• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marx Rolls In! - "Now I can cause all the mischief I want!" - Dream Friend DLC Has Launched!

LYD

Smash Rookie
Hello, fellow Marx supporters :]

Marx has recently been growing more and more on me as a character so I decided to create a moveset for it. While I’d like to see Bandana Dee before Marx, I still love both of them and—honestly—I don’t think anyone would mind Kirby getting more than one newcomer, especially when some franchises like Fire Emblem are a bit over represented when compared to Kirby. But that’s beside the point. I’m very happy with the acknowledgment Marx got in Ultimate but I believe he could still be made a character. So without further ado, here’s the moveset I’ve created for it:
Characteristics

Pallete Swaps:
  • Original
    • Body: Purple
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Red
    • Left-half of the hat: Blue
    • Shoes: Brown
  • Swap #1
    • Body: Red
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Orange
    • Left-half of the hat: Purple
    • Shoes: Olive
  • Swap #2
    • Body: Orange
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Yellow
    • Left-half of the hat: Red
    • Shoes: Olivine
  • Swap #3
    • Body: Yellow
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Lime
    • Left-half of the hat: Orange
    • Shoes: Viridian
  • Swap #4
    • Body: Lime
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Green
    • Left-half of the hat: Yellow
    • Shoes: Teal
  • Swap #5
    • Body: Green
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Cyan
    • Left-half of the hat: Lime
    • Shoes: Indigo
  • Swap #6
    • Body: Cyan
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Blue
    • Left-half of the hat: Green
    • Shoes: Violet
  • Swap #7
    • Body: Blue
    • Right-half of the hat & tie: Purple
    • Left-half of the hat: Cyan
    • Shoes: Crimson

Attributes:
  • Number of Jumps: 6 (opens wings on jumps 2 to 6)
  • Weight: 80 (same as Meta Knight and ZSS)
  • Walk Speed: 1 (same as Mii Gunner)
  • Run Speed: 2 (same as Diddy Kong)
  • Air Speed: 1 (same as Palutena and Piranha Plant) (increased by 20% with open wings (same as Inkling, Sonic, Little Mac, Mario, and Donkey Kong))
  • Falling Speed: 1.6 (same as Link, R.O.B., Ryu, and Ken) (decresed by 20% with open wings (same as Rosalina))

Animations:
  • Entrance: Marx teleports his way into the battlefield.
  • Forward Taunt: Marx summons a Jester Ball and bounces on it.
  • Up Taunt: Marx’s eyes become black and float around until they return to Marx.
  • Down Taunt: Marx splits in half. Both sides glow the same color as the corresponding half of the hat. Then Marx joins up again.
  • Victory Pose #1: Marx performs a short hop and a kick in the air, akin to his animation from Star Allies.
  • Victory Pose #2: Marx bounces above a Jester Ball
  • Victory Pose #3: Marx comes out of a shadow and spins on the air with his wings open.

Standard Moves

Standard Attack:
Marx performs a quick forward kick. The second hit has Marx kick with his other foot. And lastly, Marx headbutts his opponent for the last hit. All three are fast and average damaging, and the headbutt has above average knockback.

Forward Tilt:
Marx opens his wings and swipes both of them forward. Poor range, but very quick and strong.

Up Tilt:
Marx opens his wings and swipes them upward both in front and behind him. Very fast move with good damage and average knockback.

Down Tilt:
Marx opens his wings and swipes them downward both in front and behind him. Very fast move with really good damage but small knockback.

Dash Attack:
Marx rolls on the ground twice keeping forward momentum. The move acts as a multi-hit move and deals solid damage. Unlike most Dash Attacks this move has little endlag.

Forward Smash:
Marx releases a pink fiery vine on his front and back that grow in a divergent shape. Little startlag with good damage and knockback growth but a short range and considerable endlag. The move can be charged for further range and power but the closer the opponent is to Marx the more damage and knockback they receive.

Up Smash:
Marx’s eyes quickly turn black and float above him for a dark explosion. The move has average speed, damage, and endlag, but great knockback. Can be charged for further damage and knockback at the expense of more startlag.

Down Smash:
Marx plants two seeds that let loose two thorny vines that grows vertically, one in front of him, the other behind. This move acts as multi-hit while the vines grow, and when they’re done growing, roses grow from the thorns for a finishing hit with powerful knockback. This move does back a bit of lag. The move can be charged so the vines grow higher and the rose blossom deals more damage and knockback, but the move naturally has a rather sizeable startlag already.

Aerial Moves

Neutral Aerial:
Marx does a quick middair spin with his wings open. Minuscule startlag and landing lag, but measly damage and knockback.

Forward Aerial:
Marx performs a strong forward charge. Has some above average startlag, endlag, and landing lag, but is has deadly knockback growth.

Back Aerial:
Marx charges backwards using his wings. Similarly to Forward Aerial has some above average startlag, endlag, and landing lag, but powerful knockback growth and slightly more damage than the Forward counterpart.

Up Aerial:
Marx performs a quick upward kick. Small damage and average knockback but pretty fast.

Down Aerial:
Marx performs a quick downward kick. Small damage and average knockback but pretty fast.

Grab-Related Moves

Grab:
Marx quickly jumps above his opponents and steps above them while they get curled into a ball. In this state, Marx can move while rolling the foe below him. However opponents can mash out after some time.

Pummel:
Marx spins the opponent below him while staying on place. This move deals massive damage.

Forward Throw:
Marx kicks his opponent forward. Average damage and surprising knockback.

Back Throw:
Marx kicks the ball backward. Above average damage and knockback.

Up Throw:
Marx kicks his opponent upward but with a slight inclination forward. Average damage and knockback.

Down Throw:
Marx jumps and presses his opponent against the ground, strong damage, but measly knockback.

Special Moves

Neutral Special (Jester Ball):
If Marx triggers the move on the ground and there isn’t a Jester Ball on the screen:
  • Marx quickly summons a Jester Ball and jumps on it. He can move around above the Ball, albeit his movement is very slidy and quirky, not to mention a much lower acceleration. Marx can be kicked out of the Ball and the Ball can be kicked away from Marx too. However, a reasonable knockback is needed to separate them. Marx can also jump with the ball.
If Marx triggers the move on the ground above a Jester Ball:
  • Marx kicks his Jester Ball with little lag, the Ball moves faster and bounces off the ground, being affected by gravity.
If Marx triggers the move on the air and there isn’t a Jester Ball on the screen:
  • Marx spits a Ball out of his mouth that goes completely vertical, average lag.
If Marx triggers the move while there’s a Jester Ball on the screen and he’s not mounted on it:
  • The Jester Ball immediately explodes in a tight radius, with surprising damage and knockback.
If Marx triggers the move and keeps the button held for long enough:
  • An option to give Marx an element comes up in a similar fashion to Shulk’s Monado Arts after the B button is help for a couple of frames. Marx can add special quirks to all of his specials. The effects go away after Marx is KOed or charges B and doesn’t select any element.
  • Blizzard Marx:
    • Blizzard Marx has slightly reduced speed and jump height.
    • Blizzard Jester Ball travels slightly slower and instead of exploding releases two ice balls that travel horizontally without being affected by gravity. They briefly freeze any opponent they hit.
    • Blizzard Arrow Surfeit releases icicles instead of arrows that move slower but have a brief freeze time when they hit an opponent.
    • Blizzard Baffling Teleportation briefly freezes opponents caught in the move’s sweetspot.
    • Blizzard Shadow Travel has Marx move slower when submerged but, when emerging, he releases four stalagmites in the angles 70, 80, 100, and 110 in relation to the horizontal that act in a similar fashion to the Blizzard Arrows they also briefly freeze opponents.
    • Blizzard Crescent Blades move slower but also gain a very brief freezing period.
    • Blizzard Jocular Beam has a lot less knockback, but it freezes opponents for a considerable time.
  • Bluster Marx
    • Bluster Marx moves faster and has extra jump height. He also floats middair for a couple frames after a Jester Ball jump.
    • Bluster Jester Ball moves significantly faster and has a decreased falling speed but deals less damage. When exploding, the damage is decreased but the knockback is increased.
    • Bluster Arrow Surfeit creates a gust that pushes opponents alongside the Arrows. They also gain a bit of extra knockback.
    • Bluster Baffling Teleportation gives Marx a bit more distance.
    • Bluster Shadow Travel means Marx Travels faster when submerged and makes Marx ascend with a gust that pushes opponents upwards, easing the follow-up.
    • Bluster Crescent Blades also push opponents slightly and move faster.
    • Bluster Jocular Beam deals less damage, but has an even bigger knockback growth and slightly less endlag.
  • Sizzle Marx
    • Sizzle Marx has slightly reduced speed and jump height.
    • Sizzle Jester Ball moves slower. The explosion deals extra damage and knockback.
    • Sizzle Arrow Surfeit has fiery arrows instead. They do slightly more damage and go slower.
    • Sizzle Baffling Teleportation deals extra damage throughout all of the hitbox.
    • Sizzle Shadow Travel has Marx move slower when submerged but he releases four fireballs in the angles 70, 80, 100, and 110 in relation to the horizontal that act in a similar fashion to the Sizzle Arrows when he emerges.
    • Sizzle Crescent Blades move slower but deal extra damage.
    • Sizzle Jocular Beam deals more damage and knockback at the cost of extra endlag.
  • Splash Marx
    • Splash Marx moves faster and has extra jump height. He gains even more speed when riding a Jester Ball.
    • Splash Jester Ball moves significantly faster and has a decreased falling speed but deals less damage. When exploding, the damage is decreased but the knockback is increased.
    • Splash Arrow Surfeit creates a water flow that pushes opponents alongside the Arrows. They also gain a bit of extra knockback.
    • Splash Baffling Teleportation gives Marx a bit more distance.
    • Splash Shadow Travel means Marx Travels faster when submerged and makes Marx ascend with a pump of water that pushes opponents upwards, easing the follow-up.
    • Splash Crescent Blades also push opponents slightly and move faster.
    • Splash Jocular Beam deals less damage, but has an even bigger knockback growth and slightly less endlag.
  • Zap Marx
    • Zap Marx has slightly reduced speed and jump height.
    • Zap Jester Ball travels slightly slower and instead of exploding releases a thunder that strikes anything above the explosion. The thunder briefly stuns any opponent they hit.
    • Zap Arrow Surfeit releases light arrows that move slower but have a brief stun time when they hit an opponent.
    • Zap Baffling Teleportation briefly stuns opponents caught in the move’s sweetspot.
    • Zap Shadow Travel has Marx move slower when submerged but, when emerging, he releases four lightnings in the angles 70, 80, 100, and 110 in relation to the horizontal that act in a similar fashion to the Blizzard Arrows they also briefly freeze opponents.
    • Zap Crescent Blades move slower but also gain a very stun freezing period.
    • Zap Jocular Beam has a lot less knockback, but it stuns opponents for a considerable time

