• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Ground Game

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Let me just say that I am as disappointed as you guys are for some of the changes in Marth, it sucks but hey we just gotta play a *new* Marth. It's all good.

I think the game is primarily and foremost a grounded game when at neutral game (which is the majority of a match). You can't airdodge into the floor without landing lag and most of Marth's aerials have lag as well. RIP Double Fair in one short hop :( RIP Short hop nair. Although they can still be used within the short hop and land with them they can be a liability though. They're decent.

Which brings me to the point I'm trying to make, Marth's ground game, now more than ever, is REALLY important. If Brawl Nair and Fair were top tier, I think in this game his Grab and Dancing Blade are OP for him (upair is up there too). This game has a lot to do with percentage leads so the minor things like Marth's pummel are extremely important.

Grab:
-Every pummel does around 2%
-Most people don't get out of grabs immediately so there's time for at least 2-3 pummels which = about 6%
-Down throw looks like the best throw (right behind forward throw) and it deals 5% and it puts the opponent in a position where up air/up tilt/bair/fair will deal even more damage.

So let's break it down:
-3 Pummels = 6%
-Down Throw = 5%
-(worst case scenario) Fair = 9% - 10% - Can someone confirm this?

That's a whopping 16% per grab. Even more if you can get a couple of more pummels or follow ups. Put them closer to the edge and attempt edge guards. There's the unfortunate situation where we can't grab release (not that I know of yet) or chain grab anymore. *cries* But grab in his arsenal is still amazing.

The reason that I mentioned that being grounded is awesome is because you can nearly cover any approach with pivot grabs, pivot Dancing Blade's and the random aerials you do. Counter is useful now too.

Dancing Blade:
I have mixed feelings about dancing blade. Sometimes it feels like it's Brawl counterpart where you could abuse it as a punish and semi-safe approach just by doing one but then other times different characters have funny ways of getting out of it! Megaman can upB before the last hit, I've gotten daired by Bowser JR etc etc. If you do it too close to your opponent your 3rd and 4th hits won't connect. Odd. And annoying.

But even with all of this Dancing Blade is still beast. It can even land some kills with up version.

I'll keep writing some more later.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Yeah I use/abuse Dancing Blade a ton. It's a pretty safe way of racking up damage, and mixing up the final hit keeps your opponent on their toes. D-tilt is truly an amazing tool, great for poking pesky Little Mac's back out to a comfortable range. D-Smash to punish rolls. Shield Breaker is actually pretty useful this time around for some shield pressure/breakage, and the punish on a shield break is truly beautiful.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
you can't guarantee an aerial to land out of grabs except at very low percents. after 35% your opponent will be able to dodge out of it and/or DI away. of course, you can fake people out by faking an aerial and then smashing or tilting their dodge, but it's not guaranteed.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Absolutely true my man! This game is going to be majority all reads on peoples recovery like Brawl was. :D

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Also Ftilt is pretty solid. I wouldn't count that move out as it can stuff a lot of air approaches.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Ftilt is an amazing move, especially with Marth being able to retreat pivot Ftilt. It's kinda of like wavedash Ftilt back in Melee. He can manage space easier.

Top Bottom