• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Matchup thread.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Marth is very similar to his melee self so to Marth players the thing to learn in this game is how to deal with all the new match ups. It is where i'm having trouble.

For instance I would like to know what to do versus Mario. That dude is messing me up. Can't get a solid handle on it.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I'm a professional at dealing with Mario now after many annoying super angering matches. (Cape pisses me off so much because it's so easy to hit Marth with it). The way I deal with Mario mostly is playing the waiting game. Let them make the first move. When I'm playing with fireball spammers, I generally swat them away with a neutral attack, F-tilt or U-tilt depending on where the Mario opponent is trying to come in. F-tilt if theyr'e approaching directly and U-tilt if they're trying to approach from above really. If you time it right Marth's sword dwill go right through the fireball and hit Mario's b**ch a**. To try to counter the cape, I usually mix up my recovery, either delaying it for quite a bit, or immediately recovering to the stage, I try to keep it unpredictable. That cape is the most infuriating thing to me. There are a few videos on my youtube channel of me playing CPU Marios which I used to have just as much trouble with as human Mario opponents. Most Mario's use that frickin stupidly overly long lasting sliding dash attack a lot.. I usually counter that with a short hop N-air or F-air. Ummm... other than that I can't think of anything else. If you get a good hit combo the crap out of him and knock him off stage. I haven't gotten the timing down on spiking him out of his Up-B yet because Mario's Uppercut has way too much priority/frame advantage or whatever the term for it is... I pretty much hate Mario with a passion lol. I think too many of his attacks are overly ridiculous.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
i agree with alot of the things you said Amazerommu. especially when it comes to the cape because as marth you are pretty defenseless against it...Mario is probably the most well rounded person in the game in my opinion but the key is marth's range. your sword will cut through the fireballs i suggest the fair as the safest choice because you can double s-hop fair which means you can play keep away with him and his fireballs or you can approach. also with the right timing you can edge guard mario pretty well. bair seems to work alot in this case (just watch out for fireballs and make sure to attack in between his capes). and if you do get the timing right the spike is always great even if its a trade because while you kill him he only takes a few of your coins.lol.also if you are not prepared for edgeguarding quite as well you can dtilt or just fsmash and see how good they are at ledge teching. also another thing i rarely see marths do anymore is tech chasing. with one of the most outrageous grab ranges in the game, you have to use it. i mix up dthrow,fthrow,and bthrow and tech chase alot. you can get off quite a few grabs because he will hit the ground about 90% of the time especially if you mix it up. and with all the mix-ups you will be sure to be able to get a fsmash tipper off of one of the throws.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
i agree with alot of the things you said Amazerommu. especially when it comes to the cape because as marth you are pretty defenseless against it...Mario is probably the most well rounded person in the game in my opinion but the key is marth's range. your sword will cut through the fireballs i suggest the fair as the safest choice because you can double s-hop fair which means you can play keep away with him and his fireballs or you can approach. also with the right timing you can edge guard mario pretty well. bair seems to work alot in this case (just watch out for fireballs and make sure to attack in between his capes). and if you do get the timing right the spike is always great even if its a trade because while you kill him he only takes a few of your coins.lol.also if you are not prepared for edgeguarding quite as well you can dtilt or just fsmash and see how good they are at ledge teching. also another thing i rarely see marths do anymore is tech chasing. with one of the most outrageous grab ranges in the game, you have to use it. i mix up dthrow,fthrow,and bthrow and tech chase alot. you can get off quite a few grabs because he will hit the ground about 90% of the time especially if you mix it up. and with all the mix-ups you will be sure to be able to get a fsmash tipper off of one of the throws.

Yeah I've been trying to work on tech chasing as well. His pivot grab is especially good. I haven't perfected it yet but I'm working on incorporating it into my gameplay. And it is definitely a good technique to use against Mario, especially with his dash attack. Dash backwards as he's sliding toward you, do a pivot grab and yank him by his plumber boots lol. The timing for a spike on Mario is ridiculous. His Up-B is almost instant to me it seems.

D

Deleted member

i think mario is way better than marth, but the MU is pretty close. start by using only upthrow, fair, and dtilt from neutral and go from there.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
When I play this match up on the mario side of the coin, I have a lot of difficulty approaching marth. Fireballs can be pretty much be negated by any move you have, and mario's range is kinda lacking. He edge guards marth pretty hard, and mario himself is pretty hard to gimp, seeing how good his recovery is. So I guess the things to remember is abuse your range, and be careful on how you recover. If you remember those two things, I believe this match up should be a lot easier for you marth players.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've been trying to work on tech chasing as well. His pivot grab is especially good. I haven't perfected it yet but I'm working on incorporating it into my gameplay. And it is definitely a good technique to use against Mario, especially with his dash attack. Dash backwards as he's sliding toward you, do a pivot grab and yank him by his plumber boots lol. The timing for a spike on Mario is ridiculous. His Up-B is almost instant to me it seems.
also if you are comfortable going off stage you can get behind him when you know he is going to upb and bair him into the stage. that may be a little easier to do until you get timing down on his upb for a spike.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Oh yeah I'm definitely comfortable going off stage. And I definitely never thought about bair for a stage spike. I will definitely start practicing that one. Can be quite an effective early kill against Mario.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah especially if the opponent is not ready to tech either.its a pretty helpful move against a handful of characters (situational). also throws people off because most of the time they never expect it.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Yeah knock him off stage, knock him out of his recovery all the time. Unlike Ness, Lucas' recovery is garbador so if you knock him farther from the stage he most likely won't recovery if he's already used his jump.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
marth vs wolf?
marth vs lucario?
marth vs lucas?
yeah and when lucas is trying to recover with his snake his head goes over the stage so you are always able to hit him when he is trying to recover. when it comes to wolf, you can follow the same way marth has to play fox and falco. he can chain grab the spacies easily with upthrow. anything from there is your choice (i suggest juggling with utilt and uair until they are in death percentages). against lucario you have to use your range. lucario is fairly easy to combo with marth. he is almost the perfect weight for it.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Marth vs Lucario is free as hell.

I actually think Wolf does pretty good against him though. Wolf is really good at getting in on a committed swing.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Marth vs Lucario is free as hell.

I actually think Wolf does pretty good against him though. Wolf is really good at getting in on a committed swing.
yeah.marth vs lucario is the free-est (if thats a word).lol. and yeah a really good wolf should plan to try to always stay almost inside of marth because that is marths weak point. just have to space it and use good juggling as he does on any spacie

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
What is Marth's worst matchup? I'm trying to find a co-character for my main, G&W, and since I feel Marth is my worst match-up I would like to choose a secondary character that I can pull out to **** marth in tourney.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
What is Marth's worst matchup? I'm trying to find a co-character for my main, G&W, and since I feel Marth is my worst match-up I would like to choose a secondary character that I can pull out to **** marth in tourney.
Orly? I'd say a good Mario or Ivysaur is a 'tougher' matchup for Marth... But most people I'd say play Marth enough that you're not gonna be able to "****" them in tourney. They would definitely be some tough matchups. If Marth messes up his recovery, Mario's cape is a free stock. And Ivysaur's razor leaf and long-range-get-'em vines are just good enough to outspace Marth if you play your cards right. It's easy for Marth to swat away those razor leaf attacks though so I wouldn't rely on those too much if you end up going with Ivy.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Sheik, hands down.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah sheik is fairly tough when using marth. for me personally it is someone who out ranges me. so i have had a few issues against ike and zero suit.granted it was metroid's ike and oro's ZSS. even though i still was able to take away some matches from them.so also i think you would have a better chance with characters like that since they are newer than someone like sheik. they still have plenty of surprises that no one expects.and even though sheik can get the job done, we all know and expect the things she will do since she has been a heavily played characters for about 10 years now.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Zard seems pretty good against Marth. He has speed, strength, and thereabouts equal range with Marth. Plus, Zard is heavy as hell and, like peach, doesn't die for like, ever. Unlike Peach, however, he combos like ****in' mad. Zard players seem to agree that he has a lot of priority where Marth does not. A demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HP8LwmXPI

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Zard seems pretty good against Marth. He has speed, strength, and thereabouts equal range with Marth. Plus, Zard is heavy as hell and, like peach, doesn't die for like, ever. Unlike Peach, however, he combos like ****in' mad. Zard players seem to agree that he has a lot of priority where Marth does not. A demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HP8LwmXPI
yeah he was another one but i just couldnt think of it.the only thing i can really suggest in this matchup is tech chasing alot since he is so big he is pretty easy to get on any of his rolls. and i would suggest being super aggresive with aerials since you can swing your sword faster than he can attack

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
yeah he was another one but i just couldnt think of it.the only thing i can really suggest in this matchup is tech chasing alot since he is so big he is pretty easy to get on any of his rolls. and i would suggest being super aggresive with aerials since you can swing your sword faster than he can attack
You really can't reliably attack faster than Zard. It's weird, but, pretty much true. He can outspace your aerials with ground moves too. Tech chasing is a must, though, you're right about that. His crouch cancel also beasts almost every aerial approach that Marth can do.

D

Deleted member

what is an "aerial approach" and why is marth doing those? you should stop that nonsense.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I mean spacing SH nairs and fairs is like, never effective, right? You totally can't ever get grabs out of that nonsense.

D

Deleted member

at least we're on the same page then.

marth sucks at aerial approaches. never do them ever.

D

Deleted member

a dedicated act of aggression using an aerial attack on the opponent from a neutral position.

marth sucks at it. don't ever do it.

axiom1

Smash Rookie
I've got a really simple and stupid question. I'm a total DI noob and keep dying to Ivysaur's f-throw (or b-throw) if I'm grabbed at the ledge with ~100% (can't remember the exact lowest percent I've died at).

How should I be DI'ing against the f-throw? Should it ever be outright killing below 100%?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ivy Fthrow strong throw. Good luck desu~

TheNumber47

Smash Rookie
Let's talk about Ivysaur... I don't like this MU at all. Razor leaf covers the mid range very well where Marth excels. She has good range on Aerials to combat you. She has good air control with Uair and Dair so you can't juggle her that well. I can combo her pretty well at low percentages but nothing amazing. She edge guards you pretty hard, and I can't ever edge guard with out over extending myself on a read: DJ out and hitting her out of her jump. In fact, I feel like any time Ivy feels pressures she can just retreat to the ledge and I can't do much about it... Any advice?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't know actually. I haven't gotten to play Denti outside of teams so it's hard to say. This MU requires a lot of precision and very good CC/counter attacking probably to win: I did this a bit with Roy and I had to try decently hard.

Denti

Smash Master
I don't know actually. I haven't gotten to play Denti outside of teams so it's hard to say. This MU requires a lot of precision and very good CC/counter attacking probably to win: I did this a bit with Roy and I had to try decently hard.
You'd probably beat me. We are like 0-4 or something like that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Maybe. Although the only recent time was LTC with MK, and that's a MU I do extremely good in regardless. Ivysaur is a beast to be feared!

Top Bottom