Side Special (Arrow Surfeit):
Marx releases a bunch of arrows, that deal measly damage and knockback. However, if hit by all of them this move can rack up plenty of damage. It does pack considerable endlag though.

Up Special (Baffling Teleportation):
Marx disappeares and reappers after a couple frames moving a reasonable distance. However, the startlag and endlag are minuscule, so this can be used as a combobreaker of sorts. This move can be angled in any direction, but without further input it goes perfectly upward. Both region where Marx appears and disappears have a sizeable hitbox that deal small damage and knockback. However, if this move is sweetspotted in the very center of the hitbox, it will do massive damage and knockback. This move can be used more than once in the air, but for as long as Marx doesn’t land, the distance traveled is halved each additional time the move is used, and the lag is increased by 25% each additional use as well.

Down Special (Shadow Travel, Crescent Blades, & Jocular Beam):
If Marx triggers the move on the ground:
  • Marx submerges on the ground as a shadow and can freely move for up to about a second. When that time is over or Marx presses B it then quickly emerges out of the ground. If B is press and held, though, Marx comes out with his wings wide open performing a multi-hit attack that lasts for a couple frames for as long as the B button is kept held. The last hit has a big knockback growth. The whole move deals considerable damage too.
If Marx triggers the move on the air:
  • Marx releases four Crescent-shaped Blades in the angles 0, -60, -120, and 180 starting from the horizontal. They go straight for an average distance, then return to wherever Marx is. The move has small startlag and average endlag. It does average damage but small knockback.
If Marx charges the move for a while:
  • Marx instead releases a laser beam, that deals big damage and has a surprising knockback growth. However, the move does leave him with big endlag. Can be used either on the ground or airborne.

