• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Man who the hell even knows when the next Smash game comes. It could be 7 or 8 years off for all we know. What we do know though is that Skull Kid or any other Zelda newcomer won't be playable in it either.
This is exactly what Donkey Kong and Metroid character supporters have been saying after nothing in Wii U.

If you just assume it won't happen, then it won't. If you try and show your support as much as possible, then guess what? It's possible.

I absolutely detest the mindset that "We didn't get it here and we didn't get it there. We're not getting it."

If outcry for a Zelda rep is large enough, Sakurai won't just ignore it. We got very popular characters this go around with Ridley, Inklings, Simon, Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus.

Ken, Isabelle, Richter, Piranha Plant, and Incineroar were essentially 'Sakurai' picks. Every game has brought in popular characters and 'Director's Choice' characters.

Melee had popular picks like Bowser, Zelda, Peach, and Mewtwo as well as picks like Dr. Mario, G&W, and Ice Climbers.

Brawl had Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Sonic, and Pokemon Trainer as well as R.O.B., Pit, Oilimar, and Lucas.

Wii U had Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr., and Palutena as well as Duck Hunt Duo, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, and Greninja.

I really, really, really hate the negativity spreading around, and this only contributes to it.

NineS

Smash Lord
Seriously, why is everyone assuming Skull Kid is deconfirmed?
Is it because of his spirits icon?

Being a Spirit isn't deconfirmation, at least as far as we know. It's meant to replace trophies, isn't it?
I'd like to remind you all that the Skull Kid we saw in Spirits mode wasn't The Skull Kid.

Remember that argument about him just being a member of a race, like waddle dee? That argument works backwards as well, especially in this situation.

Being a Spirit isn't an automatic deconfirmation as far as we currently know.
The Spirit of Skull Kid we saw was a random generic Skull Kid, not The Skull Kid (Who can be identified with the Skull Mask, or Majora's Mask).

Skull Kid still has a chance. He hasn't been deconfirmed, unlike Isaac and Shadow.

Unless I'm missing something here, and Skull Kid was shown to be part of Young Link's final Smash or something along those lines, he's still got about as much of a fighting chance as before. The only thing that can change that is him being revealed as an assist trophy, or if the DLC is going to be strictly 3rd parties. (Piranha doesn't count. According to the website, he's not one of the 5 DLC characters in the Fighter's pass.)

If he has been deconfirmed, then don't be silent. Be loud.
Ridley supporters got what they wanted eventually because of it, as did K. Rool fans. Get attention. Find a spotlight. You're going to want to be vocal if you want to be heard, and if you want him to have a high chance of being a character.

If he has been deconfirmed, and I'm totally unaware of it, I'm gonna look like an idiot. And that's okay. Because that's practically the case for me anyway.

Last edited:

Alias1431

Smash Rookie

Being a Spirit isn't deconfirmation, at least as far as we know. It's meant to replace trophies, isn't it?
I'd like to remind you all that the Skull Kid we saw in Spirits mode wasn't The Skull Kid.

Remember that argument about him just being a member of a race, like waddle dee? That argument works backwards as well, especially in this situation.

The Spirit of Skull Kid we saw was a random generic Skull Kid, not The Skull Kid (Who can be identified with the Skull Mask, or Majora's Mask).

Skull Kid still has a chance. He hasn't been deconfirmed, unlike Isaac and Shadow.

Unless I'm missing something here, and Skull Kid was shown to be part of Young Link's final Smash or something along those lines, he's still got about as much of a fighting chance as before. The only thing that can change that is him being revealed as an assist trophy, or if the DLC is going to be strictly 3rd parties. (Piranha doesn't count. According to the website, he's not one of the 5 DLC characters in the Fighter's pass.)

Ridley supporters got what they wanted eventually because of it, as did K. Rool fans. Get attention. Find a spotlight. You're going to want to be vocal if you want to be heard, and if you want him to have a high chance of being a character.
Skull Kid's an AT.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Quick Question. With all of the characters being playable now, has anyone managed find footage of Young Link's final smash?
Did they use him in Nintendo Live?
It's Triforce Slash. Not even joking.

This is exactly what Donkey Kong and Metroid character supporters have been saying after nothing in Wii U.

If you just assume it won't happen, then it won't. If you try and show your support as much as possible, then guess what? It's possible.

I absolutely detest the mindset that "We didn't get it here and we didn't get it there. We're not getting it."

If outcry for a Zelda rep is large enough, Sakurai won't just ignore it. We got very popular characters this go around with Ridley, Inklings, Simon, Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus.

Ken, Isabelle, Richter, Piranha Plant, and Incineroar were essentially 'Sakurai' picks. Every game has brought in popular characters and 'Director's Choice' characters.

Melee had popular picks like Bowser, Zelda, Peach, and Mewtwo as well as picks like Dr. Mario, G&W, and Ice Climbers.

Brawl had Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Sonic, and Pokemon Trainer as well as R.O.B., Pit, Oilimar, and Lucas.

Wii U had Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr., and Palutena as well as Duck Hunt Duo, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, and Greninja.

I really, really, really hate the negativity spreading around, and this only contributes to it.
That's nice but I'm done ever having hope for anything when it comes to Smash Bros. I thought that with Ridely and K. Rool showing up that Sakurai was actually turning around from the guy who gave us Corrin and Baynetta while saying "lol bye". But nope, this direct proves he hasn't changed one bit. We'll never get a Zelda newcomer or even any other fan favorites until we get a new director who doesn't have his head up his ass.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
It's Triforce Slash. Not even joking.

That's nice but I'm done ever having hope for anything when it comes to Smash Bros. I thought that with Ridely and K. Rool showing up that Sakurai was actually turning around from the guy who gave us Corrin and Baynetta while saying "lol bye". But nope, this direct proves he hasn't changed one bit. We'll never get a Zelda newcomer or even any other fan favorites until we get a new director who doesn't have his head up his ***.
Don't think I agree with the pessimistic approach you're taking, but you do you. Chances are you'll buy the game and enjoy it anyway.
Albeit begrudgingly.
Skull Kid's an AT.
Well, ****. Does this mean this thread has to close then?

Fane

Smash Journeyman
That's nice but I'm done ever having hope for anything when it comes to Smash Bros. I thought that with Ridely and K. Rool showing up that Sakurai was actually turning around from the guy who gave us Corrin and Baynetta while saying "lol bye". But nope, this direct proves he hasn't changed one bit. We'll never get a Zelda newcomer or even any other fan favorites until we get a new director who doesn't have his head up his ***.
You're outright being ungrateful for the sole reason that you didn't get what you specifically wanted.

Sakurai literally brought back EVERY fighter from previous entries, revamped movesets, adjusted DOZENS of mechanics, brought in 103 stages, created a brand new adventure mode, and with that he also brought in a total of 11 newcomers which were all wonderful additions. Then confirmed at LEAST 5 DLC characters that come with a stage and some music.

This direct only brought out the true nature of 'fans'. Frankly, I didn't want any of the newcomers barring Chrom, am I going to pout and say that this man, who has provided entries for one of the most phenomenal franchises for nearly two decades, has his head up his ***? No that's ****ing ridiculous!

Am I disappointed we got no new Zelda newcomer? Yes, of course. Am I upset that Skull Kid didn't make it in? Obviously, he's my #1 want. Am I sad that things I wanted didn't come true? You betcha.

Am I going to let all of that stuff, which is generally minor problems at best, get the best of me and claim this game and the director aren't good enough? No, why the hell would I let that get to me?

I don't want Skull Kid, LoZ, or any other character/franchise's fanbases diluted to that of Waluigi's. We don't need to spread hate and toxicity.

Last edited:

ThomasMagmar

Smash Cadet

If he has been deconfirmed, and I'm totally unaware of it, I'm gonna look like an idiot. And that's okay. Because that's practically the case for me anyway.
You have missed some things.

First Skull Kid ist an AT, what you can see on the official homepage.
Second Skull Kid is 2 different Spirits, 1 with this mask and 1 without.
I could imagine that it is a upgrade like we have seen with Dixie Kong.
You can see his symbol of SK with the mask also in Smash Direct.

I also see less chances now for SK to be playable, but if you look at
the actual situation you can see that everything is possible.
Noone thought that piranja plant would be possible. Rathalos was
the first character that is a boss and an AT.
So why couldn't SK not be the first character that is an AT and
playable, or that was upgraded from an AT to playable.

I am pretty sure that we will get more then 5 DLC. So maybe the first
5 DLC have been already been decided and SK isn't one of them, but
there is no decision for the remaining DLC, I think at least further 5 more.

