• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Video Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Haven't seen other vids, but I wouldn't be surprised if your Fox was better. 'Tis my opinon

Main two things I would notice: jumping too much in Neutral, and slightly sub-optimal punishes on Fthrow if you read or noticed that they DI inside.

For Neutral, you lose too much mobility when jumping that it becomes less safe the more and more you do it. You need an obvious advantage, or an obvious predictable flaw from the opponent to make it a solid option. Even the basic options of shielding or rolling are harder to deal with once you jump, so be wary.

On Fthrow where they DI inside, you might have stronger punishes than running SH Fair or non-tipper Fsmash. If you have a bit of space (mid stage or just enough room to get a good running start), I would try running SH Nair instead. Will probably give you slightly more hitstun at very low % (some chars will threaten to combo break or jump out after your Fair), and might be harder to fully DI away. If you are near the edge but not totally offstage, I find Dair or tip Fsmash to be stronger. Same if they actually fly offstage after the throw. If they continue to DI inside past low-mid %, I would be fishing for those tip Fsmashes even if you have to walk forward/backwards a sec to do it properly.

Smaller note: for recovery, sometimes it's best to save your DJ for a very long time. Using the DJ immediately is beneficial if you are flying to the fringe of the blastzone and might die, but for situations where you probably won't even land in the bubble, saving it will give you more options. M2K saves it very well in Melee and is the prime example: because he saves the DJ, he gets more mixup potential and turns previously "easy" edgeguards into a bit more favorable for Marth's survival. Once that jump is gone, Side B stall and early Upb is generally all you have and it's sometimes not enough.

Last edited:

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
Haven't seen other vids, but I wouldn't be surprised if your Fox was better. 'Tis my opinon

Main two things I would notice: jumping too much in Neutral, and slightly sub-optimal punishes on Fthrow if you read or noticed that they DI inside.

For Neutral, you lose too much mobility when jumping that it becomes less safe the more and more you do it. You need an obvious advantage, or an obvious predictable flaw from the opponent to make it a solid option. Even the basic options of shielding or rolling are harder to deal with once you jump, so be wary.

On Fthrow where they DI inside, you might have stronger punishes than running SH Fair or non-tipper Fsmash. If you have a bit of space (mid stage or just enough room to get a good running start), I would try running SH Nair instead. Will probably give you slightly more hitstun at very low % (some chars will threaten to combo break or jump out after your Fair), and might be harder to fully DI away. If you are near the edge but not totally offstage, I find Dair or tip Fsmash to be stronger. Same if they actually fly offstage after the throw. If they continue to DI inside past low-mid %, I would be fishing for those tip Fsmashes even if you have to walk forward/backwards a sec to do it properly.

Smaller note: for recovery, sometimes it's best to save your DJ for a very long time. Using the DJ immediately is beneficial if you are flying to the fringe of the blastzone and might die, but for situations where you probably won't even land in the bubble, saving it will give you more options. M2K saves it very well in Melee and is the prime example: because he saves the DJ, he gets more mixup potential and turns previously "easy" edgeguards into a bit more favorable for Marth's survival. Once that jump is gone, Side B stall and early Upb is generally all you have and it's sometimes not enough.
Thanks for the tips I really needed that info. If anyone has any more tips feel free to put here. I appreciate the help

Last edited:

xIdkwtS

Smash Rookie
NNID
IdkwtS
Hey all, I'm new to Marth competitively and feel even more inspired after watching PP's Marth in Apex. I know its against a CPU on an LCD screen but I have no access to a human opponent or a CRT at home. Could anyone give feedback/critique? Off the bat, I feel like my movement can be smoother/more consistent.

http ://youtu.be/mtsUWz7J6pU

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Will be hard to give you meaningful feedback without human opponents. Best thing you can do is work on flawless execution, l cancels, getting Marth Uthrow CG on Spacies down, etc

xIdkwtS

Smash Rookie
NNID
IdkwtS
Thank you for the feedback. I'll try to grab some matches vs a human opponent but the ones around me aren't too good/competitive.

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
Oh boy...

I AM AWARE that my play style is VERY sloppy. I was disgusted by myself watching this ;-; This is the only video I've been uploaded in.

SSPM#6 | Swampy (Marth) vs. Berme (Sheik) | Loser…: http://youtu.be/Ci9qglnjoeo

I'm prepared for the entire 5 page essay that will follow to help improve my Marth. Thanks, everyone ahead if time. I need this

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
Mix up your options out of shield, NightRaid. I saw one wd oos that whole set. Don't go for paniced aerials when your spacing isn't right, try and mix it up with safe defensive options (or swat away the rangs). I know it's scary to lay of link and let him dip into his ranged toolkit but it makes you too predictable if you're nearly always running in pressuring him. When you're above link and he's not throwing out a horizontal move or otherwise out of stand, for the love of god don't dair. It's an great defensive option sometimes but only as a mixup. I saw a few situations where you could have dj waveland onto a platform but went for the dair instead. It's super telegraphed and you'll get grabbed or upb'd.

Be less predictable, don't use aerials at sloppy spacing.

BTW that link's punish game is super on, eh? I'm no expert at the matchup but damn

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Here is a video of my tech practice. This was after 2 weeks of work playing Marth and have NO experience with Melee/PM tech whatsoever. I want to know how I look in terms of progress and what else I should practice. My goal right now is to graduate from noob status. Thanks :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSH7ZF062Is
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Z01NXawoQceMjbPnuegbh4C_ECzAKOZ

Here's a good playlist if you want advice to train, alone.
I think you should prioritize movements and fluidity above all else, Marth is really good in neutral. And you have to master all his movements options, especially his Dash Dance

Last edited:

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
Thanks bruh, I need this because I have no one to play PM with close by, unfortunately. I understand that good Marth's are as slick as butter so I am definitely getting on top of his movement.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
Hey Marth players quick question that isn't worth making a topic. My CRT broke so I can't practice melee at all. Can I just play pm Marth to keep the rust off and get better by doing melee only things? Or will the difference between games be a hindrance rather than a help? Thanks in advance

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
Hey Marth players quick question that isn't worth making a topic. My CRT broke so I can't practice melee at all. Can I just play pm Marth to keep the rust off and get better by doing melee only things? Or will the difference between games be a hindrance rather than a help? Thanks in advance
Pm marth to Melee Marth is a rough transition. It's possible but not the best option

Top Bottom