• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Puff Help

Tanwad

Smash Rookie
So, I am a Puff main. My best friend and training partner is a Marth main. We've both been playing about a year and have decent tech (I can rest a lot of punishable moves, he can pivot f-smash consistently, etc). I often have so much trouble against Marth in neutral, and getting in seems like a pain unless I bait out a fair and WoP him, or he zealously f-smashes my shield. Any general tips, especially regarding my OOS options when I am in tipper range. I tend to WD back OOS but sometimes THAT is what puts me in tipper range, and I fear if I stay in shield too long I'll get shield poked. Sorry my question is so vague. I'll narrow it down to:
-What can Puff do OOS vs Marth?
-Best ways for a Puff to get in on an aerial Marth?
Thanks guys

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
Most of Marth's moves are fairly laggy so unless they are spaced correctly you can get a rest oos a lot of the time. When it comes to an aerial Marth, yes his aerials are good and disjointed, but he is also much less mobile than when he is on the ground. Puff is the reverse. He also can't grab you in the air so you can shield any attack he puts out in the air. You will probably want to try and bait and whiff punish his aerials with your own. Hopefully that helps in some way.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you were in tipper range in the first place, you messed up. From there, I would just light shield, tank the fsmash on my shield, and allow the shield push to knock me back to a safe range. If you are too close to Marth for him to tipper you, your roll should be able to sneak behind him. You can also gomble with spotdodge if you feel like forcing him to be honest enough to not always attack whenever he has frame advantage.

SableGuy

Smash Rookie
I've found that the Marth matchup requires a lot of baiting and punishing. Against Marth, its really nice sometimes to wait for him to overextend, especially if you have a percent or stock lead. If they miss or come too close, it can easily lead to a bair, and I mean I don't need to explain why that's important lol
That's generally how I like to tackle the matchup at least

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Marth on average is my best matchup, learn to DI. DI'ing the right way can make Marth's life extremely hard, if you get grabbed open with the down and away DI option and see if they follow up on it. If they start wavedashing fsmashing then mix it up and DI in on a throw to avoid being tippered. If you can get good enough at figuring out his fair patterns you can drift ever so slightly out of range of his fair and drift right back in and punish it with a bair really easily. I recommend if you want to get good at this matchup then watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7IkCDl9Fqg

This is single-handedly the best video explaining the matchup I've seen to date. What are my credentials to being good at this matchup? There isn't a Marth in my state that has beaten me in a long time (not including PPMD, haven't played him).

Also remember that you can rest Marth's normal grab animation if you crouch it but good Marth's will dash grab (dash grab can grab you while crouched) against you if they are dash dancing etc. You may be able to catch them grabbing OoS and you rest that. Sometimes against some Marth's that are fair happy you can run up or wavedash and shield really fast as they try to fair you and punish with a nair/fair OoS. If a Marth likes to dair OoS you can call it out with a shield and punish with just about any move (even rest if they mis-space their landing), also if you get Marth at the ledge spacing bair is sick because they have a tough time getting back to center stage which is where Marth shines in the matchup.

Learn good ground movement with Puff if you want to make leaps and bounds in this matchup, by most people I'm known as one of the more technical Puff's in my area. Watch Hbox play any matchup and you'll see how he abuses wavedash just to get that extra spacing all the time. Staying high in the air vs Marth is generally a no no but you can use it to get a platform if you feel the need to re-position yourself. Some Marth's will hold their shield until it dwindles down a bit, you can shield poke really easily with nair on their head if they don't really DI (because it's usually catches them off guard), at certain percents weak nair will lead into an fsmash if you autocancel nair.

Finally if you've kept reading to this point, watch the video to learn how to edgeguard Marth, super important to make the Marth feel under pressure while recovering and give you an advantageous position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom