• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Voice

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
I saw a video where Marth does his taunt from Melee, and he said the same thing. I as wondering if you all think they'll give Marth an english voice for the US release, or if they'll stick with Japanese.

Xgamer245

Smash Cadet
IMO I think they will keep the Japanese voice...but who knows maybe they will have Marth speak english. I would have to listen to a voice clip because if they make Marth speak english they better do it right.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it'd be reaslly cheap of Nintendo if they kept the exact same voice from Melee and kept in Japanese in an English speaking country. Or French speaking country. Or Dutch.

Revven

FrankerZ
Yeah, it'd be reaslly cheap of Nintendo if they kept the exact same voice from Melee and kept in Japanese in an English speaking country. Or French speaking country. Or Dutch.
But the Japanese voice is kick ***, why does it need to be changed? As I recall, the localization team kept it in Japanese for two reasons: 1) No English voice actor (obvious) and 2) They wanted to keep the voice because it was badass or because it fit him really well. (This was admitted awhile ago, like, couple years back). I don't see them changing it really because there's no English voice actor for Marth until the Fire Emblem remake of his game hits the US on the DS (which probably won't happen for awhile or may not happen at all).

Personally, it doesn't need to be changed, I've already grown accustomed to his Japanese voice. And an English voice would just disgrace Marth if it wasn't done right.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Please don't change his voice. And I hope that Ike can keep his Japanese voice, too.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
The character is Japanese only... isn't that essentially why he keeps a Japanese voice...?

Unless you really want Shinji from EVA to do his voice again...

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
But the Japanese voice is kick ***, why does it need to be changed? As I recall, the localization team kept it in Japanese for two reasons: 1) No English voice actor (obvious) and 2) They wanted to keep the voice because it was badass or because it fit him really well. (This was admitted awhile ago, like, couple years back).
You seem to be forgetting that Marth is the least badass character in the game. Have you seen his Dojo profile? It looks like he took freakin' estrogen pills.

Anyways, if they give him an English voice, it should suit him. Maybe find a metrosexual voice actor. Otherwise, keep his Japanese voice.

I'm being serious, btw.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
I wish Zenigame kept his Jpn voice
Hell no, nothing beats: "Squirtle!!!! Squirtle, Squirt Squirt Squirtle!"

And Ivysaur is also cool in english.

BTW Ike's english VA is pretty cool, watch some of the E4all vids, its prety deep, same with MEta Knights.

GenG

Smash Lord
They'll give Marth an English voice definitely, just like they did with Pit and Metaknight, but better be a good one and not a shame like Ike's, which is average, shallow and mediocre. Ike's Japanese voice clips and taunts are the epythome of badassery.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
They'll give Marth an English voice definitely, just like they did with Pit and Metaknight, but better be a good one and not a shame like Ike's, which is average, shallow and mediocre. Ike's Japanese voice clips and taunts are the epythome of badassery.
Really? I find his Japanese voice to be very dissapointing so far.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
But the Japanese voice is kick ***, why does it need to be changed? As I recall, the localization team kept it in Japanese for two reasons: 1) No English voice actor (obvious) and 2) They wanted to keep the voice because it was badass or because it fit him really well. (This was admitted awhile ago, like, couple years back).
Actually on that note, most might not be aware but Marth's voice actor is a highly respected veteran actor in JPN. Does voice overs for alot of big high profile games and shows. So it might also be just a sign of respect to keep it in.

Technically Marth does have an english voice and a little known one however, they just chose to never use it.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Marth is a Japan only character, it's part of his character pretty much to speak Japanese. Ike got an English voice because he's in a game that was localized in America. Once Fire Emblem DS comes out over here, Marth might be given an American voice (In future instalments of Smash or Fire Emblem) but until then they really have no reason to...(And oh God they'd make it horrid...like Jason Griffith...no offence to him...but Ryan Drummond was obviously waaaay better...opinion of course...)

GenG

Smash Lord
It's absolutely badass and suits Ike like a glove.

Just combine his voice with the hit sounds of being hit by a train and you have a character which is awesome to play as. And the victory quotes are also awesome. Japanese Ike is awesome. It makes you crap your pants.

English one is just bland, amateurish. His voice and the awful translation of the video sequences ruined his acting in Radiant Dawn for me. Ike must sound cool, awe-inspiring, self-confident, but also sincere. The Western one it's just an average joe who told him to say some lines in front of a mic, it lacks interpretation... "it lacks inspiration" lol.

It's a shame how RD and PoR in Japan are voiced by renowned actors even if the game doesn't reach 15 minutes of video, while the English cast is just made of second rate actors and amateurs.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I dunno about you Japanophiles but I think Ike's English VA will be less bothersome than his Japanese.

Seriously, that "SEEEAYAH!!" every time he performed Aether can get to you...really(Obviously learned it from OoT Link).
His english VA has him go "RRRAAAAAHH!!" as if he's seriously pissed. Both sound bothersome anyway.

The only voice line I've liked in Japanese Ike is when he's doing Great Aether.

Marth having a English VA is slim. I remember reading a similar topic on BC and someone compared Marth to an ancient Templar Knight.

....Hrm.

