• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs. Kirby Matchup?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
What does Kirby need to look out for in this match up aside from random tippers? What stages should I take here as well? Thanks!

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Avoid small stages like the plague, and his U-Tilt will get you if you're too greedy with your approaches.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
He has a 50/50 DI mixup with F-Throw and D-Throw(?). Guess the throw correctly and you won't get tippered.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
Avoid getting grabbed before like 40% or so. I DI f-throw in at low percents but after 40% (just a guesstimate) start DI-ing away. Also, I try to stay grounded throughout this match up so as to avoid getting juggled, and so I can duck grabs for a good punish. Hammer can kill early but don't use it in nuetral.. this match up can be brutal but he struggles to kill you if you avoid tipper f-smash.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Avoid getting grabbed before like 40% or so. I DI f-throw in at low percents but after 40% (just a guesstimate) start DI-ing away. Also, I try to stay grounded throughout this match up so as to avoid getting juggled, and so I can duck grabs for a good punish. Hammer can kill early but don't use it in nuetral.. this match up can be brutal but he struggles to kill you if you avoid tipper f-smash.
Kinda Seems like what I expected.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
It's a good idea to play a dash dance and bait kind of game against marth. That's what helps me, anyway.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
It's a good idea to play a dash dance and bait kind of game against marth. That's what helps me, anyway.
I can agree with that, but it kind of seems like due to marth's reach, that bait game has to be pretty on point. Can Kirby really combo marth with anything at all? it seems like the puff MU where you benefit from knocking him off stage, grabbing, or hitting with strong stray hits to keep him in the air.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
I can agree with that, you're probably going to be edge gaurding and gimping more than KOing marth. And, yes, you want to keep him above you, but that's most match-ups against marth really.

DefectiveBubblebuddy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Defectoace
3DS FC
1719-3310-2390
In this matchup, I make productive use of dash dances to bait attacks, spot dodges to counter grabs, and gimping tools such as B-air and the Marth Killer. Keeping your space and baiting is key. At least for me.

Top Bottom