• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Mixups as of this era

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I know we've talked about this before, but I'm sure ALL of our games have developed a bit over the summer, and I was curious as to the types of mindgames you all like to use now. I've also seen a number of people asking us to rate their Marth say they aren't good at mindgames, and in videos I didn't see many mindgames, so I figured this could also help out newer players. If I see something I didn't think of, I can implement it into my game. I'll also tell a few patterns I like to use. Feel free to bite off my style as much as you want.

Fair, Dancing Blade and Shield Breaker mixups:
The best options against Marth's Fair are RD and shield. After throwing lots of Fairs (which you probably do early) see how he likes to react. If shielding is the preference, mix in shield breakers. If dodging is the preference, throw empty SHFFs and mix it up.

If your opponent likes to shield your running approaches, then throw SB outta dash. This very often gets people, since Dashing generally means Dancing Blade (which is a bad idea to spot dodge) or Fair (which is a good idea to shield.) By mixing this up, you can break shields often. I break LOTS of shields this way. Primarily, I prefer to DB low combo a few times. Some noobs never get it, and always spot dodge my approach, in which case I never need to even consider mix-ups. But those that are smart enough to shield often get owned by the shield breaker.

I lol at faster players that see the shield breaker start up and spot dodge. Just charge the breaker a bit, so it hits them as they come outta the spot dodge.

When mixed in with Fair and Dancing Blade, shield breaker is the ultimate mindgame tool. Not to mention, even if they shield your shield breaker, and it doesn't break their shield, they can't shield your fairs or dancing blades for a while. A smart player will realize this, and start dodging around trying to regain their shield as you get to play aggro for a while, but it allows you to use some pretty nasty mindgames, like running past your opponent who is probably going to RD backwards, and Hyphen Smashing (UpSmash outta dash).

Foxtrot Studder-stepped Fsmash and Dsmash Mixups:
If your opponent likes to RD behind you, condition them to do this with Fair and Dancing Blade the same way. Now, instead of throwing SB (because that will ALSO miss if they RD behind you) then do empty SHFF and Dsmash, or walk and Dtilt to Dsmash.

Also, (this takes practice, and I haven't mastered it yet), if you can Foxtrot well, and you've conditioned your opponent to RD behind you, then you can fake a dash, but Foxtrot, and stutter step Fsmash backward. Sometimes, I just walk up to my opponent and Fsmash backward as well. It's relatively effective. I also seem to catch MANY people with a walking Dsmash. It comes out hyper quick, and not really punishable from tipper range if dodged. It shield pokes if the shield is low, but often, my opponent doesn't react quick enough (and I mean high level opponents and consistently often).

Fair and Nair mix-ups:
I love to fly at my opponent's with Fairs, and retreat the second one, to reset the position, chipping at the shield or landing a hit. Naturally, a smart opponent will figure out that to break this, you'll have to RD behind me, and RD early enough so you don't get hit by the second retreated Fair,, so often, I throw SHFFed Nairs, as a mindgame, but do not approach, so they roll right into the second slice. This is hyper effective, and I rarely see other Marth players do it. Sometimes, I don't even have to throw fairs, just do this often against people that like to RD behind you when you jump. It's a super safe option.

Dtilt to Usmash mixups:
Very simple. After initating a dtilt trap, you know all of your glorious options. I recommend sometimes using Upsmash as one of them, as it can stop almost ANY defense your opponent uses besides shielding (and shielding doesn't help in a dtilt trap situation). It owns jumping (their best option) and if you hyphen smash, it can own RDing. You must predict well and be fast for this mixup, so pay close attention to your opponent's dodging habits.

Ftilt and Jab mixups:
Lately, I've been realizing Marth's jab is a lot better than I originally thought. It works very similar to his Ftilt, without the power, but without the other drawbacks. I find walking up to a shield, and Jabing at maximum spacing is hilariously effective, especially if you mindgame people by walking up to the shield and throwing ftilt at max spacing, so they think they can punish, and get hit by the second swing of the jab.

Unfinished Dancing Blade to reverse Dancing Blade mixups:
So, I started doing this as a joke, because a) Dancing Blade is sexy and b) I try to teach my friends not to RD so much. But I've caught more than enough people in hitting with the first three parts of dancing blade quite a few times in a row, because they RD. I use forward, forward, down, because the down is the safest retreat. From here, the opponent thinks they are free, and they proceed to RD to 'safety' where I can just dash up and do it again. By not hitting they with the 4th hit, they stay grounded, and get owned by DB over and over. Once, I laughed at my opponent as I use only the first hit of Dancing Blade, in alternating direction, as they KEPT RD to the other side of me and hit them 4 times in a row. Then they RDed away, but I chased with DB and stopped on three. They RDed to the other side of me again, and I threw a tipper reverse Fsmash for the major lolz.

