• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Down Throw to Under Stage Punish/Edge Guard

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
Something kinda interesting I found while playing Marth: https://gyazo.com/136ed1a866880d52c52ebac1e88f845e
If you want to see it in gfycat form: http://gfycat.com/EmotionalAnyGnat

How I set this up is that I got to edge of the ledge, D-Threw him and was able to get an under the stage D-Air punish/edge guard.

EDIT* It does work on (what looks like) all stages for the most part (thanks to Smash Twin t1mmy)
Wasn't exactly sure what to call this either. I also understand this tactic was already discovered, but this list just simplifies which characters it works on and not. Also, some of these do work with Roy. If you want to see a little more of an advanced detail on this, check out this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3hp7qn/new_marth_tech_skill_choke_slam_founded_by/ I'm also not 100% sure on every character, all of these tests have been tested with Marth. And if you are wondering, I'm fairly certain that some of the characters can tech out of this, but most likely won't. These are at least the ones that worked when I tested it for the most part.

Who it works on/doesn't work on:
Captain Falcon - Yes
Bowser - Yes
Marth - No
Dr. Mario: No
Mario - No
Luigi - No
Peach - No
Yoshi - No
Donkey Kong - Yes
Ganondorf - Yes
Falco - No
Fox - No
Ness - No
Ice Climbers (Popo) - No
Ice Climbers (Nana) - Not Tested
Kirby - No
Samus - Yes
Zelda - No
Sheik - Not Tested
Link - No
Young Link - No
Pichu - No
Pikachu - No
Jigglypuff - No
Mewtwo - No
Mr. Game & Watch - Yes
Roy - No

[All tests were done on FD but work on most stages]

Last edited:

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
xXadevs2000Xx I'll be honest, I didn't know, but I will keep this up as it will allow more people to see this (hopefully)
I also feel as if my list is more simplified and tells if it works or not, but with this knowledge, I might be able to make the list updated (with the thread on reddit)

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see someone's reaction to that lol.
Could they tech off of the stage if they saw it coming?
As I mentioned, yes, someone can in fact tech it, but they probably wouldn't see it coming unless you do it too often

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
As I mentioned, yes, someone can in fact tech it, but they probably wouldn't see it coming unless you do it too often
Lol, if they tech it you're ****ed. They regain jump from the grab so they can just jump and bair you.
Additionally, they can just walltech jump and bair and use their jump afterwards.

But yeah, they probably won't see it coming unless you've already done it and/or they've seen it before.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
I honestly see no reason at all to do this. If you could grab them from off stage, that means you could have done a plethora of better options - d tilt, fsmash, fair, dair, neutral b, etc.
To quote mango "you don't want to give your opponent a chance to be a good player"

Last edited:

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
I honestly see no reason at all to do this. If you could grab them from off stage, that means you could have done a plethora of better options - d tilt, fsmash, fair, dair, neutral b, etc.
To quote mango "you don't want to give your opponent a chance to be a good player"
You never know dude, it could be handy :D

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Sure, but it isn't as stylish.

galan0

Smash Rookie
haha that's funny i literally just found this out by messing around against a CPU Samus and checked online to see if anyone else knew this. With the game being this old i was sure someone else found it out, but nice job on testing characters.

To update your list, I tested it on Sheik and it doesn't work unfortunately. I'm sure not a lot of people will notice this tech, and i'm sure it isn't very easy to execute in a match considering you have to tippy-toe the edge for it to work.

EDIT: tested these on Battlefield, and i feel like its most beneficial to use on this stage

Last edited:

Nessboy12

Smash Rookie
NNID
android5000
Switch FC
SW 5307-4178-2413
haha that's funny i literally just found this out by messing around against a CPU Samus and checked online to see if anyone else knew this. With the game being this old i was sure someone else found it out, but nice job on testing characters.

To update your list, I tested it on Sheik and it doesn't work unfortunately. I'm sure not a lot of people will notice this tech, and i'm sure it isn't very easy to execute in a match considering you have to tippy-toe the edge for it to work.

EDIT: tested these on Battlefield, and i feel like its most beneficial to use on this stage
From what I can tell, if you do it on BF, it's death at high percents. (Assuming you don't tech it)

Top Bottom