• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I agree with most of what you say. Just think we should avoid saying stuff like "this game is the best Zelda ever". It doesn't make much sense: how do compare the first Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild, for exemple? Too much time has passed, the consoles have become incredibly more powerful, the culture and the society have changed. I agree Majora's Mask is one of the greatest, but I think gamers who believe it too already want Skull Kid or at least don't need to be explained who Skull Kid is, so they are not the target audience of your writing anyway.

The only objective truth is that Twilight Princess sucks.
That was just me saying its my Favourite. I'm bias obviously. And I was just very purposely showing my bias. It was sort of a joke.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Oh dear, I think this whole ARMS mystery is giving me hope again, I feel it rising inside me. I can picture Sakurai "There's been a lot of demand for a new Zelda character, so here is your new fighter, Skull Kid"

I just have a very hard time picturing a character other than Spring Man repping ARMS

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Oh dear, I think this whole ARMS mystery is giving me hope again, I feel it rising inside me. I can picture Sakurai "There's been a lot of demand for a new Zelda character, so here is your new fighter, Skull Kid"

I just have a very hard time picturing a character other than Spring Man repping ARMS
I mean it could still be MinMin or that one that people only like for her giant ass. I'd love for it to be Spring Man bit if it's not him it'll basically hard confirm the fan rule that assist trophies will never get a second chance in the same Smash game. If there's one thing Sakurai has a real talent for, it's disappointing me so I fully expect common sense to stop applying just to keep the face of ARMS from being playable just so the assist trophy status quo stays in place.

Even then, keep in mind that even if Spring Man does finally break this stupid fan rule that really the only other character who could join him is Waluigi. I'm sure Sakurai would still want to have the majority of the pass be 3rd parties and advertisements.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I mean it could still be MinMin or that one that people only like for her giant ass. I'd love for it to be Spring Man bit if it's not him it'll basically hard confirm the fan rule that assist trophies will never get a second chance in the same Smash game. If there's one thing Sakurai has a real talent for, it's disappointing me so I fully expect common sense to stop applying just to keep the face of ARMS from being playable just so the assist trophy status quo stays in place.

Even then, keep in mind that even if Spring Man does finally break this stupid fan rule that really the only other character who could join him is Waluigi. I'm sure Sakurai would still want to have the majority of the pass be 3rd parties and advertisements.
This might be an unpopular opinion but I consider Waluigi one of the lesser likely assist upgrades (despite mentioning him above)

These packs need a stage and music, maybe spirits too. Majora's Mask is missing plenty of content to fill. But what do you do with Waluigi? Just give him random **** from spin-offs that's largely unrelated to him? Not impossible certainly but imo unlikely.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This might be an unpopular opinion but I consider Waluigi one of the lesser likely assist upgrades (despite mentioning him above)

These packs need a stage and music, maybe spirits too. Majora's Mask is missing plenty of content to fill. But what do you do with Waluigi? Just give him random **** from spin-offs that's largely unrelated to him? Not impossible certainly but imo unlikely.
I think Waluigi's the kind of character who's so big that he'd get a pass for an underwhelming stage/music collection.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think Waluigi's the kind of character who's so big that he'd get a pass for an underwhelming stage/music collection.
I think the fanbase would certainly welcome him openly regardless of stage and music.

Nintendo however has tendency to treat the character like ****. The closest he's ever had to a main game appearance is a costume in Odyssey. Don't forget how he missed Mario Kart 7, even Daisy got to show up in Mario Run

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think the fanbase would certainly welcome him openly regardless of stage and music.

Nintendo however has tendency to treat the character like ****. The closest he's ever had to a main game appearance is a costume in Odyssey. Don't forget how he missed Mario Kart 7, even Daisy got to show up in Mario Run
Yeah, but they've definitely noticed his Smash popularity. I really don't see them deciding they want to give some ATs a shot and skipping the one they've had to comment about to multiple news outlets.

After that, sure, they'll probably go back to treating him like ****, and we won't care because Smash is all that matters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, but they've definitely noticed his Smash popularity. I really don't see them deciding they want to give some ATs a shot and skipping the one they've had to comment about to multiple news outlets.

After that, sure, they'll probably go back to treating him like ****, and we won't care because Smash is all that matters.
Perhaps, but did Nintendo of Japan ever comment on the Waluigi issue? It honestly could have just been NoA trying to PR talk down the backlash.

