• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth/Fox main switching to Samus

Bloochoi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I am a (self-proclaimed) pretty technical fox player who started maining Marth about a one month ago.

Now, for Pluppish reasons, I find myself wanting to learn Samus.

I have a few questions:

1) Everytime I drop from a platform and attempt an MC, the missile never comes out!
--With that said, I know there is a difference between a guided missile and the strong missile. I know that I need to get a strong missile in this situation, but what is the secret to doing it?

2) What is preferred, a normal dash into down-tilt (which is possible in short dashes because Samus's fox trot is small, as you all probably know more than I do), or a dash into a wavedash into down-tilt? I know that the wavedash option is better for f-tilts because it allows you to turn around and whatnot.

3) Does a low-angle f-tilt cover fox/falco side-b sweetspot? As a Marth player, I love edgeguarding low level spacies because they love to instantly go for a side-B, so I was wondering if Samus has a similar gimp.

4) What hits of the f-air knocks up spacies? And how is the hitstun? Please give me explanations compared to other moves such as a Falcon's stomp on spacies.

5) For a SHFFMC, through frame-by-frame testing I think we have like a 2 or 3 frame window to go from "down" on the stick to "forward" on the stick... And with that said I have a similar problem to #1, how the hell do you get a strong missile rather than a guided missile?!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
(1) Super missile : homing missile = smash attack : tilt. You're either not pushing the stick far enough, or you're moving the stick before you press B.

(2) Samus dash-wavedash is faster than dash->run assuming you're aiming to hit somewhere beyond max length wavedash range. If you're aiming for a shorter range, it's probably faster to dash->run->crouch->dtilt simply because wavedash takes 13 frames. If you're aiming for a very short range, you can't crouch out of dash, so just walk -> dtilt.

(3) Uptilt and d-angled fsmash hit lower; I don't think d-angle ftilt hits low enough to cover the sweetspot height. (Also, none of these will cover shorten afaik.)

(4) You can look this up yourself at http://ikneedata.com/calculator ;) Hits 1-4 hit at an 85 degree angle (near up), whereas hit 5 hits at the Sakurai angle (45 degrees up and forward assuming they're in the air). It's like a million times less hitstun than Falcon stomp, which gives you enough time to go to the bathroom and eat lunch before following up.

More seriously, just look at the calculator and see for yourself.

(5) The fastfall must be frame perfect, and the missile input has to happen within 2 frames afterward. You have to go from down -> smash the stick to the side and press B (apparently quarter-circle and the like can work.)

Last edited:

Bloochoi

Smash Rookie
Thanks a ton bro!! Yeah for some reason I have an issue with my super missiles... I found that if i go from down to towards then I get a guided missile.. So i just decided to do down to back, then to towards and it works :o

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Samus is a really technical character in her own right. SHFFMC is one of the harder techniques in the game that doesn't require frame perfect execution.

Top Bottom