• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Noted. I've been using Psylocke as a projectile assist. I take it that's not a good thing?
She's known for having one of the best AAAs in the game. Psyblade has high priority with invincibility frames at it's start up. It's a good assist to get out of pressure and it sets up combos easily. It even sets up an unrollable OTG (but they can still roll out if you wait too long to take advantage of it). So if they get hit by it, just as they reach the ground you can do something like d LK to launcher.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
She's known for having one of the best AAAs in the game. Psyblade has high priority with invincibility frames at it's start up. It's a good assist to get out of pressure and it sets up combos easily. It even sets up an unrollable OTG (but they can still roll out if you wait too long to take advantage of it). So if they get hit by it, just as they reach the ground you can do something like d LK to launcher.
Alright, I've taken your suggestions and adjusted my team accordingly. Seems to be working out nicely. Thanks for the tips! Now, if I could just get an air combo above 9 hits with Rogue...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well air combos are kinda limited, what you can do is some sort of ground chain into psylocke if you want a longer combo. or try to figure out some way to loop with rogues other options in the air. if she gets a speed boost you can mixup really well with rogue, so long combos aren't the most necessary

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
...*sigh* hahahahah. at least i got a friend to play with yesterday

even though i ocv'd him a couple times with felicia

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I doubt anyone wants to play but I guess I'll post mine.
PSN: Izanagi_XIII
XBL: Rhapsody R
...*sigh* hahahahah. at least i got a friend to play with yesterday

even though i ocv'd him a couple times with felicia
You should borrow a next gen console from a friend or something...
Then we could play.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Here is mine: OmegaKoopa

I might play tonight, maybe.

And chok, storm and psylocke are the best along with wolverine.

:phone:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
lol

Storm and Psy are best with Magneto. >_>

But I'm pretty sure Chok knows that.

edit: hold on, do you mean storm and psy work well with wolvie or that wolvie is one of the best? Either way, lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i still don't have the technical ability to play msp lol

haven't spent enough time in training mode with them.

i played strider vs strider yesterday LOL that **** is SOOOOOO WEIRD!!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahahaha. yea sounds easy. shoutouts to sanford kelly

i like strider though. i can do most of his stuff, it's all about decision making.

clockwork does crazy **** though. always hits that otg, godlike resets, etc. ahhhh man. i'm jelly. tiger knee long range sword slash to stop storm's hail? GODLIKE

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
lol

Storm and Psy are best with Magneto. >_>

But I'm pretty sure Chok knows that.

edit: hold on, do you mean storm and psy work well with wolvie or that wolvie is one of the best? Either way, lol.
Yea lol, Wolvie (for me) works quite well with psy and storm, I've never tryed magneto though lol...

:phone:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
thats what team scrub is for :awesome:
Not really, Scrub and MSP are good for completely different reasons. MSP is a good team because everything is a one-touch kill, but the downside for beginners is the high execution barrier. Scrub is a good team because it has a low execution barrier and controls space well, but it won't help you improve your execution (except for Sentinel's unblockables and fly combos). Playing Scrub to try to get your execution up to being able to play MSP is like studying French to prepare for a math test.

If you want to get your execution up to being able to play MSP, the best way is to just practice. There are no shortcuts to being good or having good execution. Fanatiq is one of the best MvC2 players in the world (who plays MSP...ON PAD!) and he has said that his practice sessions last for hours. If you really want to learn that team, you need to practice that team. Specifically, you should practice:
  • Magneto's Rom Infinite (you should be able to do this until they dizzy out)
  • Magneto's combos into Magnetic Tempest
  • Magneto's resets and mixups (be quick with these, try and do them before the training dummy starts regenerating health)
  • Storm's combos with and without meter (ie. launch, LP LK LP LK, lightning attack*2xxLightning Storm if you have 2 or more bars of meter, HP if you don't)
  • Storm's infinite on Sentinel
  • Storm's mixups and resets (similar to Magnetos but without the throws)
  • Psylocke's basic combos into supers (snapbacks happen and at least Psylocke isn't terrible on point like Commando)
...on both large characters (Sentinel) and normal/smaller characters (Magneto, Storm, Cable, etc.). You might want to learn some fly combos too, but you don't really need them for Magneto and Storm, just if you want to play Sentinel someday.