Final Smash (Black Hole Split):
Marx splits in two and creates a big black hole. Any characters receive massive amounts of damage upwards of 100%, but no knockback at all. Marx then joins back and gains a couple frames of invincibility.
I’d appreciate it if my moveset could be added to the OP as well as my name as a supporter. Thanks for reading :]

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Can I become a supporter? I love Marx He is one of the best Kirby villains And I would love to support him.
And I am sad to say it however He is less dead than Geno Because he showed up in Kirby Star Allies & Smash Ultimate...
WAIT Does That mean that he is deconfirmed? He is a boss in WOL & Classic mode.
(PS) Does anyone have a Smaller Marx stock?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can I become a supporter? I love Marx He is one of the best Kirby villains And I would love to support him.
And I am sad to say it however He is less dead than Geno Because he showed up in Kirby Star Allies & Smash Ultimate...
WAIT Does That mean that he is deconfirmed? He is a boss in WOL & Classic mode.
(PS) Does anyone have a Smaller Marx stock?
He is deconfirmed, but supporting him now is the best way to support him for the next game, it worked for Ridley and Chrom after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Never knew much about Marx until recently. But now that I've watched some Kirby series boss fights of him on YouTube, I understand now why this character is so popular. He probably would have given me the creeps if I was little; his retro theme song is a lot eerier than the remix in Smash. Also, I can see how he would work in Smash.

I wonder if the war between Galeem and Dharkon was inspired by the whole Sun and Moon fight. If so, then that was a pretty clever reference.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Never knew much about Marx until recently. But now that I've watched some Kirby series boss fights of him on YouTube, I understand now why this character is so popular. He probably would have given me the creeps if I was little; his retro theme song is a lot eerier than the remix in Smash. Also, I can see how he would work in Smash.

I wonder if the war between Galeem and Dharkon was inspired by the whole Sun and Moon fight. If so, then that was a pretty clever reference.
Damn, I never even thought about that. Sasuga, Sakurai.

Also, I would have been surprised by Marx if I hadn't learned/was spoiled about him (and by proxy KSS) via Nintendo Power's game endings/final boss article they had, way before I got the game. :p

I was more creeped out by Zero, if anything.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Marx's fight kind of makes we wish we DID get that rumored fight with Skull Kid. A lot of love was put into these Bosses, with Marx immediately springing to mind.

RNG_Lemon

Smash Rookie
NNID
2coolfor3d
3DS FC
2896-2983-8305
Switch FC
SW-3323-9300-9923
am i late to the thread?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
No way. It's just been subtle for a while.

New discussion: If Marx were to be a fighter, should he use some of the new attacks he got from his boss fight as well as his old ones?
I don't see why not. It helps fill in some of the blanks. I was really scrambling for an Up Smash before, but now the eye Lazers can do that.

Last edited:

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker

New discussion: If Marx were to be a fighter, should he use some of the new attacks he got from his boss fight as well as his old ones?
I personally prefer his older moves, these news one felt like they were trying too hard to be creepy, but I wouldn't be too against them. I could see his vein attack working as a nair or possibly a Corrin-esque bair. I'm having a hard time coming up with ways to implement those eye attacks, though. I think those were all his new moves? It's been a hot minute since I played ultimate.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't see why not. It helps fill in some of the blanks. I was really scrambling for an Up Smash before, but now the eye Lazers can do that.
I was thinking upsmash could be a single rose vine pointing up with a tipper

Also, am I on the supporters' list? If I'm not, can someone please add me?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'd say yes. Generally speaking, in Smash it's likely that attacks made specifically for some characters' appearances for that will be kept to flesh out their movesets.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd say yes. Generally speaking, in Smash it's likely that attacks made specifically for some characters' appearances for that will be kept to flesh out their movesets.
Ridley's Space Pirate Rush instantly comes to mind when you say that — The Subspace Emissary was the first time he did something like that IIRC.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So they took Marx's creep factor and exaggerated to make him just close to Marx Soul levels of scary.

And at least it shows that Sakurai is very fond of him as a character. His reason for having Marx as a boss sounds right, he is a very deceiving character that sends people into that false sense of security.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that Giga Bowser is a boss. He's just big Bowser in terms of moveset, even though he's cooler. Marx could easily still be a character. Especially since he kind of already has a "moveset".

