be possible that this is to compensate for the disappointment of no new Zelda characters. I'm not real confident in Skull Kid appearing to be completely honest, but the fact his AT is missing is just such a cruel tease.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I am not a supporter of Skull Kid, but I thought of something.

The Ramblin' Evil Mushroom from EarthBound is confirmed in some capacity. If it's an assist trophy, I would assume it would do what it does in EarthBound - reverse the players' controls, which is something Skull Kid could do in Smash 4. Maybe they modified the assist trophy, or maybe we could see Skull Kid show up.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

If there is one single Nintendo title I never stop seeing constant references of, it would be The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. I have seen Majora’s Mask through countdown gifs on the internet, references in cartoons, endless merchandise, fan-videos, and a number of other things that makes the game a seriously common presence in video game pop culture. Majora’s Mask is considered a classic by a large number of hardcore Zelda fans for its dark story, tone, and memorable characters. The game was so popular, a large number of fans created a campaign called Operation Moonfall to get a Majora’s Mask remake on the Nintendo 3DS after the release of Ocarina of Time 3D.

The game’s massive popularity explains why Skull Kid has been the most requested Zelda newcomer for a long period of time since Brawl. He was so popular at the time of Brawl that a number of mods and Smash fan renders were made for the character. At the time of Smash 4, he was the most voted newcomer in a VGTribune poll sent to Sakurai during the game’s project proposal. With Skull Kid maintaining his status as one of the most requested Smash newcomers of all time, it may finally be his time to get in as a playable character, with ballot popularity likely being a big factor for many inclusions in Smash Ultimate this time around.

Although Skull Kid does not have many statements said by Sakurai that could point towards his inclusion, he does have a similar obstacle and many pros that parallel to Geno in some ways. One major positive aside from his popularity that he has is moveset potential. I personally feel Skull Kid's mischievous character being able to utilize his mask and ocarina for unleashing bizarre dark powers makes him unlike any other character currently in Smash Bros, which could make him an extremely enticing character to implement for Sakurai this time around. Even as non-Zelda fan that only played a bit of Majora's Mask on the Wii Virtual Console, I could easily see his distinct characteristics and the moveset potential he provides as a fighter.

The only question that remains is if Sakurai would see the long-time high popularity being sufficing enough to seriously consider Skull Kid for playability. I do think Sakurai could change his mind on him this time around. I feel fan demand will help Sakurai view many newcomers from a different, open perspective and make exceptions for negatives like Geno’s one-time status, Ridley’s possibly difficult implementation in Smash, and K. Rool’s lack of a major role in recent Donkey Kong Country games. Skull Kid’s demand can easily have Sakurai forgive his negative having only one major role in one Zelda title. This is quite possibly the best time Skull Kid can get in Smash if ballot popularity will be a major factor for a notable portion of the newcomer pool. I will be pretty shocked if he does not get in.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Am I the only one who wants Skull Kid to not use Majora's Mask, except for a Final Smash? I want him to use his puppets, needles, flute/horn, disappearing, and lantern. The mask would still make for a good costume though. I also want a costume with the skull mask he buys from Link.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Am I the only one who wants Skull Kid to not use Majora's Mask, except for a Final Smash? I want him to use his puppets, needles, flute/horn, disappearing, and lantern. The mask would still make for a good costume though. I also want a costume with the skull mask he buys from Link.
The mask is kinda what makes him iconic in the first place and would just make a more interesting to work with as Magic gives you a lot of freedom for his moveset.

I also think it just makes him a more interesting character to begin with, we don't really know when exactly the Mask took full control. It did seem to act on Skull Kids own desire for a lot of it, playing into his trickster side.

I will say though, I don't want his face covered the entire time like it is in Hyrule Warriors. I'd like an idle or taunt where he lifts it up to look around and a victory animation where he's holding it in his hands.

Edit: BTW, nice write-up BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I definitely support Skull Kid. Majora's Mask on the 3DS was amazing, and I loved his character. At this point, Zelda is in dire need of a newcomer. It's representation consists of three Links, Zelda and Sheik (who are the same entity), and Falcondorf. It's cool that they're all designed off of different eras of the franchise, but it's still not enough in my opinion. When you really think about it, we haven't had a proper Zelda newcomer since Brawl - and even then, Toon Link was very similar to Young Link. With Midna and Ghirahim disconfirmed, and the Breath of the Wild champions not seeming as popular, I'm rooting for Skull Kid.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Skull Kid needs the mask. I feel like this is self explanatory. It doesn't have to centralize his moveset. But it certainly gives it flavor. I want to show what I mean here. May clean this up later.

Neutral B:
"Forest Curse"
The power of Majora's Mask is capable of cursing opponents. This can be conveyed in Smash as a dark magic projectile that, rather than inflicting damage, causes vines/roots to seize the enemy and plant them to the ground. This is very similar to the burrowed status effect. If the projectile hits an airborn opponent, they will be swept upward by a swirling whirlwind of leaves.

Side B:
"Eyeball Spinner"
Majora's Wrath will throw razor tops at Link that have singular eyes decorated on top of them. In Skull Kid's moveset, by holding side and B he can hop aboard one of these and ride it like the Spinner from TP. By releasing B, Skull Kid can disembark the top and let it behave on its own (like a red shell) until it eventually slows down and disappears.

Down B:
"Puppet Summon"
Skull Kid summons puppet enemies in the Sacred Grove of TP. Because these are fragile opponents, range and aggressiveness should compensate. They can be knocked out in a single hit but require little to no charge time in comparison to, say, Zelda's phantom.

Up B:
"Shrieking Insanity"
This is not a recovery. Skull Kid will hover in the air and charge up a ball of darkness, all while in his iconic hovering stance and laughing maniacally. Imagine his mask shaking and the purple/orange electric effects accompanying this. Releasing B will throw the projectile at a diagonal/downward trajectory. Impact will scatter the projectile into a dozen smaller ones that fly out in unorthodox patterns and deal minor damage. This B move may not be a recovery, but it does allow him to hover in the air with only a gradual effect of gravity.

Grab:
"Tentacle Tether"
Skull Kid's grab is the longest tether grab in the game, however slow. This is due to his lack of recovery, meaning that he will be tethering back to the stage for the majority of the game.

Forward Smash:
"Beam Attack"
Majora's Mask will charge up a bright orange laser beam and fire it at the ground (think Snake's forward smash).

Down Smash:
"Lost Woods' Protection"
A small cyclone of leaves will whirlwind at Skull Kid's feet, dealing rapid damage. This has a suction effect.

Up Smash:
"Roundhouse Imp Kick"
Skull Kid unleashes an intense break-dancing kick that also partially utilizes his self-levitation to rise up and launch opponents skyward

Neutral Air:
"Spinning Whips"
Skull Kid wields dual tentacle whips that protrude from both wrists. He spins his whole body while doing so, whipping nearby targets with rapid damage.

Forward Air:
"Dark Palm Burst"
Skull Kid sticks both his palms out and causes a contentrated burst of dark magic to appear in his hands, propelling him backwards. Small hitbox but powerful damage.

Back Air:
"Flute Blade"
Skull Kid draws a needle from his flute and stabs it into the air behind him. This is a killing move at high percentage.

Up Air:
"Leaf Gust"
Skull Kid swipes his arms above his body and causes a flurry of leaves to dice opponents that are directly above him. This is not a kill move, but will inflict damage and enough knockback to juggle.

Down Air:
"Dark Slam"
Skull Kid blasts opponents beneath him with a powerful dark magic concussive attack that also slightly propels him upward. This is a laggy move with oppurtunity to punish, but is one of the more devastating meteor spikes.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tingle has been deconfirmed, he's been spotted returning on Great Bay.

That leaves just Impa and possibly a champion as Zelda competition!

