• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Crystal
Daredevil
Deadpool
Doctor Strange
Drax
Elektra
Elsa Bloodstone
Falcon
Gamora
Ghost Rider
Groot & Rocket Raccoon
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Fist
Iron Man
Loki
Luke Cage
Magneto
Miles Morales
Ms. Marvel
Nightcrawler
Psylocke
Scarlet Witch
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Man
Star-Lord
Storm
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Wasp
Wolverine
Free via update (August 30th)
Cyclops
Colossus

DLC Pack 1 - Marvel Knights (September 30th)
Blade
Moon Knight
Punisher
Morbius

Future DLC Packs (X-Men and Fantastic Four)
To be added later, when announced
Free update characters:
Black Bolt
Medusa
Vision
Valkyrie

With that out of the way, feel free to use this thread for general discussion/speculation, as well as to find potential people to join up with for online co-op.

I'm personally glad this even exists. Been having a blast playing co-op both offline and online, albeit it gets kind of rough at times (Switch does what it can)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This game is just better than I expected on many ways.

The only nitpicks I have is the difficulty after a certain point in the game and the kind of character grinding it has, but outside of that it is incredibly fun to play through.
The Free DLC and Season Pass will just make it even more awesome.

My main character right now is Magneto with Black Panther, Crystal or Ghost Rider being close.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I haven't made as much progress as I would ordinarily have (due to playing Splatoon 2 all weekend for the final Splatfest). Barely getting to the Mansion section.

My go-to heroes thus far as have been Star-Lord, Iron Man, Falcon, Wolverine, Hulk, Venom, Miles Morales/Spider-Gwen, Iron Fist and now Wasp. Play in co-op so I rarely get to the luxury of swapping very much, and some heroes I want to use are taken by friends (Gwen/Miles, Nightcrawler/Psylocke, Scarlet Witch/Captain America/Captain Marvel/Spider-Man, and so on).

I'm really hoping for Gambit/Cable, Doom/Super Skrull, and some more NPCs/bosses (Green Goblin/Nova/Mystique) to eventually be made playable.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally beat the game and unlocked the final character. It took a LOT of grinding and I'm not even close to being done. lol

Am calling it quits for now until the DLC comes out. I only got through completing Energy/Strength Alliance Enhancements, 1/5 Infinity Rifts, Four characters at Lvl 100, and the entire roster at at least Lvl 40. Hopefully some QoL improvements happen somewhere down the line.

Tips:
Focus on clearing the Energy/Blue Alliance Enhancement bonus first. 10% extra exp goes a long way.
Ms. Marvel might be the best character in the game, or at least for grinding, due to her abilities being great for clearing screens/damaging bosses.
You can find a EXP ISO in the Superior Mode version of Asgard (by the Odin Statue).
When playing solo, to use synergy attacks remember to use the R2 button.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

In game models look about as good as I expected. Hope they include more costumes.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I loved the first two, played them over and over again.

I miss the grabbing/unique throws each character had from the first game

I liked the fusion attacks in 2.

and the combos (Launch, Stun, Trip) of the first two, I miss those as well, the combat has really been watered down.

But this one is pretty fun too, and I get to use Nightcrawler, my favorite Marvel character, so I cant complain. (Hoping for Iceman and Juggernaut in X-Men dlc)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Haven't purchased the Season Pass yet, though I like that it'll include 13 characters. My bet is the Fantastic 4 pack will include Dr. Doom or She-Hulk.

The recent updates have been pretty hefty, but it is a bummer there are no major new story elements, environments, or bosses. Just the same old missions with slightly different objectives. Gauntlet mode is an interesting idea, but the loading times suck and the rewards beyond objectives aren't worth it. Shield Depot is a good idea; hopefully it'll be feasible to obtain enough tokens to unlock everything.

That said I'm loving how Colossus & Cyclops play. I'm surprised the September 4th Direct didn't mention them or tease the Pack 1 update.

Also MORE Alliance Enhancement hexes and levels now cap at 150. Just when I thought I was done grinding my team.

What exactly does Nightmare mode do compared to the other modes?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
^ I read a blurb from an article somewhere.

"Keeping with the Curse of the Vampire theme is Nightmare, a new game difficulty that adds an evil twist to the main story. Recommended for a party of characters at level 40 or higher, Nightmare features random enemies infected by a vampiric curse. Defeating them earns S.H.I.E.L.D. Tokens, but infected enemies may be revived as Reborn, which gives them completely new powers."

The "vampiric curse" in the Gauntlet ranges from enemies constantly having drain effects (for either or both MP and HP), to having unique effects on regular grunt type enemies that aren't ordinarily supposed to have them. The idea is you grind Gaunlet/this mode until you can get really overpowered ISO-8s (the rainbow ones).

Also turbo charges boss characters, similar to certain Infinity Trials. I've yet to start my run as I've been busy to the point of not being able to play much recently.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It has been a long while since I've last played Marvel Ultimate Alliance which was the second one. Anyways, if I were to speculate which other Marvel characters they could possibly add as future DLC:
  • Shang-Chi
  • She-Hulk
  • An Eternal (between Ikaris, Sersi, Makkari or Thena.)

D

Deleted member

It has been a long while since I've last played Marvel Ultimate Alliance which was the second one. Anyways, if I were to speculate which other Marvel characters they could possibly add as future DLC:
  • Shang-Chi
  • She-Hulk
  • An Eternal (between Ikaris, Sersi, Makkari or Thena.)
I would hope they add Gwenpool too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm enjoying the Danger Room DLC so far. It's a shame that the rewards that are tied to it are apparently only accessible for a limited time (you'd think they'd do something similar to the update for Symbiote Spider-Man, Carol Danvers' Ms. Marvel costume, etc., where you unlock the costumes through another series of Infinite trials), but it gives me an opportunity to try out a variety of characters and combinations since level, apparently, does not matter. (you can buy the alternate palettes for Old Man Logan, Mohawk Storm, etc. with SHIELD points, but they don't unlock the concept art)

It's probably going to be slow going - I'm going to stick to playing against the AI, and I can only play on the Beta difficulty (presumably because I don't have anyone whose level is high enough for the other difficulties) at the highest. This means that, at best, each playthrough gets me 2/5 of the way towards reaching the next tier of rewards, and since I've got 26 more tiers to get through to unlock the costumes (seeing as I've unlocked tier 2 and the last costume is unlocked at 28), I'll be doing this for a while.

EDIT: I just unlocked the final character in the base game (whose name I won't mention for spoiler purposes), along with the Gamma difficulty for training (which gets me 3/5 of the way through a tier), though it might help if I get my characters close to that level. (the bonus boss at the end is quite difficult, and it closer resembles a bullet hell game than Marvel Ultimate Alliance's gameplay)

I also reached tier 4, and I really like one of the new voice lines that it apparently unlocked for Wolverine. ("This never happens in Canada. Just sayin'...")

EDIT 2: I got all of the costumes from the latest event (I don't have some of the alternate palettes yet, but that's not a big deal), along with the World War Hulk costume. I'm glad that playing online increases your rank whether you win or lose, because playing against the AI doesn't do that (it only increases if you win), and the AI outright cheats on the highest difficulty. (ex. jumping seven times in a fraction of a second, which restores the boss to full health when I had taken away 90% of her health)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

THEY ARE FINALLY COMING

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Fantastic Four update is coming out this Thursday, and in case anyone missed it, we're getting a ton of costumes to go along with it.

Not sure if I should spoiler-tag the second group of costumes, but if Marvel doesn't consider it a spoiler any more, then I won't treat it as one.

In addition, we might be getting completely new content, as opposed to the remixed story missions that we got through the Marvel Knights and X-Men DLC. (between the two of those, I think there was only one new map, which was where Dark Phoenix is fought)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also the main banner for this new expansion if anyone's interested:

ERA27raVAAEExOI.jpeg.jpg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46853/~/how-to-update-marvel-ultimate-alliance-3:-the-black-order#v400

Patch notes are out for the Fantastic Four update. It's worth noting that it explicitly confirms new story content that takes place after the main story, and it lists it as being out today. (not sure if that's just an update to prepare the game for the DLC launch on the 26th, or if it's being released early - probably the first one)

It lists that there's more characters beyond Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny. It could very well be Doctor Doom (which would still be amazing, and Doom would be a mainstay of my team), though I've seen rumours suggesting at least two other characters - not sure how reliable they are, though.

On a personal note, I beat the game on Superior difficulty, though I'll wait until the Fantastic Four come out to try beating the game on Ultimate. I got everyone to level 50 at the very least (my strongest characters, the original Avengers, are in the 130 range), and I only have three stars to go until I get the Symbiote Spider-Man (beat Towering Terror in under 4:30, beat Ultimate Alliance of Evil with two deaths or less, and beat Ultimate Alliance of Evil in under ten minutes).

All of those seem easier said than done, however. In the first mission, the cannons do fixed damage, the AI is downright dumb sometimes, and rather frustratingly, my best time was 4:31. In the second mission, even with the mission being level 90 and my entire team being at level 130 or so, it took me 12 minutes to beat it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46853/~/how-to-update-marvel-ultimate-alliance-3:-the-black-order#v400

Patch notes are out for the Fantastic Four update. It's worth noting that it explicitly confirms new story content that takes place after the main story, and it lists it as being out today. (not sure if that's just an update to prepare the game for the DLC launch on the 26th, or if it's being released early - probably the first one)

On a personal note, I beat the game on Superior difficulty, though I'll wait until the Fantastic Four come out to try beating the game on Ultimate. I got everyone to level 50 at the very least (my strongest characters, the original Avengers, are in the 130 range), and I only have three stars to go until I get the Symbiote Spider-Man (beat Towering Terror in under 4:30 (easier said than done when the cannons do a fixed amount of damage and the AI is dumb sometimes), beat Ultimate Alliance of Evil with two deaths or less, and beat Ultimate Alliance of Evil in under ten minutes).
I plan to replay the whole Game with the Fantastic Four because of course I will.

