• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Marth tutorial

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
MarthZ submitted a new guide:

Marth tutorial - Marth

First before I start the tutorial this is just what you can do with marth and whats avalible so I'm not all of the sudden talk about shield drops but I might give a little history lesson in between so lets start the tutorial.

1.Spacing
With Marth its important to space because all of his attacks are pretty range in them selves but if you hit your enemy with the tip of his sword it will send them back further and there will be more % damage the tipper is important with F air, D air, F smash, U...
Read more about this guide...

Toejam

Smash Rookie
I have some comments about this.

1.) What audience is this supposed to be for? It seems geared towards beginning Marth players, since you talk about simple basic skills like dashdancing and spacing and don't even mention slightly harder basic skills like SHFFLs or jump cancels on your dashdanced grabs. However, you don't explain any of the terms you use so beginning players may find this very confusing. If you're making a guide for Smash players who already play but are looking to start Marth, this is too basic to be of much use to them. You should pick one audience and adjust accordingly (explain concepts like spacing or baiting for newcomers, or include more advanced Marth skills in your list)

2.) The information presented is highly unorganized. You need to separate the information into different subcategories so that it's easier to read. Maybe Attacks/Skills would be a good place to start, then organize more as needed. You also need to organize your sentence structure better-- I had no idea what you were saying about dashdancing at the beginning due to the structure.

3.) I think you need to reevaluate your stance on Marth's dtilt. It's good for much more than edgeguarding. His dtilt is a great approach tool when not guarding and has a lot of spacing value as well.

I've seen your previous threads on Marth, and I don't mean for this to be rude but I think you need to improve your own skills as a Marth before you go trying to write guides. There's a lot of things you don't quite get yet, so I'd recommend playing against friends or in weeklies until you can get a hold of him better. Also you should probably watch more Melee matches with pro Marth players involved to see what they do.

Also, as a nitpick Marth doesn't have the longest grab range in the game. The longest grab ranges belong to tether grabbers like Samus, Link and Young Link.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I have some comments about this.

1.) What audience is this supposed to be for? It seems geared towards beginning Marth players, since you talk about simple basic skills like dashdancing and spacing and don't even mention slightly harder basic skills like SHFFLs or jump cancels on your dashdanced grabs. However, you don't explain any of the terms you use so beginning players may find this very confusing. If you're making a guide for Smash players who already play but are looking to start Marth, this is too basic to be of much use to them. You should pick one audience and adjust accordingly (explain concepts like spacing or baiting for newcomers, or include more advanced Marth skills in your list)

2.) The information presented is highly unorganized. You need to separate the information into different subcategories so that it's easier to read. Maybe Attacks/Skills would be a good place to start, then organize more as needed. You also need to organize your sentence structure better-- I had no idea what you were saying about dashdancing at the beginning due to the structure.

3.) I think you need to reevaluate your stance on Marth's dtilt. It's good for much more than edgeguarding. His dtilt is a great approach tool when not guarding and has a lot of spacing value as well.

I've seen your previous threads on Marth, and I don't mean for this to be rude but I think you need to improve your own skills as a Marth before you go trying to write guides. There's a lot of things you don't quite get yet, so I'd recommend playing against friends or in weeklies until you can get a hold of him better. Also you should probably watch more Melee matches with pro Marth players involved to see what they do.

Also, as a nitpick Marth doesn't have the longest grab range in the game. The longest grab ranges belong to tether grabbers like Samus, Link and Young Link.
on the grabs he covers the most range on a running grab his grab range is also bigger than yoshi's

Toejam

Smash Rookie
Well that barely addressed anything I said.

I'd like to see your source on Marth's dashgrab being longer than Samus's grab range. Also, so what if his grab range is longer than Yoshi's? I didn't list Yoshi as an example. I listed Link, Young Link and Samus.

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
Yea No offense but before making a guide make sure you have expirience and proper knowledge of the game and marth

WicketTheEwok

Smash Rookie
You really need to rework this guide. Honestly the guide is just a hot mess. Put some actual thought into it and learn more about how to play marth and his different matchups before posting misleading information.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
I would like to start on a more positive note. Thank you for your contribution to comunity with the intent of helping newer marth players.
Now as car as your guide goes... It is about as deep as a shallow puddle.
Prior to posting things as completed projects you should save them as drafts and rework them until they are more that a rough outline. Understandably this is an uncompleted work as you stated but to me it seems almost... Unstarted. Do more research next time and patch some of the mistakes given.

As far as people giving criticism please make sure it is constructive and link him the correct information.

Top Bottom