• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Zelda

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
So I am having trouble with this matchup. I don't know how to get around dins and how to get past her kick. Any suggestions?

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
Marth has amazing disjoints that easily beat out Din's. If she places a Din's, you can easily use a jab, ftilt, utilt, fair, or uair to return the Din's to the owner.

In actuality, Marth beats Zelda in this matchup. Zelda is of a certain weight and fall speed to allow her to be easily susceptible to Marth's relentless combo game. Marth is also very maneuverable, weaving in and out of Zelda's defenses. Use your tools to your advantage and harshly punish any of Zelda's blunders. There's nothing she can do about it.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
So I am having trouble with this matchup. I don't know how to get around dins and how to get past her kick. Any suggestions?
Make sure you clank the Dins if you have the opportunity, in 3.5 she can only place one Dins.

I struggle with this MU more than I should as well. Ultimately my life got a lot easier once my spacing got better. Our Fair out-ranges her kick and comes out faster.

Preacher

Smash Cadet
If you practice staying just outside of Zelda's dash attack range you'll be able to dash attack/grab any time you see Din's start up. Be mindful of your spacing; it's better to be just out of reach than to be too close.

Further more keep stage control. If din's comes out while you're at center stage you can back up a bit until it goes off. If it's recalled just step back to center. If she overshoots it you can gain better positioning and get closer to her at the same time.

Don't contest Zelda in the air if you're there too. Throw her up at low percents and hit her with an areal or jump to engage if you're below her. Just be careful because she can do two in a short hop.

And as always forward throw her then wavedash into forward smash usually works to get her off you at low percents (more if the opponent doesn't DI well)

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
You grab. And Pivot grab. Over and over again. Marth's grab box is stupid huge and with how floaty Zelda is she's super easy to combo once you get her in the air and just start throwing out Fairs. It used to be that she could beat this strategy with downsmash, but since it's range got decimatingly nerfed in 3.5 this isn't really an option for her anymore, since it's range is now easily less than Marth's grab range, so Marth can just grab armor through it. Just be careful not to get cocky and eat an Ftilt, because that will put you right into Bair sweetspot range.

waygu

Smash Lord
a local zelda main told me that from 0-13ish that marth fthrow is pretty much inescapable unless i flub, so use that i suppose.

basically what the above post said, grab the living **** out of her. her float and jump speed are weird and allow for mixing up of grounded grab/spacing games and using your own floatiness to air camp her and bait her to try to jump and punish.
can be risky but is partially necessary for avoiding dins at times. i view dins like i view bananas, if you mix your opponent up by throwing yourself into it at an unexpected time it can turn things around for you. ex: at 20-40% running into a din and di'ing accordingly will land me a fair punishing an attempted aerial from zelda.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
Marth is favored in this matchup, and the keys to winning are, as everyone else has mentioned, grabs (Use Fthrow below maybe 20% because it's really hard to escape, then mix up Fthrow and Dthrow for DI traps. Uthrow can set up juggles.) and juggling. Zelda has very few tools to get out of juggles; she falls slowly, her Dair loses to most Utilts, Usmashes, and Uairs (especially Marth's; Zelda's Dair should be a non-issue for you if you're good at spacing, and you should be, since you play Marth), and her teleport has a lot of startup, making it easily punishable. If you can get underneath Zelda, everything gets way easier for you. Make sure you're directly beneath her or in tipper Fair range as you juggle, however. If you end up too close to the side of her, most Zeldas will not hesitate to throw out a Fair or Bair, which could potentially be quite painful.

Other than that, you can swat away her aerial Nayru and kick approaches with Fair, Utilt, or Ftilt, and stuff her grounded approaches with well-spaced Dtilts (don't spam it though or you'll get kicked). As for Din's Fire, Marth has a relatively easy time defusing the mines. Jab will clank them out with minimal commitment and keep you relatively safe. You can also run up and shield to clank them, or use your Fair or Nair to remove aerial mines. Also try to DD camp her at midrange. Zelda has a lot of issues dealing with good DD camping, and it naturally leads into grabs and Dtilts.

Hope this helps; good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom