• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth matchup help

Goob121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goob121
My friend plays some marth, and when I'm Falcon I just can't seem to get in... his marth seems like a very aggressive marth. How does one deal with aggressive marth play?

bboss

Smash Journeyman
As a former Falcon main, I can confirm that Falcon definitely has some problems approaching. I would suggest approaching using aerials: fullhopping and then fast-falling a nair, approaching with stomp, etc.
Overjumping and bairing just before landing works very well too. If none of this works, just try letting him approach you. You are both playing characters who are very, very aggressive. Just let him come to you. Give him a shuffled aerial to the face when he does, such as a nair or up air.
Marth Falcon is an even matchup, so if you play it well you should be able to win it. A common misconception with Falcon is that you MUST run in and attack, and this is definitely true on FD. HOWEVER ON ALL OTHER STAGES, Falcon can easily control the pace of the match if you utilize platforms well. If your opponent jumps up and pressures you, shield drop -> up air. This works extremely well with Falcon. Also use nair as a neutral / retreating move. This works very well in the neutral game.
So basically you don't have to rush in and attack unless on FD. When you do rush in, if he has a tendency to forward-tilt, for example, power shield, wait for the hitbox to end, then rush in and grab -> dthrow-> aerial. If you do approach.
Hope I helped.

Goob121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goob121
As a former Falcon main, I can confirm that Falcon definitely has some problems approaching. I would suggest approaching using aerials: fullhopping and then fast-falling a nair, approaching with stomp, etc.
Overjumping and bairing just before landing works very well too. If none of this works, just try letting him approach you. You are both playing characters who are very, very aggressive. Just let him come to you. Give him a shuffled aerial to the face when he does, such as a nair or up air.
Marth Falcon is an even matchup, so if you play it well you should be able to win it. A common misconception with Falcon is that you MUST run in and attack, and this is definitely true on FD. HOWEVER ON ALL OTHER STAGES, Falcon can easily control the pace of the match if you utilize platforms well. If your opponent jumps up and pressures you, shield drop -> up air. This works extremely well with Falcon. Also use nair as a neutral / retreating move. This works very well in the neutral game.
So basically you don't have to rush in and attack unless on FD. When you do rush in, if he has a tendency to forward-tilt, for example, power shield, wait for the hitbox to end, then rush in and grab -> dthrow-> aerial. If you do approach.
Hope I helped.
Uggg... I posted on my phone and it autocorrected... I meant falco. I dabble in some falcon though so it helps :)

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Ohhhh hahaha I realized after posting that it said character discussion: Falco and I was like o crap...

But I have some advice!

Falco Marth is even. You can pressure him with lasers, but he also has a crazy up-throw chain that can zero-to-death you. Falco can be played very defensively, so just shl and wait for him to approach. Lasers are pivotal in any Falco player's gameplay, and when you are not with striking distance, you should be lasering to apply pressure / tack on extra % / make him approach you. Lasers can do a lot of things for a Falco (I also used to play Falco.)
Just wait him out. Go to FD if you can. Marth is really really really aggressive and he has to approach. His response to your SHL will be to double jump to try to approach you, so just full hop -> laser.
And if you have to approach try using the weak hitbox of Falco's shffld nair (the one by his crotch). Back when I shield-grabbed, I played one of the best players in Canada (that's where I live) and I got rekt because he would use descending nair on shield, landing behind me, so I couldn't shield-grab, and I shield-grabbed all the time. When I didn't shield, the nair hit and popped me right into another one of his nutty combos.
Anyways, the moral of the story is: nair for approach if he shields. Marth response to Falco descending nair on shield is dair out of shield, so make sure you shield so that: 1. You don't get hit (obviously) and 2. It throws off his l-cancel timing so you have a larger window to punish.
If he does miss his l-cancel just f-smash out of shield.
Okay so I just rambled about one scenario. Also approach with dair, overjump bair, etc.
Hope I helped.
And hope I got the right character this time :)

Goob121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goob121
Ohhhh hahaha I realized after posting that it said character discussion: Falco and I was like o crap...

But I have some advice!

Falco Marth is even. You can pressure him with lasers, but he also has a crazy up-throw chain that can zero-to-death you. Falco can be played very defensively, so just shl and wait for him to approach. Lasers are pivotal in any Falco player's gameplay, and when you are not with striking distance, you should be lasering to apply pressure / tack on extra % / make him approach you. Lasers can do a lot of things for a Falco (I also used to play Falco.)
Just wait him out. Go to FD if you can. Marth is really really really aggressive and he has to approach. His response to your SHL will be to double jump to try to approach you, so just full hop -> laser.
And if you have to approach try using the weak hitbox of Falco's shffld nair (the one by his crotch). Back when I shield-grabbed, I played one of the best players in Canada (that's where I live) and I got rekt because he would use descending nair on shield, landing behind me, so I couldn't shield-grab, and I shield-grabbed all the time. When I didn't shield, the nair hit and popped me right into another one of his nutty combos.
Anyways, the moral of the story is: nair for approach if he shields. Marth response to Falco descending nair on shield is dair out of shield, so make sure you shield so that: 1. You don't get hit (obviously) and 2. It throws off his l-cancel timing so you have a larger window to punish.
If he does miss his l-cancel just f-smash out of shield.
Okay so I just rambled about one scenario. Also approach with dair, overjump bair, etc.
Hope I helped.
And hope I got the right character this time :)
Yes thank you!

duckypotato

Smash Rookie
if this marth likes to approach you and swing at you then use back air to stuff his jump, and hit his feet with a high laser. you can also just shield if he jumps and shine OOS when he swings.

The key to the marth matchup is making sure that you keep him locked in your pressure when you get an openings. Marths fastest OOS option is his grab at 7 frames, meaning you should be able to pressure him safely until he gets shined, grabbed, or rolls and you can just follow. Play the neutral safe and throw out walls until you get an advantage.

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
one little trick i like to do is laser pressure them until they shield and act like you're gonna go in and wavedash back to bait a shield grab, free punish =D

Top Bottom