GenG

Smash Lord
Ike doesn't say SEIYAAAAAA all the time, also says TEN-KU which is the Aether's Japanese name.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
ITT weeaboos who think that if they can't understand it, it's better. Ike's Japanese voice was really, really cheesy.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I'm not too fussed with Ike. I'm not a big fan of either voices or the character in general he doesn't have a memorable voice. In JP hes average hotblooded joe and in English version hes generic fantasy hero.

Though I like the effect used on his Final Smash quote.

GenG

Smash Lord
Also, the English RD dub is so lame that they kept the Japanese grunts and screams, and just dubbed the actual dialogues. lol @ if you like originals you are a weaboo yadayada.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
I'd love it if you could choose the language of the dub out of English and Japanese tbh. I haven't heard a voice that I don't like in the JPN version. I just want the text translated.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Perhaps, perhaps not. Marth does have another game coming up which will presumably be released internationally, Fire Emblem DS, so the whole "Japan-only character" thing doesn't necessarily apply anymore (of course I'm not expecting voice acting in FE:DS, but that doesn't mean they won't get one for Brawl). Plus the Fire Emblem games are set in worlds based on medieval Europe, not Japan, so a European language like English is probably better suited to them than Japanese.

I suspect it will rest on whether they'd rather maintain the perception of him as a foreign character or not. Or on whether they decide to take the easy way out and just not bother because he had a Japanese voice in Melee and thus no one will be bothered if he has one in Brawl too.

Zevox

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's the "Easy way out" to leave him wiht a Japanese voice, because that's one of the reasons he was unique in Melee IMO.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
They better not change his voice. The Japanese just sounds bad ***. I'd really like it if they kept Ike's voice as well.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I would love to understand what he always says....

but please give him a man´s voice ffs!! One worthy of a warrior prince!

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Actually on that note, most might not be aware but Marth's voice actor is a highly respected veteran actor in JPN. Does voice overs for alot of big high profile games and shows. So it might also be just a sign of respect to keep it in.

Technically Marth does have an english voice and a little known one however, they just chose to never use it.
You're talking about the anime nobody really knows about?

Anyway, I don't really mind what they do with Marth's voice. Keeping it the same as it was before is fine by me.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
The character is Japanese only... isn't that essentially why he keeps a Japanese voice...?
Sans the pokemon, EVERYONE in Melee kept their Japanese voice--They just cut out the Japanese phrases for characters (Fox, Falco, Mewtwo, etc). Considering that they're dubbing Pit and Ike's voice, it would just feel downright sloppy to leave Marth
in Japanese.

Besides, he has a new game coming out, and considering the series's rising popularity over here, there's no way they'd skip a chance to localize it.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
And then I'll finnaly be able to know what the HELL he says when he goes.

Mina, niteketetete" or whatever.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
to me at least, Marth speaking Japanese is extremely fitting. I would not be the least bit offed if he was the only character who kept his Japanese voice acting.

An English voice actor would seem... odd. It's like, between the announcement of Brawl and Melee Marth learns to speak perfectly fluent English. =p lol

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
to me at least, Marth speaking Japanese is extremely fitting. I would not be the least bit offed if he was the only character who kept his Japanese voice acting.

An English voice actor would seem... odd. It's like, between the announcement of Brawl and Melee Marth learns to speak perfectly fluent English. =p lol
Just like Meta Knight? or Pit...Or.....whatever.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
i wish Marth didnt look like a female girly man anymore....i mean they could have at least ditched the tieara. seriously....he was one of my mains but i tend to get chased when i use him because everybody thinks he is a gay character. "WHY DID YOU PICK THE WOMAN?!?!!?!!"

oh well, guess i'll have to continue to pwn them with Marth's femaleness

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Unless you really want Shinji from EVA to do his voice again...
Does anyone even know what his dub voiced even sounded like?

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Also, the English RD dub is so lame that they kept the Japanese grunts and screams, and just dubbed the actual dialogues. lol @ if you like originals you are a weaboo yadayada.
That isn't what I said. Path of Radiance dub doesn't have a lot to do with a whole Enlgihs overhaul.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dudes..Marth is Heero Yui from Gundam Wing.

It don't get more bad *** then that.

*Walks up to Relina "I'll kill you."

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Some characters are more suited to American voice actors, namely Meta Knight and Ike.. Marth is a typical anime character, he looks girly, he's graceful and 'cool'. An American voice ontop of that could ruin it potentially.

Well.. maybe the guy who voiced Raiden from MGS2.

I like Meta Knight's english voice, Marth I'm hoping keeps his JPN one.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Dudes..Marth is Heero Yui from Gundam Wing.

It don't get more bad *** then that.

*Walks up to Relina "I'll kill you."
Now THAT would be hard core. Actually Brad Swaile (Quatre Winner/Amuro Ray) would be the most appropriate for Marth in my humble opinion.

The voice I am the most concerned about is King Dedede's. Though they gave Meta Knight the coolest and most fitting voice possible, I'm concerned that King "Colonel Sanders" Dedede might be returning from "Right Back At Ya!" Oh well, if he does, he'll take Diddy's spot as most annoying character.

cyber_turnip

Smash Rookie
Seeing as they've gone to the trouble of giving Samus a spoken voice when she could have remained a fairly silent character very easily, I imagine they will give Marth an English voice this time round.

Top Bottom