• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Match Up Trivia Challenge

TheYellowBlaze

Smash Cadet
From my experience, Marth destroys Ganondorf. I feel like he is also strong against Robin. You can literally just jab Arcfire and most of the Arcthunder variants, which makes it so Robin can't do a lot of his followups. I could be wrong though as, admittedly, I don't really have any TRUE Marth experience (tournaments), nor do I play enough Marth anymore.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff
I'm not convinced about that. We haven't really seen top level Jigglypuff play yet vs Marth.

Intuitively, you'd think it's way in Marth's favor, but every time I see the MU or experience it myself, it's always 50/50 - very close.

From my experience, Marth destroys Ganondorf. I feel like he is also strong against Robin. You can literally just jab Arcfire and most of the Arcthunder variants, which makes it so Robin can't do a lot of his followups. I could be wrong though as, admittedly, I don't really have any TRUE Marth experience (tournaments), nor do I play enough Marth anymore.
Dath's Robin is pretty amazing, Robin has a hoo ha that kills very early, and projectiles that work well vs Marth. I'm not convinced it's better than 50/50.

I think Ganondorf is a similar situation to Jigglypuff, we haven't seen top players use Ganondorf vs Marth.

Example - Tweek recently destroyed abunch of top players using DK, including MkLeo's Cloud.

Think how many tier spots Bowser jumped after the Nairo vs Mr E game, and after Nairo started using Bowser more in general.

Some people debate that perhaps DK is better than Bowser.

I think the tier list is lagging far behind the actual strength of the characters in reality, and I think Marth is drastically over rated.

Last edited:

TheYellowBlaze

Smash Cadet
Dath's Robin is pretty amazing, Robin has a hoo ha that kills very early, and projectiles that work well vs Marth. I'm not convinced it's better than 50/50.

I think Ganondorf is a similar situation to Jigglypuff, we haven't seen top players use Ganondorf vs Marth.
After rereading my post, I want to clarify that I don't think Marth had a huge advantage against Robin, I've just always felt his ability to stuff out a few of Robin's key projectiles gives him an upper hand against Robin. (That probably isn't as strong of a factor as I think it is, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Also, you do make a solid point about the Ganondorf match up, but I still feel that Marth wins/would win the match up.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
After rereading my post, I want to clarify that I don't think Marth had a huge advantage against Robin, I've just always felt his ability to stuff out a few of Robin's key projectiles gives him an upper hand against Robin. (That probably isn't as strong of a factor as I think it is, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Also, you do make a solid point about the Ganondorf match up, but I still feel that Marth wins/would win the match up.
I agree, good points.

Doesn't :4marth: win against :4feroy: +1 according to False?
Idk. I've never seen False's Marth play vs a top Roy either.

Last edited:

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
Shielding Jigglypuff vs a Marth.

Anyway, I think Marth wins against Mario, but only slightly. If a Marth spaces out Mario well, we pretty much wins unless Mario gets a grab, but even then we can dolphin slash or counter.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm sorry but Marth and Lucina destroy Puff. Marth and Lucina have few bad matchups (as few as 1, Sonic) or as many as about 8 or 10, but realistically like 4. They go even with a huge chunk of characters but beat the rest. :4yoshi: :4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4kirby: are the 4 easiest.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Marth does not have a solid MU spread.

His best MUs are vs Ganon, Dk, and Bowser, he goes even with those characters, and it starts going downhill from there.

And Marth doesn't beat Mario, Ally just loses to a particular play style. He lost to that random Kirby the exact same way, because he plays unsafe and doesn't respect opponents options (Why should he, he's Mario)

There are only three decent Marth mains, and they all have been performing poorly lately. Mr E and Pug didn't make it out of pools in ZeRo saga or Gen4.

MkLeo is the only Marth with wins in the last few nationals, except he lost at Frostbite.

Marth is over rated because Leo is good and ZeRo wanted to say Marth is top tier because he isn't good at the MU, even though Diddy definitely wins.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
So when Marth wins a tournament game against another characters, its because of MU inexperience / Player Skill, but if he loses the game, thats proof that he's overrated and loses the MU? I'm legitimately not sure if this is intentional trolling or not.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
So when Marth (Leo) wins a tournament, it's because Marth is a good character - but when Marth loses, it's because of lack of MU experience and player skill?

Yeah, you said it backwards. I fixed it for you though.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
So when Marth wins a tournament game against another characters, its because of MU inexperience / Player Skill, but if he loses the game, thats proof that he's overrated and loses the MU? I'm legitimately not sure if this is intentional trolling or not.
It's trolling. They said Marcina's easiest matchup was Bowser and DK. That's how you know. Im moving on. Cheers.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
"They" said.

I'm just saying, in my opinion, the MUs are in favor of DK and Bowser because they completely control offensive pressure which means they control the neutral. Watch Nairo vs Mr E. Watch Leo vs Tweek(although that is Cloud, the MU concept carries over similarly to Marth and Bowser v Marth). The results show it. If you have ever fought a good DK, you wouldn't be arguing that it is in marcina's favor.

And I made the point that Leo's results are mostly because of player skill, and the credit shouldn't be given to Marth so much. Mr E and Pug drowned in pools in the same tournys that Leo won - ZeRo saga and Gen4. If Marth was top tier, Mr E shouldn't be losing so consistently to random midtiers like WFTs and Yoshis. Marth just has too many unfavorable MUs to be top tier, imo.

False accusation of trolling is, itself, trolling.

I'm just stating my opinion, I'm not slinging insults or anything. It's a discussion forum, don't take it personally.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
"They" said.

I'm just saying, in my opinion, the MUs are in favor of DK and Bowser because they completely control offensive pressure which means they control the neutral. Watch Nairo vs Mr E. Watch Leo vs Tweek(although that is Cloud, the MU concept carries over similarly to Marth and Bowser v Marth). The results show it. If you have ever fought a good DK, you wouldn't be arguing that it is in marcina's favor.

And I made the point that Leo's results are mostly because of player skill, and the credit shouldn't be given to Marth so much. Mr E and Pug drowned in pools in the same tournys that Leo won - ZeRo saga and Gen4. If Marth was top tier, Mr E shouldn't be losing so consistently to random midtiers like WFTs and Yoshis. Marth just has too many unfavorable MUs to be top tier, imo.

False accusation of trolling is, itself, trolling.

I'm just stating my opinion, I'm not slinging insults or anything. It's a discussion forum, don't take it personally.
Yes. "They". Gender neutral.

You're acting like you didn't know where this was going. After you linked me a youtube video with the comment "do you even Marth", we both knew where this was going.
His best MUs are vs Ganon, Dk, and Bowser, he goes even with those characters, and it starts going downhill from there.
You said they were Marcina's best/ easiest/ Marcina favor... now you're saying Marcina loses? I consider those matchups even tbh.

Yeah I agree Mkleo is mkleo; his success is his own, not Marcina's.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I said Ganon Dk and Bowser go even with Marth - and they are also some of his best MUs. Imo.

Top Bottom