• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Err, I just tried using voice 8 in action and I can't stand it and it completely takes me out of it. I think I'd rather high pitch voice 7 (or regular pitch maybe) or just leave him mute.

I wish we could insert our own voices.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You and I just disagree on just about everything, huh? :laugh: I can't stand voice 7 either. It just sounds wrong to me. None of them are perfect, but 8 sounds better to me at least. But hey, no big deal.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I listened to a couple of them on a video. I think the ones I like best are voice 8 normal, voice 7 high, and maybe Type 2 but I'll need to listen again to those and the other ones, plus I feel I'd need to hear it more in action in battle rather than just one shot like the preview shows. It'll be interesting experimenting with the different voices!

On another (but still Skull Kid related note) dang I wish I knew how to use Source Filmmaker ir Blender (heck, just 3D animating in general, I don't draw or animate like ever). I found out there's a Skull Kid rig for it based on his appearance in Smash 4, and since I'm working on a Skull Kid song it would be cool to do a video with it, lol.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The issue I have with voice 8, is that it clearly intended for a women.

Now I know Skull Kid is voiced by a women, but the voice she gives him is a boy's voice, similar to Toon Link, so for me, hearing a voice clearly meant for a woman come out of Skull Kid was too off putting.

UserKev

Smash Champion
How strong is Skull Kid's supporters now? Did we die down or are we really growing stronger?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was just going with the one that actually sounded most like him to me. Voice 7 doesn't sound that much like him, and voice 8 sounded closer. It has sort of the quavery feeling that some of his actual voice clips have.

Once mods really take off, I'm sure people will have his actual voice imported pretty quickly though!

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
How strong is Skull Kid's supporters now? Did we die down or are we really growing stronger?
We're still here, and in my opinion a lot stronger than we were a year ago. There's just not much to talk about support-wise at the moment for anybody (regardless of who your most wanted is). People are playing Smash Ultimate now, though I think playing with the Skull Kid Mii costume online can at least show to some extent not only that we want Skull Kid as playable, but how he would fit into Smash and model-wise he already can work. I'm not sure how Ridley and K Rool supporters for instance showed support for their characters when a ballot wasn't going on, as this is my first Smash speculation cycle. But at the very least, K Rool, Isabelle, and Inkling were all 1st party characters who had Mii Costumes last game, and now are playable. Why not Skull Kid?

Not to mention assuming we don't get another Smash game for 8 years or so, I highly doubt DLC will stop in 2020. Could give a chance for some Assist Trophy upgrades—there's almost 30 open character slots as it stands, and it's been shown that some Assist Trophies can't appear under certain conditions (the Moon on Great Bay for one). It shouldn't be much trouble to patch it so the trophy for Skull Kid wouldn't appear if he were on the field.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The issue I have with voice 8, is that it clearly intended for a women.

Now I know Skull Kid is voiced by a women, but the voice she gives him is a boy's voice, similar to Toon Link, so for me, hearing a voice clearly meant for a woman come out of Skull Kid was too off putting.
Um... don't Skull Kid and Toon Link share the same voice actress?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think I used high-pitch Voice 2 for my Skull Kid mii.

He sounds more feminine, but it fits him, especially one of the sounds the mii makes; it sounds sorta like the noise he makes at the beginning of Majora's Mask when he's caught off-guard by Link at least, according to my memory.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how Ridley and K Rool supporters for instance showed support for their characters when a ballot wasn't going on, as this is my first Smash speculation cycle.
Well, K. Rool wouldn't be in without the ballot, but, he built up a userbase thanks to SmashBoards threads (he was easily one of the most popular characters for Smash 4 speculation, meaning his fans could hit the ballot hard when it came out), and the Kremling Kampaign on Twitter, which was a dedicated social media account focused on bringing back K. Rool, whether it was through DKC or Smash.

Ridley, like K. Rool, has had a large presence on SmashBoards, as well as being a common Smash subject due to, well... memes. During mid-late Brawl and all of Smash 4 discussion, you couldn't discuss Smash online and not bump into Ridley discussion. He was just that omnipresent, not just because he was popular, but because he was controversial. It was enough that Sakurai was aware of Ridley's popularity before even the ballot - he said that he knew Ridley was a "much anticipated name among fans." Nintendo Treehouse has also said that they browse forums and social media and sometimes send that feedback to Sakurai/Nintendo Of Japan. YouTube videos, social media posts, hell, even letters (Ridley fans sent a gigantic book) can all help.

I said this in the Dixie thread, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you really want to see Skull Kid in Smash, keep discussing him online - politely, of course - and keep him alive in Smash discussion. Don't let him fizzle out like other flavor of the months, but also don't become so overbearing that you might turn away supporters. It's a tricky line to walk, but if Skull Kid can maintain his momentum and popularity, perhaps one day he will make the jump.

Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you.

Good luck.

Signed,

A Kutthroat

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I unlocked the Skull Kid Mii costume and played a match with him. He looks great. I tried to setup a moveset that fits him, anyone have anything in mind? I know that having him as a brawler is lame as he would focus on magic but I still enjoyed having the costume.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I unlocked the Skull Kid Mii costume and played a match with him. He looks great. I tried to setup a moveset that fits him, anyone have anything in mind? I know that having him as a brawler is lame as he would focus on magic but I still enjoyed having the costume.
I was personally thinking Shotput, Soaring Axe Kick, Feint Jump, and Burning Drop Kick. But that's just going based of short clips I've seen of a couple of moves and not experiencing them for myself yet.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Heh, I have not gone online in this game and I probably won't much. :laugh: If I did, I would represent our boy though!

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm considering getting Nintendo Online primarily just to play as Skull Kid online.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I played a match as Skull Kid online

Although they remove the name online, it's just "Mii Brawler"

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Luckily for our purposes, the face doesn't matter! Though it would be pretty ****ty if they did make them default, because yeah, they're supposed to be custom.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Was surprised but pleased to find skull kid is a smash tag icon. Never changing that.

unless of course the possibility of skull kid becoming a fighter becomes reality. then i will most definitely take that hd skull kid render.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, have any of you ever cosplayed Skull Kid before?

I'm thinking of asking for a wearable replica of Majora's Mask as a late Christmas/birthday present, as there are a couple cons I want to go to in the coming year and it would be cool to be Skull Kid there (plus for Halloween as well).

I was thinking of asking for this one if I do. It seems to be the most accurate to me, it apparently has good visibility, and it can be worn by us glasses-wearers (I asked the creator on YouTube just to be sure).

The one downside is it's really expensive (though actually almost $100 less than the 2nd-most accurate one I saw), and I'm not 100% sure that I want to be Skull Kid though I think it would be really really cool, since I've never cosplayed at a con before and Skull Kid's design rules. Plus it would take 10-12 weeks to make and there's a con pretty close to me at the end of March.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wore a home made Majora's mask to a mates themed party once, but I can't afford anything elaborate

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I wore a home made Majora's mask to a mates themed party once, but I can't afford anything elaborate
I honestly don't have enough confidence to try to make one on my own. ^^; I have no know-how with either how to use a 3D printer or wood carving, so it would probably be cheaper for me to just get that Mask online. At least then I'd know it would be good quality. XD

I just looked it up, apparently it costs $50-150 to rent a 3D printer for a week (and that's not even factoring it what would be the cost of the materials, the paint, etc), and purchasing one is almost $500. The normal non-LED non-woodgrained Mask is $185. Definitely seems like it would be cheaper to get the Mask itself.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I honestly don't have enough confidence to try to make one on my own. ^^; I have no know-how with either how to use a 3D printer or wood carving, so it would probably be cheaper for me to just get that Mask online. At least then I'd know it would be good quality. XD

I just looked it up, apparently it costs $50-150 to rent a 3D printer for a week (and that's not even factoring it what would be the cost of the materials, the paint, etc), and purchasing one is almost $500. The normal non-LED non-woodgrained Mask is $185. Definitely seems like it would be cheaper to get the Mask itself.
You say that, but when I say home made, I mean a piece of paper glued onto some cardboard.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
You say that, but when I say home made, I mean a piece of paper glued onto some cardboard.
Ohh, good point. XD Yeah, that could probably be done. I mean, it may not look as professional, but hey, it would be something!

Last edited:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Have any of you tried to make your own spirit fighter using Skull Kid with Majora's Mask as support? The challange is nuts!

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Have any of you tried to make your own spirit fighter using Skull Kid with Majora's Mask as support? The challange is nuts!
I'm going to try that once I get the game, lol. Do you get both of them in WoL or on the Spirits board? What's the challange like?

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to try that once I get the game, lol. Do you get both of them in WoL or on the Spirits board? What's the challange like?
You can get unmasked Skull Kid in WoL and make him masked after level 99. Then he has lifesteal. The Mask you can buy from the WoL shops. Both combinded are stupid strong.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, have any of you ever cosplayed Skull Kid before?

I'm thinking of asking for a wearable replica of Majora's Mask as a late Christmas/birthday present, as there are a couple cons I want to go to in the coming year and it would be cool to be Skull Kid there (plus for Halloween as well).

I was thinking of asking for this one if I do. It seems to be the most accurate to me, it apparently has good visibility, and it can be worn by us glasses-wearers (I asked the creator on YouTube just to be sure).

The one downside is it's really expensive (though actually almost $100 less than the 2nd-most accurate one I saw), and I'm not 100% sure that I want to be Skull Kid though I think it would be really really cool, since I've never cosplayed at a con before and Skull Kid's design rules. Plus it would take 10-12 weeks to make and there's a con pretty close to me at the end of March.
Reminds me of these videos where this dude makes the most lifelike mask I've ever seen. Wish I was that gifted in woodworking. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZmLUHiASI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_rXaB8syw

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Cookie decorating with the family, and there was a heart cookie, so...
20181222_195902.jpg

Certainly not perfect, but I did what I could with frosting and paintbrushes. :laugh: Dunno why it's rotated, sorry about that.

P.S. A bonus Wind Fish as well!
20181222_195926.jpg

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Does anyone here sort of wish Skull Kid DID end up being a boss? I like (most) of the Boss Battles in Ultimate a lot!

Isabelle surpasses the power of Majora's Mask? Well... i'll be damned...
:p

Cookie decorating with the family, and there was a heart cookie, so...
View attachment 184000
Certainly not perfect, but I did what I could with frosting and paintbrushes. :laugh: Dunno why it's rotated, sorry about that.

P.S. A bonus Wind Fish as well!
View attachment 184001
A true work of art!

Does anyone here sort of wish Skull Kid DID end up being a boss? I like (most) of the Boss Battles in Ultimate a lot!
Like it was discussed a few times before in this thread, one of Majora's forms could have been a better fit for a bossfight imo but i guess they could have pulled off something cool for a Skull Kid bossfight, on the top of the Clocktower where time is the real enemy like idk you must beat Skull Kid in a limited amount of time or else the moon comes crashing into the stage and you end up losing (meanwhile he's just dodging, flying around and laughing at you).

But imagine if he was a boss, an AT, a Mii Costume and a Spirit in Ultimate... at this point, just make him playable for god's sake...

Last edited:
Top Bottom