• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If Skull Kid doesn't end up being playable can we all finally come to agree, when you consider the series' treament when it comes to Smash, that Sakurai really doesn't give a **** about Zelda?
It'd be safe to assume, for sure. Zelda is just too neglected, you can feel it like for Donkey Kong. I don't even think pushing for Skull Kid after Ultimate will matter since we may not see another Smash for a long time. It just sound too risky.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Sakurai has anything against Zelda truth be told. It's really just a matter of most of the time, whenever there's an option for a new character there are also enough unfortunate circumstances to keep them out. Sakurai bias really isn't as existent as some people claim.

But I would still like a new Zelda character that isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganon all in all. Skull Kid in particular is one I'd be very curious on. I don't spend a lot of time imagining a moveset for him, so I'm interested to see, if he does get in the game, if his moveset is one that could wow me more than I'm expecting.

Count me in as a supporter.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The problem is that the other popular Zelda characters besides Impa are only in one game.

Metroid doesn't have many characters to work with that are not Samus.

Donkey Kong does and probably should have 4 characters. I think with DK is that the series was neglected for a while and its main villain hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's. So it really didn't cross Sakurai's radar

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The problem is that the other popular Zelda characters besides Impa are only in one game.

Metroid doesn't have many characters to work with that are not Samus.

Donkey Kong does and probably should have 4 characters. I think with DK is that the series was neglected for a while and its main villain hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's. So it really didn't cross Sakurai's radar
Being in only one game is only a problem if you want it to be.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Got the game, Looking forward to playing it soon.

View attachment 164494
If you ever can play the original i highly suggest it. There are some dumb things changed to the 3ds version that were completely unnecesary… but it's still a decent game, it just could've been better if they didn't do "such" things. I would share a video mentioning them but it could probably spoil things to you so dunno… but yeah, have fun anyway!

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
"Okay so we got Ganondorf, Zelda, wait...two Zeldas? ...and THREE LINKS?!"

Skull Kid, Impa, and Tingle for DLC.
I can very easily see Skull Kid, Impa and Hilda coming together in a DLC pack. One newcomer and two echoes. I'm not against Tingle being playable, but I can't envision it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I disagree, the 3DS version is better than the N64 version in just about every regard. I just wish we'd gotten remade music like WWHD and TPHD.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I really enjoyed the 3DS version and all of its changes. Only things I prefer about the original are the Goht boss and how the ice arrows function. The ice arrows particularly pissed me off.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I disagree, the 3DS version is better than the N64 version in just about every regard. I just wish we'd gotten remade music like WWHD and TPHD.
l dunno, I really like the original MM soundtrack. I'm actually kind of glad they were too lazy to remake it.
But I'm the kind of guy who wishes Pokémon HGSS had made the GB Sounds available from the beginning. :mad088:

Edit: Then again, you know, I don't really notice the differences in WW and TP, so whatever, haha

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
l dunno, I really like the original MM soundtrack. I'm actually kind of glad they were too lazy to remake it.
But I'm the kind of guy who wishes Pokémon HGSS had made the GB Sounds available from the beginning. :mad088:

Edit: Then again, you know, I don't really notice the differences in WW and TP, so whatever, haha
It's not a huge deal, and I'm sure they didn't do it because the 3DS's speakers and sound probably wouldn't have made it worth it. They didn't do it for OoT either. And it's not like the original music is bad or anything! MM has an amazing soundtrack. I just would've loved official Nintendo orchestrations for it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
They made it possible to control the Zora in tight passages without running into walls. As for the bosses...agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Zelda and Metroid have been treated poorly in Smash design in general. Samus plays nothing like her games, and I'm not saying giving her only shots, but actually using stuff from her games for once, because almost all of her basic attacks are punches, kicks and for some weird reason a made up flamethrower. No ice beam, plasma beam, speed booster, etcx100...

Same problem with the Zelda characters. In a perfect world, Link, Young Link and Toon Link would have 3 completely different moveset, each one picking and choosing characteristics and items from different games. That way you would even be able to make a fourth Link and still have moveset enough for him to be totally unique. But no, we get 3 semiclones. In that world obviously Ganondorf would fight using powerful dark magic and swords... You get my idea.

With how Sakurai insists on preserving old moveset, skull kid would be the first truly new moveset from the Zelda franchise since MELEE! That's nuts.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While it's true Zelda gets poor character treatment, and I think there's enough demand for another that this time we're getting one, even if we have to wait for DLC

That said, Zelda gets phenomenal treatment regarding stages.

Every stage returns in addition to a brand new stage. That's more than Pokemon. And those stages are among the best in the series.

Series staple Hyrule Castle, first from Alttp, using it's first 3D design from Oot

A Zelda 2 inspired stage that really captures the mood of a series Dungeon,

Great Bay with an awesome view of the moon in the background and giants. Tingle and Turtle guest star.

Bridge of Eldin, home of the awesome showdown with King Bulblin. Beautiful view of the tp world and features Twilight portal.

You can't get more Wind Water than Pirate Ship. King of Red Lion, Storms, islands and even Sea post that try to bomb you

Gerudo Valley, very memorable spot where Link jumps the gap as Epona. Also features Twinrova and is the birth place of Ganondorf. The attention to detail is beautiful here.

Spirit Train, brilliant! Captures the world of Spirit Tracks so well. Guest stars the phantom trains and even Linebecks hut

Great Plateau Tower, pretty much the first area stage from the series. And it gives us a great view of the game!

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Majora's Mask 3D is a terrible remake of a fantastic game that makes so many changes that range from unnecessary to flat out ruining. Just know that if you've never played MM before you'd actually be having a lesser experience with the game.

eh

Chrom, Lucina and Robin not only are in only one game, but all three are from the same game
Yeah it really makes me think.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That is entirely subjective. Majora's Mask was already my favorite Zelda game, but the remake just made it better in every way for me. And the QoL changes alone make it much more friendly to new players.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Yeah a lot of those changes were to casualize the game. I'm amazed these same people left OoT3D almost untouched aside from that dumb Sheikah hint stone they added.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah a lot of those changes were to casualize the game. I'm amazed these same people left OoT3D almost untouched aside from that dumb Sheikah hint stone they added.
I don't see how it's dumb when you can just ignore it.

MM isn't a perfect remake, I definitely prefer the bosses, Deku and Zora controls of the original. But appreciate the updated visual, double song of time, extra save spots and just the general 3DS updates carried over from Oot 3D.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
A game being "casualized" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love MM, but it was often obtuse, and a lot of that has been improved upon. Changes that make the game friendlier to new players, especially ones who may have previously been put off, are a good thing.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
So, it might be a dead topic now, but I just wanted to prove to myself that you could totally just smoosh the characters a little on the box and it wouldn't look bad. An hour of time spent in photoshop to prove it though? Maybe time not well spent.
Uguguhgag.png

Attachments

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
A game being "casualized" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love MM, but it was often obtuse, and a lot of that has been improved upon. Changes that make the game friendlier to new players, especially ones who may have previously been put off, are a good thing.
Actively ruining things is not an improvement at all. I figured out the game when I was a kid. No reason why kids today couldn't unless they are actually are getting dumber lol.

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
Actively ruining things is not an improvement at all. I figured out the game when I was a kid. No reason why kids today couldn't unless they are actually are getting dumber lol.
That's just elitism. Gaming has evolved to the better, things that before were an annoyance now are not there. You are entitled to disliking changes in a remake, but hating on "casualising" just means you consider casual an insult, and with that lack of empathy why even bother, you won't help anybody that didn't play it enjoy it.

So, it might be a dead topic now, but I just wanted to prove to myself that you could totally just smoosh the characters a little on the box and it wouldn't look bad. An hour of time spent in photoshop to prove it though? Maybe time not well spent.
That's great! Definitely appreciated, let's hope it's enough to stop the box from becoming the whole smash conversation at least!

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
itt: people trying to pretend they never liked how fun it was zipping around Great Bay as a zora.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I mean, I disagree that anything was ruined, so...not sure there's any headway to be made here.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That's just elitism. Gaming has evolved to the better, things that before were an annoyance now are not there. You are entitled to disliking changes in a remake, but hating on "casualising" just means you consider casual an insult, and with that lack of empathy why even bother, you won't help anybody that didn't play it enjoy it.

That's great! Definitely appreciated, let's hope it's enough to stop the box from becoming the whole smash conversation at least!
I don't think we have to worry too much of the box, it seems a lot of people mght be thinking now the blank spots could just be blank spots.

Or at least I am anyway. I'm just going to wait and see. I can see there being only one unique character, but only one echo I must admit feels wrong.

Smash Apprentice
Many of the changes in MM3D weren't "casualizing" (although some like the ice arrow sparkles certainly were). Twinmold in MM3D is much, much harder than he is in the original. Eliminating momentum conservation from Deku spinning off a lilypad makes navigating the swamp harder.

Doing the beaver race is harder because you need to constantly be getting magic from jars as fast swimming only works when you're doing the electric shield.

So I'm baffled why they made those changes, they didn't even make the game easier.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Basically making things more tedious, more time consuming in a game where you can't afford to waste time, and less fun.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we have to worry too much of the box, it seems a lot of people mght be thinking now the blank spots could just be blank spots.

Or at least I am anyway. I'm just going to wait and see. I can see there being only one unique character, but only one echo I must admit feels wrong.
Yeah, I actually refuse to believe that Sakurai would leave only 2 more characters to be revealed for now until December. Not happening, not with this game and how hard it's being pushed.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I actually refuse to believe that Sakurai would leave only 2 more characters to be revealed for now until December.
Agreed, but remember that fully unique characters/semi-clones are not the same as Echoes. It could be very possible that we only get 2-3 more of those alongside 2-3 more echoes. I expect the October/November Direct to reveal about as much as the August Direct.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, I actually refuse to believe that Sakurai would leave only 2 more characters to be revealed for now until December. Not happening, not with this game and how hard it's being pushed.
100% agreed with this.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
about MM3D idk, it has been long since I played the original (on the Virtual Console) but I felt I had more fun back then, than in my current MM3D playthrough. As in, I'm actually preferring OoT3D over it, which was unthinkable back in 2012-2013. Not sure if the game didn't age well to me or the remake has something off

Agreed. Sakurai knows us too well, if he only had two characters aside from the ones already shown he'd know better than announcing 5 characters in one Direct instead of spacing out reveals better

Last edited:
Top Bottom