• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth in teams

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
I want to know your opinions on Marth in teams.

Although I'd like to think that I'm good at playing Marth in teams, I still feel like there is a lot of potential with Marth in teams that we all still need to untap.

The big questions on my mind are:
1.) What is Marth's role in teams?
2.) Aside from Fox, who are Marth's best teammates?
3.) What should Marth's mental approach be in teams?

I know that there are still some Marth mains out there that still play him in teams. Offer me your insights!

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Marth is more of a support in teams. He can set up and continue combos very well, help his teammate recover and negate launches with first hit Nair or SideB, his good disjointed hitboxes are good for constant and safe pokes, good gimping power, and can force tech chases or chaingrabs. His regular weaknesses are amplified in teams, though: CC hurts, has some trouble keeping up with fast matches, and predictable recovery.

I'm not tournament player, though, so it's purely my opinion. Feel free to correct me, but that's how view Marth's role.

MT_

Smash Ace
Funny that you make this thread considering that you're the one that probably has the most to offer on terms of playing Marth in teams. I haven't personally invest a lot of thought in Marth in teams but I'll say what I do feel upon what I've experienced thus far.

Marth is definitely relatively worse in teams than he is in singles, but he's not bad by any means either. It's just that Marth's offensive sequences take much more time than other characters (Fox generally aims for shorter combos, and other characters have simply faster combos and don't capitalize on juggling as hard as Marth does). But Marth's edgeguarding prowess combined with having a teammate to help edgeguard should guarantee most if not all edgeguards.

Marth's mental approach in teams depends heavily on the stage IMO. In larger stages where the game is more likely to devolve into two 1v1s, the Marth should focus on winning his own 1v1. But on smaller stages I think Marth needs a teammate that can play the aggressor role so that Marth can focus on zoning/poking/converting stray openings into kills.

IDK, everything I just said is the product of some shallow analysis of my experience to date with teams and it probably doesn't have any value but maybe there's something in there you might find insightful. I'm curious to your thoughts to your own questions though.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what are You trying to do?

I could see double zoning with puff and marth where they kindof force them into the spot of having shield bairs and YOu get grab rest combos and if they try and approach well it's marth's dd/moves and puffs weaving bairs

projectiles suck but they'll cp You to smaller stages because puff is either a tank or a glass cannon so if You,re comfortable with that.

puffs biggest flaws is if she's knocked away then it's a 2 vs 1 for marth or puff but both can often stall(ledge or jump) enough to break their patience.

but marth's big things in team are he has team finishers(general), grab, dd, and he can just be bait.

just the whole whiffing issues, size, combo food, awful recovery, milding shield options, and really rolling against him is so funny in 1 vs 2 if they don't back up. yeah seems like them being stupid but really YOu can either space for them to roll past Your team mate or YOu can space for them to hit Your team mate.

If You,re going marth in teams YOu better be abusing his dd threat of moves and grab more than anything or have that as a poivit point for the team he can't be as flexible as fox

Top Bottom