• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Video Thread

Animage

Smash Cadet
for ness's approach if he hits you DI down and away from him. I think you can fair the pk fire
I got a vid now so maybe you could help out (please)
Also I just gotta say that I completely forgot about what you told me lol sry (had other matchups to keep in mind)
(stops at 5:10)
Man I feel like I struggle more against this character than anyone else at all
Is marth a bad match against Ness?

Edit: here's another one against a significantly better ness
start at 6:25

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I got a vid now so maybe you could help out (please)
Also I just gotta say that I completely forgot about what you told me lol sry (had other matchups to keep in mind)
(stops at 5:10)
Man I feel like I struggle more against this character than anyone else at all
Is marth a bad match against Ness?

Edit: here's another one against a significantly better ness
start at 6:25
I'm definitely seeing your problem now, Marth IMO has it good against Ness, so here I go.
- Your first problem the F-throw,F-smash. Instead if he's on the ledge jump above him and Dair or do an F-throw, F-throw, Shorthop Fair, Upair, Fair or F-smash.
- When he Up-b's Challenge it with Shield Breaker. It's a good edgeguard tool with time to charge it.
- Don't be afraid to go down there and Reverse Up-b him or interrupt it with Dair ( Just React Quickly or Go near him before he does it)
- PK Fire can be Crouch Cancled and Shield rolled out of or Smash DI'd and i think Fair can kill it because Fair can kil PK Freeeze

Animage

Smash Cadet
I'm definitely seeing your problem now, Marth IMO has it good against Ness, so here I go.
- Your first problem the F-throw,F-smash. Instead if he's on the ledge jump above him and Dair or do an F-throw, F-throw, Shorthop Fair, Upair, Fair or F-smash.
- When he Up-b's Challenge it with Shield Breaker. It's a good edgeguard tool with time to charge it.
- Don't be afraid to go down there and Reverse Up-b him or interrupt it with Dair ( Just React Quickly or Go near him before he does it)
- PK Fire can be Crouch Cancled and Shield rolled out of or Smash DI'd and i think Fair can kill it because Fair can kil PK Freeeze
Thanks, but I think fair causes pkfire to activate (leave that puddle of fire). Should I use it anyway?

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
http://www.twitch.tv/cushions29/b/552579413?t=51m52s

What did I do right?

What did I do wrong?

If you hear Skype. It's me. Not you. Maybe.
For what you did right I thought you handled the Neutral game properly.
but
Your spacing was a tad bit off.
Your combos were also off
and you don't seem to sweetspot your UP-b.

@ Animage Animage this can also relate

Fixing your combos.Short double Double Fair is a start. You can Shorthop Fair to Uair to Fair.
F-throw to Fair combos listed above.
Up-throw to Utilt chain to Uair to Fair or Uair chains at 0 orr 10% for light characters. A little higher for Medium and Heavy. Spacies are like Up-throw to Utilt at 40% though

Overall you seem to be like every Marth still learning the Character. You'll justt get better as practice

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Alright cheers man, gotta remember this is on netplay so some things are a little off.

Will try and implement what you said though.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Alright cheers man, gotta remember this is on netplay so some things are a little off.

Will try and implement what you said though.
Sorry for the delay though. If you need help in a specific MU I can most likely help

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I really don't like Lucas too much.

Feels like he up-smashes for free against us as you could probably see if I remember that footage correctly.

down-air last hit to up-smash, d-throw to upsmash if DI'd wrong. Just feels really annoying to play. Any special tips for him?

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I really don't like Lucas too much.

Feels like he up-smashes for free against us as you could probably see if I remember that footage correctly.

down-air last hit to up-smash, d-throw to upsmash if DI'd wrong. Just feels really annoying to play. Any special tips for him?
Crouch cancel should allow you to get out of the dair by rolling or shielding. DI'ind Down and away from his is your best best to get out of his Down-throw to Upsmash. Force him/her to approach and counter ( not to often ) or Fair.Try to interrupt Lucas's tether by grabbing the ledge and doing rising aerials ( Mostly Dair ).

Jacob29

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePYCmaAu3Fc&feature=youtu.be

I am definitely doing something wrong in this MU, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

The audio is a stream I was watching. Once again it is netplay so techs and whatnot aren't as good as they could be. I would also suggest picking a later game as opposed to an earlier one.

But yeah, the guy pretty much just spams Din's Fire.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePYCmaAu3Fc&feature=youtu.be

I am definitely doing something wrong in this MU, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

The audio is a stream I was watching. Once again it is netplay so techs and whatnot aren't as good as they could be. I would also suggest picking a later game as opposed to an earlier one.

But yeah, the guy pretty much just spams Din's Fire.
You went to all the stages with platforms. Instead go to FD or Greenhill zone where the teleport is a lot more telegraphed. Your spacing was also not quite there yet. I saw a few d-tilts here and there but nothing to major. You have to DashDance, run cancel d-tilt. Don't give Zelda enough time to set Din's fire everywhere. Jump-Cancel grab is Marth's best grab and should be used to interrupt the process of setting Din's fire, while effectively starting combos and rewarding stage control. I recently played a pretty good Zelda at a tournament ( friendlies ) and won. This is basically what I did. I also Fair'd the Dins Fire. I didn't reward the Zelda any stage control by getting rid of the projectiles and punishing really hard.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
You can Fair the dins fires and they go away?

How do you dash dance vs Zelda? I am not quite getting it.

If I dash dance he just sets up din's fires, and how can i jump cancel grab him if you puts them low on the ground? I then have to jump over them, which makes me vulnerable.

I know for a fact you are correct, but I would just like some clarification on those points.

edit: also just watched your video.

how do you tech ZSS d-smash like that?

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
You can Fair the dins fires and they go away?

How do you dash dance vs Zelda? I am not quite getting it.

If I dash dance he just sets up din's fires, and how can i jump cancel grab him if you puts them low on the ground? I then have to jump over them, which makes me vulnerable.

I know for a fact you are correct, but I would just like some clarification on those points.

edit: also just watched your video.

how do you tech ZSS d-smash like that?
If he sets the din's fire low, d-tilt them.
As far as Dash Dancing goes just get close to them and try to bait an F-smash and punish her.
That tech was a ledge-tech which is rather difficult to do, Sometimes it won't work because it usually pops you up but if you're really close to the wall near the ledge then you can buffer the tech.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Yeah, you can swat out Din's. If he feels safe enough to put up Din's when you're DDing then you're either not DDing close enough or not punishing appropriately. Your DD should be close enough to bait out attacks safely while shutting down Din's. Hopefully he throws out an fsmash, kick, etc and that's your opportunity to punish.

Commenting as I watch... Your spacing up close needs work, you're either whiffing or getting too close a lot of the time and both of those things give him options to punish. Don't get greedy with the utilts; you misspaced a lot of them and left yourself open for counterattacks. I'd use more grabs in general, uthrow is a great way to get her above you. More dtilts as mentioned. Don't be afraid to fish for a setup off Dancing Blade's first hit every now and then, setting up with that might've led into some of those utilts connecting.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, all these tips are really helpful.

Lil thing though how do you deal with PK Freeze? I mean if they are approaching with it, so you can't just run away as you have ran out of stage.

Do you just fair it?

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Yeah, you can swat out Din's. If he feels safe enough to put up Din's when you're DDing then you're either not DDing close enough or not punishing appropriately. Your DD should be close enough to bait out attacks safely while shutting down Din's. Hopefully he throws out an fsmash, kick, etc and that's your opportunity to punish.

Commenting as I watch... Your spacing up close needs work, you're either whiffing or getting too close a lot of the time and both of those things give him options to punish. Don't get greedy with the utilts; you misspaced a lot of them and left yourself open for counterattacks. I'd use more grabs in general, uthrow is a great way to get her above you. More dtilts as mentioned. Don't be afraid to fish for a setup off Dancing Blade's first hit every now and then, setting up with that might've led into some of those utilts connecting.
This is all true and applies to every MU especially the harder ones. The harder the MU the more the fundamentals are required. Basically d-tilt spacing, DashDancing ( DD ), Good Punish game, and a god combo game.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Thanks guys, all these tips are really helpful.

