• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Discovery/Combo/Tech Thread

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
Hey all.

Just as I didn't see one I thought I'd kick off a thread for us all to drop any discoveries/tech/successes we've had with the game (and Marth) thus far. Sure there's a lot to be learned and hopefully we can help each other out some.
Will chuck some of my notes and thoughts in here tomorrow when I'm more awake (up late again playing the game! >.<)

Cheers.

MoytheBoy

Smash Rookie
Possible combo? If you short hop tipper fair and then fastfall; you can land a down tilt which leads to a combo string of short hop fair into down tilt. Only tested against Mario and not sure if they can get out of it (first time testing this type of stuff). But I got up to 52% ish where the knock back makes it impossible to connect another hit.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
Possible combo? If you short hop tipper fair and then fastfall; you can land a down tilt which leads to a combo string of short hop fair into down tilt. Only tested against Mario and not sure if they can get out of it (first time testing this type of stuff). But I got up to 52% ish where the knock back makes it impossible to connect another hit.
In terms of training mode the combo indicator is a fairly decent indication of whether the cpu can act or not between your hits. In this instance, I don't think you'd be able to combo fair landing into a D tilt as not only is the landing lag too significant but the kb from the tipper fair puts them too far from you even at zero. However, short hop ff aerials into fox trots and tech chases are very much Marths game plan this time around. I'm only really scratching the surface myself, but nair is basically what you want to be landing with. It continues its trend of being a fantastic move for marth and serves as your b and b combo starter as far as I can see so far, boasting the least landing lag out of his aerials (pending verified frame data as its quite close between nair and uair).

I'm also firmly cemented in the belief that marth is better than lucina (despite fears to the contrary) actually because of the sour spot just as much as the tipper. Marth simply nets more combos off of nair at low percent than lucina manages (and for longer) and considering this is his lowest risk approach option, this is a massive plus in his favour.

To clarify for your combo then, you can definitely land a sour spot nair into double fox trot D tilt at lower percents and get it to combo in training mode. Same can be said for a lot of options there.

Last edited:

EctoILLusion

Smash Rookie
In terms of training mode the combo indicator is a fairly decent indication of whether the cpu can act or not between your hits. In this instance, I don't think you'd be able to combo fair landing into a D tilt as not only is the landing lag too significant but the kb from the tipper fair puts them too far from you even at zero. However, short hop ff aerials into fox trots and tech chases are very much Marths game plan this time around. I'm only really scratching the surface myself, but nair is basically what you want to be landing with. It continues its trend of being a fantastic move for marth and serves as your b and b combo starter as far as I can see so far, boasting the least landing lag out of his aerials (pending verified frame data as its quite close between nair and uair).

I'm also firmly cemented in the belief that marth is better than lucina (despite fears to the contrary) actually because of the sour spot just as much as the tipper. Marth simply nets more combos off of nair at low percent than lucina manages (and for longer) and considering this is his lowest risk approach option, this is a massive plus in his favour.

To clarify for your combo then, you can definitely land a sour spot nair into double fox trot D tilt at lower percents and get it to combo in training mode. Same can be said for a lot of options there.
I'm landing falling fair into short hop fair. Can be sour or tipper. Could also do falling fair into d tilt or f tilt. Short hop fair won't net any combos

DanStrife

Smash Rookie

Phatty

Smash Cadet
Lucina has a great way of killing early out of a down tilt followed by a jab lock.
at 80 - 105~% you can do Down tilt > Jab 1 (lock) > Fsmash. It kills from the middle of the stage
https://twitter.com/DanStrifeSSB/status/1072002567113199616

after 105~% the d-tilt send dem too far to get the lock, but you can follow up with a run cancel down smash and kill them as well
https://twitter.com/Mars_SailorMoon/status/1072572906578825218
That setup is amazing! You know, even if they hit their tech you may be able to option select. Tech rolls are usually 40 frames and jab1's FAF is 26. So if you jab right when the tech starts you will have 15 frames to get them. If you buffer dash after the jab you can probably get either an Ftilt (frame 8) or a Dsmash (frame 6). So if the jab lands then you Fsmash; if they tech and the jab whiffs then you follow them and Dsmash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom