• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Replying to trolling/flaming/spam is just as bad as the original issue.
Wanna play as Cappy too?
I have a million reason on why I don’t think this overrated puppet who cannot do **** with out his mask should be playable,

Crappy would be stupid

Majora's Mask at least has a ****ing boss fight to work from,

I gotta go change my tablet

Shadownade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadownade
Absolutely grasping at straws here - forgive me if someone brought this up.
Skull Kid was revealed as an Assist Trophy for Smash Wii U/3DS on the 6th of December; 2013 (correct me if I'm wrong there.)

Smash Ultimate's release is on the 7th of December; 2018 - five years and a day after such a reveal.
I know Sakurai has stated that all characters will be revealed before the game's release, but I'm thinking - who's to say we won't get a Direct on the Final Day before Ultimate's release? I can just imagine Sakurai wishing everyone a happy launch, but instead of K. Rool's booming steps - it's the bells of Clock Town that are ringing before it fades to black and he's revealed.

I don't know - it's just something I thought about.

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
I have a million reason on why I don’t think this overrated puppet who cannot do **** with out his mask should be playable,

Crappy would be stupid

Majora's Mask at least has a ****ing boss fight to work from,

I gotta go change my tablet
But without Skull Kid, the mask would just be an item. Why would you seperate them when they're iconic when together?

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Wanna play as Cappy too?
I'm with the other guy. Majora has things that make him cooler than being stuck to a helpless mook. He's got four mask boss buddies and crazy moon walking AND dominatrix whips. Skullkid's got a flute and an undersized moon. Still wanna stay on the supporter list though :p

SonicMario

Smash Master
Skull Kid was revealed as an Assist Trophy for Smash Wii U/3DS on the 6th of December; 2013 (correct me if I'm wrong there.)

Smash Ultimate's release is on the 7th of December; 2018 - five years and a day after such a reveal.
I know Sakurai has stated that all characters will be revealed before the game's release, but I'm thinking - who's to say we won't get a Direct on the Final Day before Ultimate's release? I can just imagine Sakurai wishing everyone a happy launch, but instead of K. Rool's booming steps - it's the bells of Clock Town that are ringing before it fades to black and he's revealed.

We'll know the full roster before then most likely. Unless Skull Kid is the first DLC character or something. The roster would be leaked by then anyway if he was in the base game because there would be SOMEONE who breaks street date and shows the full roster.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Having a reveal with the ‘Dawn of the Final Day’ deal going on would be very cool.

Smash Apprentice
They won't reveal a character the day before launch. Review copies will be out by then.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Add me to the support list.

Also one of Skull Kids taunts has to be him playing a note on the ocarina then laughing.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

This would be so awesome! I completely imagine Nintendo's social media going into the "Dawn of the ___ day" meme for the release of Ultimate, only to the final day, they drop Skull Kid's trailer
I won't think it'll happen since they know the closer to release, the more likely leaks are

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
The next direct should reveal if the backgrounds were or were not hints. But if they were, I'm pretty sure Sakurai would stop doing it cause it would be to obvious to continue.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if this helps, but I just found out that Majora's Mask for the 3ds was released in 2015, which was when the Project plan for this game was being proposed.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Add me to the support list.

Also one of Skull Kids taunts has to be him playing a note on the ocarina then laughing.
That would be cool and very fitting! One of his other taunts could also be his butt slap :p
https://giphy.com/gifs/game-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-yETcfOWMlhdHq
Both of these are perfect. Another one could be that head shaking thing he does when transforming Link into Deku form. Or the moon-calling screech. Raising up Majora's Mask and looking around...

There are just a ton of them. He's so expressive and creepy, it's hard to find something that wouldn't work.:grin:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
OK, so I think LOZ might really be sticking to his Skull Kid claim. He made a twitter account, and he has Young Link as his profile pic and his background is a picture of Ganondorf looking at the moon.

Speaking of that picture, I've seen a few pictures like that and I have no idea where they came from, anyone got a source for all these pictures?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OK, so I think LOZ might really be sticking to his Skull Kid claim. He made a twitter account, and he has Young Link as his profile pic and his background is a picture of Ganondorf looking at the moon.

Speaking of that picture, I've seen a few pictures like that and I have no idea where they came from, anyone got a source for all these pictures?
He said recently he knows Skull Kid in the game but he isn't sure he's playable.

He said it's ~80% sure he's playable though

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So I've seen the possibility that Skull Kid could be a boss, and I would like to say, I think this is impossible or at least extremely unlikely, bosses are always really big and skull kid is really small in comparison and it would jsut be really weird for sakurai to do a flip, both of the new bosses so far have been big, and if zelda were to get a boss, i'd put my money on Pig Ganon from LTTP.

I am also very confused about what loz18 said, arent we all sure that he is 100 percent in the game due to the fact that if he's not playable he's almost guaranteed to return as a assist, why cut a smash 4 assist unless they're playable?, I'm really curious as to what his sources said about Skull Kid or if this is just his fan theory, because the way he is going about it, makes it feel ambiguous.

StormC

Smash Hero
I am also very confused about what loz18 said, arent we all sure that he is 100 percent in the game due to the fact that if he's not playable he's almost guaranteed to return as a assist, why cut a smash 4 assist unless they're playable?, I'm really curious as to what his sources said about Skull Kid or if this is just his fan theory, because the way he is going about it, makes it feel ambiguous.
Isaac was cut from Brawl as an AT. Doesn't mean he's playable.

I will say what gives me pause is the fact that Skull Kid got added to Hyrule Warriors at the perfect time for the design document, when he would be shown off with a fully unique fighting moveset. Perhaps it would give Sakurai the inspiration to add him to Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know it sounds crazy, but with the fact the furniture in the first direct seemed to have a Donkey Kong theme... I think the furniture in this is REALLY hinting toward Skull Kid playable. If the furniture in the first direct didn't clearly have DK theme I would have just called the furniture in the second bad design. It draws your eyes right toward it with it's bright colors.

I think he's coming next. I think we're actually getting Skull Kid.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well I've made my opinion on Furniture clear, why focus on that when we have so much more.

Moon assist trophy taking the role of the MM assist trophy.
Prominence of Great Bay in promotion.
Young Links Final Smash still a mystery for a tie in

Even the leak is more credible than furniture.

It just sounds like the same sort of thing from last time that lead to a lot of disappointments. Anyone remember the Trophy Theory?

Heck, I think people even looked at furniture for evidence as well!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The next direct should reveal if the backgrounds were or were not hints. But if they were, I'm pretty sure Sakurai would stop doing it cause it would be to obvious to continue.
The background of the next direct could be a featureless white room, and people would still find a way to twist it into speculating about Smash. ("the room's entirely white? So are the Chorus Kids! They're hinting at a playable Rhythm Heaven character for Smash!")

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Update...I am starting to come around on the idea of Skull Kid. I was trying to understand what it was about his inclusion that bothered me so much.
I did not want a Zelda newcomer that made the overall series representation worse- meaning, did not diversify Hyrule more (other than Impa, a clear and necessary Echo that I 100 percent am expecting).

In part, that is why adding all four champions would be so wonderful- because those four species are four key missing aspects of the world missing, the variation in creature, in ability, in visual! Yet, that was never going to happen.

So... what about Skull Kid Bothered me? In part, it was only associating him with a single game. Which was my mistake. I had forgotten the others. They were not as notable as my most wanted newcomer (below), but it is viable.

I can say, the biggest thing that I did not realize was mentally blocking me, was that I really wanted Vaati. Yet, while I love Vaati more, theres no way he would get in over Skull Kid at this point.
I always thought Vaati was the missing piece of the Zelda representation.

That all said, Skull Kid is a part of the pieces of Hyrule. And I may be completely conflating my Zelda timeline, but if I recall, isnt there a connection between Midna, Majora's Mask, and Vaati? Or at least two of those three. Something I dont recall. Maybe it was never confirmed back in theory talk.
Either way. That is a strong energy that in general needs a presence.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
There's no confirmed connection between Majora's Mask and Midna, but people speculate because the Fused Shadows in some ways resemble the mask. As for Vaati, I have no idea where that idea came from, aside from the small detail that they reused the Happy Mask Salesman's laugh for Vaati's laugh.

Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and Four Swords Adventures are all part of the same timeline though, and Vaati's previous two games are before the timeline split.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Guys, even the Gorillaz started hinting towards Skull Kid in Smash!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I find it interesting the discussion about Majora's Mask and the Skull Kid.

I love the design for Majora's Mask, but the design of Skull Kid (outside of the mask) is something I also really love! I think the Skull Kid alone is pretty epic (at least before Twilight Princess), but with the Mask, Skull Kid as a design just becomes super epic! Love the dynamic duo.

Just to even prove it, not that I got anything I need to prove, just wanted to talk about it. Skull Kid w/Majora is perhaps my favourite design in the whole Zelda franchise, and I've felt this for years! And, many years ago, I really wanted Skull Kid for both Brawl and Smash 4. Here is a drawing I did in 9th grade many years ago. (I'm not that talented, but it was for fun)

SkullKid.jpg

I was actually going to find it for when he was actually revealed, as I find it funny how I drew a muffin with a single candle on it, and it really find itself appropriate if he recieves a playable role, like a congratulations gift, but since I found it, why not just leave it here for now!

"You've met with a sugary fate, haven't you?"

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
That all said, Skull Kid is a part of the pieces of Hyrule. And I may be completely conflating my Zelda timeline, but if I recall, isnt there a connection between Midna, Majora's Mask, and Vaati? Or at least two of those three. Something I dont recall. Maybe it was never confirmed back in theory talk.
Either way. That is a strong energy that in general needs a presence.
That's one of the coolest things about Majora's Mask is the fantheories it spawned. I don't think any other Zelda game had gotten that much discussion.

The big one is that Midna's Fused Shadow resembles Majora's Mask

which lends to the idea that the 'dark interlopers' that Lanayru talked about in that freakish cutscene was actually the Terminans, which connects since they were always the broody counterparts to the Hylians.

Also, there's the fantheory that Majora was actually a goddess that fell from the pantheon, which I also love. I need to see if I can find that site with all the photographic evidence...

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
How many more Captain Falcon's, Wii Fit Trainer's, R.O.B's, Villager's, and Duck Hunt's do we need to get before people realize moveset potential is just a meme?

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
May I be added to the support list? Skull Kid is the most iconic Zelda villain (besides Ganon) and would be really fun to play as.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I think another thing going on for Skull Kid is the theory running around that the new mode is Spirits, a boss mode in which you're trying to save the souls of those who were killed in the trailers by the rivals. It'd make sense for Sakurai to include Skull Kid as another rival or villain to fit this theme perfectly.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
In my mind, The Legend of Zelda needs a new unique representative. We technically only have three unique fighters after all, less than many of the other major series. At this point, given some of the developments in recent days, Skull Kid is definitely a strong possibility. With so many other viable characters that starred in one game confirmed as ATs, and Impa likely to be no more than an echo, it seems he might be our only hope...

Not that I don't like the idea. I'd welcome Skull Kid. A few years ago I would have questioned his moveset potential, but using some of Majora's Mask's abilities would help address this, and there are a few options from Hyrule Warriors, if that material from that is ever seen as viable (which I hope it is). I don't know if I like an ocarina and Tatl and Tael being his primary means of attack, but the mask laser was interesting, at least.

Skull Kid would be another villain to add to the mix as well, which would be fun. We would make a great rival for Young Link. I doubt, since the Moon is an AT, that that would be his Final Smash, although having three moons in the sky in Great Bay while both the Assist and the Final Smash are active would be ironic... Still, a reference to the final Majora fight would work well too.

So yeah, Skull Kid would be good. Majora's Mask was a great game, and I'd love to see it happen.

Last edited:

JMac52

Smash Cadet
Up to this point in Smash history, I’ve never really thought Skull Kid had much shot of making the roster even though I’ve always been hopeful. However, the in game evidence and convenient timing of the 3DS remake is really pushing me to believe that he has a good shot this time around. I would be all for it! MM is an awesome game and Skull Kid is a cool villain. Sign me up as a supporter as well!

I feel like Majoras Mask remastered coming out in the same year helped Skull Kid’s chances a lot more than people give credit for.

Just so you all are aware Nintendo UK made an instagram post about Skull Kid if you wanted to go check it out.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ah, it's the special edition figure from the 3DS remake. Never got one of those, but I did get the gold New 3DS XL system, so I'm just counting my blessings on that.

The background of the next direct could be a featureless white room, and people would still find a way to twist it into speculating about Smash. ("the room's entirely white? So are the Chorus Kids! They're hinting at a playable Rhythm Heaven character for Smash!")
Yeah, the background analyses are getting out of hand. I'm pretty sure the rooms are filmed in front of a green screen and they just put a random home interior behind him. I think Sakurai and company have better things to do with their time than labor over the background of a presentation to leave super subtle hints about characters.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
But without Skull Kid, the mask would just be an item. Why would you seperate them when they're iconic when together?
Dude the mask can talk pretty sure it’s more than an item, pretty sure it’s alive

They can integrate Majora’s boss moves into Skull Kid. Skull Kid is more iconic than the boss fight that I’m sure a lot of casuals never made it to. There is just way more potential in them being a 2 in 1.
So we support the casuals now?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Could be that Nintendo UK is picking up on the hype train that is Skull Kid without actually knowing if he is part of the game or not. Remember how few people in Nintendo in general who have any ideas of secret developement of the games. Especially one which is not handled by first party developer, but Sora Ltd and Bandai Namco.

With that, I think it's cool that NintenUK has picked up steam on how hype Skull Kid has become that they wanted to bring fire to the fuel, but I would be doubtful to believe this to be anything more, but who knows. Maybe it's all mindgames from Sakurai asking them to do so? Idk.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Dude the mask can talk pretty sure it’s more than an item, pretty sure it’s alive

So we support the casuals now?
I mean, the whole point is to bring a character to Smash that a majority of people want and know of. IMO both of them together is what makes it iconic. He is literally why the events of MM even happen. Skull Kid also has a lot of personality and is also featured in OoT and TP so he is a returning character.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
How much would you guys freak out if nintendo tweeted that only 72 hours remain till the next direct sometime in october

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So I've seen the possibility that Skull Kid could be a boss, and I would like to say, I think this is impossible or at least extremely unlikely, bosses are always really big and skull kid is really small in comparison and it would jsut be really weird for sakurai to do a flip, both of the new bosses so far have been big, and if zelda were to get a boss, i'd put my money on Pig Ganon from LTTP.

Also, if he was a boss, why cut the AT? Rathalos showed it's possible to be both, cutting Skull Kid to make him a boss would be as weird as if he was just cut entirely

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You might add me in the supporters list whenever you can. I really can't wait to see how this amount of hints and teases (and leakers speaking about it) become a reality at the end of the day. He is literally my favorite villain in the TLOZ games.

Top Bottom