Of course that's assuming we even get a Zelda newcomer

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
The Zelda series hasn't seen a completely original newcomer since Melee, which is kind of crazy considering it's one of Nintendo's top franchises. Skull Kid is my top choice for another Zelda character so I'll lend my support.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If we're going by fan demand, I think Skull Kid has had the most - as well as the most consistent - support for Zelda newcomers this whole time. Midna would be Second and Impa third but I definitely think Skull Kid's got more. And with Midna being an AT again but Skull Kid nowhere to be found, things look conspicuously plausible for his inclusion this time.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Things really seem to be falling into place for Majora’s personal puppet.

The E3 presentation gives off the vibe that this game is made for Smash fans and will be really given them what they want (with Ridley, and every single veteran, with Sakurai even saying the latter was done specifically because it’s what the fans want).

And yesterday we get the bomb that the game’s project proposal (implying its roster) was completed December 2015, when the ballot was freshly done. It’s not even like it was 2016 and they had to go back to look at the ballot results. They got the ballot results, and almost immediately created the roster for Smash Ultimate.

I really think this Smash game’s roster will be almost entirely (if not entirely) fan favorites. Sakurai wants to make this the ultimate Smash game for Smash fans, and what better way to do that than by including all of their favorite characters?

And Skull Kid is almost definitely the most requested Zelda character for Smash, and has been pretty consistently since Brawl times.
And his assist trophy is suspiciously missing as of now, which helps his case.

I wasn’t expecting any of the “Dream” characters in my signature, but I’ll be thrilled to have two of them.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hmmm. While I agree things are lining up for Skull Kid, I disagree he did well on the ballot. I think a lot of people only really thought about that current game when voting and since Skull Kid was already an assist trophy, I have my doubts people voted for him even if they did want him.

But I think they likely would have understood assist trophies would have gotten less votes so I don't really consider it a negative. I hope one day they release the full results though but until then we can only speculate.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm. While I agree things are lining up for Skull Kid, I disagree he did well on the ballot. I think a lot of people only really thought about that current game when voting and since Skull Kid was already an assist trophy, I have my doubts people voted for him even if they did want him.

But I think they likely would have understood assist trophies would have gotten less votes so I don't really consider it a negative. I hope one day they release the full results though but until then we can only speculate.
I think you are exactly right. There is no doubt in my mind that Skull kid did horrible in the ballot. It is very obviously shown in our prediction ballots across the web where all Zelda characters are essentially missing. I think like bluepikmin said where things like operation moonfall will show sakurai that he has support still. Also I think sakurai is using a multiple source ballot/ his previous ballots in conjunction with the latest one. Because there is no way Ridley and Simon Belmont did well either on the Smash 4 ballot but I know they had destroyed previous ballots.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’d love it if Skull Kid made it in. Zelda needs some reps that aren’t variations of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Skull Kid newcomer and Impa as Sheik echo would be the dream (since both as newcomers seems unlikely).

As long as Skull Kid brings down the moon for his final smash

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tingle has been deconfirmed, he's been spotted returning on Great Bay.

That leaves just Impa and possibly a champion as Zelda competition!

Of course that's assuming we even get a Zelda newcomer
Why even see Impa as competition? Impa could be a Echo to Sheik easily, or a semi-clone. And with the neglect of having a Zelda newcomer in Smash 4, both Impa and Skull Kid could make it as unique additions. Which is my personal wish.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I did want Tingle more, but since he's seemingly disconfirmed again, I'm all in on Skull Kid. He's definitely a recognizable and memorable character and Majora's Mask and the Moon have become some of the Zelda series most iconic images. I'm sure like a lot of gamers who were little during the N64 era, Skull Kid has kind of seared himself into my memory as a sort of primal childhood boogieman, which is rad as hell.

My only gripe is that while it's fairly easy to envision how Tingle could work as distinct fighter, being a glass cannon aerial bomber, sort of a Jigglypuff with more range and mixups, it's hard to identify what Skull Kid's x factor is that would make his playstyle stand out from the rest of the cast. What do you guys think? What is Skull Kid's unique gimmick? Would he summon puppets? Would he use fairies for disjointed hit boxes like in HW? Would we get some weird Majora tentacle action in there? I guess those are all ideas right there but is there a particular concept of the character that stands out? How was he gonna play in Project M?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I did want Tingle more, but since he's seemingly disconfirmed again, I'm all in on Skull Kid. He's definitely a recognizable and memorable character and Majora's Mask and the Moon have become some of the Zelda series most iconic images. I'm sure like a lot of gamers who were little during the N64 era, Skull Kid has kind of seared himself into my memory as a sort of primal childhood boogieman, which is rad as hell.

My only gripe is that while it's fairly easy to envision how Tingle could work as distinct fighter, being a glass cannon aerial bomber, sort of a Jigglypuff with more range and mixups, it's hard to identify what Skull Kid's x factor is that would make his playstyle stand out from the rest of the cast. What do you guys think? What is Skull Kid's unique gimmick? Would he summon puppets? Would he use fairies for disjointed hit boxes like in HW? Would we get some weird Majora tentacle action in there? I guess those are all ideas right there but is there a particular concept of the character that stands out? How was he gonna play in Project M?
Well I always figured he'd be a sort of trickster character, being able to inflict various status ailments. Such as flower, lower attacks, increase their knockback, lower speed. In extreme circumstances maybe even shrink the opponent.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The fact we haven’t seen his Assist Trophy yet is a early good sign. It would be such a pleasant surprise to see Zelda finally get a brand new rep. It’s been 10 years since they added a new rep! That’s criminal dude! Skull Kid would be my main if he’s added to the roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well I always figured he'd be a sort of trickster character, being able to inflict various status ailments. Such as flower, lower attacks, increase their knockback, lower speed. In extreme circumstances maybe even shrink the opponent.
Final Smash should crash the moon honestly.

I also think he should play like a trickster, and the flowery effects would fit very well. But I like a lot of the ideas that leprechaunlink727 leprechaunlink727 thew out as well. If he wears Majora's Mask, there's a lot he could do with a little creative liberty. Majora's tentacles for example would fit well for Specials, grabs, or Smash attacks. How about that laser beam he shoots in Hyrule Warriors? Generally speaking, HW did a great way to portait the character and how he would fight. Summoning puppets would also work real well. Maybe his wind flute as a projectile?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I also think he should play like a trickster, and the flowery effects would fit very well. But I like a lot of the ideas that leprechaunlink727 leprechaunlink727 thew out as well. If he wears Majora's Mask, there's a lot he could do with a little creative liberty. Majora's tentacles for example would fit well for Specials, grabs, or Smash attacks. How about that laser beam he shoots in Hyrule Warriors? Generally speaking, HW did a great way to portait the character and how he would fight. Summoning puppets would also work real well. Maybe his wind flute as a projectile?
Moon Final Smash is very natural, it wouldn't even clash with Great Bay stage since the Blue Falcon is often seen on F-Zero stages. It also fits well with the new quick and to the point the new Final Smashes are.

And after Hyrule Warriors, I would really like to see how the Puppets translated to Smash. Especially if they functioned similarly.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

I think a status ailment fighter makes a certain amount of sense but the idea that excites me the most is a moveset based around the fact that Skull Kid is just a puppet himself being "worn" by something much more powerful and unknowable. I think that could be really creepy and fitting if his moveset revolved in large part around Majora's Wrath kind of bursting out of him. Corrin and Bayonetta both have a little bit of this with some of their moves but I think Skull Kid could dial it to 11. Now that Ridley is in, I'm all for more "horror" characters. If he's the slasher monster xenomorph character, Skull Kid could be the creepy kid possessed by an eldritch abomination character.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I plan on buying Majora's Mask 3D sometime this week. I wanted to get back to that game ever since quitting at the Deku temple and making my Skull Kid analysis. The pressure to beat the game in 3 days strongly tempted me to quit back then.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I plan on buying Majora's Mask 3D sometime this week. I wanted to get back to that game ever since quitting at the Deku temple and making my Skull Kid analysis. The pressure to beat the game in 3 days strongly tempted me to quit back then.
You know you don't have to be the game in three days right? You can play the song of time to your heart's content.

You can even slow down time

Top Bottom