• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs. Greninja match up

protoasha

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, decent time lurker, first timetime poster here. My apologies if I should be posting this in an existing thread, but here we go.

To get to the point, I'm having trouble with Greninja. I feel like Greninja's moves are too quick for Marth's. Its Water Shurikan of course can be a problem because it forces a shield or jump, and I don't have a projectile of my own to counter it. So I can't stay far cause of Water Shuriken, but I feel like if I get close, Greninja's speed can be overwhelming. I often seem to miss my Fmashes when I can often hit them on other characters, and had kind of a tough time getting grabs.

Have you guys had any trouble with Greninja? Do you have advice of what I should be trying to do/how I should play?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Approaching with Short hop (SH) Fairs is likely your best shot, while the Air Dancing Blades (DB) mixups are also another option. Because he has a projectile, you have to pressure him and use your close range reach to your advantage. Fsmash's have lots of commitment, so using it should be reserved when you have them in a position to make it hard to avoid (like edge guarding), or when your opponent is stunned or flustered (like from a Fair or Nair setup).

Short hopping or perfect shielding are your two means of getting closer to Greninja. Counter is also useful if you want to land ontop of one and strike your opponent back. You can also approach with an Air Shield breaker (neutral b), as it gives a short push foward and has the best reach for Marth I would say. Of course, if its read, it will be punished hard, so be careful with this.

Now I'm yet to fight many Greninjas, but just from general experience of fighting projectile users, those are my usual go tos.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You win on the ground in footsies so he needs water shuriken. Get good at powershielding. Approaches with nair that are imperfect are easy up b out of shield fodder or prey to shield grabs. Hes hard to gimp but you can harass him and lay on damage off stage. At poking range I find solid greninjas will respect your sword and start blocking. Thats when you can chip away at his shield, go for grab or shield breaker. Remember you can counter shurikens and this works well if he dashes after a charged one.

Vertexed

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, decent time lurker, first timetime poster here. My apologies if I should be posting this in an existing thread, but here we go.

To get to the point, I'm having trouble with Greninja. I feel like Greninja's moves are too quick for Marth's. Its Water Shurikan of course can be a problem because it forces a shield or jump, and I don't have a projectile of my own to counter it. So I can't stay far cause of Water Shuriken, but I feel like if I get close, Greninja's speed can be overwhelming. I often seem to miss my Fmashes when I can often hit them on other characters, and had kind of a tough time getting grabs.

Have you guys had any trouble with Greninja? Do you have advice of what I should be trying to do/how I should play?
I have a friend who mains greninja, so I've been working on my ability to fight him, and Marth is at a huge disadvantage in that matchup. Greninja can pressure him with a large amount of his kit, he slightly outranges Marth, and has a solid c-stick. One thing that I think benefits Marth in the matchup is his counter. If you make a habit of watching the ground below and around you, you can react to shadow sneak with counter. Tipper fair is also a good tool, as it has solid hitstun, and Greninja will use every opportunity to attack, so the longer your foe is stunned, the better. Rolling is a good habit in this matchup, as it is one of Marth's best and most reliable movement options, and can lead into f-smash, which is a good kill move. Everything everyone else said is good advice, and take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I am not very good. Hope this helps

Top Bottom