I still think Skull Kid is higher up on the Assist trophy totem pole than people estimate. They did go out of the way to give him a Mii Costume (while Waluigi just has the hat)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The reason Waluigi is neglected by Nintendo compared to the other main Mario cast characters is because he wasn't created by Miyamoto, but Fumihide Aoki instead. Miyamoto seems to kind of have less respect or liking of certs for characters he didn't create that are in his games. K. Rool is kind of an example since he was MIA for 10 years before Ultimate.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The reason Waluigi is neglected by Nintendo compared to the other main Mario cast characters is because he wasn't created by Miyamoto, but Fumihide Aoki instead. Miyamoto seems to kind of have less respect or liking of certs for characters he didn't create that are in his games. K. Rool is kind of an example since he was MIA for 10 years before Ultimate.
What about Daisy then? Mario Land was not directed by Miyamoto, if I remember well.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I still think Skull Kid is higher up on the Assist trophy totem pole than people estimate. They did go out of the way to give him a Mii Costume (while Waluigi just has the hat)
He's a Zelda character, and not even one that could shill a new game. Even the Nintendog has a better shot than him.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
He's a Zelda character, and not even one that could shill a new game. Even the Nintendog has a better shot than him.
I don't believe that mindset at all. If there was any truth to it we never would have gotten more DK or Metroid characters.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
But Nintendog doesn't even compare to Piranha Plant though. Piranha Plant while random as hell is an iconic Mario enemy.
Yes and people will rationalize why the Nintendog is deserving and makes total perfect sense in hindsight if it ever get's added just like they'd do for literally anyone.

I'm sorry for being such a downer and all but man it really is time to just acknowledge that certain series are blessed with Sakurai loving them to death and others get shafted because he's indifferent to them. I think looking at Zelda's history of characters and having basically every potential pick getting the assist trophy treatment, it's pretty clear this series is in the latter camp right next to post-Superstar Kirby stuff.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Yes and people will rationalize why the Nintendog is deserving and makes total perfect sense in hindsight if it ever get's added just like they'd do for literally anyone.

I'm sorry for being such a downer and all but man it really is time to just acknowledge that certain series are blessed with Sakurai loving them to death and others get shafted because he's indifferent to them. I think looking at Zelda's history of characters and having basically every potential pick getting the assist trophy treatment, it's pretty clear this series is in the latter camp right next to post-Superstar Kirby stuff.
You know, while I don't disagree with you... Metroid fans were probably thinking the same when all they got was a transformation character that was recycled from a FS, things may look grim now for us, Zelda fans, but I'm sure we'll get one or two Zelda reps soon enough

I mean, at this point we could definitly warrant both of the top contender, Midna and Skull Kid, but getting one of them would be a step in the right direction already haha

Anyway, my point was, yeah it look grim because our series have been kinda ignored since Brawl, but one day it will turn around, I just know it, as long as we keep on supporting those characters we love and wants, I'm sure that one day, Midna and Skull Kid will join the fight! Just a matter of "when", not "if"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To be fair if there's one thing more iconic than plants it's puppies.
I know you're joking, but really Piranha Plant is much more iconic than Nintendog and even most of the roster. Why? Because he is a Mario enemy staple that has been in the games since the first Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Mario is literally the biggest gaming franchise on the planet, so with Plant being such a use enemy in that franchise it makes him iconic.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Sakurai couldn't even be bothered to let us know Skull Kid was an assist trophy again. He was just unceremoniously slapped down on the Smash site's AT list near the bottom. He couldn't even be bothered to combine the Skull Kid and Moon assist trophies together which would have been a no-brainer for literally anyone else. At least then we wouldn't have bothered to pointlessly hope for anything.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sakurai couldn't even be bothered to let us know Skull Kid was an assist trophy again. He was just unceremoniously slapped down on the Smash site's AT list near the bottom. He couldn't even be bothered to combine the Skull Kid and Moon assist trophies together which would have been a no-brainer for literally anyone else. At least then we wouldn't have bothered to pointlessly hope for anything.
Sakurai doesn't owe us anything, not every single thing had to announced, he also didn't have to return Skull Kid at all. He could have left him with nothing, not even the cool looking Mii Costume. He didn't have to give Zelda a new stage, he didn't have to bring back Great Bay, he didn't have to bring back everyone. Skull Kid is still my most wanted but I'm still grateful for the attention he did get

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sakurai doesn't owe us anything, not every single thing had to announced, he also didn't have to return Skull Kid at all. He could have left him with nothing, not even the cool looking Mii Costume. He didn't have to give Zelda a new stage, he didn't have to bring back Great Bay, he didn't have to bring back everyone. Skull Kid is still my most wanted but I'm still grateful for the attention he did get
I agree with this. There is also the fact that not only did Skull Kid's Assist Trophy came back but we got a Moon Assist Trophy as well. Two Majora's Mask Assist Trophies, and Great Bay? I would almost say Majora's Mask is better represented in Ultimate than Ocarina of Time which is saying a lot as almost everyone praises the hell out of Ocarina of Time as the great video game of all time unlike Majora's Mask which is just as good or even better.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
What is the point of posts like this, and why do people still make them? Yeah, Sakurai doesn't "have" to announce that Skull Kid is an assist trophy again. I also don't have to be grateful about it either. If anything I'd prefer nothing over an assist trophy since I turn them off anyways and them not getting in at least can still let me "maybe for DLC".

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What is the point of posts like this, and why do people still make them? Yeah, Sakurai doesn't "have" to announce that Skull Kid is an assist trophy again. I also don't have to be grateful about it either. If anything I'd prefer nothing over an assist trophy since I turn them off anyways and them not getting in at least can still let me "maybe for DLC".
You're entitled to feel however you want, as I'm entitled to defend Sakurai when someone gets upset because Sakurai didn't bend to his specific desires.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
What is the point of posts like this, and why do people still make them? Yeah, Sakurai doesn't "have" to announce that Skull Kid is an assist trophy again. I also don't have to be grateful about it either.
I agree with that part. Let's stop being ''grateful'', and even worse, shaming people who are not. Sakurai is not a savior nor a hero. On the other hand, let's stop pretend everything we dislike about Smash Bros is his fault. Actually, let's stop talking about him and talk more about the game itself instead.

Edit. So I started very recently to watch competitive videos about Smash Bros. There is one French channel, "Le Pugilat des Étoiles" (a litteral translation for "The Brawl of the Stars", something like that) that published a video in December telling what a few people (famous ones, I guess) love or dislike with Ultimate, and what they would like to see. It's not focused at all about the newcomers, more about the mechancics of the game. One guy jokes very quickly about his regret that Ray Man and Bomberman are not playable, and one says : "What I would like to see is of course Skull Kid" - with a picture of my avatar! :p

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I agree with that part. Let's stop being ''grateful'', and even worse, shaming people who are not. Sakurai is not a savior nor a hero. On the other hand, let's stop pretend everything we dislike about Smash Bros is his fault. Actually, let's stop talking about him and talk more about the game itself instead.

Edit. So I started very recently to watch competitive videos about Smash Bros. There is one French channel, "Le Pugilat des Étoiles" (a litteral translation for "The Brawl of the Stars", something like that) that published a video in December telling what a few people (famous ones, I guess) love or dislike with Ultimate, and what they would like to see. It's not focused at all about the newcomers, more about the mechancics of the game. One guy jokes very quickly about his regret that Ray Man and Bomberman are not playable, and one says : "What I would like to see is of course Skull Kid" - with a picture of my avatar! :p
That's cool.

Also learned today HMK seems to be a pretty big Skull Kid supporter.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
A cool moveset idea, animated by Mario Ramirez for Skull Kid ! I suggest you all give it a watch, he poured a ton of effort into it and it doesn't have nearly enough views for the amount of work that went into the making of this video.

Also, you can count me in, i've been a silent supporter for our favorite Kreepy Kid for a little while now.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
A cool moveset idea, animated by Mario Ramirez for Skull Kid ! I suggest you all give it a watch, he poured a ton of effort into it and it doesn't have nearly enough views for the amount of work that went into the making of this video.

Also, you can count me in, i've been a silent supporter for our favorite Kreepy Kid for a little while now.
The talent, the creativity and the time it took are impressive. But that wouldn't be Skull Kid for me. Give that moveset to Young Link.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please do not import off-site drama to the boards. If you have an issue with someone off Smashboards, hash it out in Discord, Twitter, etc; not here. We do not tolerate harassment/trolling/doxxing/etc of users in other platforms on Smashboards either. I will be removing any offending posts So please refrain from this topic of discussion. However, if you feel that there should be staff action against bad actors here on the site due to questionable behavior; please contact us directly or make a case in Ask a Mod or Ask an Admin in the Help section. Please keep in mind we can’t take action against users for off-site behavior but, if you suspect that this behavior extends to on Smashboards, please bring this to the staff’s attention. Regardless, please talk something else related to Skull Kid.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Good call. This is a support thread, not a drama centre.

We should talk about Skull Kid.

Here's why I think Skull Kid has a more than 0% chance of happening.

I think there's a solid chance they've heard the desire for a new Zelda character. Nintendo is picking again and they've already shown willingness to pick their own IP. Potentially even an assist trophy if it's Spring Man. They could very easily want to add a Zelda character and we Skull Kid fans definitely made the biggest impact.

It's simple logic, but one I think shows the possibility

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think there's a solid chance they've heard the desire for a new Zelda character. Nintendo is picking again and they've already shown willingness to pick their own IP. Potentially even an assist trophy if it's Spring Man. They could very easily want to add a Zelda character and we Skull Kid fans definitely made the biggest impact.

I think if another Assist Trophy get's promoted besides Spring Man it will most likely be Waluigi followed by Isaac and whoever else afterwards. Skull Kid I see being in the top 5 here.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think if another Assist Trophy get's promoted besides Spring Man it will most likely be Waluigi followed by Isaac and whoever else afterwards. Skull Kid I see being in the top 5 here.
I know that's what a lot of people say, but a lot of people would have assumed Waluigi first over everyone, yet if it's happening, it's gonna be Spring Man, I wouldn't put money Waluigi or Isaac (or anyone really) having priority over the others.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know that's what a lot of people say, but a lot of people would have assumed Waluigi first over everyone, yet if it's happening, it's gonna be Spring Man, I wouldn't put money Waluigi or Isaac (or anyone really) having priority over the others.
But still, Skull Kid would get in for the same reasons Waluigi or Isaac would get in: Popularity. Spring Man while also popular is more of a promotional pick chosen by Nintendo themselves to probably promote the unannounced soon to come Arms 2.

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
Please do not import off-site drama to the boards. If you have an issue with someone off Smashboards, hash it out in Discord, Twitter, etc; not here. We do not tolerate harassment/trolling/doxxing/etc of users in other platforms on Smashboards either. I will be removing any offending posts So please refrain from this topic of discussion. However, if you feel that there should be staff action against bad actors here on the site due to questionable behavior; please contact us directly or make a case in Ask a Mod or Ask an Admin in the Help section. Please keep in mind we can’t take action against users for off-site behavior but, if you suspect that this behavior extends to on Smashboards, please bring this to the staff’s attention. Regardless, please talk something else related to Skull Kid.
Seriously, I was able to get away with the leader saying the s*** word multiple times but a small text from one unimportant guy who said the word once is a no-go? Fine, whatever, let's talk about SkullKid instead, just note that I'm not lying and I did show evidence. Btw don't pretend the Assist Alliance is in a good condition, it's not, has been split into 3 parts and has cryptic and weird videos to go with it. Anyways more on SkullKid's chances...

I agree that SkullKid's chances may be raised if Spring Man is introduced as a fighter, but I don't think his chances are increased by a lot. I'd give him maybe a 2-3% max, but that's just my opinion because I bet even Waluigi doesn't have that high of a chance to get in, even if ATs are confirmed to be able to be playable. Waluigi's chances are definitely higher than SkullKid's, but not by that much (maybe a 5-10% chance depending on wether the characters have already been chosen or are still in the choosing and how vocal the community will be). Not trying to be too pessimistic, just realistic. Honestly if SkullKid does get in this would be a really cool comeback for us and the character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seriously, I was able to get away with the leader saying the s*** word multiple times but a small text from one unimportant guy who said the word once is a no-go? Fine, whatever, let's talk about SkullKid instead, just note that I'm not lying and I did show evidence. Btw don't pretend the Assist Alliance is in a good condition, it's not, has been split into 3 parts and has cryptic and weird videos to go with it. Anyways more on SkullKid's chances...
That's not what why the post was removed; stirring up off-site drama isn't allowed in general. Like Venus clearly stated, there are plenty of ways to bring this to the attention of the staff if you feel like action needs to be taken.

DualGaming

Smash Apprentice
That's not what why the post was removed; stirring up off-site drama isn't allowed in general. Like Venus clearly stated, there are plenty of ways to bring this to the attention of the staff if you feel like action needs to be taken.
Huh, well alright, I guess that rule makes sense so I'll try to respect it. I don't want the staff here to do anything unless it's removing someone that I'm pretty sure isn't even going to respond or talk here for a really long while and I am very certain that everyone in the staff already hates me and have heard bad things about me in the Assist Alliance. Anyways this is going kind of off-topic now so I recommend someone to steer the conversation back to SkullKid, I got nothing.

Top Bottom