• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Video Thread

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
As requested by GHNeko I made a Marth video thread. Post videos and feel free to give tips on things people can improve on. You know what to do.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I'd say one of the first things I need to do is get a better opponent. 'Nasty' is getting kind of old. But I would like some suggestions for improving my Marth as well. I'm 'Zero.'

Video is here!

It's mainly meant to show a Final Destination mod I made but it's basically the way I play as of now.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Help this fellow with his decision-making skills--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyaTDKhgOw0
i watched only a little but the very first thing i noticed is the spacing. marth was either getting way too close to wario or letting wario get way too close to him. wario is WAY too dangerous to have body to body with you. use that sword and keep some distance between you two. just a quick tip.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Well, here's one and another one.

Why am I so bad?
The thing i saw the most was alot of dropped combos. marth relies heavily on combos and not just beating an opponent one hit every 5 seconds.i would also try mixing up the approaches. maybe nair, maybe run in and wavedash back, or dash dance. dash dancing is very helpful when it comes to marth seeing as he has a ridiculously long grab. also dont know if it was an accident or not but you did alot of fthrows to ftilts.i would suggest mixing up the grabs and tech chasing until you get them in a spot for a fsmash tipper. also for snake just as a character, i dont suggest this ALL the time(lol) but alot of his aerials are slow enough to react with a counter.

Anyone give me suggestions on improving my Marth?
My tag is "Zy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgIjSSEmIo8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIUGXEsgotw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXdL4rNadc4

Sorry about some of the videos. My opponent likes to quit the match mid-game a lot.
you approached alot with fsmash which isnt the greatest idea because its easily punished. also when fighting fast fallers like wolf or falcon i suggest upthrow,uptilt,upair strings to rack on tons of damage.also use the platforms above you to help.marth is very good at attacking people while he is under them.you had very good ideas with the wavedashing but when you attacked the spacing was a little off.

I'd say one of the first things I need to do is get a better opponent. 'Nasty' is getting kind of old. But I would like some suggestions for improving my Marth as well. I'm 'Zero.'

Video is here!

It's mainly meant to show a Final Destination mod I made but it's basically the way I play as of now.
one thing i noticed is that you would get extremely close when attacking mario. keep your distance you have more range than him.also i added alot of things to the matchup discussion that i know you posted in so you can check that out for some helpful tips instead of me reposting especially since it specifically deals with mario...also your final destination=coolest one i have seen yet.

hopefully this is helpful to everyone (i know that i am really late.lol). One thing that helped me alot was watching videos of M2K and DrPeePee(the new marth to beat apparently). Also wear the purple marth because he is bad a**.lol

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I've also been watching DrPeePee and M2K. I can't move nearly as fast as they can yet but I've been working on it. My hands aren't that coordinated lol. And yes that new Purple Marth is probably my favorite color now. lol

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
I've also been watching DrPeePee and M2K. I can't move nearly as fast as they can yet but I've been working on it. My hands aren't that coordinated lol. And yes that new Purple Marth is probably my favorite color now. lol
there is some drpeepee playin as marth in project m too. if you havent seen that yet (won a tourney with him about a month ago). its under vgbootcamp and you have to go to view all and just continue to scroll down. that may be more helpful because some people prefer to watch project m vids to help rather than melee vids.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
It's either or for me, although I will say that to me Project M Marth feels different than Melee Marth. Throws work a bit differently and some attacks are faster/slower than in Melee. That's what I've noticed recently anyway. I just started playing Melee again yesterday and immediately noticed how different he feels in Melee than Project M. I think that mainly has to do with Brawl physics though, except for fair... Fair is quite a bit faster in Melee than Project M. And it also seems to me like Marths forward smash has a bit more range... That may also be due to Brawl stuff though...

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Biggest mistake is being airborne too much imo. Vs Ness, he has a VERY hard time accurately pinning down a Marth who is DDing/WDing backwards/leaving options open on the ground. When you jump with Marth, you lose a lot of mobility. Even though Fair cleanly outranges most of his moves, you have a harder time dealing with his janky DJC, low to the ground approaches and momentum changes. For Ness, once you stop moving around as much, his goals become a lot easier. So the remedy? Stay grounded a lot more, and stay fluid as you do so. You're basically looking for opportunities to transition from moving on the ground, into the appropriate response at the time. Like if Ness is approaching you quickly, DD/WD backwards and wait a second. Don't just empty SH from mid range and hope to beat his approaches with a timed Fair, that's much harder to do and much easier for Ness to work around because you just stripped away a ton of mobility.

On the ground, you also have a variety of attacking options to try and deal with him. Ftilt and Dtilt some of his approaches, or even outright grab him if it's not Fair. Run away Bair can also work. When you get grabs at low %, try to go for another grab or for an offstage situation instead of trying to Fsmash/tipper. Those options are more efficient, harder to mess up, and can setup for scary edgeguards or tech chases. Past lower %, you can go for Fsmash or whatever.

Edit: If you want to know that MU perfectly, ask Sethlon or Awestin. Those 2 playing is probably the most representative of the MU so far.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk6Ct7sGLdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq3JYshnzYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUXf0CKs90

any tips ik i need to stop spacing with random fsmashes, and work on my jump canceled grabs, sweetspoting, and l-canceling (i think the missed l-cancels were nerves cause i am flawless when i play normally in a non tournament setting) btw i can also pivot flawlessly now so ik i was failing at that ALOT

thanks for anyone that puts time into watching this i really appreciate it

Last edited:

Koga_

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk6Ct7sGLdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq3JYshnzYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUXf0CKs90

any tips ik i need to stop spacing with random fsmashes, and work on my jump canceled grabs, sweetspoting, and l-canceling (i think the missed l-cancels were nerves cause i am flawless when i play normally in a non tournament setting) btw i can also pivot flawlessly now so ik i was failing at that ALOT

thanks for anyone that puts time into watching this i really appreciate it
first vid i noticed u were f smashing with your opponent at like 160 percent. Just fish for the nair in that case (less lag).
also, your move options with dair vs fair were iffy. U kinda daired when u shoulda faired quite a bit but it wasnt getting punished or anything but u definitely could have maximized damage potential and got better follow ups.
just remember utilt, fair (carry towards stage edges), and d tilt iasa frames.

d tilt especially man. wow. i just discovered the true utility of d tilt and realize why it's regarded as amazing

Koga_

Smash Cadet
also around 3:19 of the first video, that's an example of where u could have maximized damage. U nailed him with a nice fair and could have chained to utilt but instead used dsmash. I can tell you'll get alot better though from your movement and great nair usage (something i want to improve on)

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
first vid i noticed u were f smashing with your opponent at like 160 percent. Just fish for the nair in that case (less lag).
also, your move options with dair vs fair were iffy. U kinda daired when u shoulda faired quite a bit but it wasnt getting punished or anything but u definitely could have maximized damage potential and got better follow ups.
just remember utilt, fair (carry towards stage edges), and d tilt iasa frames.

d tilt especially man. wow. i just discovered the true utility of d tilt and realize why it's regarded as amazing
hey thanks man really appreciate it i hav started to use dtilt a lot now and my god is it nice. so safe, i have looked back and realized at those videos that i over did fsmash quite a bit. but yeah ill keep the utilt to fair into consideration i can see potential there

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Fthrow to Fsmash is much less guaranteed on heavy characters when they DI away. Same with Uthrow to Utilt at very low %: they can usually jump out. Just remember that for Link in the future. He seemed alright, I dunno how much to trust a Link guy that isn't using tether for recovery or edge tricks though.

Last edited:

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
He has a lot of fancy tricks as far as bomb drop to zair that throws the bomb at you.

Very funky stuff like that.

Agreed though, ol' boy wasn't using his tether at all. Must've choked after the first 3 stock.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Get a real recording device please, and yeah that link is not that good.
I'll be posting a lot of matchs from a tournament very soon.

Last edited:

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
i watched ur is fox match.........ik im not a expert but i hav seen tons of videos and play as marth myself...u should stay grounded more.....if marth is in the air and the other person isnt marth loses 80% of the time (especially against fox...damn upsmash) use down tilts and grabs more as well jabs every once in a while (<way more situational) as for edgeguarding him.....its sad to watch u go for tippers when he is recovering the way he did in the first few matches where he went straight up...space it so if he goes straight up u will tip him but if he rides the wall u will hit him and not get hit urself...if he DIs it correctly at low percent he will go up enough and not to far away........perfect for an illusion recovery....u will hav just recovered from the lag on it to either a) if he goes for the stage jab him till he is just below the ledge then get right next to ledge and counter the up b or b) he will go for the ledge down tilt or edgehog via wavedash if u hav time...........hope this helped

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Since i didn't play melee , i've no experience in this matchup. I need practice.
I know how to edguard fox in theory but when you 're playing a fox with 10 years of experience in marth matchup it's hard.
The main idea is to stay grounded, i agree. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Hey guys. Still pretty new, only started a couple months back. But heres a set between me and a buddy of mine if yall could give me some tips.

So far I know my wavelands need work. I keep missing them and getting punished and I have pretty bad DI. but not sure what else I need to focus on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRZIwGyMnVk

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
be careful when it comes to those raw fsmashes.....i understand one maybe two but not that many.....puts the opponent on the defensive and because of that u will miss a lot and they will punish u hard for it (did that my first tournament since then i have never done raw fsmashes) u can also as a mixup when u go in try using a well spaced down tilt...if he sidesteps u can hit him with another after or chase his wavedash/roll/jump. read what i said to Charby too, that isnt too big of a problem with u but doesnt hurt. u also can swat marios fireballs away with a fair/jab fyi.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
im always afraid he'll hit me while im swatting away fireballs. but i have a problem with my wave dashes in PM. i tend to turn around sometimes so im afraid of wavedashing around and down tilting cause i might be facing the wrong direction. but yeah i should really stop fsmashing so much

Top Bottom