So I hope the Skull Kid fans are loud enought, so that Sakurai changes
his decision and will bring him. That would mean to wait at least over a
year, but this is still better then 6-7 years for a new game.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
ungrateful
I am so beyond sick of seeing this word. I really don't care. I'm still getting the game and enjoying the characters I was going to use anyways but I'm not going to delude myself that Sakurai will ever change his ways. Today was a damn massacre for so many highly fan requested characters. If the Pirahna Plant wasn't a wake up call for you, then nothing will be. Keep having hope by all means. I just hope you have enough for 2 people.

Calling it now, one of those 5 DLC characters will be from Fire Emblem. Mark my words. Make it 2 of them actually.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Late to the mourning party but big oof on this one boys. Everyone died. And all I wanted from this Direct was some good single player content. But I guess not all dreams come true. Oh well though, you win some you lose some. At least there's hopefully some yummy DLC on the horizon.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
PhantomShab PhantomShab Regardless, my point is to not bite the hand that feeds you. Play your part, do your best to get it to his attention that the community WANTS it, and hope for the best. Nothing is guaranteed and only wallowing in anger and disappointment isn't helping anyone, especially not yourself.

Calling it now, one of those 5 DLC characters will be from Fire Emblem.
Not gonna lie, if it would be Azura, I'd be hyped as hell. Because she's an excellent character to have represent Fire Emblem.

Smash Apprentice
I hate the mentality of "Sakurai is working hard so Sakurai is making good decisions" I don't think anyone could deny that Sakurai doesn't bust his ass on these games, that doesn't mean he's God or that every decision he makes is a good one. If some guy started digging a 10 foot hole in your front lawn and you got mad at him for it, would anyone walking down the street in their right mind go: "Hey! Can't you see he's working hard?! Stop being so ungrateful!"

By the way, has anyone else played DragonBall FighterZ story mode?

Why is Smash Ultimate's "World of Light" adventure mode so eerily similar to Dragon Ball FighterZ's story mode?

It literally is the same damn thing down to the gameplay structure, walking around on a map and fighting boring ass recolored CPUs on normal stages while "freeing" characters and adding them to your party.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
"Sakurai is working hard so Sakurai is making good decisions"
I never said he was making good decisions.

For the most part? Yeah, he made excellent decisions. There's parts that aren't so great such as the removal of trophies and, as much as I like the addition, Piranha Plant as a fighter.

I basically said looking at everything Ultimate has provided and then looking at Sakurai and going "Pull your head out of your ***" or "We need a better director" is absolutely ridiculous and childish. You're not going to get your wants in by acting like a child on Christmas that throws a tantrum because one of your wants weren't under the tree.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I'm confused and hurt.

It was nice that Sm4sh deconfirmed him early on. This time felt excruciating. And Isaac? Shadow? Black Knight? Dixie was shown as a spirit, is she still able to be dlc? I'm not even sure if I want her that badly... I mean with five slots, it's going to be really tight.

As for new Zelda franchise characters? Well, I guess it's back to scraping for the bottom of the barrel with Impa. Can I make a ridiculous request of Moosh for playable? Seems completely Sakurai-logical. Except... it's Legend of Zelda.

At least I have Pirahna Plant. That was an unexpected treat.

Can I have Fierce Deity Link? I can get over Skull Kid if I get him. Which is totally not happening either.

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
I've heard this a lot, but I don't know what the source is.

I was under impression the only thing planned at this point was the layout and piranha plant. Sakurai even made a point he couldn't really say what was coming even though you normally would with a season pass, giving me the impression none of them have been decided.
He said it about Rex. Xenoblade 2 arrived too late for him to be considered. DLC is already set in stone just like on Wii u, these characters take a lot of time to make. The thing about the game pass was an apology, because it's the first time he would be selling something without telling people what it is, but he also doesn't want to reveal them just yet.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well it was a nice run while it lasted. I never expected Skull Kid to rise to the heights he did.

Seriously, I owe everyone here a big thank you for elevating Skull Kid to one of the most requested characters for the game.

Fingers cross for DLC but I'll admit I don't have any hope in that regard.

Either way, I think it might be a good time to disappear, the rosters known and speculation has pretty much come to an end. I think I'd like to go into the rest of the game spoiler free. Probably just limit myself to twitter and YouTube.

I might pop in every now again, but I really want to reduce how much time I spend online. It's a bit unhealthy. This applies to gamefaqs and discord too.

Again thank you all for your continued support through the highs and the very low lows. Here's hoping it continues until the next opportunity arises.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai literally created this beautiful game for us. Ultimate looks amazing, I honestly can't wait to get my hands on the game December 7th and play every new character, even Inceniroar, who I still hate from a certain sun and moon experience I once had.

That said Sakurai does not deserve to be the scapegoat for all this toxic behavior. This game was made for us, and sure it doesn't have every single character we wanted, but you honestly can't appease everyone. If you're fuming because SK isn't in, you really only have yourself to blame, getting this caught up over one single character is taking it a little far.

Would I have liked SK in the game? Of course! I love him! But you know what, he's not a playable charter and you know what,

that's just fine.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He said it about Rex. Xenoblade 2 arrived too late for him to be considered. DLC is already set in stone just like on Wii u, these characters take a lot of time to make. The thing about the game pass was an apology, because it's the first time he would be selling something without telling people what it is, but he also doesn't want to reveal them just yet.
I think talking about Rex was him saying Rex came too late to be on the base roster; I'm not convinced he was saying all five DLC characters are set. That being said, I'd be shocked if some of them weren't; if they plan to release five in a little over a year, they must have done some work on them already.

Regarding Skull Kid...

He always has a chance for the next game. Believing he can still be DLC for this game is wishful thinking, because his role is set, but I think his massive surge of popularity over the past few months has shown that if we try, we can turn him into the next Ridley. We have to be loud, we have to be focused, and we have to get as many Zelda fans as possible to rally behind him, because a split fanbase leads to too many requests and a muddled message. But we can do it next time. We can't let his popularity fade. The fact that he's still this popular eighteen years after his game came out means that he has the potential to become a hugely requested character, and we can make something happen there.

What we shouldn't do is *****, and whine, and moan about how bad a job Sakurai did. Yes, he can make some...questionable decisions sometimes, and yes, it seems like he doesn't care about Zelda, but that doesn't mean we have to act like spoiled children about it. Do we really want Skull Kid fans to be like Waluigi fans? I don't want that, and I would be ashamed to be called a Skull Kid fan if everyone else who wanted him was calling for Sakurai's head. We can be disappointed and move on and hope for the next game without being entitled assholes about it, and that's what I want to see from all of you.

Remember. Sakurai seemed pretty dead set against adding more characters for Metroid and Donkey Kong, but we got them both because of fan demand. There is hope, even if it's not for this game. Majora's Mask 3D and Skull Kid in Hyrule Warriors both exist because of fan outcry, so once more, if we remind Nintendo how important they are, we can make this happen. The moon may have set, but it can rise once again if we help it!

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have a lot of difficulties looking forward to the NEXT Smash Bros game when this one isn't even out. That might be 10 years from now. I don't even know if I'll give a crap about video games or Skull Kid by then, realistically, or if Smash Bros. will be a viable concept without radically changing the formula. Sakurai seems genuinely sick of making these. All I do know about the next Smash game is... I don't know anything about it. Skull Kid will likely be even less relevant in the future, I do know that.

Just wait for mods, guys. Thankfully I have an early model of the Switch with a hardware backdoor.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I appreciate the optimism and drive you feel for a Smash 6 campaign; but honestly it's just not the same to me. Skull Kid won't be in a game where every character in Smash History is involved. Unless they port the game with all DLC to the next console and just start a new DLC season, Smash 6 will almost be impossible to top Smash Ultimate.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well, you all feel free to give up, but I'm not gonna just yet.

The inevitable mods will be good though, that's a good point!

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
Hello, we the guys at Super Bomber Bros would like to request an artist for skull kid. Our founder, FuzzyPickles, is looking for one. He are gathering left behind fighters who were given the assist trophy treatment and a few other neglected fighters a tribute in this piece. We have an artist for Bomberman already and are finding one for Issac.

https://www.superbomberbros.com/

https://mobile.twitter.com/superbomberbros/status/1024520922580086785

Our Bomberman artist’s name is Patchy/Gilded Pudding, he made the graphics for our site and the famous banner Bomberman. Contact FuzzyPickles for more details and questions.

Smash Apprentice
The problem is none of the three Mii fighters have fighting styles much like how Skull Kid should play. For some characters like Protoman or Dunban Mii Costumes work great. For others... not so much.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I hate the mentality of "Sakurai is working hard so Sakurai is making good decisions" I don't think anyone could deny that Sakurai doesn't bust his *** on these games, that doesn't mean he's God or that every decision he makes is a good one. If some guy started digging a 10 foot hole in your front lawn and you got mad at him for it, would anyone walking down the street in their right mind go: "Hey! Can't you see he's working hard?! Stop being so ungrateful!"
Sakurai's fanbase more than any other game dev has the biggest case of hero worship it's unreal. You can't say ANYTHING about the man without getting dogpiled by Sakurai fanboys unless it's the same blind praise they always spew endlessly. At this point I think Sakurai added Pirahna Plant because he KNOWS his fans will accept it. Just look at all the memesters pretending to be excited to play as it.

I'm dead serious when I say we WILL have Goku playable before a new Zelda character.

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
Sakurai's fanbase more than any other game dev has the biggest case of hero worship it's unreal. You can't say ANYTHING about the man without getting dogpiled by Sakurai fanboys unless it's the same blind praise they always spew endlessly. At this point I think Sakurai added Pirahna Plant because he KNOWS his fans will accept it. Just look at all the memesters pretending to be excited to play as it.

I'm dead serious when I say we WILL have Goku playable before a new Zelda character.
They literally defend a potted plant....I can’t see Goku as unrealistic anymore....

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Hello, we the guys at Super Bomber Bros would like to request an artist for skull kid. Our founder, FuzzyPickles, is looking for one. He are gathering left behind fighters who were given the assist trophy treatment and a few other neglected fighters a tribute in this piece. We have an artist for Bomberman already and are finding one for Issac.

https://www.superbomberbros.com/

https://mobile.twitter.com/superbomberbros/status/1024520922580086785

Our Bomberman artist’s name is Patchy/Gilded Pudding, he made the graphics for our site and the famous banner Bomberman. Contact FuzzyPickles for more details and questions.
This would be really cool to see. That Bomberman art for the banner is the best even if it's fan made.

They literally defend a potted plant....I can’t see Goku as unrealistic anymore....
Now now don't be so ungrateful. Sakurai worked so hard to give us that potted plant while making actual characters assist trophies. He deserves our undying gratitude.

Dan

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a ****ing asshole; I like Skull Kid, but you guys got led on hardcore (maybe even worse than Isaac fans). First the pillows, then the chairs (which who the **** has purple and green school chairs sitting in front of the camera in their office?) and then intentionally saving Skull till the last moment (and even after the Direct) to pain you guys. This guy is a ****ing asshole.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
At this point I think Sakurai added Pirahna Plant because he KNOWS his fans will accept it. Just look at all the memesters pretending to be excited to play as it.
Stop being a character basher.

I'm as salty and butthurt about Skull Kid as you are, on top of the void of Zelda characters and Incineroar of all things? A completely safe character archetype that doesn't try anything different? At least he has fans, so I'm not calling him a waste. I'm refraining from spitting downright negativity, but it is indeed devastating and aggravating. I've been waiting for Skull Kid since Melee. MELEE. Ridley and K Rool fans get their day, but we do not. It may or may not even come. And us Skull Kid fans aren't close to the only ones affected by this final direct. It's the pain of being a SSB fan with specific expectations. An involuntary recipe for disappointment.

But I'm quite ecstatic to play as Piranha Plant.

This character is something completely unique and inventive that I wasn't expecting, as I always thought it would be Petey Piranha if anything at all. Always loved Petey. But Petey is a humanoid giant with a big head, while the Piranha Plant is a completely different type of frame shared by no other character and capable of very distinct movements. And on the principal of moveset potential and sheer fun, I am already in love with Piranha Plant.

Sorry dude but chalking up my fascination with Piranha Plant to meme culture is not going to work. In fact, I'm going to enjoy drinking salty tears online with his big, dumb, grinning mouth.

tl;dr you're going to make us Skull Kid fans look much worse by senselessly bashing tons of other characters, and in the process their fans. We'll watching smiling as they bite back.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If this thread is just gonna descend into whining and bashing, maybe we should just close it. I don't want this to be our legacy as fans.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Thank you for proving my point.

"hahaha I'm going to use this character because it makes people mad lololol"
No I did explain why Piranha Plant is unique and interesting, if you can see through your ridiculous attitude to acknowledge it. Making people mad is the just cherry on top.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
If this thread is just gonna descend into whining and bashing, maybe we should just close it. I don't want this to be our legacy as fans.
It would be a shame to close it though. I've really enjoyed talking to you all here and I consider you friends. It's like a hangout.

We can just try to limit any bashing talk. Ridley and K Rool fans hadn't given up all those years, Neither should we.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
No need to close the thread. I'm taking a long break from it after this post. If by some miracle assist trophies get upgraded to playable characters and Skull Kid is one of them, feel free to spam me with all the "I told you so" posts you can make.

I would be the happiest I'd ever be to get proven wrong. Later.

Top Bottom