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Friendly reminder that Giga Bowser is a boss. He's just big Bowser in terms of moveset, even though he's cooler. Marx could easily still be a character. Especially since he kind of already has a "moveset".
Yes, this is true. They can just make Marx more fighter friendly with the same move ideas.

Or even take a page from Star Allies even.

GhostClown

Smash Rookie
I really really want this. He has so much unique potential and is the easiest to imagine a working moveset for. Not sure how likely a new Kirby character is but it would be so much fun to get Marx.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Apparently a hack exists now that allows this.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Hey Marx fans! I’ve recently started a Twitter campaign for Marx in the same vein as “Ridley Revolution” and “We Are Daisy” called “Marx Maniacs”

Here’s the link to the Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/MarxManiacs

Not sure if discussion has quieted down too much but if you’re at all interested in Marx and want to be apart of the campaign feel free to follow! I want this to be a community thing so if you have anything you’d like to share on the account or something let me know and I’ll get straight to work

Oh and if you have suggestions/criticisms/etc. feel free to let me know :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey Marx fans! I’ve recently started a Twitter campaign for Marx in the same vein as “Ridley Revolution” and “We Are Daisy” called “Marx Maniacs”

Here’s the link to the Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/MarxManiacs

Not sure if discussion has quieted down too much but if you’re at all interested in Marx and want to be apart of the campaign feel free to follow! I want this to be a community thing so if you have anything you’d like to share on the account or something let me know and I’ll get straight to work

Oh and if you have suggestions/criticisms/etc. feel free to let me know :)
I didn't know you were a Marx supporter. Welcome. Your Twitter campaign sounds awesome, but unfortunately I never really sign into Twitter as I haven't signed into it in ages. If I ever sign into it again, I'll definitely follow.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I didn't know you were a Marx supporter. Welcome. Your Twitter campaign sounds awesome, but unfortunately I never really sign into Twitter as I haven't signed into it in ages. If I ever sign into it again, I'll definitely follow.
I never really got into Smashboards back when this thread started, so I feel it might be disingenuous to call myself a supporter per se.

I’ve always really liked Marx though, I totally support the idea of him becoming a playable fighter. Whenever people asked me who I wanted in Smash I would usually mention him so I guess that does make me one? I dunno, I’m probably overthinking this.

And no worries man, if you ever do log back on it’d be awesome if you did follow! I’m usually active on here anyways so I might post updates/findings from the account to this thread if interesting stuff comes up.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is allies the only game in which Marx is playable?
(Am I making up that I played as him in it? Sometimes my dreams seem as real as the actual games as far as the Switch is concerned).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is allies the only game in which Marx is playable?
(Am I making up that I played as him in it? Sometimes my dreams seem as real as the actual games as far as the Switch is concerned).
Yeah, Marx was only playable in Star Allies. Actually, it's easier to list off people who were playable before Star Allies; Kirby, Bandana Dee, Dedede, Meta Knight, the Animal Friends, and Gooey.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
To spark some possible new discussion, I’ve had this theory rolling around in my head recently and was wondering what you guys think about it.

Several people have mentioned in this thread that Marx being a boss in the game doesn’t necessarily prevent him from becoming a fighter, all thanks to Giga Bowser and Beast Ganon. Marx also already has a regular fighter sized model in the game that appears before he turns into his true form, so the pieces are pretty much there.

Now, it’d be kinda hard to make a challenger pack for Marx. It’s definitely possible of course, (and I think it’d be awesome) but I think it might just be unnecessary effort. Now Marx being a bonus fighter however...

Hear me out on this. Not including the empty slots reserved for the remaining Fighter Pass characters, we have four empty slots left. When it comes to the possibility of bonus characters, I’d like to imagine the Smash dev team would choose characters that would be quick and easy to throw together. Since Marx has a ton of assets already in the game, it stands to reason he would be a prime candidate for this treatment, right?

I’m interested to know what you guys think though. Am I rambling like a lunatic, or am I onto something?

D

Deleted member

I don't see how they would have gone about that unless they actually wanted his Soul form in the game

D

Deleted member

Sak is more comfortable using anything he did personally, so my best guess is that Marx would have shed tears of blood, or something.
I feel like considering the smash version of him does more body manipulation i'd think it's more likely it had something to do with bones or whatever if not the soul form. i legitimately don't know what else it could've been besides that or the blood part you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom