• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Dedede: how do you want it implemented?

Masked Dedede

• New Final Smash

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Alt Costume

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Personally I'd be fine with Waddle Dee Army returning as it's one of my favorite Final Smashes in Brawl, but this...oh this...

...THIS would get just as hyped as I was when I saw the first trailer for SSB4 itself.

I think Masked Dedede would be a pretty epic transformation FS, having increased stats, being able to shoot missiles, spew fire, send out electric shockwaves, perform a powerful spin-attack, etc. If you ask me it's got some pretty darn big potential for a unique transformation Final Smash.

I feel it would be kind of hard to implement, but a character with a mechanic like that of Rosalina & Luma's would've seemed hard to implement as well, so at this point it's certainly not impossible in that regard.

However, in term of likeliness, Masked Dedede seemed like kind of brief, one-time thing in SuperStar's DS remake. Unless he shows up with this Mask and Hammer in Triple Deluxe I don't think getting a Final Smash like this is likely at all.

Thoughts on Masked Dedede?

EDIT: I see someone else made a Masked Dedede thread as well. Could someone merge the two Masked Dedede threads please?

SECOND EDIT: Threads are merged now. Thanks Fal!

Last edited:

Masked Dedede was a boss in Kirby Super Star Ultra; Dedede donned a mask, channeled his inner Meta-knight (with hilarious results), and challenged Kirby to a showdown with his new hammer. This get-up is pretty popular and could be worked into the game. Two of the most obvious ways is to either make it his new final smash or make it an alternate costume. Which would you prefer?

Final Smash: King Dedede summons his new Hammer and gets a few new moves: electric hammer slam, a invincible spin, and the hammer also has a built in flamethrower and rocket launcher. He runs around like this for about 30 seconds with a beefed up moveset Here's a example:

[COLLAPSE=Potintal FS moveset]
Here's a rough idea:

B: Suction: Generally the same. Dedede awkwardly moves his mask and does his suction move. Maybe beef it up with more range.(:29 seconds in the video)

Over B: Missile launch: Dedede quickly put the hammer by his side, holding it by the top. The front opens and three missiles blast out. One drifts perfectly straight, one drifts upward, and the last one drifts downward. (Couldn't find the move in the video, but the stance he takes is at 1:34)

Down B: Electric Slam: Dedede slams the hammer down sending out a shockwave that travels across the stage. (:45 in the video)

Up B: Triple Bounce: King Dedede does his Up B like normal, but after he lands he instantly leaps back into the air. He'll do this two more times, increasing speed and power. You can control his direction as soon as he's airborne. (1:27 seconds in the video I posted.)

All of his hammer based attacks have increased damage, range, and have electrical properties. His running A is now the devastating invincible spin attack. (:48 in the video posted.)
[/COLLAPSE]

Alt costume: His giant new hammer would have to be slightly adjusted, but Masked Dedede would be a pretty solid alternate costume. Adding electric effects to his hammer based attacks would be a nice touch.

You beat me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't know, I don't really fancy transformation final smashes so much, and they really shouldn't be very common. I wouldn't mind it, but I'm fine with the Waddle Dee Army.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I voted for an alternate costume. No need to make a new Final Smash when the one he already has serves its purpose fine. Besides, he doesn't have many other options for a costume.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Edited my Masked Dedede thread with a request to merge the two of them.

And honestly I'd be perfectly fine if Masked Dedede ends up being just an alt., but a Final Smash would make me much happier.

Edited my Masked Dedede thread with a request to merge the two of them.

And honestly I'd be perfectly fine if Masked Dedede ends up being just an alt., but a Final Smash would make me much happier.
Yours was first, if one needs to go it's this one. I say we add the moveset to your OP (If you want) ,edit how ever you like, and call it a day.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
If Dedede got an alt costume, I would like to see Samurai Dedede from Quick Draw used.

I vote for Final Smash.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Masked Dedede has too much potential as a final smash.

Being a costume wouldn't serve it well. Let the Samurai Dedede be a costume.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Do you think Masked Dedede is disconfirmed thanks to his Jet hammer?
I'm not sure on that one. Both hammers are mechanical and all with the Jet Hammer attack, but the Hammer used in the Masked Dedede fight is far more advanced, and appeared in a game that came out after Brawl. And aside from Jet Hammer possibly being the inspiration for Masked Dedede's hammer, the the move and the upgraded hammer seem to be unrelated. I think the only to be certain of Masked Dedede's disconfirmation as a Final Smash is if it's shown to be something else or if Waddle Dee Army is shown to return.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I agree with Peacock, samurai Dedede should be his alt. costume.

Masked Dedede would work well as a final smash since honestly his Brawl one sucks (maybe they could combine the two).

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
if anyone gets a transformation final smashed it should be the pokemon that may make an appearance such a mewtwo into mewtwo y (Cuz mewtwo x in a fghting type and would probably be wierd if the moveset remains the same.)and lucario into mega and such, or maybe other pokes with megas that may or may not appear. i don't think it's a good idea to put transformations on to manny characters.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Are you guys forgetting about the beast that was HR-D3 from Kirby's Return to Dreamland? (Or if you want to go farther, from the Kirby Adventure E3 2005 trailer.)

Capture26.PNG

Look at how badass that looks. Now this thing has a lot more final smash potential than Masked Dedede could ever have. Masked Dedede would be awesome as an alternate skin, I mean, a different hammer and a sick looking mask to boot, I'd choose that in a heartbeat. But its seems from here anything can happen in development, Sakurai can really be unpredictable at times.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

MASKED DEDEDE!

In Kirby Super Star Ultra, a remake of Kirby Super Star, a few more sub-games where added,
One of which being Revenge of The King, basically a hard mode of Springe Breeze.
After fighting revamped bosses and enemies, when you make it to Mt. Dedede,
you go back in the arena you originally fought King Dedede in Springe Breeze,
but you are offered a hammer before you fight, much like how Meta Knight offers you a sword.
Once the battle begins, Dedede is shown to now have a Metal Mask, and a Mechanized, electric powered hammer.
This form is known as Masked Dedede!
If Masked a Dedede made it into Smash Bros., he would most likely be a transformation for King Dedede, whether that be a Down B swap, a temporary FS one like Wario-Man or Giga-Bowser, or a full FS transformation like Zero-Suit Samus, I do not know. Though I would prefer the third one.

Is He an Eligible Newcomer?:
SECTION COMING SOON!

Moveset Possibilties:
His Moveset would probably consist of using his new mech hammer, and could use electric attacks in a Pikachu-esque way.
[collapse=Mecha Hammer]
INFO COMING SOON!
[/collapse]

Movesets:
None yet, please post yours!

Roster Maker and Siganture Icons:
None yet, please make some and post them here!

List of Supporters:
Mega Bidoof

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This could easily be just a King Dedede alt costume. I'm moving this to the King Dedede subforum.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't want to rub salt on the wound, but since the thread was in the Dedede sub-forum, I believe the threads should be merged. Sorry Mega Bidoof.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't want to rub salt on the wound, but since the thread was in the Dedede sub-forum, I believe the threads should be merged. Sorry Mega Bidoof.
While there is an already existing Masked Dedede sub-thread, it focuses on how people would want it to be implemented, and his Likliness.

While my Masked Dedede thread is a support thread, and covers the abilities, moveset possibilities, statistics if Masked Dedede became a character, and overall Masked Dedede as a playable character, while the other one examines Masked Dedede as an appearing entity.

They are different threads overall, and should be different, as they focus on different topics about Masked Dedede.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For a FS, I just want these four attacks:
Neutral-B:Super Inhale. Creates a giant inhale that is 3 times the width of his regular Inhale.
Side-B: Dedede Ultra Spin. Allows Dedde to charge into a powerful Hammer attack, he cannot jump while using this.
Down-B: Missile Rampage. Can be aimed at any direction.
Up-B: Ultra Dedede Jump. Allows Dedede to jumpmore than 3 times and fast fall.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
For a FS, I just want these four attacks:
Neutral-B:Super Inhale. Creates a giant inhale that is 3 times the width of his regular Inhale.
Side-B: Dedede Ultra Spin. Allows Dedde to charge into a powerful Hammer attack, he cannot jump while using this.
Down-B: Missile Rampage. Can be aimed at any direction.
Up-B: Ultra Dedede Jump. Allows Dedede to jumpmore than 3 times and fast fall.
This is basically what I want.
He would remain in this form until he either dies, in which case he will respawn as his normal self, or if someone damages him to a certain point where his mask breaks, in which case he automatically returns to his normal self.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
If the Wii U game gets an adventure mode like Melee, I think Masked Dedede would be a fun opponent, with the mask being an alternate costume.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Voted FS. It's a more powerful form of Dedede. It's not something he puts on for fun! Since the hammer is completely different too and all, it should actually inherit a gameplay change and not just be a costume.

Plus, I'm not really a fan of the waddle dee one.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Isn't Masked Dedede's Hammer actually the origin of the Jet Hammer?

I really like Waddle Dee Army as a Final Smash and it should stay that way. I love the goofy dance Dedede does as if he's conducting his minions. Oh, and dat music! Wouldn't want to loose that for another generic transformation (which makes me regret my vote.)

That being said, the alt costume option is very much possible. Some special effects should be changed to better reflect the accented powers though. Like start-shaped particles for the Inhale and more electric effects with the Jet Hammer and maybe some smashes and tilts. Although, I prefer the Samurai Dedede from Quick Draw (same for Meta Knight if Nintendo doesn't want to acknowledge the concept art seen in Dream Collection's art book).

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well since he doesn't use waddle dees as his side special I could see this be a new final smash

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Personally, I'm beginning finding both possibilities increasingly more likely, with Little Mac's wire-frame costume, it's become clear that characters can receive new and unique types of costumes, so Masked Dedede as an alternate costume is easily possible. With Waddle Dee Toss appearing to be gone, this means King Dedede's old Final Smash is likely gone as well. Masked Dedede IMO is THE perfect choice for a new Final Smash, I don't know what else it could be otherwise. Waddle Dee Army was kind of a random FS, sure, but it did suit his role in a way, having a huge number of Waddle Dees and Doos as his primary minions in the games and the anime. But the way it was executed...it didn't really suit his personality.

Furthermore, Luigi's new Final Smash appears to involve the Poltergust 5000, from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. The Poltergust has only appeared in a small number of games, specifically the Luigi's Mansion series (a kart designed after the two Poltergusts appears in Mario Kart DS as well) Masked Dedede's hammer and mask have only been used in a small number of Kirby games as well.

Overall, I'm finding the possibility of Masked Dedede being the great King's new Final Smash to be quite likely and the most likely outcome for Masked Dedede in Smash 4.

Now that Waddle Dee Toss is out I really think Masked Dedede is a Final Smash. The moveset I posted would really gel well now that Dedede has a heavy projectile. Heavy missiles coming out feels like a logical FS twist.

Top Bottom