Also, in reference to most of the above mixups, after you died, most people will stand near the ledge to give you the most distance to travel so you can't abuse all of your invincibility. 90% of the time, non-pros will RD behind you. Make sure you punish this by waiting for the RD, and then reverse fsmashing, dsmashing, DBing, SHFF Nairing in place, or even Upsmashing.

(As a side note, when my brother respawns, he likes to walk right up to the opponent and stand there as they hold their shield. Right when his invincibility frames run off, he knows they'll drop the shield and attack. He attacks then, in the shield drop lag. The mindgame is HILARIOUS and epic. I gotta try it.)

Grab mixups:
You know what you can do outta release grabs on certain characters, and if you don't, go ask EL. I'm not going to go into those mixups, as it's more obvious and personal taste.

Fthrow to Fsmash or Fthrow chain throw work on many characters. At lower percent, I never pummel (grab attack), so my opponent doesn't expect them, and throw quickly, so they neglect to attempt breaking free. At higher percent, I pummel lots, to refresh Dancing Blade. Very, very sexy result of a fresh Dancing Blade at higher %, which is rare.

Dthrow or Backthrow to Fsmash. Works on some characters that fthrow wouldn't work on, but they use the wrong DI to evade. 0-4% only.

Uthrow. LOL @ not seeing this coming. Won't K.O. till absurd damage, but decent if you've been spamming Dancing Blade and hit with it like 15 times, lol.

Pseudo fthrow chain grab. Fthrow, walk and shield, to shield grab. Rinse and repeat.

Pseudo dthrow chain grab (doesn't work on larger characters, as I believe Dthrow has more ending lag on larger characters). On unsuspecting opponent's (which should be most of them, because I've NEVER seen another Marth do this) Dthrow reverse dashgrab Dthrow will link a few times, but it can be escaped. I believe on Falco, Marth, and a few other characters, the first two are actually guaranteed. Remember that there's more ending lag on the Dthrow if throwing larger characters.

(now for my favorite) Fthrow to Dancing Blade or SHDancing Blade. I know, you're probably thinking SHDancing Blade, ew wtf. But after a Fthrow, most people follow up with a Fair, and similarly how Dancing Blade owns a Spot dodge, it owns an airdodge, because you can easily follow it up to hit them in the lag before they can do anything after an air dodge.

Fthrow to Shield Breaker. Unlike Fair, Shield Breaker can be charged, to wait out the Airdodge, and packs a bigger punch, AND is usually not stale, AND hits from farther, so it works at higher percentages. Even if your opponent shields it (lol) it's still a good move, so mix it in after your fthrows after a while.

Dthrow to reverse SB. Epic mindgame. Highly unconventional ftw.

Dthrow to reverse dtilt. Works best if your opponent likes Airdodge a lot for no reason. Make sure to space appropriately.

Also, not a mixup, but lately I've been connecting a lot of Dair to Fsmash (risky I know). Anyone know if this is a legit combo at certain %? I know Dair has lots of ending lag, but it also has additional hit stun due to being a meteor smash. It might be more of a legit link to utilt or ftilt, since they come out a little faster. I gotta test more.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I personally love the dash to shieldbreaker combo, and I dunno I became accustomed to DB Down combo, last few hits get in, setups for a Ftilt for me.

Pierce have any vids? Marth sounds good.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Very nice guide, everything you mentioned is something that most if not all Marths should put into their game.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I personally love the dash to shieldbreaker combo, and I dunno I became accustomed to DB Down combo, last few hits get in, setups for a Ftilt for me.

Pierce have any vids? Marth sounds good.
Eh, two. Follow the link on my sig (the picture is a link) to my crew thread, and the first post should have two vids featuring Dan (me). The post is by Taiki.

Neither is at optimal play, because I was playing people I'm familiar played, so I have to use entirely different mindgames, and LOL at the match with my brother (vs Pit). If you really want to see me at work, I have loads of replays, and love to share, so just PM me your Brawl and Friend codes. Naturally, the hottest stuff I've ever done aren't on Replay because the matches were more than three minutes, but I've got some pretty cool stuff. I'm eventually going to make a compilation vid (sometime this year hopefully).