If you aren't particularly attached to Magneto or whatever but still want to improve your execution and get used to playing aggressively, I would actually recommend playing Iron Man. Iron Man is an aggressive character with infinites similar to Magneto's and fly combos like Sentinel's. He can even use his Smart Bombs to kinda sorta zone while super-jumping away for meter and fishing for damage like Storm and can guardbreak like Cable. In a sense, Iron Man is like different aspects of all the top tiers combined and then nerfed by having only 1 super and being kinda slow compared to Magneto. Still, Iron Man is a solid character for learning the game. Here are some teams to try out when learning Iron Man (and by extension how to play aggressively in MvC2 in general):
  • Iron Man-B/War Machine-B/good assist - When learning Iron Man, what better way to start than by putting two of him on your team? Doom Rocks is the traditionally used assist here, but imo any good assist (Sentinel, Psylocke, Tron, Magneto, Storm, etc.) can work. This team also has sick DHCs like Proton Cannon into Proton Cannon.
  • Team 日本の (Iron Man-B/Storm-A/Cable-B) - A team used by many Japanese players who are big fans of Iron Man. This team is still not the best Iron Man team you could use but it's still very solid. It's a good team to prepare for MSP because they both have the same general structure of aggressive character/Storm/DP assist. This is also a good team to learn Storm with, and Storm has a slightly lower learning curve than Magneto (until you pair her with Sentinel, then they're about even). This team also has Cable in case **** falls apart and you need to cap some *****es.
  • Iron Man-B/Dhalsim-B/Sentinel-Y - ETWIST once used this team after he saw a Japanese player using a similar one. All I really remember him saying about it is that Iron Man throw + Dhalsim assist = Free infinite (although you could probably do the same with Psylocke, Doom, Magneto, Sentinel, etc.). Ask him about the rest.
  • Magneto-A/Iron Man-B/Sentinel-Y or A - Probably the most execution-intensive out of any of the other Iron Man teams I've talked about thus far and the last team you should play before graduating to MSP. I talked about this a bit in my novel (but after this post I should probably call it "my first novel"), so I won't talk about it much. This team actually requires you to learn Magneto, which is the big thing that separates it from the other teams I've mentioned. Think of this team as like a med school exam - it's very hard but it incorporates everything you've learned thus far.

Basically, if you really want to play MSP, play MSP. If you just want to play an aggresive team and get your execution better, play an Iron Man team.

If you don't care who you play or whether you zone or rushdown and just want easy wins with low execution demands, play Scrub. But truth be told, good Cable players are rarely seen at high level play anymore, which is an indication that yes it does take effort to play Scrub well. Scrub is more about being able to take advantage of openings and punish your opponent from full screen, and if you're content to do that then play it. But if you want to rush down, it's not the team for you.

Frankly, chok, I'm surprised you're not trying to learn MST since you love Tron so much. That team is a lot harder to play though since you can't get the easy launch off of Psylocke assist.

You could also play THE REAL MSP - Morrigan/Servbot/Psylocke.

Thats not sanfords team.

Santrax is >_> It is kinda named after him..
Technically Viscant created the team, and Justin Wong was using Storm/Sentinel since 2001, but Sanford has been the most successful with it and historically it has been attributed to him. It's kind of like how Henry Ford didn't invent the car but the car company he founded went on to be successful and make the Mustang which is a great car, so most people attribute the success of automobiles to him.

In recent years though, Sanford has been playing more and more defensively than he ever had before, which is why he's been using Cable on his teams so much more. There's also the fact that Santhrax is probably the second most used team in competitive play behind MSP, so when he gets to the top8 of the tournament, everyone knows how to fight his team. However, fewer people have a ton of experience against Cable so Sanford is able to catch people off guard by picking Scrub or Cody (Cable/Storm/Sentinel). This is one of the reasons why he picked those teams against Justin Wong, since even Justin has less recent experience against those teams. That's my theory at least.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That was a fun read, citations and everything. Thanks, Gates.

After learning that team Clockw0rk was too hard to play effectively, I went straight into MSP since I felt I could do it. It took a long time for me to get Magneto down and I'm trying to work on better resets, unblockables, and not dropping a set up for a rom with Psylocke is dead. My Storm isn't great and starting combos isn't as easy for me compared to Magneto but I'm getting there.

I haven't put time into Cable or Sent but I have practiced using Iron Man quite a bit. Pretty much got the fly/unfly combos down along with his infinite. I just need to practice practical ways to lead into the infinite.

Playing this game from time to time is so fun still considering there's so much I haven't done yet.
I've been messing around with low tier teams too much and haven't even focused on Sent combos with assists yet.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow, great post gates. mmm. what is MST? mag storm tron? i've never heard of that team haha. or is the MS mag sent?

team clockw0rk is my favorite haha. tron is cute and all, but i prefer her play style much better in mvc3.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
That was a fun read, citations and everything. Thanks, Gates.

After learning that team Clockw0rk was too hard to play effectively, I went straight into MSP since I felt I could do it. It took a long time for me to get Magneto down and I'm trying to work on better resets, unblockables, and not dropping a set up for a rom with Psylocke is dead. My Storm isn't great and starting combos isn't as easy for me compared to Magneto but I'm getting there.

I haven't put time into Cable or Sent but I have practiced using Iron Man quite a bit. Pretty much got the fly/unfly combos down along with his infinite. I just need to practice practical ways to lead into the infinite.

Playing this game from time to time is so fun still considering there's so much I haven't done yet.
I've been messing around with low tier teams too much and haven't even focused on Sent combos with assists yet.
Your welcome. :)

idk if you're having trouble doing raw Rom and fly combos at all or just inside a match, but check out this youtube channel for tutorials on them if you want. Very helpful stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/hannes3d

wow, great post gates. mmm. what is MST? mag storm tron? i've never heard of that team haha. or is the MS mag sent?
Yeah, MST is Magneto/Storm/Tron. Whenever you see MS in a team it almost always refers to Magneto/Storm.

Tron's main draw in MvC2 is that her projectile assist does a ton of damage which is great in combos. For this reason she's often used in a lot of teams focused around low tier characters to help them compensate for whatever they lack by giving big damage. On point, she's a bit lacking though. Basically she has all the same weaknesses she has in MvC3 only her hitbox is slightly smaller compared to the rest of the cast (it's still pretty big though).

One more thing before I go to bed. If you want to play Clockw0rk, DO NOT NEGLECT DOOM AND SENTINEL. Not having a strong Sentinel is the failure of many Strider/Doom players (and by "many Strider/Doom players" I mean like THE Strider/Doom player, Clockw0rk, whose Sentinel was really bad for a long time). Having a good Sentinel is really just a good idea regardless of who you play, even if you play MSP which doesn't use him or low tiers where he's banned or Parcheesi which is a board game based on a traditional Indian game. As for Doom, who do you think their main target is going to be for snapbacks? I mean yeah, Strider is made of Faberge eggs so they'll probably just finish their combo on him, but if they decide to snap Sentinel out because **** the Nicks then you're going to be in big trouble if your Doom can't stand up on two legs. I know that Strider is an awesome ninja and he was the source of most of the factual data from Real Ultimate Power, but focusing on him alone is a bad idea in the long run. No matter how much you love Strider (and believe me we all do), DON'T FORGET TO PRACTICE SENTINEL AND DOOM.

On that note, I'm thinking about trying out Spiral/Strider/Doom. Spiral/Doom traps almost as well as Spiral/Sentinel, and Strider can use the meter really well. The only problem is that if Strider or Doom get snapped in and killed, the whole team is in deep **** (more so with Doom). Still, I think it has potential.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
thanks for the sent/doom tip. my sentinel is still pretty inconsistent, and i think i've only practiced doom for like. 2 or 3 days total ever LOL

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'll tell you later.

Anyway, I've been thinking about picking up Megaman as a low tier character and making a low tier team based around him. From what I've seen, he basically plays like Cable only without grenades and a much worse DP, so I think the tried and true team of Zoner/Projectile assist/AA assist will work well. Here are some teams I've been kicking around:

Megaman-A/Hulk-B/Ken-A
Megaman-A/Akuma-Y/Morrigan-A
Megaman-A/Colossus-B/Roll-A (yes really)

And I've basically been mixing and matching those along with a bunch of different AA assists like Charlie, Captain America, other shotos etc. I'm having a hard time finding a good projectile assist though, it seems like all the good ones are taken by the top tiers.

In my team building, I'm also trying not to rely on characters that are either typically banned in low tiers (the big 4, Cyclops, Doom, Tron, etc.) or characters that are often Ratio 2 (Cammy, Dhalsim, Guile) since I know Megaman is sometimes Ratio 2 (meaning that he cannot be used in low tiers with other Ratio 2 characters - ex. Megaman/Guile/XYZ is an illegal team).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really need a good projectile assist.

hannes3d

Smash Rookie
lol i m hannes3d ... so if you have questions or sugestions about marvel tutorials dont be afraid to ask ...
My main team is combofiend and my brothers main team is duc ... ...but i also play msp .... and santrax ... and clock ..and he plays scrub ... blackheart cabel cyclops ... and of course i play ken chung li cammy and he plays zangief juggernought colossus ... i play jill ...and guile ..he plays charli ...and omega red ... ...we play tron of course and thanos and some other chars but not as offen but we dont play spider or megaman

Top Bottom