Lil thing though how do you deal with PK Freeze? I mean if they are approaching with it, so you can't just run away as you have ran out of stage.

Do you just fair it?
Counter is an option but don't make it an habit because then they'll bait the counter and no one wants that. Fair does get rid of it. though. PowerShielding is another option that I consider as dangerous as counter in it's own way because there's 3 outcomes. You succesfully do it and punish. You miss the shield all together and get punished and you just shield it and get grabbed.I don't know if I did it that set that I uploaded but I would attempt to Powershield the paralyzer and end up getting grabbed. I never counter. I forget that even exist really. But yeah Fair is the best option. Sorry to turn a sentence answer into a Paragraph

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Well, first of all, P:M Marth has something brought over from Brawl: his backwards Glide Toss. You played Zamus in Brawl, right? If so, then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, Marth's backwards Glide Toss covers a TON of distance and still lets you throw bananas. I've also read about throwing them upwards to prevent Diddy from getting them, buuuut I honestly have no idea how well this would work.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
New videos from me i just go fifth in SvB recently in London, any advice for DDK i think i should try to stop his side b with up tilt when he's recovering from the and learn to use his bananas more but i don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxxAD8ERDs&list=PL2odLL1MNaklaFWDDBN4wo3RtcA6kbltt&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pd_K6rdCec&list=PL2odLL1MNaklaFWDDBN4wo3RtcA6kbltt&index=3
The set vs Diddy and Rob you seemed to ignore their projectiles at times. Instead you should Wavedash to pick it up and use their projectiles against them. When Diddy uses side-b to recover I think you should up-tilt or side-b.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I played against Lucky this weekend as he is in Australia at the moment for Shadowloo Showdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOJ-Nqy7Qow
I think I did ok, anything I could improve on?
You played well but when it came down to getting kills and coming back you just started to F-smash everywhere. You didn't Dashdance to bait a move and punish and you also didn't side b to up-tilt to get kills. I didn't get to finish it. I'm about 1 stock in no the wolf match and I didn't see any chaingrabs

Charby

Smash Journeyman
You should chain grab wolf it's not that hard rly , you get a guaranteed combo every time you get it and don't be afraid to Waveland and grab him again if you're under a platform.
It would be nice if the op could list the videos , if you want advice for the mario matchup search the thread i uploaded one against shub

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I'm finding it really hard to see any videos of Marth vs Pit at a high level.

have you guys managed to find any? or played any yourselves?

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I'm finding it really hard to see any videos of Marth vs Pit at a high level.

have you guys managed to find any? or played any yourselves?
Pit and marth aren't common characters. I've seen Mew2King play the MU and he's played fox and Mewtwo against pit ever since that lost.Pit kills Marth so I would switch to one of my other characters but if you space perfectly, fair his arrows, Punish Really hard, Combo well and get some kills that don't take until 150% you should do fine.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
According to ZeRo (I take everything he says with a truck of salt), Marth wins slightly in that MU.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
According to ZeRo (I take everything he says with a truck of salt), Marth wins slightly in that MU.
I respect ZeRo a lot but as a top level player his expectations of Marth is really high. I mean he's played M2K's Marth hundreds of times but yeah Marth can win that MU but you have to be a really talented Marth main ( Like me ) Jk. I wouldn't say I'm that good.

D

Deleted member

i think pit is a better character, but i think marth wins that particular MU.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
So what's the gameplan vs Pit then? Just space him out with Fairs? and grab when he messes something up?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
My twitch must be funky cause those links do nothing for me

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's working now. Idk if your profile was under some buggy construction, if Twitch was going down, cause yesterday all your vids and profile stuff would not show much. I'll check it out now dat it works

Top Bottom