• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Neutral Game help

weirdointheback

Smash Rookie
So, I had my defense worked on and it's pretty good. But I have the ****tiest neutral game, I was wondering if any of you have any guides or videos or can help at all when it comes to neutral game with Marth.

Mijah

Smash Rookie
Im sure youve already been told this 100 times, but Marth is all about the spacing. You can cancel most projectiles with his sword, and work on mixing up approaches with unpredictable movement.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Can't really help too much without seeing an video of how you play, but in general you don't want to throw out unsafe things like Dash Attacks or poorly spaced FSmashes or other unsafe things like that. Movement is a huge part of Marth's neutral game, so you should be Dash Dancing a lot (and maybe a few wavedashes to mix up your movement) so that it becomes difficult for your opponent to get a read on what you are planning on doing and exactly where you will be.

Last edited:

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Marth is amazing at controlling space so dash-dance and like ^Jayman-X^ suggested throw in wave-dashes to mix-up your pattern and avoid being predictable.

You want to react to your opponent's approaches rather than approach yourself.
React to whiffs with a grab or punish of your choice.

The reason it is advantageous to play Marth like this is that a lot of his moves are quick to to come out, but are quite laggy and punishable- rather than approach it's best to only commit when you are sure of an opening.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Dash dance.Bait, Capitalize on punish when baited, Down tilt to wall out their neutral space also keeping you at a safe distance with your fairs. The minute you full jump, you give up your neutral game. So try not to commit to that unless you know its an optimal option which depends on what character you're facing!

Retrolistic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-2606-7561
Really depends on the matchup too, but like everyone says: just space out whoever you can with whatever you can and bait/fish for grabs that can lead to many wonderful things (i.e. Forward-throw->Forward-Smash with someone's bad DI). Or just space them out to death with aerials.
You need to abuse Marth's movement like crazy, dash dancing and wave dashing is amazing for Marth. Just keep practicing movement and getting perfect L-cancels on your aerials.
Don't forget to use D-tilts, I can't stress that enough cause it's sooo good for spacing.

Top Bottom