Very nice guide, everything you mentioned is something that most if not all Marths should put into their game.
Thank you. I'm about to edit again, because I just realized that I forgot to add in ALL of the grab mixups that I use, lol

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
ah ill PM them to you, like to see those.

and that's what im currently working on, Marth's Grab game and release.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Grab Mixups were a nice addition. Dthrow to reverse Shield Breaker seems really useful, I should start doing it lol. Its really amazing how much you can trick opponents with grabs. A simple fthrow will force the opponent to air dodge after you continously attempt fairs. Once you get that thought in the opponets mind you can fthrow, regrab, fthrow, regrab...uthrow, juggle, exc.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Grab Mixups were a nice addition. Dthrow to reverse Shield Breaker seems really useful, I should start doing it lol. Its really amazing how much you can trick opponents with grabs. A simple fthrow will force the opponent to air dodge after you continously attempt fairs. Once you get that thought in the opponets mind you can fthrow, regrab, fthrow, regrab...uthrow, juggle, exc.
Yep, conditioning is ftw, and Marth has awesome tools to condition.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure ALL of our games have developed a bit over the summer.
LOL NO WAY since i cant play my friends any more and im busy all the time:(
anyway an awesome mindgame i do is duck all the time(spam down) and the other guy sometimes craps himself up cuz you attack very quickly for him to notice after ducking 20 times

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
LOL NO WAY since i cant play my friends any more and im busy all the time:(
anyway an awesome mindgame i do is duck all the time(spam down) and the other guy sometimes craps himself up cuz you attack very quickly for him to notice after ducking 20 times
If you're referring to a Pit spamming arrows, then ducking is good, but a good pit will just start curving their arrows down. Duck and jump mix ups are good, but perfect shielding = more reliable IMO.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Pierce, I really like the idea of f-throw to SHDB. If done properly (dash towards them after the throw then

SHDB), I can see this becoming a common followup after a throw against certain characters. It would

work well against characters with bad DI and those who don't have really fast come out times on any

aerials/specials.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Just dropping by to say nice lengthy detailed post of the things you use to annoy me :p. And if the marth boards are interested pierce has 3 more vids up on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/taikii
anything labeled 7D or Dan is him.

Edit: And i assure all readers that this mixups work...well...even after reading these and experiencing them for weeks they still work...it's annoying.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Just dropping by to say nice lengthy detailed post of the things you use to annoy me :p. And if the marth boards are interested pierce has 3 more vids up on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/taikii
anything labeled 7D or Dan is him.

Edit: And i assure all readers that this mixups work...well...even after reading these and experiencing them for weeks they still work...it's annoying.
lol, save for those vids being crap quality, good looking out. And btw, I used Dthrow to reverse Shield Breaker today. It's tricky to pull off, but it *****.

Wow, those vids are really horrible. We gotta doctor that up, but if you turn up the brightness and the contrast all the way, you'll be able to see the match.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Here's something you may want to think about. As I'm sure you know, just standing there while holding

your shield drains it pretty fast. If you DB using the down version of the 4th hit, it kills almost half a

shield. Seeing as how people tend hold their shields when it's hit by DB until they're sure they're safe,

what if you DB down combo but you delayed each hit? They drain they're own shield just by holding it in

addition to the damage caused by DB. If you hit a shield with DB, you'll probably get punished, so you

may as well eat as much shield as possible.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Here's something you may want to think about. As I'm sure you know, just standing there while holding

your shield drains it pretty fast. If you DB using the down version of the 4th hit, it kills almost half a

shield. Seeing as how people tend hold their shields when it's hit by DB until they're sure they're safe,

what if you DB down combo but you delayed each hit? They drain they're own shield just by holding it in

addition to the damage caused by DB. If you hit a shield with DB, you'll probably get punished, so you

may as well eat as much shield as possible.
QFT. I do this often, but careful as some players don't just shield, but look for an opening and RD/punish. As always, make sure to mix it up. It's very effective after you land a SB to reduce most of the shield, or good if you plan to land a Shield Breaker after. I forgot to add this, thanks for reminding us.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm taking a leaf outta Emblem Lord's book and bumping an informative thread.

Now, question. The one move I never use is ftilt. I know it's suppose to stop frontal aerial approaches, but Fair just wins in the air anyway. Plus, Dash attack stops them better (I really do use Dash attack more than Ftilt). Anyone want to inspire it into my game? It really seems like everytime I might want to use it, I have a better option. Dancing Blade is a better approach. Dtilt is a better ground repellent, etc . . .

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I only ftilt when the opponent just jumps at me recklessly, which is rare. So yeah Im kinda in the same situation as you <<

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
About ftilt, I used to never use it, but i use it against people when they jump approach, and then fair or double fair them. I also use it as a mix up when they are expecting an fsmash.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm not necessarily saying it's safe, I guess I worded my post wrong, what I meant was so I could keep fsmash as fresh as possible because it is a better kill move than ftilt. That's what I meant by a mixup, I'm sorry that that wasn't clear.

edit: fixed, fsmash is a better killer than ftilt.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Good stuff. I'll definately incorporate some of it into my game.

Luckily for me, I do mix ups similar to what's in the first post already, but there were definitely some things I've never done before.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman

Now, question. The one move I never use is ftilt. I know it's suppose to stop frontal aerial approaches, but Fair just wins in the air anyway. Plus, Dash attack stops them better (I really do use Dash attack more than Ftilt). Anyone want to inspire it into my game? It really seems like everytime I might want to use it, I have a better option. Dancing Blade is a better approach. Dtilt is a better ground repellent, etc . . .
Alright, lemme give it a shot.

Picture your wildest dreams. These can come true with the F tilt.

9% without the tip, and 12% with the tip.

I'll humor you. It will kill from the center of FD at 165% from the tip.

The range is...from the diamond in the center of FD, you can stand at the end of the diamond and tipper someone standing in the center.

Good attributes -

strongest of the tilts, including d tilt which only does 10% tipped. it also has longer range than the D tilt.

good way to stop projectiles, SH fairs for some characters, and sliding grabs.

Decent knockback so you can adjust your spacing, works well with lighter characters IMO.

Bad attributes -

Slower attack

easily punishable

So I think the good outweighs the bad, but by the time I got to the bad attributes, I got lazy and tired.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, lemme give it a shot.

Picture your wildest dreams. These can come true with the F tilt.

9% without the tip, and 12% with the tip.

I'll humor you. It will kill from the center of FD at 165% from the tip.

The range is...from the diamond in the center of FD, you can stand at the end of the diamond and tipper someone standing in the center.

Good attributes -

strongest of the tilts, including d tilt which only does 10% tipped. it also has longer range than the D tilt.

good way to stop projectiles, SH fairs for some characters, and sliding grabs.

Decent knockback so you can adjust your spacing, works well with lighter characters IMO.

Bad attributes -

Slower attack

easily punishable

So I think the good outweighs the bad, but by the time I got to the bad attributes, I got lazy and tired.
dtilt is easy to follow up, and is not punishable if spaced properly.

utilt kills much, much sooner, from anywhere, even with DI, lol.

Dancing Blade deals 13-16 damage on average.

all of the above have decent knockback to adjust your spacing. In fact, even jab has enough to respace.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
dtilt is easy to follow up, and is not punishable if spaced properly.

utilt kills much, much sooner, from anywhere, even with DI, lol.

Dancing Blade deals 13-16 damage on average.

all of the above have decent knockback to adjust your spacing. In fact, even jab has enough to respace.

lol, ok touche. I use f-tilt at low % after SOME SH Fairs....come to think of it, I really think f tilt is good for pushing back at low % after using d- tilt, or other moves.

But i dont know about u-tilt providing good spacing, or at least better than f-tilt, seeing how far back you can be.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

lol, ok touche. I use f-tilt at low % after SOME SH Fairs....come to think of it, I really think f tilt is good for pushing back at low % after using d- tilt, or other moves.

But i dont know about u-tilt providing good spacing, or at least better than f-tilt, seeing how far back you can be.
True, utilt doesn't provide good spacing, but I wouldn't use it if you're at that range. Dtilt, Fair, DB, Fsmash, or SB all work better in their respective situations.

I used to do Fair, Fair, Ftilt when the game first came out. I use Dancing Blade now. It's too ****.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
True, utilt doesn't provide good spacing, but I wouldn't use it if you're at that range. Dtilt, Fair, DB, Fsmash, or SB all work better in their respective situations.

I used to do Fair, Fair, Ftilt when the game first came out. I use Dancing Blade now. It's too ****.

Yeah, for the sake of more pressure and speed, etc. D tilt is more preferred in most situations I would believe.

...lol, Dancing Blade is so good, I wouldn't possibly argue f tilt instead of DB. it's like blasphemy.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice

Well what i do is this..I just grab the guy and beat him til he get out of it..and i just use Ftilt to knock him back or If it's ike, snake or any characters with a 3 hit jab combo, I use the Ftilt To counter the jabs and if i'm lucky, I'll get them with the Ftilt. If the Jab and the tilt gets cancel out, then I use another Tilt to counter if he try to jab again..But this is based on my experience and the people i play against so i hope this help

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well what i do is this..I just grab the guy and beat him til he get out of it..and i just use Ftilt to knock him back or If it's ike, snake or any characters with a 3 hit jab combo, I use the Ftilt To counter the jabs and if i'm lucky, I'll get them with the Ftilt. If the Jab and the tilt gets cancel out, then I use another Tilt to counter if he try to jab again..But this is based on my experience and the people i play against so i hope this help
Pummel to ftilt I never do, because Dancing Blade is faster, and deals more damage. If your ftilt clashes with a jab, and your opponent tried to jab again, and you ftilt again, you probably lose, since most jabs in the game come out frame 4, and will outspeeed you.

Top Bottom