• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Is Sakurai kind? I don't know. Am I the only one bothered by him teasing new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos for nothing? I only see two ways to explain this. First, he likes to frustrate people. That would make him kind of a jerk. Second, he genuinly think nobody cares about the Zelda characters... Either way, I don't like it.

That, or new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos are indeed planned and he's playing a long game, but I would be very surprised.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Is Sakurai kind? I don't know. Am I the only one bothered by him teasing new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos for nothing? I only see two ways to explain this. First, he likes to frustrate people. That would make him kind of a jerk. Second, he genuinly think nobody cares about the Zelda characters... Either way, I don't like it.

That, or new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos are indeed planned and he's playing a long game, but I would be very surprised.
Sakurai is kind and he doesn't like to frustrate people. He isn't God or a genie he can't make everyone's wishes come true. He enjoys making people happy, but he isn't in control of some of the roster picks sometimes Nintendo is. Especially in the DLC department. Or at least Nintendo gives him a list and he chooses off of that. Plus Sakurai believes that it's more important that character is fun whether than being recognizable.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Sakurai is kind and he doesn't like to frustrate people [...] He enjoys making people happy
I don't know how you can possibly know all this.
but he isn't in control of some of the roster picks sometimes Nintendo is. Especially in the DLC department. Or at least Nintendo gives him a list and he chooses off of that. Plus Sakurai believes that it's more important that character is fun whether than being recognizable.
And that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know how you can possibly know all this. And that has nothing to do with what I wrote.
I know you want another Zelda rep too and so do I. But just because Sakurai hasn't added a unique Zelda rep since Melee that doesn't mean he hates Zelda or it's characters.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I know you want another Zelda rep too and so do I. But just because Sakurai hasn't added a unique Zelda rep since Melee that doesn't mean he hates Zelda or it's characters.
I was not talking about that, I was talking about the way he teased new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos for nothing.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I almost took that statement of him expressing his own frustrations with the lack of updated amiibos and sorta being like hey Nintendo you should do this, but maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos?
In the Min Min presentation, Sakurai talked about how Ganondorf and Zelda got updated designs for Smash Ultimate, but the Smash amiibos used Smash 4's/Twilight Princess's designs. He said:

"However, some fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf have their designs from [Smash 4], so it's too bad that they will not have updated versions. Ahh, what a shame, but we've released them all. Every. Last. One."

He was smiling and light-hearted the whole time, which made it seem like he was teasing something.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
In the Min Min presentation, Sakurai talked about how Ganondorf and Zelda got updated designs for Smash Ultimate, but the Smash amiibos used Smash 4's/Twilight Princess's designs. He said:

"However, some fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf have their designs from [Smash 4], so it's too bad that they will not have updated versions. Ahh, what a shame, but we've released them all. Every. Last. One."

He was smiling and light-hearted the whole time, which made it seem like he was teasing something.
Exactly. And then without transition he pulled out the Joker Amiibo.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
He wasn't teasing anything and it doesn't depend on him to get those updated versions. This is purely dependant on Nintendo and what they are willing to invest on. If DLC amiibos are gonna be so limited, i can't imagine them being able to make updated versions of previous amiibos, they seem to be on a tight spot on the amiibo department based on that statement he made.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I
He wasn't teasing anything and it doesn't depend on him to get those updated versions. This is purely dependant on Nintendo and what they are willing to invest on. If DLC amiibos are gonna be so limited, i can't imagine them being able to make updated versions of previous amiibos, they seem to be on a tight spot on the amiibo department based on that statement he made.
I actually have to agree with Lenidem on this one, I thought for sure he was setting up for new Zelda series amiibo with how he went on about it. It stands out to me as a very weird part of the direct that was just unnecessary to be there.

Although I don't think he had any cruel intentions, I still kinda think he was teasing something.

Come to think of it, he randomly mentioned Zelda in the byleth presentation. Saying how he couldn't have Botw Zelda be playable because of his limited understanding of the character at the time.

I wonder if he'll mention the series again in the next video?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Then why talk about it?
Come to think of it, he randomly mentioned Zelda in the byleth presentation. Saying how he couldn't have Botw Zelda be playable because of his limited understanding of the character at the time.

I wonder if he'll mention the series again in the next video?
New Zelda fighter confirmed! :p

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Then why talk about it?
Why talk about difficult spirit fights? Smash isn't just about the new fighters. They can talk, as you can see, about other aspects of it if they want. I want Skull kid and a new zelda rep since forever and I have always agreed that they are being ***** about zelda representation in these recent Smash games, but honestly I think there's a lot of reach done here with such a simple statement they've made about going to have limited amounts of DLC amiibos and how they are gonna be unable to make these updated versions, I dunno what else is there to understand, seems like unnecessary twisting of his Sakurai's words.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Why talk about difficult spirit fights? Smash isn't just about the new fighters. They can talk, as you can see, about other aspects of it if they want. I want Skull kid and a new zelda rep since forever and I have always agreed that they are being ***** about zelda representation in these recent Smash games, but honestly I think there's a lot of reach done here with such a simple statement they've made about going to have limited amounts of DLC amiibos and how they are gonna be unable to make these updated versions, I dunno what else is there to understand, seems like unnecessary twisting of his Sakurai's words.
There is a huge difference between talking about something that is already in the game and talking about something that will never exist. You watched the video and didn't believe for a moment that he was going to announce new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos? Really? I'm sorry but it's hard to believe.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There is a huge difference between talking about something that is already in the game and talking about something that will never exist. You watched the video and didn't believe for a moment that he was going to announce new Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibos? Really? I'm sorry but it's hard to believe.
Personally I saw it as him explaining that there won’t be Ultimate designs of them so people don’t get their hopes up for nothing, which may be something he could be a bit disappointed in as well. It kinda felt like something most people would’ve known/guessed already since they kept shipping Smash 4 design amiibos alongside the ones for the Ultimate newcomers, which he may have just reiterated. It’s not like he has much control over amiibo production. It didn’t feel like a tease for nothing or anything like that to me, Sakurai hasn’t acted like that before anyway.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I don't see what Zelda and Ganon amiibos have to do with Skull Kid. Besides that last direct pretty much finally confirmed assist trophies will never be upgraded. Sakurai's wording about wanting either Min Min or that ninja guy means he didn't have Spring Man in mind from the get-go and it's not hard to imagine why.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Why talk about difficult spirit fights?
Because they're also releasing an update that let's you rematch Spirit Battles. A feature I'm pretty excited. Might be fun to take a battles you struggled doing with relative ease.

I don't think it will really mean anything, especially in regards to Skull Kid. But I do find it very odd, especially the general attitude Sakurai had, he sounded playful. And it was very exaggerated it terms of how unfortunate it was. I thought for sure he was about to reveal new Zelda amiibo.

Remember this is the man who joked about Zero Suit Samus getting cut right before revealing her.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I know Sakurai has a reputation for trolling the fanbase, but c'mon, cut him some slack. He's not the kind of person to intentionally **** on any Smash or Nintendo fans like that.

I'm not sure what that moment meant, if anything, but I'm sure there was no malice or passive-aggressiveness behind it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't see what Zelda and Ganon amiibos have to do with Skull Kid. Besides that last direct pretty much finally confirmed assist trophies will never be upgraded. Sakurai's wording about wanting either Min Min or that ninja guy means he didn't have Spring Man in mind from the get-go and it's not hard to imagine why.
The Arms creator wanted Min Min and Sakurai added Min Min instead. If he asked for Spring Man Sakurai would have put him in instead of Min Min or Ninjara. Sakurai said nothing about Assist Trophies in the presentation or said nothing if they deconfirm a character. To be honest, the Spirit fan rule being destroyed is a good thing for us because this alone proves Assist Trophies or Mii costumes could get promoted too.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The Arms creator wanted Min Min and Sakurai added Min Min instead. If he asked for Spring Man Sakurai would have put him in instead of Min Min or Ninjara. Sakurai said nothing about Assist Trophies in the presentation or said nothing if they deconfirm a character. To be honest, the Spirit fan rule being destroyed is a good thing for us because this alone proves Assist Trophies or Mii costumes could get promoted too.
Plus being a developer favour helps a little too. Imagine if Aonuma gets a character in as a favour too. Majora's Mask was like his first child. He's already shown Majora's Mask favouritism when he specifically added Majora's Mask as the first chosen DLC gear in Breath of the Wild.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Plus being a developer favour helps a little too. Imagine if Aonuma gets a character in as a favour too. Majora's Mask was like his first child. He's already shown Majora's Mask favouritism when he specifically added Majora's Mask as the first chosen DLC gear in Breath of the Wild.
Plus Majora's Mask it self makes so many cameos in Nintendo games that it's pretty much a iconic Nintendo item at this point. People who never played Zelda recognize it and knows it's from Zelda.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Assuming all future DLC is mainly decided in-hourse than by Sakurai himself, I could easily see a LoZ character like Skull Kid, a Champion or (less likely) Tetra getting vouched for or requested as a part of a Fighter Pack.

Time will tell if any LoZ character is among the newcomers to receive that good fortune.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Assuming all future DLC is mainly decided in-hourse than by Sakurai himself, I could easily see a LoZ character like Skull Kid, a Champion or (less likely) Tetra getting vouched for or requested as a part of a Fighter Pack.

Time will tell if any LoZ character is among the newcomers to receive that good fortune.
I agree. I feel like a Champion from BOTW is most likely our new Zelda rep if any. Who though? I don't know, but I would be up for Urbosa or Mipha.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Urbosa is my favourite of the Champions, although her weaponry is probably the least unique.

Just not Mipha please, or completely overhaul her personality and voice (especially voice). Or just go Sidon, he's super popular and has a much better chance of being in the sequel.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Urbosa is my favourite of the Champions, although her weaponry is probably the least unique.

Just not Mipha please, or completely overhaul her personality and voice (especially voice). Or just go Sidon, he's super popular and has a much better chance of being in the sequel.
Urbosa is my favorite Champion as well. But I think it would be cool to get a Zora in the roster. Zoras are my favorite race in the Zelda series.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd be fine with any of them, but I'd personally root for Revali.

I was ecstatic the moment I learned that the Rito finally came back in a mainline Zelda game after having only appeared in the Wind Waker prior to that. Plus, I just think he could do cool stuff. It'd also mean more Falco memes and I would very much be okay with that

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd be fine with any of them, but I'd personally root for Revali.

I was ecstatic the moment I learned that the Rito finally came back in a mainline Zelda game after having only appeared in the Wind Waker prior to that. Plus, I just think he could do cool stuff. It'd also mean more Falco memes and I would very much be okay with that
Revali would also be great, and like you I'd love to see more Falco memes

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Aonuma is ashamed of Majora's Mask and didn't even want to remake it. When he finally did, he needlessly changed so many things to make the game more casual.
https://gamnesia.nintendoenthusiast...to-remake-majoras-mask-but-miyamoto-insisted/
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/eiji-a...joras-mask-3d-miyamoto-all-but-demanded-it-b/
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/2

Aonuma: So I didn’t want to open that lid again! (laughs)
Iwata: What do you mean you didn’t want to open the lid! (laughs)
Aonuma: I knew that as soon as I opened it I would break out in cold sweat! (laughs)
Everyone: (laughs)
Iwata: So Aonuma-san, you wanted to keep it closed forever?
Aonuma: As in a “please pretend it didn’t happen” kind of way! (laughs) Of course we’re not allowed to pretend that it didn’t happen, but I didn’t want to work on another iteration. But I was met by Miyamoto-san’s firm “nope”.

Miyamoto is the one who got Aonuma to remake Majora's Mask. If any game is Aonuma's real "baby" it's Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Aonuma is ashamed of Majora's Mask and didn't even want to remake it. When he finally did, he needlessly changed so many things to make the game more casual.
https://gamnesia.nintendoenthusiast...to-remake-majoras-mask-but-miyamoto-insisted/
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/eiji-a...joras-mask-3d-miyamoto-all-but-demanded-it-b/

Aonuma: I knew that as soon as I opened it I would break out in cold sweat! (laughs)
Aonuma: As in a “please pretend it didn’t happen” kind of way! (laughs) Of course we’re not allowed to pretend that it didn’t happen, but I didn’t want to work on another iteration. But I was met by Miyamoto-san’s firm “nope”.

Miyamoto is the one who got Aonuma to remake Majora's Mask. If any game is Aonuma's real "baby" it's Wind Waker.
Whaaat?! That's crazy!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Revali would also be great, and like you I'd love to see more Falco memes
I certainly would be really happy with some of the champions representing the races of the world of TLOZ, they are even important enough to not fall as forgettable characters later on. I really hope one day we get out of the triforce trio. Revali would definitely be my favorite one haha.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I certainly would be really happy with some of the champions representing the races of the world of TLOZ, they are even important enough to not fall as forgettable characters later on. I really hope one day we get out of the triforce trio.
We should aim for the main race trio Zora, Goron, Gerudo. Though we already technically have a Gerudo in the roster with the King of the Gerudo Ganondorf. Honestly though, I hope we get Skull Kid or Pig Ganon at some point.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Though I like Breath of the Wild and the champions, I wouldn't choose one of them as a fighter. First because they all have the same importance, so it would automatically be wierd to have one and not the others. That would probably not stop Sakurai though. Second because the franchise has more ''impactful'' characters. Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim, for instance, represent their respective game way better than any champion does.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

He doesn't hate Majora's Mask, he just has stressful memories from developing it, it had a very rushed development cycle.

And while I do find many changes unnecessary, saying he hates the game because of it is dumb

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
He doesn't hate Majora's Mask, he just has stressful memories from developing it, it had a very rushed development cycle.

And while I do find many changes unnecessary, saying he hates the game because of it is dumb
He wanted to pretend the game didn't exist and only remade it because Miyamoto basically demanded it. I never said he flat out hated it (though it wouldn't surprise me if he did), I said he was ashamed of it. Either way he definitely doesn't see it as his baby and is clearly more proud of Wind Waker as evidenced by almost every other Zelda game after it re-using it's art style and Link design.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So after I finished Classic Mode with Min Min today for the first time and you wouldn't believe what Spirit came alongside her Fighter Spirit... Skull Kid. I know it means nothing, but the fact Skull Kid was one of the Spirits that I got for clearing Classic Mode with Min Min for the first time kind of give me good vibes like it was a sign Skull Kid is getting promoted. I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying for me it was like seeing a sign of good fortune.

Last edited:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
So after I finished Classic Mode with Min Min today for the first time and you wouldn't believe what Spirit came alongside her Fighter Spirit... Skull Kid. I know it means nothing, but the fact Skull Kid was one of the Spirits that I got for clearing Classic Mode with Min Min for the first time kind of give me good vibes like it was a sign Skull Kid is getting promoted. I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying for me it was like seeing a sign of good fortune.
For me was waluigi, probably means nothing, I mean I didn't have waluigi spirit so probably that's why I got it. If it's a hint I rather skull kid of course.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For me was waluigi, probably means nothing, I mean I didn't have waluigi spirit so probably that's why I got it. If it's a hint I rather skull kid of course.
If Skull Kid get's in, I feel like N64 Zelda representation will be perfect in this game with Skull Kid playable alongside OOT Ganondorf, Young Link, Shiek, Gerudo Valley (stage), Great Bay (stage), and the Moon Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
If Skull Kid get's in, I feel like N64 Zelda representation will be perfect in this game with Skull Kid playable alongside OOT Ganondorf, Young Link, Shiek, Gerudo Valley (stage), Great Bay (stage), and the Moon Assist Trophy.
Exactly. That's why I will forever regret that Skull Kid was not in Melee, even though his absence was totally fair: at this time, all the cast had the look of the 64 games, it really felt like they belonged together. Today, with all the different art styles, it's almost like they belong to different franchises - which is kinda normal since the Zelda serie changes its style so often, but still.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly. That's why I will forever regret that Skull Kid was not in Melee, even though his absence was totally fair: at this time, all the cast had the look of the 64 games, it really felt like they belonged together. Today, with all the different art styles, it's almost like they belong to different franchises - which is kinda normal since the Zelda serie changes its style so often, but still.
I swear, I would have taken unique Skull Kid in Melee over the six clones even in exchange for Falcondorf.

Top Bottom