Probably gonna be the first characters I try to reach Max level with.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I plan to replay the whole Game with the Fantastic Four because of course I will.

Probably gonna be the first characters I try to reach Max level with.
Good luck with that, seeing as they're raising the level cap to 300 with this update.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm enjoying the Fantastic Four update so far - the story content was great, there's a bonus character that you get for beating the epilogue on the hardest difficulty, and the new costumes don't require you to go through the Danger Room a few dozen times to get them. (they're in the SHIELD Depot, or alternatively, you can play through the story a bunch of times)

The members of the Fantastic Four have great synergy with each other, and Doctor Doom's voice acting is top notch. (it's Maurice LaMarche going full Calculon and using the word "Doom" where people would normally say "I" or "me")

I haven't unlocked the bonus character, though I have seen who it is. It's a little disappointing, since it's a variation on a character who's already playable (I would have liked to see the Vision, Beast, or Jessica Jones), but I'm sure that my attitude will change once I unlock that character and see them in action.

Also, I'm one star away from getting Symbiote Spider-Man, which is one of the last few alternate costumes that I need. (not counting the palette swaps, the only others that I need are the Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, and Deadpool's new costume - oddly enough, the concept art for classic Wasp didn't unlock like the rest of them, and Deadpool's new costume doesn't seem to be available anywhere) I just need to beat the Ultimate Alliance of Evil mission in under ten minutes - rather frustratingly, my most recent time was 10:05, but I'll try leveling up Ms. Marvel and Black Panther since their specials apparent shred through the health bars of bosses.

Last edited:

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
I picked up this game shortly after it came out, and I have to say, I had a blast with it. It's got a great selection of Marvel characters and the gameplay is quite fun, if a bit chaotic. Going through the story was in a lot of ways a highlight of my recent Switch gaming career, and the DLC added additional things to have fun with. Most of the nitpicks I have with the game are relatively minor-- Koei-Tecmo did a good job with this one.

I tend to use the Avengers characters most, focusing on Captain America and Thor. Black Widow and Falcon I also use a lot, and throw those two in with Cap and Hawkeye and you've got great team Synergy. I also experimented with Ms. Marvel, Star-Lord, Gamora, and Black Panther.

Now that the game is more or less complete, I'm looking forward to going back and cleaning up the rest of the collectables I didn't get. I have yet to unlock access to the costumes for the Fantastic Four, the higher missions in Infinity Rift Phi, and some of the alt colors for the DLC cast, among a few other trifles. I'd also like to reach at least level 100 with everyone if I can. Don't tell the developers, but I have a set of three white ISO-8 that multiply my team EXP by almost 300%. :chuckle:

I haven't unlocked the bonus character, though I have seen who it is. It's a little disappointing, since it's a variation on a character who's already playable (I would have liked to see the Vision, Beast, or Jessica Jones), but I'm sure that my attitude will change once I unlock that character and see them in action.
I was able to unlock this character after pouring all of my EXP cubes into my core team. They are a character double, but they play entirely differently and I can definitely see why they added them. In a lot of ways, it fulfills the desire many of us hoped for while playing the game...

Which is, of course, to use all six Infinity Stones! Who would say no? :p

I do have to wonder, though, about the fate of the characters that were discovered in the coding and if there are still plans to add them. The character select screen looks pretty much complete now, and adding more would upset the nice, squared off shape they have. It's too bad, one of my favorites was among those predicted, and a subtlety in the voice lines feature seemed to indicate they would be added. We can hope, I guess, but I should probably reign in my former expectations to be safe. The character roster is excellent as is.

In any case, this game for the most part was a win for me. If you like Marvel heroes, I'd highly recommend trying it!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just unlocked Symbiote Spider-Man! Now all I need are the Future Foundation costumes, Doom 2099, and the bonus character, and I'll be done with the game as far as I'm concerned. (There are some alternate palettes that I'm missing, but I'm not as concerned about them)

I used a team of Ms. Marvel, the Wasp, Wolverine, and Thor since I found out that Ms. Marvel's spinning attack does a ton of damage to bosses. (At least, once I got her up to level 90, but she was outdamaging some characters who were nearly 50 levels higher than her)

Also, I found out that the game updated this morning with some new challenges, which unlock Deadpool's Battle of the Atom costume (which was unusually absent before) and any gauntlet challenges that you haven't unlocked yet. (Though unlocking that is easier said than done)

Last edited:

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
So, this post used to outline a theory as to how we may be getting more characters, but after reconsidering what I said, I think it's wisest to not get peoples' hopes up. There may not be quite enough evidence. I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom