• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth trips over himself on Dreamland 64?

Scar

#HarveyDent
==THE VIDEO:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBpHylGW00s==

I've never seen it happen before to any other character.

I've never even seen it happen to HIM on any other stage.

But whenever I play Marth on Dreamland 64, I always seem to go for a double fair, utilt, or dash A (which I shouldn't do anyways, but that's a different story) and TRIP OVER MYSELF.

Apparently no one knew what I was talking about, and it never happened in front of anyone.

So I got it on tape.

Magus explains in the last post.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
At what time does it happen? I was watching but then I simply got caught up in the gameplay/music and I forgot what I was looking for :3

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I saw marth do something pretty odd at 4:14. Was that what you were talking about?

EDIT: nevermind, i'm an idiot, i stopped the vid before the end. Seriously though, what the heck was that?

EDIT 2: I made this post at 4:14 AM! I'm scared now

Scar

#HarveyDent
I edited the original post, I wanted to put the whole fight up anyways in case anyone wants to tell me what to do more/less of *cough*FSmash*cough*.

It's happened on more than one occasion, and I'm hoping I'm not the only person this has ever happened to.

'Cause that'd just be weird.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
You attempted an uptilt right? I have seen strange things happen with Marth's uptilt on Dreamland. Somebody else posted a vid where Marth utilted, but he only moved his arm a tiny bit but the person still got hit a tiny bit. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe it depends on the version of the game???

Scar

#HarveyDent
hahaha It's the Rolling Stones, of course I like it. Besides, I thought the lyrics were appropriate.

Like I wanted Marth to swing his big sword around and kill everything like he always does, but alas...

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
lol o_O

by the way, do you actually like that music? that'd be even weirder than the glitch O_O
Get better taste in music plz. Rolling Stones >>>> j00

Also, he dropped his shield right before doing... whatever it was, so it has to be either him dropping his shield normally, or grabbing, or a jump/jump cancelled something. But it doesn't really look like any of those (except maybe the grab animation if you slowed it down a lot), so I don't really know.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. You went for a shield grab. Why you decided to grab while Samus was behind you is beyond me. But before the animation could finish Samus D-smashed you.

Simple.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
thats definitely not a shield grab, marth swings his arm way in front of him for a grab, in the vid his arm barely went past his chest...seriously, turn on your game, go to training, zoom in on yourself and do it. it looks completely different. and if you say its just the beginnning of the grab animation, and he gets hit in the middle of it so thats why you dont see his arm swing in front of him, thats wrong. in the vid you can see him start to pull his arm back before he gets hit, he doesnt do that until after the attempted grab normally. so maybe the animation got messed up somehow, but if that was the case i think more than just his arm would look off.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth was pulling his arm back after the grab animation was coming to an end. Then he got D-smashed.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Its not a grab.

This happens to Roy, too. Just some weird glitch that dreamland has for them. I've only seen it effecting their tilts (other than the down tilt) and the neutral A jab. Its never really posed a problem, and doesnt happen too often, so i haven't worried about it. :ohwell:

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol Well I was in the middle of a comeback. Yes for some reason I played like an idiot for the first 2 stocks but still.

It looks a lot sillier when it's a tilt or especially dash A. And I wonder if it's for all versions of Smash or just in the version that I have.

AS Money

Smash Lord
lol that has never happened to me. then again i usually ban dreamland in tournys but for different reasons

AS Money

Smash Lord
no cuz the sides are so huge and some characters like peach and jigglypuff and anyone with a good recovery will not die untill 170% and we all know marth has problems with killing people above 120%

plus the platforms aren't fsmash tip hight

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Nice sig 56k, did you draw that?

Anyway, onto the match. You said you wanted some opinions on it, so here i go. I noticed that you usually approached the samus with either Fsmash or Nair, but both of those moves are too punishable for how you were using them IMO. I'd suggest replacing your 'approach' moves with Fair and grabs (definately more grabs, i think i only saw you use one, which resulted in a tipped Fsmash).

AS Money

Smash Lord
Yeah Dreamland is definitely the worst of the random stages for Marth, though depending on your opponent it might be better to ban one of the counterpick stages like Corneria.
actually i dont mind corneria for space anamals even though fox definitly has a major advantage with low ceiling and camping to the max there

there is one reason i dont mind corneria there are no platforms like FD so chain grabbing away from the wing is a great option there. also if marth gets up in the match he can camp under the wing which is nice cus the uptilt is almost perfectly shaped to hit anyone comeing strait down on you duh.

Husband

Smash Lord
Yeah, this happens usually with ground attacks on Dreamland. It usually happens to my Dash attack or my up tilt and its usually when the wind is blowing. It looks like marth is starting to swing and then stops and puts his sword away. It has cost me a life or two.

Its just a glitch on that stage that you have to accept. It wasnt a sheild grab or anything stupid like that. Dont worry dude, you're not crazy.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Try to learn that attacks other than c-stick forward exist, it'll improve your Marth a lot.

Work on your approach, it's way too predictable.

And practice your technical skill a lot more, it's severely lacking.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol Yeah that match wasn't really a serious fight - the only reason it's on YouTube is for the trippie part. And because I like the song.

AS Money

Smash Lord
Try to learn that attacks other than c-stick forward exist, it'll improve your Marth a lot.
take that back c-stick forward is the only thing good about marth other than c-stick backward

and on the new **** man you tryed really hard to get that. how long did that take

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Do you have Action replay? If so, make Marth's hitboxes show up in Debug Mode and make him trip. Maybe we can find something interesting from there.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I guess I should say what I sort of found out about it.

So first I played a one-on-one with a lv. 1 Marth and it happened within a minute. I got it to happen like three times, but I wasn't videotaping.

So then I put the camera on and had a 1-on-1 with a human Marth with the controller just sort of idly sitting there.

So I basically tried like an idiot doing nothing for maybe 15 minutes and no tripping happened.

Then when I caught what I did catch, it was (clearly) with a level 1 Marth again.

That leads me to believe that the opponent's activity effects it -- whether they just have to be moving or attacking or recovering or jumping or whatever is beyond me, but it definitely comes into play.

All in all it took me about a half hour. Even though I should be doing learning line integrals.

Scar

#HarveyDent
No, 56K, no AR, but I did hit with a tripped dashA and got it on tape. I can post it later if it's really that interesting, but I think someone with action replay who does it would be more helpful.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
If I have time, I will mess around with it in AR and see if I notice anything cool. I have no way to record it though. It would help if done by a person who could record.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol I think that species might be nearly extinct... also they might need to have whatever versions of the game have the "glitch," if that's what it is.

So if anyone has AR, can videotape, and has model DOL-006(USA) I guess, then do it. It's not hard.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
This has never ever happened to me and I play as Marth on DL quite a bit. Maybe there's a difference between disc versions.

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Thats quite interesting. I guess this could really make a turn around in a match. My friends and I saw happen about 10 months ago, but thought noting of it. I remember running towards him after a quick hit and trying to dash hit him, but nothing happened. He then killed me and I told them what happened (cause that match was mine). They didn't believe me, but now we have proof! Its strange though... I could probably get an AR and tape it so I'll try.

Top Bottom